Site News

Forum to discuss TA news items. Only TrueAchievement can post here

The TrueAchievements Game of the Year 2019

• SciKoSciKo467,226
    Posted on 25 December 19 at 13:11Permalink
    We need to start voting for Game of the Year a year later when most people have had the chance to play the best games of the year. As it is now we manage one or two new games along with huge backlogs and so the voting turns into a hype/popularity contest instead of voting for what was actually good.

People also need to, in general, embrace the fact that you don't have to vote on every category just because you can. vote for what you think deserves your vote, leave blank where you don't have any games worthy of your vote.

TA Game of the Year is losing it's renown and reliability.

If we we're to hold another GOTY 2019 voting december next year I'm sure the Awards would be much more satisfactory and differ quite a lot from this. So do think about it, Do we want TA's Awards to be prestigious hence needs to stand the test of time and eyes of all or do we want our Awards to just be another strip of text with games that were the most accessible and timely launched?

I don't know about you but I want the winners to be the subjectilvely best games offered during the year in question. This is not the case now.
    Walk the SciKopath
  • Posted on 25 December 19 at 15:45Permalink
    Sweet, just got Borderlands 3 for Christmas so I'm glad that getting all the achievements was voted the most fun achievement, can't wait!
  • Posted on 25 December 19 at 19:49, Edited on 25 December 19 at 19:50 by VveniVvidiVviciPermalink
    Supernova??? Not like Mein Leben or something? lol. Also Sekiro is a much more difficult achievement to obtain.
  • STAGGERILLASTAGGERILLA1,094,647
    Posted on 26 December 19 at 03:00Permalink
    AgentZachMorgan said:
    The fact Children of Morta never made top 3 for indie when it was easily one of the best just shows how pointless these awards are. It's just a damn popularity contest.
    Morta is hands down the GOTY for Indies
    Positive energy from now on.
  • Segendary TySegendary Ty659,295
    Posted on 26 December 19 at 12:33Permalink
    SciKo said:
    We need to start voting for Game of the Year a year later when most people have had the chance to play the best games of the year. As it is now we manage one or two new games along with huge backlogs and so the voting turns into a hype/popularity contest instead of voting for what was actually good.

People also need to, in general, embrace the fact that you don't have to vote on every category just because you can. vote for what you think deserves your vote, leave blank where you don't have any games worthy of your vote.

If we we're to hold another GOTY 2019 voting december next year I'm sure the Awards would be much more satisfactory and differ quite a lot from this. So do think about it, Do we want TA's Awards to be prestigious hence needs to stand the test of time and eyes of all or do we want our Awards to just be another strip of text with games that were the most accessible and timely launched?

I don't know about you but I want the winners to be the subjectilvely best games offered during the year in question. This is not the case now.
    This!
  • Segendary TySegendary Ty659,295
    Posted on 26 December 19 at 12:34Permalink
    VveniVvidiVvici said:
    Supernova??? Not like Mein Leben or something? lol. Also Sekiro is a much more difficult achievement to obtain.
    Haha LASO from Reach is WAAAAY more difficult, or the solo Legendary one...
  • Posted on 26 December 19 at 15:24Permalink
    Segendary Ty said:
    HawkeyeBarry20 said:
    Segendary Ty said:
    This just seems like an quantity thing over quality. Outer Worlds is amazing but has no replayability for me. A GOTY definitly needs that. If you put all TA's GOTY's in line you'll see this one pale in comparison

Still Outer Worlds deserves a lot of credit and praise and tbh I cannot think of a better game from this year.

Not sure why Reach was voted as best DLC...
    What? Reach is almost cheating as a DLC because it’s an entire game. I thought Reach was the easiest choice of them all.

Looks like I need to play Outer Worlds since it was at least nominated for everything. The only thing I’m confused with is Old Man’s Journey. I can only think it won because it was on Game Pass and a quick completion.
    Because it's a remastered version obviously... it's not new content! I believe GOTY's should always be new content. Unless it's remastered like Halo 2 was or a complete remake like that Resident Evil game
    Ok, that makes sense. It is Xbox One X enhanced if that makes any difference, haha.
  • GRAND NOBLEGRAND NOBLE312,947
    Posted on 27 December 19 at 00:35Permalink
    MartyTheCrow said:
    Look... Old Man's Journey was an alright game, and I enjoyed it, but... ranking it above Outer Wilds is a damned crime!

Outer Wilds was an incredible game. Easily one of my favorite games of all time. Leagues and bounds above pretty much everything else this year.

I don't mean to belittle Old Man's Journey, but Outer Wilds isn't even in the same class. What a travesty.
    Yes! You literally said the exact same thing right after I did! OW not winning is ridiculous. I expect more from TA!
    Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
    Posted on 27 December 19 at 00:39Permalink
    I have an interesting idea/ addition. I think a lot of ppl are like me, and do not play a lot of "new" games. I would love to vote on games from 2018 now that I've played some.. but back in 2018 I hadn't.
    Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
  • cooper101183cooper101183715,567
    Posted on 27 December 19 at 00:57Permalink
    JX Junior said:
    cooper101183 said:
    JX Junior said:
    cooper101183 said:
    What, No way was Outer Worlds game of the year. Its very clear from playing the game that the game which was developed is very different from the end product. Its far to easy, full of useless pick ups and a wafer thin story packed out with politically correct characters. The game should be re-named 'Derivative' as every aspect of this game is unoriginal. More of a casual gamers game
    Aww, is someone sad that their game didn’t win? cry
    Did I mention another game at all. No, so perhaps either read my comment properly or try try shaking your head and see if it starts to make your brain work. I did not mention any other games only that the winner was unworthy. Clearly you lack the brain capacity to understand the difference.
    Man you must be REALLY salty if you have to turn into an 8 year old and throw insults. I’m sorry your game didn’t win. Maybe you lack the brain capacity to understand that. Get over yourself. This was the community vote, not your vote.
    im really sorry you lack the brain capacity to actually read a comment and UNDERSTAND it
    A cooper
  • DoctorThriftDoctorThrift236,365
    Posted on 27 December 19 at 20:06Permalink
    No reason to smile. No reason to rage. The results of game voting are just another "thing" to get excited for. It's a reward system for the Brain. Not unlike the millions of "Top 10" Lists of this or that on the Internet, some of which have no basis at all. The results are useless and say nothing here (and in other Game Voting Results). Even if one had the time to play EVERY single game on a given list for a fair amount of time, what about expense?

The problem here is that persons will vote on what could very well be the ONLY Game that they played on a given list. And how can that mean anything, really? Your hired to pick 1 out of 10 Bands for a Million Bucks - and you only listen to 1, and then pick that one. And the choice means: This one is the BEST. NO. It doesn't.

I'd like to know how often Game Pass Games (or Games that went Gold a month) score the winning position for "Best Game" or whatever other similar category. Even if only 5 Games were listed to vote on - what happens when 1 of them is Free on Game Pass - whilst the other 4 are all around 60 Bucks for the "Standard Packages"??? - Adding in some tax, say, about 300 Bucks for the 4 Games - and then there's the Free One. Vote for "Best Game". The Game Pass Game wins?? - As it winds up being the most played game, and the ONLY one played by many people. Seriously. Some folks will save up 60 Bucks for an upcoming game and just play that for the year - here and there, as they work and have a family. Meaning: 60 Bucks is a LOT of dough for some. So if they wind up playing other games, it's probably because they're Free - partially or fully. That, or some major 80% Discount.

In the end, the whole setup of voting & waiting & then getting these results is, again, just a Reward System that the Brain LOVES. The results mean nothing when Game Length, Cost (High end or FREE?) - and other things just undermine it all. So no smiles here. No sad face either. At least respecting the results. The plenitude of these Time-Wasting lists and votes and all else all over the Internet & the the incredible amount of reaction from so many people is another thing.

Happy Gaming!!! :-)
  • Throni360Throni3601,293,699
    Posted on 28 December 19 at 10:03Permalink
    cooper101183 said:
    What, No way was Outer Worlds game of the year.
    2019 was the weakest year in this decade of gaming. Not surprising that it won. Control would've won if they shilled more for it but they don't care about xbox anymore.
  • EarthboundXEarthboundX1,243,053
    Posted on 28 December 19 at 10:14, Edited on 28 December 19 at 10:17 by EarthboundXPermalink
    Throni360 said:
    cooper101183 said:
    2019 was the weakest year in this decade of gaming. Not surprising that it won. Control would've won if they shilled more for it but they don't care about xbox anymore.
    It won because of Gamepass, that's the only real reason. Not saying it doesn't deserve GOTY, as I've not played it yet. But it's pretty obvious looking at what won and what was picked for each category, it was just the most played from Gamepass that won.

Not that it really matters, people would be complaining no matter what game won GOTY here.

I disagree about 2019 as well, it seemed to be a pretty good year to me. RE2 Remake, Control, Outer Worlds and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice just to name a few.
  • FalensaranoFalensarano784,196
    Posted on 28 December 19 at 12:55Permalink
    It’s a tad ridiculous to be upset by anything in this poll. The voting was based on games people had played. A lot of the site who don’t have gamepass, me included,, haven't played a load of new releases.

This is by no means in an industry opinion and even if it was, being upset, angry or annoyed about it isn’t going to get you anywhere. GOTY is entirely subjective.
    Posted on 28 December 19 at 13:10Permalink
    EarthboundX said:
    Throni360 said:
    cooper101183 said:
    It won because of Gamepass, that's the only real reason. Not saying it doesn't deserve GOTY, as I've not played it yet. But it's pretty obvious looking at what won and what was picked for each category, it was just the most played from Gamepass that won.

Not that it really matters, people would be complaining no matter what game won GOTY here.

I disagree about 2019 as well, it seemed to be a pretty good year to me. RE2 Remake, Control, Outer Worlds and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice just to name a few.
    I AGREE
    A cooper
    Posted on 28 December 19 at 13:10Permalink
    Throni360 said:
    cooper101183 said:
    I agree
    A cooper
  • Posted on 29 December 19 at 16:21Permalink
    All 3 of those titles are lacklustre Borderlands 3 was a flop after 8 years of waiting, after New Vegas I expected more from Obsidian and Gears just hasn't been the same since Gears 2. Resi 2 was one of the best games this year. Disagree with those saying this year was a poor year too in gaming it was OK and the games mentioned aren't bad they just aren't amazing.
    Posted on 30 December 19 at 00:38Permalink
    EarthboundX said:
    Throni360 said:
    cooper101183 said:

you said Outer Worlds again at the end there, and I happen to know you meant Outer Wilds :)
  • EarthboundXEarthboundX1,243,053
    Posted on 30 December 19 at 00:49Permalink
    GRAND NOBLE said:
    EarthboundX said:
    Throni360 said:
    cooper101183 said:

you said Outer Worlds again at the end there, and I happen to know you meant Outer Wilds :)
    Not played either yet, both definitely interest me though.
  • wildwest08wildwest08753,481
    Posted on 30 December 19 at 05:42Permalink
    SciKo said:

I agree with this. I forgot to vote this year but usually my choices for games in the year they come out are slim. I am constantly working on backlog and with gamepass now it is endless. I was always looking at my choices and if they were not good games I would refrain from voting.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.