Industry News Forum

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Randy Pitchford and Former Gearbox Lawyer have Dropped Their Lawsuits

AuthorMessage
Maverick Hiro
450,152
Maverick Hiro
Posted on 04 October 19 at 19:29
Stream Family said:
Isn't anyone going to laugh at the composer not getting royalties from a duke nukem game? How much money could it possibly be?
1$ per copy sold. Let's say Duke Nukem 3d: 20th Anniversary World Tour sold 50,000 copies across all the platforms it's available (though i'm pretty sure it was more than that). 50,000$ is a lot of money for work you did 20+ years ago.
"The fear of Blood tends to create fear for the Flesh"
Guirec730
298,828
Guirec730
Posted on 04 October 19 at 20:02
If the USB drive was really containing illegal materials of the sort claimed then the gentleman making the allegations should have never dismissed them under ANY circumstances. There were either backdoor deals made or it was a false statement.

Regardless, Pitchford is still scum for what he did to Colonial Marines.
State of the badass art.
MugenKairo
242,912
MugenKairo
Posted on 04 October 19 at 20:23
iMaginaryy said:
Mr Li4bility said:
MugenKairo said:
Guirec730 said:
Shouldn't there still be a criminal case for Pitchfords child porn?
Exactly! That alone should throw him under the hammer? Whats the magic trick that he claims he was watching? Watching himself get a boner wanking off to kiddies? Paedophiles are simply the worst kind of people...
I’m confused here, did this actually happen or was the just something they were trying to use in the counter lawsuit and was just a lie?
From my understanding it was recordings from a cam girl, which I'm pretty sure you kinda have to be 18 for, and was probably 18. Barely legal was the term used. So think of that what you will, but that's what I found when I looked into it. The cheese pizza came later as a way of sensationalizing and blowing it up afaik. As others have said, I'm sure if it was legitimately child porn, they would likely not be dismissing it.
If that’s the case I regret jumping without exercising my due diligence first. You get a bit spooked when you’re a parent and complaints are made regarding child pornography.

Regardless, his history wasn’t a stellar one; he definitely wasn’t my favourite in the industry.
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan
WEBHEAD 7
422,554
WEBHEAD 7
Posted on 04 October 19 at 21:13
Guirec730 said:
Shouldn't there still be a criminal case for Pitchfords child porn?
facepalm first comment.

Obviously there was none, or at least it couldn't be proven that there was. I'm not particularly a huge fan of Pitchford and his behavior, but this is a good lesson in not being quick to pre-judge
Cenosis
76,884
Cenosis
Posted on 04 October 19 at 21:33
Thee old let's both concede we're a-holes and forget the past ever happened trick. Typical.
EarthboundX
1,098,940
EarthboundX
Posted on 04 October 19 at 21:58, Edited on 04 October 19 at 21:59 by EarthboundX
Mr Li4bility said:
MugenKairo said:
Guirec730 said:
Shouldn't there still be a criminal case for Pitchfords child porn?
Exactly! That alone should throw him under the hammer? Whats the magic trick that he claims he was watching? Watching himself get a boner wanking off to kiddies? Paedophiles are simply the worst kind of people...
I’m confused here, did this actually happen or was the just something they were trying to use in the counter lawsuit and was just a lie?
Yeah, it was not underage porn, it was from a cam girl, whom have to 18 years old.

Why he would carry that around with him with his business documents, I don't know. So nothing illegal, but odd for him to do.
SheBeatsYou
186,986
SheBeatsYou
Posted on 04 October 19 at 22:27, Edited on 04 October 19 at 22:28 by SheBeatsYou
I am almost 100% sure if there was underage PRON on the drive the kid that found it would have noticed that when he loaded it on his computer. He obviously looked thru it in order to get in contact and return it to Randy for the SWAG and would have said something or reported it.

Still Randy is an asshat for everything else he does. facepalm
Netechma
133,439
Netechma
Posted on 05 October 19 at 06:02
Mr Li4bility said:
MugenKairo said:
Guirec730 said:
Shouldn't there still be a criminal case for Pitchfords child porn?
Exactly! That alone should throw him under the hammer? Whats the magic trick that he claims he was watching? Watching himself get a boner wanking off to kiddies? Paedophiles are simply the worst kind of people...
I’m confused here, did this actually happen or was the just something they were trying to use in the counter lawsuit and was just a lie?
Exactly. Unless I misunderstood as well these were allegations that were dropped and never proven. They are extremely serious ones so I am sure they were investigated. Severe insinuations like that are not likely to go ignored. We would be hearing more about this if it were true, right?
A Batwoman
595,762
A Batwoman
Posted on 05 October 19 at 08:35, Edited on 05 October 19 at 08:41 by A Batwoman
Who cares all Satanist anyway. Made Borderlands 3 a money grabber game. And ruined great characters.
Youtube.com/TheBeauxty
Because Im Ryan
Posted on 05 October 19 at 14:31
Randy is a really good magician - he made his lawsuits DISAPPEAR.
"I should go."
Algur
213,071
Algur
Posted on 05 October 19 at 16:58
Guirec730 said:
Shouldn't there still be a criminal case for Pitchfords child porn?
If there isn't any evidence then there wouldn't be much to investigate. Given the brief synopsis in the article, this sounds more like a frivolous countersuit to try to get Gearbox to back off.
Cenosis
76,884
Cenosis
Posted on 05 October 19 at 18:08
Because Im Ryan said:
Randy is a really good magician - he made his lawsuits DISAPPEAR.
He is a horrible magician and the right amount of money can make a lot of things disappear. :D
Apache117X
599,564
Apache117X
Posted on 05 October 19 at 22:26
Randy Pitchford is fucking cancer, just take a loot at the garbage he posts on Twitter. He is a grub.
-APACHE117X-
GsO Light
145,470 145,470 GamerScore
GsO Light
Posted on 06 October 19 at 07:59, Edited on 06 October 19 at 07:59 by GsO Light
Justice is blind, unless you're filthy rich dance
bLaKgRaVy
536,287
bLaKgRaVy
Posted on 06 October 19 at 16:13
Maverick Hiro said:
Stream Family said:
Isn't anyone going to laugh at the composer not getting royalties from a duke nukem game? How much money could it possibly be?
1$ per copy sold. Let's say Duke Nukem 3d: 20th Anniversary World Tour sold 50,000 copies across all the platforms it's available (though i'm pretty sure it was more than that). 50,000$ is a lot of money for work you did 20+ years ago.
And that’s if Bobby Prince had the same deal as he did with 3D Realms. Regardless, even if was just a penny per copy, the fact that Gearbox didn’t pay him anything for his work is despicable. Something he created was used by someone else in the same context in which it was created and he got nothing. Gearbox and Randy are malignant tumors in this industry.

If this happened to you, Maverick, I bet you wouldn’t be laughing. roll
iMaginaryy
1,322,008
iMaginaryy
Posted on 06 October 19 at 17:45
bLaKgRaVy said:
Maverick Hiro said:
Stream Family said:
Isn't anyone going to laugh at the composer not getting royalties from a duke nukem game? How much money could it possibly be?
1$ per copy sold. Let's say Duke Nukem 3d: 20th Anniversary World Tour sold 50,000 copies across all the platforms it's available (though i'm pretty sure it was more than that). 50,000$ is a lot of money for work you did 20+ years ago.
And that’s if Bobby Prince had the same deal as he did with 3D Realms. Regardless, even if was just a penny per copy, the fact that Gearbox didn’t pay him anything for his work is despicable. Something he created was used by someone else in the same context in which it was created and he got nothing. Gearbox and Randy are malignant tumors in this industry.

If this happened to you, Maverick, I bet you wouldn’t be laughing. roll
Just noting, think you gots the laughs mixed up
Fear is the mindkiller.
Anno Mundi
449,958
Anno Mundi
Posted on 06 October 19 at 19:55
More news like this please! It's refreshing to see non-achievement related gaming news on occasion :)
Smudgenat0r
566,022
Smudgenat0r
Posted on 07 October 19 at 14:19
RadiantViper said:
Does anyone here read the article?

"Callender then filed a counter-suit, which accused Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford of ... leaving a USB drive that contained not only sensitive business documents but also Pitchford's "personal collection of underage pornography" in a restaurant."

"Now those legal proceedings have come to an end with Callender, Gearbox and Pitchford filing a motion for dismissal. In the document it states, "Upon review of all the evidence in the case, it was of the opinion of counsel that the evidence exonerated Randy Pitchford from the allegations against him"

The underage pornography was one of the allegations that was dismissed.
Louder for the people in the back!
MaliceGhost
171,532
MaliceGhost
Posted on 08 October 19 at 16:10
EarthboundX said:
Mr Li4bility said:
MugenKairo said:
Guirec730 said:
Shouldn't there still be a criminal case for Pitchfords child porn?
Exactly! That alone should throw him under the hammer? Whats the magic trick that he claims he was watching? Watching himself get a boner wanking off to kiddies? Paedophiles are simply the worst kind of people...
I’m confused here, did this actually happen or was the just something they were trying to use in the counter lawsuit and was just a lie?
Yeah, it was not underage porn, it was from a cam girl, whom have to 18 years old.

Why he would carry that around with him with his business documents, I don't know. So nothing illegal, but odd for him to do.
Obviously research for the next Gearbox game
iMaginaryy
1,322,008
iMaginaryy
Posted on 08 October 19 at 16:22
MaliceGhost said:
*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***


Obviously research for the next Gearbox game
More moxxxi inspiration, of course!
Fear is the mindkiller.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.