Investigations Questions

Question for the Investigations Team? Please remember to keep posts civil, abusive posts can result in loss of posting privileges. Posts in this forum can be read by anyone on the site. Please do not attempt to hijack a thread by posting information not relevant to the original post, start a new thread instead.

Clarifying what is considered "editing/manipulating game files"

• thanatos8285thanatos8285315,466
    Posted on 03 January 20 at 19:04Permalink
    So I understand that going into a file and changing values would definitely be considered editing or manipulating, but what about making copies of game files and then restoring them strategically to undo unfavorable results? Such as to give yourself a second/third/fourth/etc. try at a missable achievement? It would obviously not be editing a file, but I could see an argument for that being manipulation of game files. Based on the conversation in this thread: Save copying? it seems like it would be fine. It's also similar to the third solution for this achievement:
    Microsoft Treasure Hunt (Win 8)I’m Rich!The I’m Rich! achievement in Microsoft Treasure Hunt (Win 8) worth 49 pointsGather 5000000 gold
    which has been up for over a year, which seems like confirmation that it's ok. But I'd rather just have that explicitly confirmed rather than doing something stupid.
  • Posted on 03 January 20 at 22:16Permalink
    This is one that the TA team have flip flopped on multiple times in the past. It was at one point 100% fine to perform file copying, deleting, renaming etc. Then for whatever reason they decided that it was not OK.

That particular solution will get removed now that you have put a spotlight on it.
  • thanatos8285thanatos8285315,466
    Posted on 04 January 20 at 00:18Permalink
    So the current stance is that this method is a no-go, correct?
  • Posted on 05 January 20 at 20:16Permalink
    The line in the Cheat Policy refers to any manipulation of game files. So, if you are required to change a file or several file's location to accomplish a 'hack' such as in the case of Halo 2 (PC)'s campaign, FUEL (PC)'s debug menu and so on.... it is considered cheating.

File moves as the solution noted are commonly kept off the site as they lead down a very dark rabbit hole.
  • iViluxiVilux352,017
    Posted on 13 February 20 at 12:15Permalink
    So is it allowed?
  • Posted on 13 February 20 at 15:10Permalink
    iVilux said:
    So is it allowed?
    Read the last sentence from the IM for the answer
    This message was paid for by China
  • iViluxiVilux352,017
    Posted on 13 February 20 at 15:21Permalink
    Living Legends said:
    iVilux said:
    So is it allowed?
    So why is the solution still there?
  • Posted on 13 February 20 at 16:12Permalink
    iVilux said:
    Living Legends said:
    iVilux said:
    So is it allowed?
    So why is the solution still there?
    Needs to be reported so the administration for that division can handle it. The IM only provides details of the investigation and outcomes and the correct staff member has to adjust it
    This message was paid for by China
  • CLARION 85CLARION 852,276,967
    Posted on 19 February 20 at 14:36Permalink
    Hy Investigations Manager

What about Cheats or Trainers on Win 10 Games???

Many People use it and even with Reports they are still here on the Site so is that allowed or not...some people say its hard to see if they cheated or not but in my eyes its very easy to see if someone unlock Achievements in a way that makes no sense or fx get cumulative/collectible achievements 1st without beating level 1....its just only SAD that TA does nothing against those people and with more Games coming/releasing on WIN 10 TA is just not trustfull anymore...sad days
  • Posted on 22 February 20 at 05:53Permalink
    As I've said in the past, trainers and mods for 99% of games will earn you an investigation if it can be proven. There are some exceptions, most notably the Master Chief Collection thanks to 343i's poor mod implementation.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.