Game Discussion: Microsoft Treasure Hunt (Win 10)

Pickaxe Belt / Dynamite Bag / Map Tube

• Posted on 11 October 19 at 02:35Permalink
    How can you get these achievements if you already beat the Win8 version of the game? When I loaded the Win 10 game I already had everything maxed. Most achievements retroactively unlocked, but not these.. Any ideas?
  • Posted on 12 October 19 at 09:16Permalink
    I have the same question. I would imagine that once the get all upgrades and get x million gold achievements have popped, the only way to do this would be to delete your save and start over. However, I have no idea how to do this, particularly as there are saves both locally and in the cloud. Can anyone help?
    Ranged humanist, melee misanthrope
  • Posted on 12 October 19 at 09:27, Edited on 12 October 19 at 10:15 by liner bronsonPermalink
    Just had a bit of a google and found this workaround to delete a cloud save for a Windows 10 game. Will try it out shortly and report back if it works or not...

1. Uninstall Game/App

1.1 Sign out of Xbox App

2. Go to https://account.live.com/consent/Manage Find the app and click the Edit button. On the next page click "Remove These Permissions".

3. Re-Install The app, in my case Hill Climb 2

4. (From memory here) Launch the app, it should ask if you grant permission for the app to access your Xbox data. Deny access or Just close the Sign in box.

5. Important. Play a few games - I played until Bronze II before proceeding to next step. (Not sure if Game Name is important, I did use a new name)

6. Go to the Game/app settings and connect Xbox. Now it should ask you if you want to use Cloud Data or Local Data. Choose Local Data.

Done

EDIT: This worked.
  • napoearthnapoearth656,291
    Posted on 12 October 19 at 21:07Permalink
    What? I completed the win 8 version and nothing unlocked for me.
    I like Texas 'cause Texas is the only state ballsy enough to have its own toast. - Mitch Hedberg
    Posted on 12 October 19 at 21:12Permalink
    Not only that, all that, after the first few upgrades, the shop stopped offering anything but shields.
    I like Texas 'cause Texas is the only state ballsy enough to have its own toast. - Mitch Hedberg
  • Posted on 12 October 19 at 22:43, Edited on 12 October 19 at 22:45 by liner bronsonPermalink
    Hmm, did you do it on the same device that you played the Win 8 version on? I don't think that one used cloud saves (I might be wrong though), so if you can transfer your old save files to your new device it might work in terms of popping some of the achievements .

I'm just guessing though...

I get what you're saying about shields. I've had very few upgrades offered so far.... cry
  • Posted on 12 October 19 at 23:31Permalink
    liner bronson said:
    I have the same question. I would imagine that once the get all upgrades and get x million gold achievements have popped, the only way to do this would be to delete your save and start over. However, I have no idea how to do this, particularly as there are saves both locally and in the cloud. Can anyone help?
    There is an option to reset your stats built into the game. Go to settings, game options, reset statistics. I'm assuming that's one way to try for these achievements. Was hoping there was an easier way rather than having to do that.
  • Posted on 13 October 19 at 01:23Permalink
    TonyTwoSteaks said:
    liner bronson said:
    There is an option to reset your stats built into the game. Go to settings, game options, reset statistics. I'm assuming that's one way to try for these achievements. Was hoping there was an easier way rather than having to do that.
    That doesn’t reset the number of items you can have. The only way to do this is by deleting your actual save in the cloud.
  • Posted on 13 October 19 at 01:58Permalink
    liner bronson said:
    That doesn’t reset the number of items you can have. The only way to do this is by deleting your actual save in the cloud.
    That's really awkward! Going to try to contact the developers and see if they have any suggestions.
  • JDuke705JDuke705674,301
    Posted on 13 October 19 at 04:03Permalink
    I'm not sure exactly what I did. I was in the same boat. I was at 30 pickaxe from previous version. I somehow got it to reset. playing offline (airplane mode), deleting saves, reinstalling, etc. Now I have got back to 8 pickaxe but i can not get anything but shields to show again. This game is so broken.
  • Posted on 13 October 19 at 08:21Permalink
    JDuke705 said:
    I'm not sure exactly what I did. I was in the same boat. I was at 30 pickaxe from previous version. I somehow got it to reset. playing offline (airplane mode), deleting saves, reinstalling, etc. Now I have got back to 8 pickaxe but i can not get anything but shields to show again. This game is so broken.
    I see you have completed it now. Congrats. Did you do anything to get the items to start appearing in the shop again or did it just happen randomly?
  • JeffMommJeffMomm298,142
    Posted on 13 October 19 at 21:39Permalink
    I found that if I purchased the shields, I almost always were offered shields again the next time I got to the store. But, if I skipped buying shields, the next time I got to the store I had a much better chance of getting an item I needed.
  • MathGuy42MathGuy42574,961
    Posted on 15 October 19 at 15:04, Edited on 21 October 19 at 17:40 by MathGuy42Permalink
    Do upgrades not start until a certain level? I started a new game, but I've only been offered Shields for the shops at Level 2, 6, 11, and 16. Hopefully something shows up at 21.

And this is with a method to use the Cloud Save for backup. I was able to use that on my first playthrough to get up to 5 hearts. But I seem to be stuck at 4 each of the Pickaxe, Dynamite, and Maps. I would reload my Cloud save 4 times, yet always get Shields.

Eventually I got lazy, made too many mistakes, and was forced to restart. In my partial defense, it is difficult to get through 5 levels in the 40ish range when you don't have many upgrades.

Here's a method to retry the Shop. It has the added benefit of adding to your Total Gold Stats (but not what you have in your in-game counter). This method worked on Win 8. It's a shortcut to get to 5 million gold and (hopefully) get an upgrade at the Shop. But as mentioned, even using this method, I seemed to only get Shields eventually.

Cloud Save Backup

1. Play to the end of Level (multiple of 5), but don't exit the level.
    2. Exit to Main Menu. Quit the app.
    3. Disconnect Internet.
    4. Play the game and exit the level. Hopefully you'll get an upgrade. See Step 7 for what to do if you get an upgrade or if you get shields.
    5. Exit to Main Menu. Quit the app.
    6. Reconnect Internet.
    7. Play the game.
    7a. If you got an upgrade, then choose Local Save. (You may need to choose twice.) Continue playing as usual until the next Shop.
    7b. If you got shields, then choose Cloud Save. (You may need to choose twice.) Go back to Step 1 and repeat until you get an upgrade.

If you have 2 machines, you can use a variant of this without disconnecting Internet. You can keep a Local Save on one machine at the end of a level, reuploading it the Cloud as needed.

I should also note that I got to 5 hearts while Offline. After playing online for a while, the achievement unlocked. This is similar to the behavior of unlocking an Xbox One achievement offline.

Not sure why I get the Cloud / Local Save prompt twice. The second prompt happens while playing the level, so there must be some secondary info saved.

liner bronson said:
    Just had a bit of a google and found this workaround to delete a cloud save for a Windows 10 game. Will try it out shortly and report back if it works or not...

[snip]

Glad that worked for you. Here's a simpler method that might work. I don't want to test it myself and lose progress. But it seems like it should.

1. Quit app.
    2. Disconnect Internet.
    3. Go to Windows Settings -> Add or Remove Programs.
    4. Select MS Treasure Hunt (don't remove it)
    5. Click on Advance Options.
    6. Click on Reset (this should delete your local save)
    [Edit: 6.5 Uninstall game. Go back Online to Reinstall. Go back Offline]
    7. Play a bit of the game.
    8. Quit app.
    9. Reconnect Internet.
    10. Play the game. Choose to use Local Save.

Hopefully that resets everything.
  • SavenalSavenal693,662
    Posted on 16 October 19 at 10:33Permalink
    MathGuy42 said:
    Do upgrades not start until a certain level? I started a new game, but I've only been offered Shields for the shops at Level 2, 6, 11, and 16. Hopefully something shows up at 21.

And this is with a method to use the Cloud Save for backup. I was able to use that on my first playthrough to get up to 5 hearts. But I seem to be stuck at 4 each of the Pickaxe, Dynamite, and Maps. I would reload my Cloud save 4 times, yet always get Shields.

Eventually I got lazy, made too many mistakes, and was forced to restart. In my partial defense, it is difficult to get through 5 levels in the 40ish range when you don't have many upgrades.

Here's a method to retry the Shop. It has the added benefit of adding to your Total Gold Stats (but not what you have in your in-game counter). This method worked on Win 8. It's a shortcut to get to 5 million gold and (hopefully) get an upgrade at the Shop. But as mentioned, even using this method, I seemed to only get Shields eventually.

Cloud Save Backup

1. Play to the end of Level (multiple of 5), but don't exit the level.
    2. Exit to Main Menu. Quit the app.
    3. Disconnect Internet.
    4. Play the game and exit the level. Hopefully you'll get an upgrade. See Step 7 for what to do if you get an upgrade or if you get shields.
    5. Exit to Main Menu. Quit the app.
    6. Reconnect Internet.
    7. Play the game.
    7a. If you got an upgrade, then choose Local Save. (You may need to choose twice.) Continue playing as usual until the next Shop.
    7b. If you got shields, then choose Cloud Save. (You may need to choose twice.) Go back to Step 1 and repeat until you get an upgrade.

If you have 2 machines, you can use a variant of this without disconnecting Internet. You can keep a Local Save on one machine at the end of a level, reuploading it the Cloud as needed.

I should also note that I got to 5 hearts while Offline. After playing online for a while, the achievement unlocked. This is similar to the behavior of unlocking an Xbox One achievement offline.

Not sure why I get the Cloud / Local Save prompt twice. The second prompt happens while playing the level, so there must be some secondary info saved.

liner bronson said:

[snip]

Glad that worked for you. Here's a simpler method that might work. I don't want to test it myself and lose progress. But it seems like it should.

1. Quit app.
    2. Disconnect Internet.
    3. Go to Windows Settings -> Add or Remove Programs.
    4. Select MS Treasure Hunt (don't remove it)
    5. Click on Advance Options.
    6. Click on Reset (this should delete your local save)
    7. Play a bit of the game.
    8. Quit app.
    9. Reconnect Internet.
    10. Play the game. Choose to use Local Save.

Hopefully that resets everything.
    you should post this as solution
  • MathGuy42MathGuy42574,961
    Posted on 16 October 19 at 20:23Permalink
    Savenal said:
    you should post this as solution
    Thanks, but there are a couple issues. First, I don't know if it really works to get the upgrades. I did this reload 10 times each in 2 shops, yet just kept getting Shields. There might be some other hidden requirement to get the upgrades. I'd want to know that before posting a solution.

Second, I don't know if there are any downsides to this method. I don't want to post a Solution that messes up someone's game. Here, my ideas are more meant for discussion.

Third, this method might run afoul of TA's solution rules. TA does explicitly allow playing Offline to help with achievements. But in the past, they have been touchy about Windows saves. I believe there used to be a Win 8 Treasure Hunt solution about this method, but it is no longer there. I don't know if it was deleted by the author or TA.
  • GrobaniteGrobanite1,622,498
    Posted on 17 October 19 at 19:18Permalink
    I cant understand why Microsoft release the same buggy mess of a game without patching anything. I got all 5 hearts and upgrade my maps to 8 and now I am trapped in the stupid shield loop, I reset my game more then 10 times and play all time to Level 15+, 3 Times over 30. All shops with only Shields, I used the backup method but after 10 tries on level 20 and everytime the same shop I give up. I hope anyone find a working solution for this very annoying problem.
  • trevzuk0trevzuk0378,436
    Posted on 19 October 19 at 22:56Permalink
    After many wasted hours going for the 'All Decked Out' achievement, I can offer some advice from my personal experiences:

1) The 5 ❤ upgrade must be the final upgrade you purchase. Purchasing this upgrade caused the infinite shield loop for me, which meant I had to delete my save files to reset my progress.

2) Purchasing the 4 ❤ upgrade was fine and did not cause the infinite shield loop.

3) I seemed to only get equipment upgrades if I deliberately died and resurrected after a Mummy Shop. That is, I entered a shop and was offered shields, and after resurrection the shop offered equipment instead.
  • JeffMommJeffMomm298,142
    Posted on 19 October 19 at 23:41Permalink
    trevzuk0 said:
    After many wasted hours going for the 'All Decked Out' achievement, I can offer some advice from my personal experiences:

1) The 5 ❤ upgrade must be the final upgrade you purchase. Purchasing this upgrade caused the infinite shield loop for me, which meant I had to delete my save files to reset my progress.

2) Purchasing the 4 ❤ upgrade was fine and did not cause the infinite shield loop.

3) I seemed to only get equipment upgrades if I deliberately died and resurrected after a Mummy Shop. That is, I entered a shop and was offered shields, and after resurrection the shop offered equipment instead.
    While I am not questioning your personal experience, the 5 hearts was the first collectible I received. I was able to get all the other collectibles without deleting my save file.

As I mentioned above, I never bought shields when they came up. Periodically I would use the amulet right after the mummy shop, until they got too expensive. Both of those strategies helped me get collectibles in the shop.
  • trevzuk0trevzuk0378,436
    Posted on 20 October 19 at 00:32Permalink
    @ JeffMomm

The heart upgrade may not necessarily be the problem for everyone, but one thing that was consistent for me was that I had to resurrect to get items to appear at the Mummy Shop.
    Posted on 21 October 19 at 02:18Permalink
    trevzuk0 said:
    @ JeffMomm

The heart upgrade may not necessarily be the problem for everyone, but one thing that was consistent for me was that I had to resurrect to get items to appear at the Mummy Shop.
    This worked perfectly for me. Thank you so much. I finished level 35 and the shop still gave shields. Killed myself at the beginning of the next level and was able to get upgrades again. I repeated and got three upgrades. Killed myself again and when I couldn't afford another amulet I restarted and the shop had shields on level one. I didn't buy it and got an upgrade (that I couldn't afford) on level 6.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.