Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Weekend debate: The quiet confidence of Team Xbox will pay off in the next generation

• kintariskintaris334,704
  • Clever JakeClever Jake721,735
    Posted on 29 February 20 at 14:04
    Hi all,

We wanted to take a moment to remind everyone about our Forum Policy. Please take a moment to review it.

We want to encourage a healthy discussion that includes a wide array of opinions. If you can communicate your opinion in a civil manner that complies with our updated policy, we will never moderate those posts.

If your post is deleted, this is the result of violating our forum policy. Your post was not communicated in a civil fashion. It has no bearing on the opinion you are trying to convey.

Thanks for understanding.
  • coipcoip291,973
    Posted on 29 February 20 at 14:14, Edited on 29 February 20 at 14:15 by coip
    I preferred the Xbox One vision--an all-in-one entertainment center with videogames, live TV, apps, never changing HDMI inputs, multitasking with Snap mode, and controlling it all with Kinect voice and gesture navigation. That was exciting and futuristic to me. A new console that is just myopically focused on videogames seems like a step back, and not very bold.
  • AhayzoAhayzo1,501,642
    Posted on 29 February 20 at 14:15
    coip said:
    I preferred the Xbox One vision--an all-in-one entertainment center with videogames, live TV, and apps never changing HDMI inputs, multitasking with Snap mode, and controlling it all with Kinect voice and gesture navigation. That was exciting and futuristic to me. A nee console that is just myopically focused on videogames seems like a step back, and not very bold.
    It does seem that way, but at the same time, the vision of being an all in one home media device just wasn't what people wanted, so it makes sense to step back from that.
    #mentallypudding The artist formerly known as alklein92201
  • HealttiHealtti3,682,445
    Posted on 29 February 20 at 14:26
    coip said:
    A new console (...) focused on videogames seems like a step back, and not very bold.
    Yeah...
    Don Mattrick was a bold man.

I wonder what became of him.
    "We aren't planning on doing anything about it." - Bethesda Support North America
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 29 February 20 at 14:38
    I love the Xbox brand, the platform, the games, the achievements, the controllers... I held a PS4 controller recently, and man is that thing uncomfortable. Triggers which aren't triggers, a touch pad which is just used like an extra button, small sticks with no weight or spring to them.

I owned a PS1 and a PS2, and even going to the OG Xbox I preferred the S controller straight away, with it's triggers and asymmetrical design (the less said about the GameCube pad the better).

I really like Phil, he's down to earth and relatable and straight forward, and he doesn't seem like a bullshitter. Don Mattrick is a prick, in my opinion, and was all about the money (see what he did at Zynga?). He felt like a corporation trying to squeeze you.

I don't want a TV box, a DVD recorder, a music centre. I want a fucking good console. And the Xbox delivered that originally, then with the 360, and then with the 1S + 1X. It took a while to turn the tide, but I love my X. I really do.

So yeah, I feel that the only thing holding Xbox back as a platform is the Asian market. Something so utterly American (I'm from the UK) will just never fly there, especially Japan. But if we can do just enough to get a few Japanese developers to keep making Xbox games, that'll be enough for the wider audience.

I believe in Xbox - Just deliver amazing games on amazing hardware without any motion or VR gimmicks and I'll be happy.
    "I gotta be honest, entering a bunch of 25 character codes to have gear spit out of the magic box kinda sucks" - Rista B
  • Posted on 29 February 20 at 14:38
    Is it too late to change the name? XBX1X72 There I did it for free.
    https://mixer.com/StreamFamily
  • EveryBaseEveryBase463,443
    Posted on 29 February 20 at 14:41, Edited on 29 February 20 at 14:42 by EveryBase
    I think Spencer is fantastic. He is a gamer and it shows with how things have been going. My big thing has always been compatiability and ever since he has taken over things are slowly getting there. To be able to play my library of games anywhere i want on what I want will be amazing someday. So far the most amazing console I own is the Wii. Not because it was good but once modded I can play anything back to Atari days on it. Thats what I want for future Xbox and that what it looks like were getting. Hardware and graphics are cool but I more just wanted to game more often and being able to play anywhere will get me just that.

The future looks good
  • Posted on 29 February 20 at 14:49
    First glance by normal gamers at any xbox presentation is

WTF does this OLD really OLD guy know what and how I want to play. Other than hiring celebrity (Keanu etc) to present the message there is no other way than Phils feeds on xbox official channels. So I don't think he is playing a long game he doesn't have options

Microsoft needs to hire a charismatic relatable spokesperson to be the face
  • JohnnyRiverJohnnyRiver1,606,116
    Posted on 29 February 20 at 15:00
    I am definitely excited for the future of Xbox (and it's reaaally hard to describe how much I am excited about it; like, I almost crying out of joy every time I see some positive news or announcements) but, to be honest, my personal "everyday hype" mostly comes from one thing - Xbox Game Pass.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely happy for all other huge changes and news surrounding the brand, like studio acquisitions and amount of new unique/high-quality games we gonna get from those studios, or specs of Xbox Series X and the generational leap that awaits us, or even deals they making to bring huge Japanese titles to Xbox (like, playing Yakuza on Xbox-console is such a surreal experience...) - it's all pretty cool and shows glimpses of bright near future buuut... those are definitely just an extra-reasons of why I'm all in on Xbox right now.
    Game Pass, on the other hand, is something that I dreamt of from the childhood and this subscription system gave me even more. To get and continue getting so many games you can't even physically find time to play through them, new additions/surprises to try every week, aaand ability to get all of new Xbox-titles on a day of release + a bunch of other games too? And the price for that dream of mine is that small?!
    Idk, for me it's like a miracle I can't still believe exists.

So, yeah, in the end, it's definitely an excitement to make a move to next and better generation... but to also get all day one releases like Halo: Infinite and other games of 2020-2021 without spending extra money on them cause you are already a part of a great subscription system?
    Now that's an excitement I'll take🙌
    ( •)____(• )
  • AeriBouSAeriBouS739,533
    Posted on 29 February 20 at 15:02
    I've said this before and you can call me a fanboy but I'm old enough to remember Japan ruling gaming. It wasn't pretty if you live in the states or the eu. Games came out a year or two later if at all. Consoles with better hardware were jp only. I knew people who learned Japanese just to play games. So F Japan and PlayStation! F I would say F Nintendo too but I grew up with Zelda and Mario so I hypocritically own a switch. My main will always be Xbox and American gaming.
    I wrote here once on accident and this is what I wrote to never see the original post again.
  • JohnnyRiverJohnnyRiver1,606,116
    Posted on 29 February 20 at 15:04
    freedomgirl85 said:
    a charismatic relatable spokesperson
    You mean someone like Phil Spencer?
    ( •)____(• )
  • SeitzzSeitzz1,098,296
    Posted on 29 February 20 at 15:05
    I sure hope it's the case
  • Posted on 29 February 20 at 15:11
    *pulls up a chair and grabs some popcorn* this should be fun.

I've always liked Xbox from its games. To services like gamepass. Its will be a intresting time next generation.
    Gamer for life Fan of games not plastic boxs
  • buttmudBrooksbuttmudBrooks1,449,495
    Posted on 29 February 20 at 15:17, Edited on 29 February 20 at 15:34 by buttmudBrooks
    Edit: looking forward to new console. Will get before PS5, which I will later get as a surface to collect dust like my Pro.
    Always number 2.
  • Posted on 29 February 20 at 15:18, Edited on 29 February 20 at 15:22 by Stinky Big Buds
    I have no complaints about Phil or Xbox and I also think the future looks good for Xbox. Ms are ready to embrace the inevitable future while Sony only seem intent on getting in the way. Exclusives and an awfull X1 launch put Sony where they are, Sony are scared of the future because after exclusives which are starting to mean less and less, they have nothing.

Until recently (few months) I didn't know this guy was Phil Spencer, he was always my favourite Xbox guy though :P I thought Major Nelson was the face of Xbox, now there's a cheesy look.
  • hi3gie12hi3gie12542,044
    Posted on 29 February 20 at 15:23
    I love the Xbox brand, the platform, the games, the achievements, the controllers... I held a PS4 controller recently, and man is that thing uncomfortable. Triggers which aren't triggers, a touch pad which is just used like an extra button, small sticks with no weight or spring to them.

I owned a PS1 and a PS2, and even going to the OG Xbox I preferred the S controller straight away, with it's triggers and asymmetrical design (the less said about the GameCube pad the better).
    You'll love the EliteSeries2 controller
  • Posted on 29 February 20 at 15:32
    I also think the future for the Xbox "brand" itself is bright and looks good. But thats with PC and Xcloud, the console future won't. The XSX will be bought even lesser than the Xbox One... first cause everybody tells you he will play games on PC (since all Microsoft exclusives are there) and PS4 for exclusives, and second because of the high price (i expect a 650€ price). The only reason for me to buy one would be because of the achievements - there is simply no other reason.

So I think the series X will be the last 2 consoles for Microsoft. After that it's all PC and mobile.
  • BsmittelBsmittel1,314,506
    Posted on 29 February 20 at 15:37
    Just because you might be confused, you can still get achievements on the other devices you're touting
    simply not true anymore
  • Posted on 29 February 20 at 15:40
    Bsmittel said:
    Just because you might be confused, you can still get achievements on the other devices you're touting
    Sense?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.