Game Discussion: Gears 5

Gears 5 turns off my Xbox One X

• Runner eGirlRunner eGirl427,784
    Posted on 15 October 19 at 18:13Permalink
    It started last Monday, but I have a friend who's been having this issue for quite a while now. It doesn't matter what I try to do, the X powers off completely while I'm sitting on the home screen (not even 10 minutes after turning the system on after an entire day of not using it).

I assume it's the console "overheating" (I mean, after 10 minutes? On the home screen? But I can't think of anything else really). I re-downloaded the entire game, freed up space on my drive (it was at 90% capacity, which I know is not recommended), and zero, nada, zilch, game still doesn't work. I tried it on my regular XBO (fat) and it works just fine (graphics are sh*t though)
  • Posted on 16 October 19 at 09:54Permalink
    No other game does this?
    Please excuse my typos I'm typing on my ducking phone.
    Posted on 16 October 19 at 11:05Permalink
    No, just Gears 5. I read online that BL3 does something similar, but I haven't tried it yet since I don't have that much time to play
  • Toca1FTWToca1FTW222,475
    Posted on 16 October 19 at 12:01Permalink
    I've had my X go off once due to thermal shutdown. However, when I booted it back up there was a message telling me so. It was Just Cause 4 on mine, had dashboarded while I ate, then as I went back to game it was really juddery for a couple of seconds, then went off. I blew out as much dust as possible and gave it a little more breathing space, I have it vertical anyway. This was months ago and not done it since.

Do you hear the fans go full speed? I'm sure mine didn't make a sound for a least a year, but now I can hear them spin up straight away in some games (all heavy X-enhanced). Some graphics operations generate more heat than others, PC users will know FurMark for example. I probably could do with a deep clean on mine. Gears 5 definitely is a hot game.

10 minutes is more than enough if the heat isn't being taken away quick enough, heatsoak isn't as potent as the massive heatspot in the cores.

One poor solution for now might be to download game on your standard, turn off updates on the X and transfer across to force the X to run non-enhanced version. The exact procedure I don't recall, but I think that works.
  • Posted on 17 October 19 at 07:24Permalink
    Probably your Xbox can't "breath" and has a lot of dust in it?
    Posted on 17 October 19 at 11:40Permalink
    Toca1FTW said:
    One poor solution for now might be to download game on your standard, turn off updates on the X and transfer across to force the X to run non-enhanced version. The exact procedure I don't recall, but I think that works.
    I'll try this over the weekend and see how it goes, so far I've been using my old system and no problems there

Ron Jeremy R6 said:
    Probably your Xbox can't "breath" and has a lot of dust in it?
    No, I don't think this is it, my xbox is on an open space and very well maintained (clean, no clutter around it). I can't see inside it, of course, but I have tried other games since my original post and it works perfectly fine with those
    Posted on 17 October 19 at 12:23Permalink
    nice find, thanks :) I posted there for visibility (doubt they'll do anything about it though)
  • CRUM LEECRUM LEE440,230
    Posted on 17 October 19 at 13:00, Edited on 17 October 19 at 13:00 by CRUM LEEPermalink
    It's time I clean my console as well. Probably so much cat hair in there at this point lol
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.