Film and TV

For discussions on upcoming films, films in general, TV shows and the like

Better Call Saul

• CandysR00mCandysR00m19,287
    Posted on 29 February 20 at 06:17Permalink
    Who else is watching this show?

Love it even more than Breaking Bad. Could go on at length about it if there's anyone here who wants to talk about it. It seems like some of the kinda disparate narrative threads are finally being tied together this season, which should be very interesting to see.
  • RadiantViperRadiantViper786,947
    Posted on 29 February 20 at 09:52Permalink
    Watching it and loving it. It might be recency bias but I think it's better than Breaking Bad too. Regardless, two excellent shows.
  • GLOVEZ 1 2 3GLOVEZ 1 2 3247,819
    Posted on 29 February 20 at 15:23Permalink
    Was dissapointed with that braking bad film that came out.
    Dad suggested it and it's doing well, no Skyler so that might be why y'all prefer it to braking bad
    me
  • AhayzoAhayzo684,966
    Posted on 29 February 20 at 18:50Permalink
    I really enjoyed it the first 3 seasons. Now the 4th is on Netflix, and I'm struggling to even get through the first episode. Hopefully it picks back up.

Definitely wouldn't rate it over Breaking Bad, but it's also a very different kind of show so they are difficult to compare.
    #mentallypudding The artist formerly known as alklein92201
  • Posted on 29 February 20 at 19:25Permalink
    The new season is great, I think the show definitely starts out slow but I also loved it. Can’t wait for season 5.
    Posted on 01 March 20 at 17:20Permalink
    RadiantViper said:
    Watching it and loving it. It might be recency bias but I think it's better than Breaking Bad too. Regardless, two excellent shows.
    Yeah, Breaking Bad is outstanding as well! But the things that I would count among its relatively few flaws are among the areas where I think BCS does the best. Breaking Bad also is a show where Walter White is basically a total douchebag from day 1 and it's just a question of when you recognize it - which is definitely very interesting as an experiment - but in BCS, both Chuck AND Jimmy have been simultaneously sympathetic and unsympathetic in different ways at the outset, so I think it's a much richer character study and more complex, morally ambiguous show.

GLOVEZ 1 2 3 said:
    Was dissapointed with that braking bad film that came out.
    Dad suggested it and it's doing well, no Skyler so that might be why y'all prefer it to braking bad
    I was pleasantly surprised by the movie! I didn't like the idea - the ambiguity of Jesse's ending is the one thing I like about the finale (I love Breaking Bad in general, but I have the unpopular opinion of really disliking its finale) - but in practice the movie was a lot more entertaining and engaging than I expected.

Skyler, while not written as well as she could have been and not an all-time great character, is still a strong and especially sympathetic one who is pretty integral to the themes that make Breaking Bad at all worthwhile. Most of the fan hatred for her is a combination of misogyny and people completely missing the point of the series in just rooting for the protagonist.

Ahayzo said:
    I really enjoyed it the first 3 seasons. Now the 4th is on Netflix, and I'm struggling to even get through the first episode. Hopefully it picks back up.

Definitely wouldn't rate it over Breaking Bad, but it's also a very different kind of show so they are difficult to compare.
    Interesting; 4x01 is one of my all-time favorites. 3x10 "Lantern" is my favorite episode from either series and one of my favorite things I've ever seen in general, and I spent over a year wondering how on Earth the series could go on without Chuck and how they could move past his death in a way that would still feel sufficiently respectful of the gravity of that death as well as the character. They absolutely knocked it out of the park imo with a very beautiful season premiere that, in a show that's often built around fast-paced dialogue and humor, instead used a lot of meticulous quiet to lead us in. Beautiful episode -- it's a slow one, but, well, they're reacting to his brother's suicide by fire; it SHOULD be slow.

That said, I know a number of people thought that episode was "just okay" -- and personally I think 4x03 and 4x04 might be the two weakest episodes of the series to date (though still, neither is bad) -- and generally speaking a TON of those people came around on the season by the finale. Stick with it, the finale is great and brings a lot of stuff about the season full circle.

A Dreadful Shot said:
    The new season is great, I think the show definitely starts out slow but I also loved it. Can’t wait for season 5.
    Yeah, both episodes have been strong so far! I'm very interested in how Saul and Kim's relationship will dissolve, how "the Saul story" and "the cartel story" will instead simply become one story, and it's of course fun to see him interact with new clients; that "Magic Man" montage was great.
  • AhayzoAhayzo684,966
    Posted on 01 March 20 at 19:26Permalink
    personally I think 4x03 and 4x04 might be the two weakest episodes of the series to date
    Not giving me a lot of hope to keep going there laugh
    #mentallypudding The artist formerly known as alklein92201
    Posted on 01 March 20 at 19:35Permalink
    Haha, it should be encouraging: that means it gets better after. I adore 4x01 and 4x02 and consider both of them top-tier episodes myself. 3 and 4 are kind of mediocre but then past that it's all golden: 4x05 is widely considered one of the better episodes in the series, 4x06 and 4x07 have some ultra-memorable sequences, and then of course it finishes strong as it always does with a very entertaining 4x08 and 4x09 capped off by an all-time series high in 4x10 that brings basically all of season four full circle. Better stuff is on the horizon, is the idea!
  • ShinnizleShinnizle841,116
    Posted on 02 March 20 at 06:00Permalink
    Stuck in the second season and just don't have the willpower to go back to it. It is not particularly entertaining to me, so I'll probably just drop it. I think I've seen enough of Saul Goodman now.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
    Posted on 02 March 20 at 16:33Permalink
    How far into S2 did you get?
  • ShinnizleShinnizle841,116
    Posted on 02 March 20 at 17:14Permalink
    It's been a while now, probably close to a year, but I think I was about to watch Episode 4 or just got done watching it when I stopped and never picked it up again.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
    Posted on 08 March 20 at 03:16Permalink
    Shinnizle said:
    It's been a while now, probably close to a year, but I think I was about to watch Episode 4 or just got done watching it when I stopped and never picked it up again.
    Got it. I'd recommend seeing S2 through to completion -- the plot picks up around the end, and 2x09 and 2x10 are both top-tier episodes, and in general, season two is my favorite season -- but it's also fair to say that to some degree the essence of the show is in place by 2x04, so if you're not feeling it then, you might not overall.

This week's episode was phenomenal, would love to hear any opinions on it.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.