Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Campaign Review

• CanezzaCanezza36,425
  • cable67cable67191,519
    Posted on 01 November 19 at 16:28Permalink
    Campaign plays and looks great....spec ops not so much
  • Posted on 01 November 19 at 16:41Permalink
    Campaign was quite good, except for the traditional run and gun missions. They felt worse than they did before because of the new heights some of the better missions reached. Special Ops Operations are terrible, and you need to go buy a tent at Wal-Mart if you want to have a chance at multiplayer.
  • Posted on 01 November 19 at 16:44Permalink
    I've never enjoyed COD campaigns that much and they in the main are forgettable but I've found this one fantastically enjoyable. This is the best Call of Duty on this generation by some way in my opinion. The only gripe for me is limited map rotation in traditional Team deathmatch mode having only played 4 different maps and none in the promised night mode.
  • NapalmNikoNapalmNiko566,852
    Posted on 01 November 19 at 16:50Permalink
    The story is so awesome
    Greetings Niko
  • Posted on 01 November 19 at 16:58Permalink
    I want to get into the multiplayer but the lootboxes and other greedy bs that will eventually be put in the game is off putting
  • PetrifiedPetrified965,307
    Posted on 01 November 19 at 17:27Permalink
    The best Cod campaign I have played in a very long time
  • jasonlc3221jasonlc3221667,139
    Posted on 01 November 19 at 18:04Permalink
    I won't be skipping out on this one, but I'm not paying $60 either. So when this bad-boy hits $35-$40 on sale, I'll buy.
  • Sky ManiacSky Maniac551,197
    Posted on 01 November 19 at 18:27, Edited on 01 November 19 at 18:27 by Sky ManiacPermalink
    haven't finished the campaign yet, but anyone else thinks it feels more MoH than cod?

not that it's a bad thing as I loved the last two installements of MoH...
    my only other gripe is the difficulty on Veteran/Realism isn't hard enough.
  • Posted on 01 November 19 at 18:35Permalink
    Sky Maniac said:
    haven't finished the campaign yet, but anyone else thinks it feels more MoH than cod?

not that it's a bad thing as I loved the last two installements of MoH...
    my only other gripe is the difficulty on Veteran/Realism isn't hard enough.
    yep... felt more like MOH warfighter in some ways. besides... oh that hype... the shock moments... yawn... controversial stuff has worn out thanks to call of duty itself. oh look... a terrorist something done stuff.... OH WHATEVER...

it is like the SAW movies... they had a surprising story twist so often that it was like: ohhh... a story twist... how original clap thats the same with CoD.
  • MemesNBeerMemesNBeer178,540
    Posted on 01 November 19 at 21:45Permalink
    Campaign and Multiplayer have been great, but damn Spec Ops has been a gigantic disappointment
  • Facial La FleurFacial La Fleur1,099,730
    Posted on 01 November 19 at 23:16Permalink
    5/5 campaign for me. It's always a concern with the way reboots are handled, but I never thought in a hundred years they'd have done this well. The new Price is fantastic and the nods to the original game are great. The final cinematic eluding to the next game got me very excited.

3/5 for the MP at this point. Too few maps/modes, but the progression system is a lot of fun. Wall mount should not be in PvP as it encourages camping, which is already an issue without it. XP tokens should only countdown while in matches as well.

Haven't tried co-op out yet, but I expect it will be a lot of fun with a group of friends.

This one has the potential to be a near perfect game once they've updated the MP with more content.
  • Posted on 02 November 19 at 00:13Permalink
    Great Review. This is definitely one of my favorite COD campaigns.
    Don't bro me if you don't know me.
  • raultono 10raultono 10186,012
    Posted on 02 November 19 at 04:28Permalink
    I really liked the water torture mini game i felt more inmerse trying to survive instead of just watching a cutscene, also the butcher interrogation was also very nicely done
  • NapalmNikoNapalmNiko566,852
    Posted on 02 November 19 at 08:33Permalink
    raultono 10 said:
    I really liked the water torture mini game i felt more inmerse trying to survive instead of just watching a cutscene, also the butcher interrogation was also very nicely done
    Please no spoilers
    Greetings Niko
  • Apache117XApache117X671,426
    Posted on 02 November 19 at 08:35Permalink
    However, I don’t think a video game is the correct medium to capture and convey the horrifying experience of war. - so for movies it’s ok but games about modern war are a no-go. Boy, I sure do love it when people try to tell me what art is ok and what art isn’t.
    -APACHE117X-
  • Sensei NeoSensei Neo1,100,577
    Posted on 02 November 19 at 09:44Permalink
    I haven't played COD since 2010 but i like the look of this one.
  • Posted on 02 November 19 at 11:57Permalink
    Apache117X said:
    However, I don’t think a video game is the correct medium to capture and convey the horrifying experience of war. - so for movies it’s ok but games about modern war are a no-go. Boy, I sure do love it when people try to tell me what art is ok and what art isn’t.
    To be fair, the game is not quite about a modern war, unless you want to tell me Russian soldiers really do all the horrible things described in the game...
    In my humble opinion, the game went a little too far into the political realm while claiming it's all "grey morality" and totally not one side is ok but a little bad and the other completely awful child torturers, rapists and generally vile inhuman beings.
    So no, I don't think this game deserves to be called art. It's a game, and I think that the further it stays from political agendas, the better.
    I'll also add that, while a war is a political matter, you can present it in a non-subjective light. This game managed to offend an entire nation apparently (check Metacritic) which is a little baffling (oops?) and while I think that they went a little too far with their criticism (because this is just a game after all) it should NOT be considered art because it's still full of propaganda.
    Maybe it's just me, I could be biased.
    Sincerely,
    a random Russian from the internet.
    It might take some convincing, but we'll have it my way.
  • KasugaSamaKasugaSama119,235
    Posted on 02 November 19 at 12:19Permalink
    PSYCHADELICACE said:
    I want to get into the multiplayer but the lootboxes and other greedy bs that will eventually be put in the game is off putting
    As of right now there's no confirmation on 'greedy bs' coming to the MP.

If anything, play it until it does, if it does.
    Everything you do is a balloon.
  • pezboybenpezboyben621,164
    Posted on 02 November 19 at 18:58Permalink
    Thanks for the review! I definitely want to play this campaign but don't want to pay full price for the game as I don't really care about the multiplayer.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.