Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Twelve Days of Christmas 2019 Stats Round-Up

  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm473,262
    Posted on 09 January 20 at 18:38
    I finally bit the bullet and decided to complete a community challenge. I was glad I did so, it was entertaining and stimulating. Big thumbs up to all the organizers as well as to the TA members who participated.
  • EthigyEthigy747,054
    Posted on 09 January 20 at 19:34
    Luckily I’d already been working on a time consuming achievement and just happened to unlock it the day the challenge started, so that was convenient. Thank you to everyone who got them to change the first day’s requirement because now I need to participate in one less Community Challenge for the gold badge.

    The Community Challenges are enjoyable but with a high percentage, they force me to start multiple games at a time and I much prefer to just focus on one until completion.
  • Posted on 09 January 20 at 20:25
    Smudgenat0r said:
    MagicalChild said:
    JohnnyInterfnk said:
    Smudgenat0r said:
    JohnnyInterfnk said:
    An extremely limited list of achievements plus a MASSIVE time sink made this a challenge terrible. The fix was warranted and appropriate -- you don't want to blow away the vast majority of contestants right at the starting gate.
    Respectfully people in your situation are not even close to the vast majority.
    I could only get American numbers on the facts below, but the statistics show you're wrong:

    Unemployment in America is currently at 3.6% -- therein statistically the vast majority of people are employed or in school.

    Number varies on this, but between 1 in 5 to 1 in 10 Americans report having "no close friends".

    Roughly 6.5% of Americans report no family contact.

    As you can see, these are all small numbers, and to find someone where all three combine (unemployed, no friends, no family obligations) would be even smaller.

    Hence, "my" situation is far more common...
    I'm fairly certain that comment wasn't about RL situations but your personal gaming situation, i.e. a high completion percentage with a low amount of games played.
    Exactly what I was referring to. Apologies if that was unclear.
    I did misinterpret. My apologies on that.

    To bring things together, we had a bit over 5000 people participate with a 42% success ratio. For something like this, I personally would think you'd be looking for a 50% completion ratio -- enough challenge where participants would have to work for it, but not too onerous to discourage people from playing. Given the 50% threshold, even with the Day 1 correction, this event was ever so slightly overtuned (which is fine, as you can never predict exact numbers), but over all where you want to be. Leaving challenge 1 in as it was would plummet the number way down from the 50% benchmark.

    If 50% isn't the right number, I'd be interested in seeing what others think the right number is.
  • Posted on 09 January 20 at 21:16
    Decided I wasn’t going any further after weighing my options for day 9 (didn’t want to start any of the easy solutions). First site challenge I’ve taken part in and enjoyed it, though.
  • o Heres Jonny oo Heres Jonny o1,229,612
    Posted on 09 January 20 at 21:33
    Loving the gold badge. :-)
    Happy Gaming
  • SheBeatsYouSheBeatsYou313,438
    Posted on 09 January 20 at 21:44
    JohnnyInterfnk said:
    Smudgenat0r said:
    MagicalChild said:
    JohnnyInterfnk said:
    Smudgenat0r said:
    JohnnyInterfnk said:
    An extremely limited list of achievements plus a MASSIVE time sink made this a challenge terrible. The fix was warranted and appropriate -- you don't want to blow away the vast majority of contestants right at the starting gate.
    Respectfully people in your situation are not even close to the vast majority.
    I could only get American numbers on the facts below, but the statistics show you're wrong:

    Unemployment in America is currently at 3.6% -- therein statistically the vast majority of people are employed or in school.

    Number varies on this, but between 1 in 5 to 1 in 10 Americans report having "no close friends".

    Roughly 6.5% of Americans report no family contact.

    As you can see, these are all small numbers, and to find someone where all three combine (unemployed, no friends, no family obligations) would be even smaller.

    Hence, "my" situation is far more common...
    I'm fairly certain that comment wasn't about RL situations but your personal gaming situation, i.e. a high completion percentage with a low amount of games played.
    Exactly what I was referring to. Apologies if that was unclear.
    I did misinterpret. My apologies on that.

    To bring things together, we had a bit over 5000 people participate with a 42% success ratio. For something like this, I personally would think you'd be looking for a 50% completion ratio -- enough challenge where participants would have to work for it, but not too onerous to discourage people from playing. Given the 50% threshold, even with the Day 1 correction, this event was ever so slightly overtuned (which is fine, as you can never predict exact numbers), but over all where you want to be. Leaving challenge 1 in as it was would plummet the number way down from the 50% benchmark.

    If 50% isn't the right number, I'd be interested in seeing what others think the right number is.
    A lot higher than 50% IMO. I don't understand the huge dropoff numbers. Is there a benefit to joining a challenge and not participating? Happened allot with the last Ultimate Head 2 Head Challenge. Many people just weren't competing giving easy wins each week. I could see not completed towards the end if out of time but so many dropped off immediately. Even with a hard first cheevo at minimal effort one could find a game that only requires a few hours. If a casual gamer like me can do it most should too. Id say more like 75% should be the turnout given all the "pro" gamers on the site.
  • Posted on 09 January 20 at 21:46, Edited on 09 January 20 at 21:48 by Elite1111111111
    SheBeatsYou said:
    A lot higher than 50% IMO. I don't understand the huge dropoff numbers. Is there a benefit to joining a challenge and not participating? Happened allot with the last Ultimate Head 2 Head Challenge. Many people just weren't competing giving easy wins each week. I could see not completed towards the end if out of time but so many dropped off immediately. Even with a hard first cheevo at minimal effort one could find a game that only requires a few hours. If a casual gamer like me can do it most should too. Id say more like 75% should be the turnout given all the "pro" gamers on the site.
    Not like it costs anything to sign up. People might as well sign up on the off-chance they'll participate.
  • XPac23XPac231,045,584
    Posted on 09 January 20 at 22:01
    Wow, the only game in the top ten I played for the challenges was Rare Replay. Other games I used a lot were Killer Instinct, Afterparty, Rush, NHL 19 and Westerado. Then various other games for one, two or three achievements.
  • EazyE2285EazyE2285420,762
    Posted on 09 January 20 at 22:05
    brooza664 said:
    How many got the bonus achievement?
    And how many got the time consuming achievement for day 1 vs collectible?
    It was asked and posted in a forum that the badge won't be available for awhile because of having to write new code. At this point they probably don't even know the answer for you. And probably never will give you an answer to the 2nd one

    Smudgenat0r said:
    JohnnyInterfnk said:
    An extremely limited list of achievements plus a MASSIVE time sink made this a challenge terrible. The fix was warranted and appropriate -- you don't want to blow away the vast majority of contestants right at the starting gate.
    Respectfully people in your situation are not even close to the vast majority.
    Yeah that part had me dying. Gold badge percentage badges account for .016% for GS over 20k (which honestly if your percentage is that high you didn't have enough games or variation to finish this anyway) jump to above 100k and it's now .046% of the total users in that bunch. I could add extremely, expansively, ultimately, utterly to vast and change it from majority to minority and it still barely describes the subset that could but don't really have the right to bitch about it. Oh boo hoo. Buy a game you don't have that has the easiest one and play along or don't. No one asked you to join something that's free or doesn't effect your life in anyway.
  • XPac23XPac231,045,584
    Posted on 09 January 20 at 22:11
    EazyE2285 said:
    brooza664 said:
    How many got the bonus achievement?
    And how many got the time consuming achievement for day 1 vs collectible?
    It was asked and posted in a forum that the badge won't be available for awhile because of having to write new code. At this point they probably don't even know the answer for you. And probably never will give you an answer to the 2nd one

    I've got the bonus badge. I think they released it today because I didn't see it there before now.
  • SheBeatsYouSheBeatsYou313,438
    Posted on 09 January 20 at 22:17
    Elite1111111111 said:
    SheBeatsYou said:
    A lot higher than 50% IMO. I don't understand the huge dropoff numbers. Is there a benefit to joining a challenge and not participating? Happened allot with the last Ultimate Head 2 Head Challenge. Many people just weren't competing giving easy wins each week. I could see not completed towards the end if out of time but so many dropped off immediately. Even with a hard first cheevo at minimal effort one could find a game that only requires a few hours. If a casual gamer like me can do it most should too. Id say more like 75% should be the turnout given all the "pro" gamers on the site.
    Not like it costs anything to sign up. People might as well sign up on the off-chance they'll participate.
    Dunno seems weirdly rude to me. I wouldn't sign up for something I had no intent to do seems silly AF. Guess I'm silly for thinking it LOL roll
  • EazyE2285EazyE2285420,762
    Posted on 09 January 20 at 22:53
    JohnnyInterfnk said:
    Smudgenat0r said:
    MagicalChild said:
    JohnnyInterfnk said:
    Smudgenat0r said:
    JohnnyInterfnk said:
    An extremely limited list of achievements plus a MASSIVE time sink made this a challenge terrible. The fix was warranted and appropriate -- you don't want to blow away the vast majority of contestants right at the starting gate.
    Respectfully people in your situation are not even close to the vast majority.
    I could only get American numbers on the facts below, but the statistics show you're wrong:

    Unemployment in America is currently at 3.6% -- therein statistically the vast majority of people are employed or in school.

    Number varies on this, but between 1 in 5 to 1 in 10 Americans report having "no close friends".

    Roughly 6.5% of Americans report no family contact.

    As you can see, these are all small numbers, and to find someone where all three combine (unemployed, no friends, no family obligations) would be even smaller.

    Hence, "my" situation is far more common...
    I'm fairly certain that comment wasn't about RL situations but your personal gaming situation, i.e. a high completion percentage with a low amount of games played.
    Exactly what I was referring to. Apologies if that was unclear.
    I did misinterpret. My apologies on that.

    To bring things together, we had a bit over 5000 people participate with a 42% success ratio. For something like this, I personally would think you'd be looking for a 50% completion ratio -- enough challenge where participants would have to work for it, but not too onerous to discourage people from playing. Given the 50% threshold, even with the Day 1 correction, this event was ever so slightly overtuned (which is fine, as you can never predict exact numbers), but over all where you want to be. Leaving challenge 1 in as it was would plummet the number way down from the 50% benchmark.

    If 50% isn't the right number, I'd be interested in seeing what others think the right number is.
    There is maybe a couple hundred of the 5k that participated that have a Gold Badge for completion. It's such a minuscule amount of the pool. Out of those there's probably a bunch that would have still got it because one more notch up on their virtual badge means that much to them. The only reason it pissed you and your minority of users with high completion percentage off is because you would either have to buy a new game or grind out the rest of an old one to get it. That's it.

    It was ONE. It could have been Day 5.

    As for the last part, Only 45% that registered made it last year, 46% the first year. Not sure where you get that 50% should be what they strive for. It's a CHALLENGE!
  • ShinnizleShinnizle1,156,480
    Posted on 09 January 20 at 22:56
    XPac23 said:
    EazyE2285 said:
    It was asked and posted in a forum that the badge won't be available for awhile because of having to write new code. At this point they probably don't even know the answer for you. And probably never will give you an answer to the 2nd one
    I've got the bonus badge. I think they released it today because I didn't see it there before now.
    The badge has been there since the 7th.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • EazyE2285EazyE2285420,762
    Posted on 09 January 20 at 23:00
    XPac23 said:
    EazyE2285 said:
    brooza664 said:
    How many got the bonus achievement?
    And how many got the time consuming achievement for day 1 vs collectible?
    It was asked and posted in a forum that the badge won't be available for awhile because of having to write new code. At this point they probably don't even know the answer for you. And probably never will give you an answer to the 2nd one

    I've got the bonus badge. I think they released it today because I didn't see it there before now.
    The only way I can scroll over them to see a total is on my PC which I never use. Maybe I saw that last week or something and they said next week sometime. It is most certainly there though.

    Now I really do wonder how many of the completions did it with time consuming before collectible.

    Also someone from the 100% club are my numbers correct that it dropped from 138 to 121 with this? It'd be kind of interesting to see how many of those that were in it before didn't get it this time and hear why. Did they not even join? Did they slow down their gaming? Did they make it to Z or V and run out of time? Did they get drunk on Christmas and wake up on New Years Day? laugh
  • Posted on 09 January 20 at 23:00
    Well I'm glad I signed up for my first challenge and did a lot better than I had thought I would. Day 12 might have gone faster for me but that N kicked my butt. Definitely going to have to join in on more of the challenges.
  • Redd FiveRedd Five888,559
    Posted on 09 January 20 at 23:05
    SheBeatsYou said:
    JohnnyInterfnk said:
    Smudgenat0r said:
    MagicalChild said:
    JohnnyInterfnk said:
    Smudgenat0r said:
    JohnnyInterfnk said:
    An extremely limited list of achievements plus a MASSIVE time sink made this a challenge terrible. The fix was warranted and appropriate -- you don't want to blow away the vast majority of contestants right at the starting gate.
    Respectfully people in your situation are not even close to the vast majority.
    I could only get American numbers on the facts below, but the statistics show you're wrong:

    Unemployment in America is currently at 3.6% -- therein statistically the vast majority of people are employed or in school.

    Number varies on this, but between 1 in 5 to 1 in 10 Americans report having "no close friends".

    Roughly 6.5% of Americans report no family contact.

    As you can see, these are all small numbers, and to find someone where all three combine (unemployed, no friends, no family obligations) would be even smaller.

    Hence, "my" situation is far more common...
    I'm fairly certain that comment wasn't about RL situations but your personal gaming situation, i.e. a high completion percentage with a low amount of games played.
    Exactly what I was referring to. Apologies if that was unclear.
    I did misinterpret. My apologies on that.

    To bring things together, we had a bit over 5000 people participate with a 42% success ratio. For something like this, I personally would think you'd be looking for a 50% completion ratio -- enough challenge where participants would have to work for it, but not too onerous to discourage people from playing. Given the 50% threshold, even with the Day 1 correction, this event was ever so slightly overtuned (which is fine, as you can never predict exact numbers), but over all where you want to be. Leaving challenge 1 in as it was would plummet the number way down from the 50% benchmark.

    If 50% isn't the right number, I'd be interested in seeing what others think the right number is.
    A lot higher than 50% IMO. I don't understand the huge dropoff numbers. Is there a benefit to joining a challenge and not participating? Happened allot with the last Ultimate Head 2 Head Challenge. Many people just weren't competing giving easy wins each week. I could see not completed towards the end if out of time but so many dropped off immediately. Even with a hard first cheevo at minimal effort one could find a game that only requires a few hours. If a casual gamer like me can do it most should too. Id say more like 75% should be the turnout given all the "pro" gamers on the site.
    It's easy to sign up for something online then never think about it again. Heck, I have a fantasy hockey team I've checked like 4 times this season. I'm still in 4th, somehow!
  • SchinderdivSchinderdiv664,836
    Posted on 09 January 20 at 23:17
    Along with a few others before me, I'd also like to know how many people completed this challenge with a time consuming achievement for the first day, and how many people ended up with the bonus badge overall. Considering the controversy that situation has had with the community, it seems like at least a somewhat important statistic [to me].
    If you have to ask, you're streets behind.
  • EarthboundXEarthboundX1,541,615
    Posted on 09 January 20 at 23:34
    True Marvellous said:
    Just over 1% of registered users entered the event then.

    compute
    Yeah, I have a feeling most members of TA aren't really that active. They just join and forget about it.
  • EarthboundXEarthboundX1,541,615
    Posted on 09 January 20 at 23:37, Edited on 09 January 20 at 23:39 by EarthboundX
    EazyE2285 said:
    brooza664 said:
    How many got the bonus achievement?
    And how many got the time consuming achievement for day 1 vs collectible?
    It was asked and posted in a forum that the badge won't be available for awhile because of having to write new code. At this point they probably don't even know the answer for you. And probably never will give you an answer to the 2nd one

    Smudgenat0r said:
    JohnnyInterfnk said:
    An extremely limited list of achievements plus a MASSIVE time sink made this a challenge terrible. The fix was warranted and appropriate -- you don't want to blow away the vast majority of contestants right at the starting gate.
    Respectfully people in your situation are not even close to the vast majority.
    Yeah that part had me dying. Gold badge percentage badges account for .016% for GS over 20k (which honestly if your percentage is that high you didn't have enough games or variation to finish this anyway) jump to above 100k and it's now .046% of the total users in that bunch. I could add extremely, expansively, ultimately, utterly to vast and change it from majority to minority and it still barely describes the subset that could but don't really have the right to bitch about it. Oh boo hoo. Buy a game you don't have that has the easiest one and play along or don't. No one asked you to join something that's free or doesn't effect your life in anyway.
    Just checked and I have the bonus badge.

    Whoops, a couple others already said that, haha.

    Another fun TA challenge!
  • EazyE2285EazyE2285420,762
    Posted on 10 January 20 at 00:34
    Schinderdiv said:
    Along with a few others before me, I'd also like to know how many people completed this challenge with a time consuming achievement for the first day, and how many people ended up with the bonus badge overall. Considering the controversy that situation has had with the community, it seems like at least a somewhat important statistic [to me].
    Honestly the only one I cared to see here and it wasn't included. It is 100% a statistic they know as well. Reading the thread about the 100% club the people who used a time consuming achievement for Day 1 received their Gold Badge before those who did it sometime in December so the number is out there.

    Also seeing what the top 10 for time consuming achievements used and their numbers would be cool. Again something I'm sure they have access to/wouldn't take long to get access to but neglected to include.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.