Walkthroughs

Forum for discussing game walkthroughs

Ori and the Will of the Wisps Walkthrough Discussion

• LifeExpectancyLifeExpectancy1,358,040
    Posted on 21 March 20 at 01:53Permalink
    Submitted, hope it helps folks!I made the decision NOT to include step by step directions for all the spirit light orbs as it would make following the story walkthrough excessively cumbersome. Normally I would include them, but the Hand to Hand quest reveals ALL collectibles on the map. I have a video that has all collectibles except the spirir light orbs and am in the process of making one of JUST the spirit light orbs area-by-area so that anyone struggling to find one in a specific area can look it up in the video.

The rest of the collectiblea are given step by step directions for the most part, although during a few mop-up sections between main quest areas I do just instruct you to a collectibles video timestamp to follow along. I have done this in attempt to make the walkthrough a good balance of thoroughness as well as ease of reading/following. A video is worth ten thousand words smile.

Feedback is greatly appreciated!
  • Posted on 21 March 20 at 08:00Permalink
    Thank you so much, I'm about to start
  • RadicalSniper99RadicalSniper991,251,369
    Posted on 21 March 20 at 18:50Permalink
    We wanted to get this one out to the community as soon as possible. Life has expressed his intent to add some additional maps to the WT in the future. We also might look to touch up some text. Thank you again LE for putting forth the effort to get this one up in such a short time period.
    Posted on 21 March 20 at 21:05Permalink
    Thanks mate toast
  • Posted on 23 March 20 at 11:10, Edited on 23 March 20 at 11:19 by zDrUnKeNMoNkEyzPermalink
    I was under the impression the end game achievements are still broken, is this not the case anymore? If they are, shouldn’t you put a disclaimer of some sort? I don’t see one, and the walkthrough is written with the impression that one will attain 100% once done, which this is not the case. Whether or not a future patch will simply fix them and one can pick up from their end game save and attain them remains to be seen. Some may have to re run their entire playthroughs, it’s anyone’s guess. I imagine that could be kind of a big deal to some or at least information some might want upfront before they start it, right?
    Matthew
    Posted on 24 March 20 at 23:35Permalink
    Yeah I meant to put a disclaimer on the overview page. I'll add that now. The WT was done and published just to get it out there, because people can just keep their saves before the last boss to pop everything after a patch.

I am currently under the impression that collectibles stuff will pop retroactively after a patch fixing tracking issues. Hopefully that is the case.
    Posted on 24 March 20 at 23:41Permalink
    I have added a warning on the walkthrough overview page. Hopefully it gets seen by most folks starting this .
  • Posted on 25 March 20 at 03:16, Edited on 25 March 20 at 03:17 by zDrUnKeNMoNkEyzPermalink
    LifeExpectancy said:
    I have added a warning on the walkthrough overview page. Hopefully it gets seen by most folks starting this .
    Looks good brotha. toast
    Matthew
  • vSullyvSully851,986
    Posted on 28 March 20 at 14:09, Edited on 28 March 20 at 14:13 by vSullyPermalink
    I appreciate the effort you put into this WT and I hate to complain, but here are things I would I think would make it infinitely better.

The Story Walkthrough is just an absurd wall of text. The game is long enough that the basic walkthrogh should be over multiple pages to make it easier to keep track of your location withing the guide. There should be regular embedded images of the world map if nothing more than to break up text monotony but also to clarify where you are, what you're immediately working in, and where you're ending up.

In following the guide, I'd constantly find myself a little confused with your written instruction and spend time working out exactly what you were talking about and wishing you had included an image to make it easier. And when I finally looked back to the WT for the next instruction, i see something like this and have to work through a dump of text to find my place in the nondescript mass of paragraphs just to repeat this process.

At so many points I wish I could see an image for reference so I wasn't scrambling to figure out what you were doing or referring to. The WT is written from the perspective of someone with full game knowledge and as someone who never played before, I was often struggling to not be lost or confused.

Your only references are to a 40+ minute video with no timestaps for all the things within. Yes, you always link to a timestamp but often that leads to a point near several things you refer to so it takes forever to find the one thing I need help with.

This is a pretty massive game world with so much stuff that not including a lot of reference images makes following the guide almost more trouble than just figuring things out on your own.

I guess maybe I went a little overboard in my Hollow Knight walkthrough to ensure that there was no misunderstanding at any point for any person who used the guide, but these games are similar and I guess I hoped this WT would be as clear and easy to use.
  • Posted on 29 March 20 at 22:19Permalink
    Which achievements are missable?
  • vSullyvSully851,986
    Posted on 29 March 20 at 22:23, Edited on 29 March 20 at 22:23 by vSullyPermalink
    Ori and the Will of the WispsHigh and DryThe High and Dry achievement in Ori and the Will of the Wisps worth 75 pointsAvoid Touching any Corrupted Water

This one requires that you never fall into the harmful purple water in Act 1.

Ori and the Will of the WispsSecret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in Ori and the Will of the Wisps worth 224 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement

Beating a specific boss without taking any damage.

Ori and the Will of the WispsSecret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in Ori and the Will of the Wisps worth 33 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement

You'd really have to try to take longer than 2 mins for this guy.

I'm not sure that any others can't be cleaned up at the end. Other than that you've got specific things like Hard mode, a no death run, a speedrun, a run without using shards, and a run without spending spirit light.
    Posted on 01 April 20 at 00:28Permalink
    I'll consider that. The problem is the collectibles to which I am referring wont necessarily be on the map unless I do another run and reveal them without collecting, then screenshot it.

I have tried to do less wall-of-text WTs in the past but have been told those dont meet TA's standards. So what I wrote here is literally a transcription of every step I takr in the 6-hour 100% completion video on Hard mode.

The time stamps I have imbedded for the collectibles video take you to the exact spot I am in the game, and I show my map for each and every collectible so you can see where Ori is located on the game map for reference on where I am vs where the collectible is.

I know some.users prefer text while others prefer video guides so I did both. I'm not sure how it could have been more thorough without being even more confusing and wall of textish.

I dont see how separating the story WT into multiple pages helps. I assume people using the text just scroll as they go through the game following along, with the YT video perhaps open in a separate tab. That's always how I personally follow WTs when I have zero previous knowledge of the game.

I'll see what I can do to make it easier to follow... honestly dont know how though as I thought my written extructions were very detailed.
    Posted on 01 April 20 at 00:33Permalink
    I should say that timestamps for the videos are something I have intended to add on their youtube pages as a pinned comment. But I had to return to work at the hospital sunday and time has been much more limited since then.
    Posted on 01 April 20 at 03:08, Edited on 02 April 20 at 00:20 by LifeExpectancyPermalink
    I pinned a comment on the collectibles video with timestamps for each one as they are numbered in the walkthrough. I noted what area each is located in parenthesis beside it as well (Wellspring, Inkwater Marsh, etc). Hopefully that's a good start.
  • Posted on 02 April 20 at 00:01Permalink
    vSully said:
    Ori and the Will of the WispsHigh and DryThe High and Dry achievement in Ori and the Will of the Wisps worth 75 pointsAvoid Touching any Corrupted Water

This one requires that you never fall into the harmful purple water in Act 1.

Ori and the Will of the WispsSecret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in Ori and the Will of the Wisps worth 224 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement

Beating a specific boss without taking any damage.

Ori and the Will of the WispsSecret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in Ori and the Will of the Wisps worth 33 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement

You'd really have to try to take longer than 2 mins for this guy.

I'm not sure that any others can't be cleaned up at the end. Other than that you've got specific things like Hard mode, a no death run, a speedrun, a run without using shards, and a run without spending spirit light.
    Thank you. Now I can start my blind play through. Just needed to know which ones couldn’t be cleaned up in the same run. Hopefully that’s it.
    Posted on 02 April 20 at 00:21Permalink
    Yes those are the only ones that are missable, but it takes 2 playthroughs to 1k the game so you'll have a 2nd chance if you do miss one.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.