Windows Phone

Forum for general Windows Phone discussion, from the gaming to everyday use

Worth investing?

• SyioSyio472,643
    Posted on 31 December 19 at 19:57Permalink
    So I used to own a Windows Phone and had a few unfinished games that I wanted to play again. Turns out my old phone is not working anymore but I have been thinking of grabbing a second hand one off eBay.

With the news of service closures, will achievements stop working as well? I've searched numerous sites but cannot seem to find an answer.

Would appreciate some help and also a good recommendation for a Windows 10 phone!
  • Posted on 31 December 19 at 20:43Permalink
    Achievements are still currently working for wp. A great phone would be Lumia 650. I bought it on eBay a few months ago for $30.
  • SyioSyio472,643
    Posted on 31 December 19 at 20:50Permalink
    Bastian Reader said:
    Achievements are still currently working for wp. A great phone would be Lumia 650. I bought it on eBay a few months ago for $30.
    That's great to hear! Just so I'm on the right page, I can buy any Windows phone and it will still work but just no more updates, right? I'll have a search on eBay and see what I can find in the UK! Thanks for the help!
  • Posted on 31 December 19 at 21:35Permalink
    I'm pretty sure you can't download any games from the WP store. My WP7 store just constantly loads but nothing ever loads up.
    Dead Rising Survivalist: 17d 07h 01m 34s (PS4 ; 2nd), 17d 07h 01m 36s (Xbox One ; 1st) Xbox 360 : 17d 07h 00m (hacked leaderboard)
  • J4CKA1J4CKA1184,100
    Posted on 31 December 19 at 21:45, Edited on 31 December 19 at 22:23 by J4CKA1Permalink
    Yes, if you have the games already downloaded, you are good to go. If you are looking to get back into games with a "brand new" phone, or just breaking onto the scene, you missed the boat.

EDIT (for below comment): If for W10, you should be good.
  • AhayzoAhayzo604,708
    Posted on 31 December 19 at 22:21Permalink
    BPBPBPBPBPBPBP said:
    I'm pretty sure you can't download any games from the WP store. My WP7 store just constantly loads but nothing ever loads up.
    WP7 and WP8 has their stores shut down this month. 10 should still work
    #mentallypudding The artist formerly known as alklein92201
  • SyioSyio472,643
    Posted on 31 December 19 at 22:59Permalink
    Ah, so, window 10 phones are still functional and I can buy/download games? I have a handful of games I’ve bought on what I imagine was the WP7 as it was a long time ago - will I be able to redownload those?

When I searched on the official Xbox site for my window phone games, the ones I had before did show up as purchased so I’m guessing it will be ok?
  • Posted on 01 January 20 at 00:11Permalink
    Syio said:
    Ah, so, window 10 phones are still functional and I can buy/download games? I have a handful of games I’ve bought on what I imagine was the WP7 as it was a long time ago - will I be able to redownload those?

When I searched on the official Xbox site for my window phone games, the ones I had before did show up as purchased so I’m guessing it will be ok?
    WP10 store is still working. WP7 and WP8 stores are shut down. The majority of games can be downloaded on WP10 except for a few games such as Microsoft Minesweeper (WP) Achievements, Microsoft Solitaire Collection (WP) Achievements, Da Vinci Pinball Machine (WP) Achievements, Mass Effect: Infiltrator (WP) Achievements, The Sims 3 (WP) Achievements,Assassin's Creed: Altaïr's Chronicles HD (WP) Achievements, Mirror's Edge (WP) Achievements and The Harvest (WP) Achievements
  • SyioSyio472,643
    Posted on 01 January 20 at 01:18Permalink
    Awesome! I appreciate all the help :) I’m going to go ahead and grab a phone off eBay as I’m positive my previously purchased games showing up on the Xbox website will download fine. Last question: do I require a sim to play games or can I just use it as a simless WiFi only device?
  • Posted on 01 January 20 at 02:17Permalink
    Syio said:
    Awesome! I appreciate all the help :) I’m going to go ahead and grab a phone off eBay as I’m positive my previously purchased games showing up on the Xbox website will download fine. Last question: do I require a sim to play games or can I just use it as a simless WiFi only device?
    SIM cards/data plans are not required. You can just use WiFi for everything.
  • SyioSyio472,643
    Posted on 01 January 20 at 09:27Permalink
    Excellent! Time to grab a phone and get some of here old games sorted then :D thanks again for all the help!
  • PaulRKraftPaulRKraft98,467
    Posted on 05 January 20 at 12:00Permalink
    On WP 10 I have deleted game that have been delisted from WP10 store because they froze while playing and needed to be reinstalled. If you go to WP 10 store, My Library, then you have the option to reinstall owned games that are now said to be delisted which is awesome. In my opinion this makes a WP10 still worth owning. Honestly just wish Microsoft would make a handheld system since they have cooled of on WP gaming.
  • DejingDejing402,716
    Posted on 12 January 20 at 00:13, Edited on 12 January 20 at 00:14 by DejingPermalink
    I’m thinking about buying a windows phone for achievements. What would be a good Windows 10 phone to buy now?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.