Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Ori and the Will of the Wisps review: Ori's world is changing

• Posted on 10 March 20 at 16:38, Edited on 10 March 20 at 16:40 by SonOfStayPuft82Permalink
    Thanks for the review. I’m going in open minded but this was well written and has me excited too for it as the first is a masterpiece in gaming.

This sounds bigger, better and even more beautiful, but still keeps its identity & doesn’t lose what made people including myself fall in love with the first game.

I’m having a hard time in life emotionally at the moment, so this will definitely help me, even if it is sad. It’s like the videogame equivalent of a hug.

Bring on tomorrow!
  • LifeExpectancyLifeExpectancy1,374,504
    Posted on 10 March 20 at 16:46Permalink
    It's an incredible experience. Despite spending over 40 hours on the game since Friday, I am having fun replaying it at the moment for the purpose of nailing down efficient routes and recording them for the walkthrough. I'm hoping to have the 'rough' version of the WT published within a week or so to have it available to folks, then continue tweaking and polishing it. I'm sorry to hear you're having hard times IRL, but you'll definitely get that hug feeling from Ori (even if it makes you cry, I did).
  • xLsWxxLsWx903,089
    Posted on 10 March 20 at 16:46Permalink
    I'm interested in to how it lost .5?
  • KJer25KJer25643,520
    Posted on 10 March 20 at 16:58Permalink
    I’m saving this masterpiece for Summer, but I already know it’s my 2020 GotY.
  • I Argonaut II Argonaut I487,606
    Posted on 10 March 20 at 17:06Permalink
    Good to hear is is satisfying people... I am excited to start it.
  • SeitzzSeitzz858,908
    Posted on 10 March 20 at 17:56Permalink
    Good to hear people are enjoying it.
  • FiveWizzFiveWizz346,558
    Posted on 10 March 20 at 17:59Permalink
    Buzzin for Moon Studios and chuffed for Microsoft. We knew this would be good but it's great to get the start of the Xbox exclusives we deserve.
  • EdweirddEdweirdd419,944
    Posted on 10 March 20 at 19:04Permalink
    Good review. It's nice seeing one since the last game review back in like November!
  • Posted on 10 March 20 at 19:28Permalink
    Excited to start this tonight! Very well written review, its been awhile. Much appreciated!toast
    Matthew
  • Ksar96Ksar96239,980
    Posted on 10 March 20 at 20:10Permalink
    Nice review.. buying this game even though it is available in gamepass because its worth and it deserves..
    excellent game..
  • MugenKairoMugenKairo254,029
    Posted on 10 March 20 at 20:54, Edited on 10 March 20 at 20:55 by MugenKairoPermalink
    The review would not have changed my opinion on buying this or not, but it’s good to see that nice 4.5/5 at the end. I skipped because I don’t want to spoil anything.

This is my definitive GOTY, or at least my most anticipated. I’ll stack this by playing PC first then Xbox.
    "We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan
  • FinalKaosFinalKaos1,485,138
    Posted on 10 March 20 at 21:10Permalink
    complete the game without dying achievements. angry
  • I Argonaut II Argonaut I487,606
    Posted on 10 March 20 at 21:27, Edited on 10 March 20 at 21:27 by I Argonaut IPermalink
    FinalKaos said:
    complete the game without dying achievements. angry
    They make it so easy though... Just save every 10-15 min an each time you do, just copy the save file to one of the other slots. Any time you die, you just have to replay the last few min. It sounds much harder than it is... especially because you will likely have played through and learned all about the game before you attempt that run.
  • Karachi KingKarachi King1,296,277
    Posted on 11 March 20 at 00:03Permalink
    I encountered a decent amount of slowdown in the very first area. It won't stop me from playing the game, but it's not exactly putting your best foot forward.

I Argonaut I said:
    They make it so easy though... Just save every 10-15 min an each time you do, just copy the save file to one of the other slots.
    Manual saves are out. Now it just autosaves (not sure exactly what triggers them). I already died on the first "boss". laugh
    I feel there's little instruction at the start, so maybe there's a dodge move or something that I don't know about.
  • Posted on 11 March 20 at 01:24Permalink
    Karachi King said:
    I encountered a decent amount of slowdown in the very first area.
    I'd be interested to know when you played it. I switched regions yesterday to play it a little early so I could not miss my Destiny 2 fix in the evening... and like you I found some rare frame rate issues, and a very annoying delay when opening the map screen. I played for roughly 90 minutes or so.

Since playing I noticed there was quite a substantial update of around 5GB so wondering if this was the day one update I read about and if those problems would have been fixed. They weren't big issues at the time but I can imagine if there was anything more hectic going on late game, then it could be problematic.

From what I played through it's looking to be everything the first one was and more.
  • Karachi KingKarachi King1,296,277
    Posted on 11 March 20 at 04:25Permalink
    geordiedeviant said:
    I'd be interested to know when you played it. I switched regions yesterday to play it a little early so I could not miss my Destiny 2 fix in the evening... and like you I found some rare frame rate issues, and a very annoying delay when opening the map screen. I played for roughly 90 minutes or so.

Since playing I noticed there was quite a substantial update of around 5GB so wondering if this was the day one update I read about and if those problems would have been fixed. They weren't big issues at the time but I can imagine if there was anything more hectic going on late game, then it could be problematic.

From what I played through it's looking to be everything the first one was and more.
    I'm in Australia (GMT+10), and I was playing it a bit after midnight when it unlocked.
    And yeah it had me mainly concerned for later in the game, considering basically nothing was happening. Actually once I left the starting area, it seemed fine, so if you never return there, maybe they didn't spend much time optimising it?

I noticed that significant patch this morning (basically the whole game again?). Maybe it made it in time for the US release?
  • EarthboundXEarthboundX1,291,355
    Posted on 11 March 20 at 07:37, Edited on 11 March 20 at 07:39 by EarthboundXPermalink
    Karachi King said:
    I encountered a decent amount of slowdown in the very first area. It won't stop me from playing the game, but it's not exactly putting your best foot forward.

I Argonaut I said:
    They make it so easy though... Just save every 10-15 min an each time you do, just copy the save file to one of the other slots.
    Manual saves are out. Now it just autosaves (not sure exactly what triggers them). I already died on the first "boss". laugh
    I feel there's little instruction at the start, so maybe there's a dodge move or something that I don't know about.
    That still leaves the play offline and keep a save backed up in the cloud option though doesn't it?
  • ZalexzyZalexzy1,466,592
    Posted on 11 March 20 at 09:44, Edited on 11 March 20 at 09:45 by ZalexzyPermalink
    MugenKairo said:
    I’ll stack this by playing PC first then Xbox.
    Good luck with that, as this is play anywhere.
    Any problem solved is a new problem made.
  • Posted on 11 March 20 at 10:19Permalink
    Karachi King said:
    geordiedeviant said:

I'm in Australia (GMT+10), and I was playing it a bit after midnight when it unlocked.
    And yeah it had me mainly concerned for later in the game, considering basically nothing was happening. Actually once I left the starting area, it seemed fine, so if you never return there, maybe they didn't spend much time optimising it?

I noticed that significant patch this morning (basically the whole game again?). Maybe it made it in time for the US release?
    U.S. here, massive performance issues. Im on a One X if that matters. I absolutely hate saying this, but they need to get a patch out (another one?)asap! It became increasingly frustrating the more i played, jumping from place to place in slow motion essentially. And the map..my god. For a game where you need to constantly check in on your map, it is incredibly unresponsive and slow, takes 1 to many seconds to pop in and out of it. I should be able to quickly pop it up on screen and quickly continue playing, however its as if im completely pausing the game and selecting map then loading up said map screen etc. Between the increasingly bad performance issues (frame rate drop?) And the map situation i did not have the best of times with my first experience with it sadly. I can only hope they get this fixed asap, god knows theyve had more than enough time to work on it. I can see and hear the beauty this game has to offer, now if i can just enjoy that.. ill be extremely happy. Heres hoping!toast
    Matthew
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.