Game Discussion: Microsoft Sudoku

Automated Solver

• PalesiusPalesius1,428,850
    Posted on 05 March 20 at 17:10, Edited on 05 March 20 at 19:18 by PalesiusPermalink
    So because I didn't feel like redoing hundreds more sudoku puzzles for the stack, I made a solver which will read, solve, and fill in the puzzle.

http://crestonweather.evpod.com:8000/ta/sudoku.zip

"MS Sudoko" is the porgram you want to actually run, Sudoku Solver is a tool it uses to actually solve the puzzle.

Since it is reading from and clicking on the screen, it needs to be a pixel perfect match, so this is my environment:
    Windows 10

Windows Display Settings
    Windows resolution 1920x1080
    Text Scaling 100% (Called "change the size of text, apps, and other items")

I am running the app within bluestacks
    bluestack settings are:
    Display: Landscape, 1280x720,240 DPI
    Engine: OpenGL,, "use advanced.." NOT checked, "prefer dedicated..." NOT checked

It is run in full screen mode
    In game, use the simple theme, make sure you don't have notes (manual or auto) displayed in the cells, and that you don't have any cells selected.

Other than that:
    1)Don't have the solver window covering the board
    2)Click Read, it will scan the board in and display it on the solver window
    3)Click Solve, it will solve the puzzle
    4)Click Fill, it will fill in the solution for you

There is also an "auto" button which will read, then solve, then fill in a single click
    Speed adjusts the delay between mouseclicks, YMMV but I wouldn't go any lower than 100 or you will probably start getting misclicks.
    Pro adjusts the board position to work if you have a pro subscription (w/o ads)

It should be able to read, solve, and fill any of the three daily challenge board types, and well as individual non challenge puzzles.

Anyway, LMK if you have any issues or things I missed and I will update this.
    Posted on 06 March 20 at 15:07Permalink
    One person who downloaded this said there virus software (avast) reported a false positive.

My best guess is that because it takes screen grabs to read the board and then moves the mouse around to fill in the board, that those are things that a malicious program could potentially use to do bad things.
  • Davvvide 3Davvvide 3334,200
    Posted on 13 March 20 at 20:27Permalink
    hello,
    is there any way to make the solver work on a different environment than yours?
    I'm using windows 7 with a 1366x768 resolution monitor
  • Dustmite72Dustmite72121,449
    Posted on 27 March 20 at 04:22Permalink
    I tried, but whenever the program read the puzzle, it would fill it in very wrong. Not sure what I did wrong, as I have all the same settings. Oh well. It was worth the effort, and I'm sure it'll help others.
    Road Rage was awful. Road Redemption is a good time. Check it out.
  • ZedpellinZedpellin215,237
    Posted on 01 April 20 at 11:23Permalink
    How to change the resolution for this program? I have a 1366x768 resolution monitor too.
  • I AM CULLYI AM CULLY1,128,204 1,128,204 GamerScore
    Posted on 03 April 20 at 06:34Permalink
    Thanks a lot for this. It's a really cool program. Can you let me know what "Device Profile" you are using? Mine says "OnePlus 3T", and I'm wondering if that's the same as yours.

The reason I ask is because the program works mostly well, but if there are 3 spots that don't pick up corrrectly. I'm not sure if it's the program, or the profile I'm using.

See this picture...

https://i.imgur.com/Dfc6zUZ.png

In each of the 3 red dots. If there is an 8, the program will pick up '3' instead of '8' and the solve will fail. This is the only time it fails that I can see.
  • JerzualJerzual423,881
    Posted on 04 April 20 at 08:57, Edited on 05 April 20 at 07:19 by JerzualPermalink
    Same settings for me, but whenever the program read the puzzle, it would fill it in very wrong.

EDIT : Read is OK in full screen mode (F11), and solve is ok with the default theme .

I had an error with the solve function, because the "SudokuSolver.exe" file was deleted by the windows antivirus. It's OK after deactivated the antivrus
  • el p1nkoel p1nko80,311
    Posted on 05 April 20 at 13:23, Edited on 05 April 20 at 13:24 by el p1nkoPermalink
    Thank you so much for providing this tool to us, it really helped me a lot!
    I also made a lenghty comment in your solution for the Legend achievement with some tips and tricks that might be helpful for others, and also some suggestions for additional things that could be done with the tool.

See here:
    Palesius Microsoft Sudoku (Mobile) Legend Palesius' solution for the Legend Achievement in Microsoft Sudoku (Mobile)Reached Level 250

It is really great that you made this tool and made it available for us, we cannot be grateful enough for this!
    Posted on 11 April 20 at 00:27Permalink
    Yeah, I saw, quite the comment.

Re: Auto repeat, not super practical unless you have premium (no ads). If you do, someone I know made a super simple script with a macro recorder, that basically clicks new board, waits a few seconds, clicks auto button on solver, waits a few seconds, and repeats.

Re: Ice breaker, it can't read the board during the animation, so I need to wait a few seconds for it to finish before i re-read the board. There wasn't enough of a difference in the color on the ice blocks that i could feel confident it would detect correctly. Maybe there is some way, but it felt like it was "good enough", since this isn't one of the main game modes, only in the daily challenges.
  • Posted on 14 April 20 at 07:57Permalink
    Has anyone with Norton Security downloaded this file? I turned off every option there but it still didn't help.
  • TreviosoTrevioso232,228
    Posted on 02 May 20 at 00:43Permalink
    Does auto go back to the home screen to start a new game? It doesn't sound like it. Should I just build a macro with blue stacks to hop between the two tools?
  • Posted on 08 May 20 at 10:23Permalink
    Does this work on a Mac?
  • KinectKid333KinectKid333635,288
    Posted on 25 May 20 at 02:10, Edited on 25 May 20 at 04:28 by KinectKid333Permalink
    Mick Wazowski said:
    Has anyone with Norton Security downloaded this file? I turned off every option there but it still didn't help.
    Same here, I downloaded Bluestacks and Microsoft Sudoku and everything, then I went to download the file only to find that my router security won't let me even visit the website no matter what I do. Is there any way you could upload the file to a different website (GitHub, OneDrive, or Dropbox, perhaps?)

Edit: I was able to download the file on my phone off of my cellular data, then transfer the file to my computer.

Edit 2: Like Dustmite72 , the solver reads the board very wrongly despite all my settings being the same. Fiddled with it for about 20 minutes checking and re-checking everything, but couldn't get it in the end. Oh well, thanks for putting it out here anyway. I'm sure it will help quite a few people with this terrible grind haha
    Theory and practice are the same in theory, but not in practice.
  • Posted on 31 May 20 at 13:52Permalink
    Thanks for the tip for downloading the file to my phone first KinectKid, that worked :)

After I found out how to change the theme to Simple, the solver works for me smoothly. Thank you!
  • icytower38icytower38236,867
    Posted on 01 June 20 at 15:50Permalink
    Got the program to work after rereading some suggestions. The thing stopping me is that it will not sign me in to Xbox live...

Thank you for creating this
  • CelloCello232,660
    Posted on 15 June 20 at 11:46, Edited on 15 June 20 at 11:47 by CelloPermalink
    the program is blocked because of a Trojan (Win32/Wacatac.C!ml) in the SudokuSolver.exe
  • Posted on 20 June 20 at 23:40Permalink
    Would there be anyway to have different configurations of your program so other resolutions can use it? The highest I can get on my laptop is 1600 x 900. I tried to see if there was a way to edit your .pdb file but not sure what program would be capable to.
  • Posted on 21 June 20 at 04:12Permalink
    For somebody that has no idea what bluestacks is (and is still using Win 8.1) can you explain how to set this up? Am I plugging my phone into my pc to get the zip file to read the screen, or using my camera to see my phone?
  • Posted on 22 June 20 at 15:36Permalink
    Can you use this on your phone
  • KeyRecord1KeyRecord1163,263
    Posted on 25 June 20 at 08:20Permalink
    Now the Win10 version has come, can you make a solver for Win10? Or how can I adjust my game window for this solver to work on Win10 version?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.