Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Ghost Recon Breakpoint Review: Ghosts-as-a-Service

• Posted on 07 October 19 at 12:31Permalink
    Thanks for another good review. I liked the little of what I’ve played in Wildlands and hoped this would be another good step for the franchise but this and many other reviews have convinced me to wait for a sale before buying.
  • Posted on 07 October 19 at 12:32Permalink
    Ubisoft has had a bit of an average year with new releases - hoping they can knock it out the park next year before the new generation!
  • ZedpellinZedpellin120,835
    Posted on 07 October 19 at 12:46Permalink
    Good review for a bad game, sad that Ubisoft didn't learn from the previous errors cry
  • I NVIII II NVIII I500,332
  • Rista BRista B405,640
    Posted on 07 October 19 at 12:53Permalink
    I've been playing Wildlands off and on for the last year and I've knocked off 3 minor bosses. After spending a day playing this weekend I'm feeling like I'll never finish this game.

Based on what I have heard on Breakpoint so far this is game that may start a trend for me...avoid massive open world games that are 90% filler content. And these days most open world games sound like 90% filler.

Also interesting that like The Division, Destiny 1&2, Rainbow Six this game feels like an absolute mess at launch. I guess the new strategy it launch the game, let it get trashed by players and reviewers and then fix it over the next year. Seems bizarre but somehow that's where we are.
    Remember Philando Castile, a fellow gamer, a human being, Rest in Peace
  • Posted on 07 October 19 at 13:30Permalink
    GAAS
  • Posted on 07 October 19 at 13:48Permalink
    I don't know why but i've never been interested in these Wildlands games even though I loved Ghost Recon, I might try it further down the line. I really don't like The Division either which is weird, I maybe subconsciously don't like Ubisoft. Nice review.
  • BalnazzardBalnazzard109,596
    Posted on 07 October 19 at 13:52, Edited on 07 October 19 at 13:54 by BalnazzardPermalink
    I think its really a shame how Ghost Recon turned from tactical military shooter into boring and repetitive open world looter shooter....Especially because I still remember the days back in 2005-2006 of being hyped of GRAW when it was the first game that looked liked first real "next gen experience"....

But then again its all thanks to gamers voting with their wallets. Future Soldier failed to sell even a million copies during its first few months while Wildlands was one of the best selling games of 2017.
  • reforc3reforc3708,350
    Posted on 07 October 19 at 14:09Permalink
    What, no positive/negative remarks for the final score?

Do I have to pay extra to see them?
    @ReForce
  • KanchanaburiKanchanaburi1,017,772
    Posted on 07 October 19 at 14:09Permalink
    I was burnt out with collecting at every point in Wildlands. It truly was

Fly the heli
    land the heli
    pick up the collectibles
    maybe two
    get back in the heli
    AND REPEAT!

that... is what i remember this game as... oh, and the extended grind for XP or something at the end... I finished the entire game and still had to grind for something, can't remember what, just to level up my character beyond what the game needed.

And now I hear that Breakpoint is worse than this... glad I cancelled my preorder.
  • Posted on 07 October 19 at 14:11Permalink
    3/5 is too generous
  • Goggs25Goggs251,098,916
    Posted on 07 October 19 at 14:22Permalink
    Should be 1/5 yet another tom clancy game destroyed the other being rainbow six. I am glad they have not made anymore splinter cell games they would ruin that francise with microtransactions and lootboxes
    Goggs25
  • Posted on 07 October 19 at 14:42Permalink
    Fair assessment
    #AncoraUnPezzoDiMerda
  • Posted on 07 October 19 at 15:00Permalink
    TrueAssassin86x said:
    *** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
    As funny as this is--and I understand the pitfalls of microtransactions-- this isn't really what makes or breaks this game. The game is mediocre (or slighty above IMHO) regardless of people's disdain for the microtransactions. I believe these should be two different discussions. That's why I say his assessment was right on, and those that see the game for what it is (and not just immediately jump on the 'Microtransactions are the devil' bandwagon) will enjoy it, or not, for what it really is: a mix of GR and Division with some open-world aspects from AC, slapped together for better or for worse. Let that be what drives your decision, I say (For the record, I neither like nor buy microtransactions in games and I'm "ok" with cosmetic ones. Yes, I know all the slippery slope arguments, but I say have some self-control)
    #AncoraUnPezzoDiMerda
  • CoreScanCoreScan921,040
    Posted on 07 October 19 at 15:20, Edited on 07 October 19 at 15:39 by CoreScanPermalink
    A review - on TA? How did that happen?! 😂
  • Posted on 07 October 19 at 15:31Permalink
    I enjoyed Wildlands so I’m hoping I can enjoy this as well. I’ll maybe pick up the gold or ultimate edition on sale but I’m glad I didn’t preorder it.

It’s strange how Ubisoft Paris seemed to drop a lot of money for promoting this game as well as getting big name actors to be in it, as it doesn’t seem very Ubisoft like. I’m trying to think of the last game they promoted to this degree and I can’t think of one.

As for the gameplay, it sounds a lot like The Division 2 which I absolutely love. Is it as easy to find and complete missions in co-op as it is in The Division 2? If so I’d love that and utilize it.
  • Posted on 07 October 19 at 15:34Permalink
    Was this given two extra stars just because the audio and video work?
  • StK IStK I549,737
    Posted on 07 October 19 at 15:48Permalink
    Sad to say, but I think this is typical Ubisoft. They pleasantly surprise with one game but disappoint with the next. I'll likely still pick up breakpoint eventually when it's on sale
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.