TA Playlist

Messageboard for all things TA Playlist

Dead Space - Spoiler Free

• Posted on 02 October 19 at 13:00Permalink
    No spoilers in here please.
  • KodingKoding883,908
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 13:08Permalink
    To all of you playing this month, I hope you enjoy it. Me? I'll be the one over in the corner, rolled up in a fetal position, mumbling to myself "November won't have scary games" over and over.
    62 LEGO game completions on 6 different platforms across TA, TT, and TSA! Over 3,500 achievements/trophies earned in LEGO games!
  • Ginn0rzGinn0rz219,104
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 13:16Permalink
    My favourite survival horror title of all time. This game was perfection. The sound direction alone is magnificent. I highly recommend playing this with good quality headphones.

The story is really well put together. I also recommend the animated films Dead Space Downfall and Aftermath. They give further exposition, as there can be a lot to take in plot-wise when you're playing / desperately trying not to crap yourself.

For my first play through I focused on the One Gun achievement, using the plasma cutter only. I didn't feel this negatively affected my experience of the game at all. For my second run through on Impossible I had freedom to use all weapons.

I am looking forward to getting my teeth into Dead Space 2.
  • ClockwerksClockwerks753,303
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 13:42Permalink
    VERY good game, just like its sequel.

I still haven't played DS3, but I plan on doing that some day as well. RIP Visceral Games though.
  • Rista BRista B405,639
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 13:58Permalink
    One of the best games of the 360 gen. Unfortunate that EA and Visceral couldn't figure out how to keep the series going better than they did.
    Remember Philando Castile, a fellow gamer, a human being, Rest in Peace
  • SeitzzSeitzz682,626
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 14:18Permalink
    Koding said:
    To all of you playing this month, I hope you enjoy it. Me? I'll be the one over in the corner, rolled up in a fetal position, mumbling to myself "November won't have scary games" over and over.
    I can get behind that sentiment. I simply cannot do the horror genre, even suspense is pushing it for me but is tolerable. I hate jump scares, even though they're just momentarily, that lurch in my chest does not feel good.

That being said, for an easily jumpy person, how would anyone rate this game from that standpoint? Very scary or not really?
  • ShinnizleShinnizle761,473
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 14:21Permalink
    I don't remember much from this game other than it was really good, but I don't want to do it on the hardest difficulty laugh
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • ZWZW1,005,075
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 14:22Permalink
    A few good jump scares but not too bad. Fun achievement list!
    ??ZW???????????????????????????????????
  • KugareKugare1,837,067
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 14:32Permalink
    Remembers me that i always wanted to play part 2 and 3, even if some say the first is the best one. Anyway, have fun guys.
  • eohjayeohjay707,210
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 16:23Permalink
    Seitzz said:
    I can get behind that sentiment. I simply cannot do the horror genre, even suspense is pushing it for me but is tolerable. I hate jump scares, even though they're just momentarily, that lurch in my chest does not feel good.

That being said, for an easily jumpy person, how would anyone rate this game from that standpoint? Very scary or not really?
    I'm not a big fan of the survival horror genre. I'm not an easily jump-scarey person, but I'm not a fan of the "lurch in the chest" feeling that you described. Most of these games are very suspensful and have tense atmospheres. As a result I feel on-edge the whole time I play them. I'd rather be chilling out and playing something that relaxes me. Survival horror is not that laugh

That being said, I played this a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed it. It did impart the tense atmosphere and was very suspenseful, but it was very well done. I still don't really seek of survival horror games, but I am glad to have played this one! I will eventually play the rest of the series and can recommend it as a very solid game overall.
  • YaziteYazite344,807
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 17:17, Edited on 02 October 19 at 17:17 by YazitePermalink
    Fun game. Fun completion. It's not really that difficult to beat on impossible difficulty.
    Wake me, when you need me.
  • PuckJunkiePuckJunkie573,123
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 18:27Permalink
    Kugare said:
    Remembers me that i always wanted to play part 2 and 3, even if some say the first is the best one. Anyway, have fun guys.
    The first one is the best, but the second one is nearly as good and is possibly more polished. DS3 was a pointless waste, sadly. I'm a huge fan of the first two games, and a huge fan of co-op, but co-op had no place in that game.
  • Posted on 02 October 19 at 18:27Permalink
    I know it wasn't that difficult to complete. But looking back, I find the TA ratio to be a bit low for how frustrating I remember some of it being.

I remember playing with headphones on (highly recommended) and hearing a somewhat obscure Three Stooges reference. Awesome game.
  • FrogDog001FrogDog001369,710
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 21:12Permalink
    I'm actually playing through the game for my first time right now and I'm enjoying it a lot. It's not as scary as i figured it would be but it still has gotten me to jump a few times.
    Frogdog001
  • Kerman7Kerman7623,130
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 21:25Permalink
    Enjoy the game all. It's pretty good even for someone who doesn't like horror games.
  • Osmo76Osmo76579,789
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 21:59Permalink
    Koding said:
    I honestly didn't find it very scary. You could usually tell when something's gonna try and surprise you. Maybe I should try it in the dark with headphones on, though.
  • BetaSigX20BetaSigX20304,997
    Posted on 02 October 19 at 22:11Permalink
    Osmo76 said:
    Koding said:
    I honestly didn't find it very scary. You could usually tell when something's gonna try and surprise you. Maybe I should try it in the dark with headphones on, though.
    I wouldn't say it's not scary, especially if that's not your thing, but I agree that it's pretty easy to identify where the scares are coming from, especially after the first few levels. I think they throw most of the "horror" parts of the game at you at the beginning, to set the tone, and after that it turns into more "suspense/action" than outright horror.

I really enjoyed this game, first played it in 2009, and then finally went back and finished it in 2016. The final playthrough on Insane is definitely tough, but not nearly as bad as it could be. Just remember... stick with the plasma cutter, and go for the limbs!
  • Posted on 02 October 19 at 22:19Permalink
    If another entry in this series ever comes around it will be a day 1 purchase for me. Hope everyone enjoys and definitely use the heck out of the plasma cutter!
  • Posted on 02 October 19 at 22:49Permalink
    The best game of the series, and an amazing game in itself. Wish there were more games like this that had a mixture of jump scares and atmospheric tension.
    I do like it when the red stuff comes out.
  • Posted on 02 October 19 at 23:47Permalink
    I love this game! I still remember the game informer magazine for it lol. I would probably consider it the best game in the series! (following a linear line down for the sequelscry)
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.