Industry News

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Phil Spencer Confirms We'll Be Seeing Xbox At E3 This Year

• Stoic SlabStoic Slab313,619
    Posted on 14 January 20 at 22:27Permalink
    The big three have been shifting away from E3 the last few years in favor of alternative venues. In Microsoft's case, however, they have their own complex that is literally across the street from where E3 is traditionally held. It's probably more convenient for them to stick around, otherwise they too might have bailed.
  • Posted on 14 January 20 at 23:49Permalink
    I just love E3, It's like a summer Christmas.
  • ZerstucaZerstuca226,033
    Posted on 15 January 20 at 01:05, Edited on 15 January 20 at 01:06 by ZerstucaPermalink
    TDK Skin Walker said:
    Luuc said:
    Does this mean Microsoft will finally take the opportunity to kick Sony of the throne since they won't be showing up at E3 again?
    Microsoft never lost the throne.
    They absolutely lost this gen. There wasn't even anything that good this decade to pull me into playing my Xbox 1, spent way more time finishing up 360 titles.
    Halo 5, Doom off the top of my head but I ended up just playing most multi console releases on Steam because all but 1 friend bought an Xb1 to begin with and there was no notable exclusives to get hyped over.
    Change my mind, open to hear I missed something.

"The PS4 has sold 92.64 million units lifetime, the Xbox One 41.48 million units, and the Switch 30.65 million units."
    - http://www.vgchartz.com/article/436094/switch-vs-ps4-vs-xbox...
    [URL=https://www.trueachievements.com/gamer/Zerstuca][IMG]https://www.trueachievements.com/gamercards/Zerstuca.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • FriskiNiskiFriskiNiski185,142
    Posted on 15 January 20 at 08:21Permalink
    Let's go, Microsoft! The ball is in your court; what are you going to do with it?
    FriskiNiski
  • SashamorningSashamorning1,767,133
    Posted on 15 January 20 at 10:04Permalink
    T0NY HAYABUSA said:
    Luuc said:
    Does this mean Microsoft will finally take the opportunity to kick Sony of the throne since they won't be showing up at E3 again?
    Probably not. I think the pricing for the new xbox will be $600 and PS5 will be $500. That right there will obviously make PS sell better and again, be on top. Either way though, I will be picking up both systems. Just sucks that xbox will not have any exclusives come launch.
    MS will price the Xbox at or below the PS5. No way will it remotely approach $600. The X was only $500.

Sony is hiding. I think they're coy because they don't want to show they're hand and let Xbox snipe them. I honestly wouldn't be surprised, even with all the power that SX has, if MS still undercut their price, and Sony doesn't want to show up at E3 and have that happen.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
  • Posted on 15 January 20 at 12:24Permalink
    Sashamorning said:
    T0NY HAYABUSA said:
    Luuc said:
    Probably not. I think the pricing for the new xbox will be $600 and PS5 will be $500. That right there will obviously make PS sell better and again, be on top. Either way though, I will be picking up both systems. Just sucks that xbox will not have any exclusives come launch.
    MS will price the Xbox at or below the PS5. No way will it remotely approach $600. The X was only $500.

Sony is hiding. I think they're coy because they don't want to show they're hand and let Xbox snipe them. I honestly wouldn't be surprised, even with all the power that SX has, if MS still undercut their price, and Sony doesn't want to show up at E3 and have that happen.
    I would love to have it cheaper than the PS5. Take this with a bucket of salt but there was a leak of how much it will be and it said $500 with no PS5 Pro in 2020. Also, they said they will announce it on February 5th I believe and show the PS5. Someone supposedly has a pic of the system as there forum pic somewhere but like I said, take it with a bucket of salt. If it is true for $500, then they would need to sell it for the same or even $450.
  • Posted on 15 January 20 at 13:50, Edited on 15 January 20 at 14:00 by Stinky Big BudsPermalink
    Hmm at first it looks like Sony have nothing to offer and hopefully MS have the upper hand but it's to early to assume, there's a long way to go yet and Sony surely have something up their sleeve.

Maybe it's that E3 is just becoming less favourable to other venues as some have already said and that's all there is to it.

I'm going to guess £500 for the SX because that's all I want to pay :D
    Damn £500 is a lot of money and they say this hobby is for kids..
    Posted on 15 January 20 at 19:00Permalink
    T0NY HAYABUSA said:
    Sashamorning said:
    T0NY HAYABUSA said:
    Luuc said:

I would love to have it cheaper than the PS5. Take this with a bucket of salt but there was a leak of how much it will be and it said $500 with no PS5 Pro in 2020. Also, they said they will announce it on February 5th I believe and show the PS5. Someone supposedly has a pic of the system as there forum pic somewhere but like I said, take it with a bucket of salt. If it is true for $500, then they would need to sell it for the same or even $450.
    PS5 starting at $500 would make it much easier for Microsoft to undercut or, at the very least, match it with the SX. By that same token, it would also be easier for them to mark it higher. The latter I believe is more likely, but they can better afford taking a hit to make themselves more competitive - especially if the rumored Series S is still some ways away.

If a Series S is released within a year of the Series X, I think they’ll be priced at $300/$600, respectively. Any further than that, then I project the Series X is $500.
  • Posted on 16 January 20 at 15:53Permalink
    Stoic Slab said:
    T0NY HAYABUSA said:
    Sashamorning said:
    T0NY HAYABUSA said:
    Luuc said:

PS5 starting at $500 would make it much easier for Microsoft to undercut or, at the very least, match it with the SX. By that same token, it would also be easier for them to mark it higher. The latter I believe is more likely, but they can better afford taking a hit to make themselves more competitive - especially if the rumored Series S is still some ways away.

If a Series S is released within a year of the Series X, I think they’ll be priced at $300/$600, respectively. Any further than that, then I project the Series X is $500.
    I don't know to be honest anymore. They really should price it at the same price as the PS5 or even less. It would make more sense. PS5 will outsell the new Xbox.
    Posted on 16 January 20 at 18:26Permalink
    T0NY HAYABUSA said:
    I don't know to be honest anymore. They really should price it at the same price as the PS5 or even less. It would make more sense. PS5 will outsell the new Xbox.
    Ideally yes, though generally these companies manufacture their machines at a loss and there is a threshold as to how much they're willing to loose in order to be competetive. And with all the news suggesting that the Series X is going to be the more powerful of the two, then it stands to reason that it will be more expensive.

Even so, they'd have to be really confident that it'll sell well enough and then make that money back in from software and services.. With something like games pass thrown into the mix, I suppose it is conceivable, but I have my doubts.

Besides, Microsoft already has a steep hill to climb if they intend to match Sony's success. First party titles for one. Sony has smartly invested in its own studios many years ago and for the last few years, they've been reaping the benefits.

Plus people will hesitate the switch brands if the one they've stuck with has worked out well.

It might not no longer be in their plans to simply succeed in terms of console market share, but if they want the new Xbox to be relevant again, they'd have to offer something remarkable to make it enticing to customers. Otherwise, they'd have hope for the competition to foul-up, and I don't believe Sony would be that careless to repeat mistakes of the PS3 or Xbox One.
  • ShinnizleShinnizle786,854
    Posted on 16 January 20 at 19:39Permalink
    Didn't Microsoft already state that they learned from their mistakes when it comes to the pricing of the Xbox One at launch, or something to that effect? I'd be surprised if they price it higher than the PS5 this time around.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
    Posted on 17 January 20 at 00:03Permalink
    Shinnizle said:
    Didn't Microsoft already state that they learned from their mistakes when it comes to the pricing of the Xbox One at launch, or something to that effect? I'd be surprised if they price it higher than the PS5 this time around.
    I interpreted that as them wanting to be smarter about how they price the Xbox rather than simply making it cheaper. In the case of the Xbox One, it was a machine that was weaker yet more expensive than the competition (not to mention came with an accessory that no one really wanted).

This time around, I think they’ll want to balance out power with pricing in a way that customers will find satisfactory. So if there’s this perception that the Series X is more powerful than the PS5, then they have a better chance of getting away with a higher price.

That being said, I think it would be absolutely insane of them to price it anywhere near $600. I can’t imagine too many people willing to shell out that amount of money for a console. Power is great and all, but the main appeal of a console is that it balances performance with convenience, and at that point one might as well consider getting a gaming PC.
  • TF LegolasTF Legolas579,279
    Posted on 17 January 20 at 13:58Permalink
    Sony doesn't need E3. Either does Microsoft. E3 will no longer be relevant in another year or two. Companies can easily put on their own thing and get massive exposure.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.