Walkthroughs

Forum for discussing game walkthroughs

Knights of Pen & Paper Walkthrough Discussion

• Posted on 21 October 19 at 15:47
    Please use this thread to discuss the Knights of Pen & Paper walkthrough
  • Posted on 15 November 19 at 20:41, Edited on 15 November 19 at 20:42 by Mike Marcelais
    I swear this WT wasn't here yesterday... I was playing through and thinking about contributing one myself. Whatever...

A few comments about the speed run: At the very start, I would buy 26 greater XP potions and 222 grindstones (using money from your first playthrough). This lets you immediately level everyone to L16 and level the blacksmith to L7. The blacksmith XP you get from crafting all of the L7 equipment will level up the blacksmith to L8 to get the last weapon upgrades. This lets you craft all of the best equipment virtually at the start of the game. (This costs about 10000 gold, including the molten ring and blacksmith crafting charges.)

I'm using the dev team for the speed run with great success (so far) so making the dev team party separately to 'glitch' the achievement isn't necessary.

For grinding gold postgame (to finance your speedrun), I found the scarecrows at the Farming Town easier to deal with and you get 500+ gold per battle.

I'd also put off grinding the dungeon clearances until after the speedrun since I believe it counts dungeons from all saves and you will have to do a few dungeons as part of the main quest. You should also mention that if you equip 15 Luck amulets, then all of the random encounters go away (you'll always roll healing or treasure) which makes clearing the dungeon much faster.
  • MurdaMan09MurdaMan09296,300
    Posted on 26 April 20 at 06:20
    Also, when you are mining for grind stones, if you spam the mine button you can get about 2-3 attempts per mound there. I got bored and decided to mess around and found this out.
  • GnemlockGnemlock173,218
    Posted on 03 May 20 at 00:59
    Confirming that ypu can spam the mine button for grindstones. That should really be added as it reduces the gold cost to fully upgrade.

I also found the instructions for levelling characters to be very confusing, as without any random encounters and only the encounters described in this guide, I found my characters have been out levelling those in this guide. So I lose track of what ability I am up to. Perhaps a cheat sheet would be useful, or even just labelling each character upgrade with the corresponding level.
  • TheOnlyMattoTheOnlyMatto1,649,369
    Posted on 25 June 20 at 16:40, Edited on 25 June 20 at 20:10 by TheOnlyMatto
    Gnemlock said:
    Confirming that ypu can spam the mine button for grindstones. That should really be added as it reduces the gold cost to fully upgrade.

I also found the instructions for levelling characters to be very confusing, as without any random encounters and only the encounters described in this guide, I found my characters have been out levelling those in this guide. So I lose track of what ability I am up to. Perhaps a cheat sheet would be useful, or even just labelling each character upgrade with the corresponding level.
    yes, I agree about numbering the level ups. Would have made it easier for people who find themselves ahead/behind in levels. I will likely add this soon and perhaps separately in the tips/hints section so that someone can use it without having to search through the whole WT. toast (has been added)

Mike Marcelais said:
    I swear this WT wasn't here yesterday... I was playing through and thinking about contributing one myself. Whatever...

A few comments about the speed run: At the very start, I would buy 26 greater XP potions and 222 grindstones (using money from your first playthrough). This lets you immediately level everyone to L16 and level the blacksmith to L7. The blacksmith XP you get from crafting all of the L7 equipment will level up the blacksmith to L8 to get the last weapon upgrades. This lets you craft all of the best equipment virtually at the start of the game. (This costs about 10000 gold, including the molten ring and blacksmith crafting charges.)

I'm using the dev team for the speed run with great success (so far) so making the dev team party separately to 'glitch' the achievement isn't necessary.

For grinding gold postgame (to finance your speedrun), I found the scarecrows at the Farming Town easier to deal with and you get 500+ gold per battle.

I'd also put off grinding the dungeon clearances until after the speedrun since I believe it counts dungeons from all saves and you will have to do a few dungeons as part of the main quest. You should also mention that if you equip 15 Luck amulets, then all of the random encounters go away (you'll always roll healing or treasure) which makes clearing the dungeon much faster.
    Interesting points and I appreciate it. I am not changing my speed run or suggestion on dev team. Everyone is free to do it as they please but this is how I did it and know it works. If I rewrite one part, I could throw off the whole thing. So instead, I may make a note in the general hints/tips page. The gold earning as well, I will make a note where I grinded gold. I don't know if it is necessary and part of your results are due to RNG.

I recently received a message where someone was earning far less gold than I did in one part and changed the WT to suggest moving on if this happens. I never farmed scarecrows so I don't know how well they would do in comparison. So the best I can do is something like "Note: Scarecrows at farming town may be faster". I did not find luck amulets needed for dungeons so I won't add that. That is the reason I don't clear the dungeon achievement until later. I didn't find it difficult and the xp/gold earned are calculated in. If I change one part of the WT, it could throw off the whole thing. If I hear more complaints about difficulty with dungeons then I may make a note. Same reason I won't change when the achievement should be gone for. If someone wishes to wait until their speed run, they may.

The RNG in this game will make it so everyone who plays will experience a slightly different game. Enemy levels, loot obtained, gold count and random encounters are all RNG. Including attack order and so forth. Some peoples experience may greatly vary from my own and so I find the notes you made interesting but wouldn't say they are necessary changes. toast (has been added)

MurdaMan09 said:
    Also, when you are mining for grind stones, if you spam the mine button you can get about 2-3 attempts per mound there. I got bored and decided to mess around and found this out.
    your comment has been confirmed and will be added to the hints/tips screen as well as the first time a grindstone appears in game. Ty for pointing this out for the community. toast (has been added)

I apologize about the late reply but I never received a message saying anyone posted here. All points mentioned above will be fixed in the next 24 hours and I apologize to ManicMetalhead for all the extra work I keep throwing on his schedule. Any other problems, suggestions or notes are appreciated! Thank you all
    See you in Valhalla
  • Paw McCatneyPaw McCatney677,554
    Posted on 31 July 20 at 22:50
    I appreciate the time put into this guide, and found it very helpful, so for starters, thank you! A few things I'd like to point out...

1) As mentioned above, a level cheat sheet would be way easier to read. I was definitely a higher level than you from about the midway point on, so I had to keep scrolling up and down to see what abilities you were recommending per level. Not a major inconvenience, and I know you've acknowledged that you will likely add it. Just wanted to add another vote towards having that.

2) In situations where the goal is to reach a certain character level or monetary wealth by grinding battles out, it would have been easier if you'd just say "keep fighting 'x' enemies until you reach 'x' level, or 'x' amount of money." Everyone's experience within this game will inevitably vary depending on RNG.

3) Along the lines of my previous thought, instead of giving an exact number of grindstones for us to buy, tell us what the goal is when leveling up the blacksmith. You could just say "get the blacksmith to level 7" and we would know to keep turning in grindstones until we've accomplished that. At one point, you said to buy 155 grindstones, but I personally only needed 55 of them. I luckily realized I didn't need that many, and would have been irritated if I'd unnecessarily spent an extra $2,500, especially since that money was needed for my speedrun.

4) Mike Marcelais mentioned buying 26 greater XP potions and 222 grindstones for the speedrun. I did exactly that, and it was perfect. That should definitely be mentioned in the guide.

Outside of those things, I'm thankful for you and this guide. It definitely made this game easier than I expected. toast
    Hey, you! Pipe down!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.