Game Discussion: Gears 5 Forum

Question for tech savvy people: why does my ping sometimes go from low to 1k + ?

AuthorMessage
Groznia
Groznia
Posted on 06 October 19 at 23:40, Edited on 06 October 19 at 23:44 by Groznia
Hey everyone I was doing a session last night and started lagging really badly. I looked at my ping in the player list and it had shot up to a ridiculous 1500, or 1600! I have lagged every so often since the game launched but didn't notice my actual ping being that insanely high until last night.

For reference my ping is usually around 20 to 50 max so I was very shocked when that happened.

So I was wondering for those with a better understanding of IT could answer my questions

1) Is this on my end or TC's fault?
2) If its my fault what do you think could be causing it?
3) If it is on my end what can I do about it?

I'd really like to know because the last thing I want is for it to pop up and ruin a master horde or escape run because I'm dancing across the map like a mad man due to lag!
Msross
Msross
Posted on 07 October 19 at 07:44
Havent played the game to any huge degree but in general :

1) could be either.... or somewhere between... The ping is the response time to recevie a response from a server... that could be your connection, your ISP, anywhere on its journey is TC...

Aside from that, TC may also perform levelling on what its 'seeing' in the game, so a sudden 'blip' might result in a higher figure reported. (EG, higher values might be spread on a logathrimic field to allow them to capture more granular differences? but they show this value instead of the actual)

2) within the property? check how the xbox is connected (wired is better). Theres too much things to go into if you want to include wireless options.

3) Nothing much you can do (other than 2)... Your ISP could be throttling (or maybe they offer a 'gaming service' for extra' where they dont inject the spikes you might be seeing)
z0rrofox
z0rrofox
Posted on 07 October 19 at 09:05, Edited on 07 October 19 at 09:06 by z0rrofox
I had something similar over the last two weeks and I was cursing out TC for their issues before it dawned on me that I had moved the xbox between rooms in my house. Plugged in an ethernet cable from the box to the router and problem solved. It seems that the new location relative to my router was messing with the wifi connection.

So it might be on your end.
Infamous
Infamous
Posted on 07 October 19 at 09:55
I was having a similar issue exclusively in horde.. Every other game mode worked fine but I managed to fix it simply by unplugging my router, waiting 20s then plugging it back in, had no issues since headspin
Groznia
Groznia
Posted on 07 October 19 at 15:01
Msross said:
Havent played the game to any huge degree but in general :

1) could be either.... or somewhere between... The ping is the response time to recevie a response from a server... that could be your connection, your ISP, anywhere on its journey is TC...

Aside from that, TC may also perform levelling on what its 'seeing' in the game, so a sudden 'blip' might result in a higher figure reported. (EG, higher values might be spread on a logathrimic field to allow them to capture more granular differences? but they show this value instead of the actual)

2) within the property? check how the xbox is connected (wired is better). Theres too much things to go into if you want to include wireless options.

3) Nothing much you can do (other than 2)... Your ISP could be throttling (or maybe they offer a 'gaming service' for extra' where they dont inject the spikes you might be seeing)
Pretty sure my current set up is wireless. I thought since the router and xbox are only like 6 feet away from one another wifi signal would not be that big a deal. I'll try a wired connection from here on out.
Lockie
Lockie
Posted on 08 October 19 at 07:42
I often connect my Xbox to my phone's 4G to play stable online multiplayer because my country has a horrible thing called the NBN which gets incredibly flaky pings during peak times.
Posting from sunny Australia.
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 08 October 19 at 11:32
Lockie said:
because my country has a horrible thing called the NBN which gets incredibly flaky pings during peak times.
What country and what is NBN? Curious.
Fear is the mindkiller.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 08 October 19 at 18:21
Profile says Australia, and Google says NBN is the National Broadband Network.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Broadband_Network
The National Broadband Network (NBN) is an Australian national wholesale open-access data network project. It includes wired and radio communication components rolled out and operated by NBN Co Limited. Internet service providers, known under NBN as retail service providers or RSPs, contract with NBN to access the network and sell fixed internet access to end users.

[...]

As the largest infrastructure project in Australia's history, NBN was the subject of significant political contention and has been an issue in federal elections.
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
Lockie
Lockie
Posted on 08 October 19 at 23:32
Shinnizle said:
Profile says Australia, and Google says NBN is the National Broadband Network.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Broadband_Network
Yeah it held so much promise, but since the change in government screwed up the installation (to "cut costs") it's a bit of a lottery whether you end up with a good connection or not. Fortunately I'm moving house soon.
Posting from sunny Australia.
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 08 October 19 at 23:35
Shinnizle said:
*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
Thanks for the info smile
Fear is the mindkiller.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.