The Original Off Topic Board

Chat about anything you like!

2019–20 coronavirus pandemic and work

• lightsup55lightsup55247,147
    Posted on 13 March 20 at 02:19Permalink
    So... where do I start?

If you haven't been living under a rock lately, I'm pretty sure you've heard of the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic.

In the United States, we've seen various video game-related events canceled, sporting events to happen without the fans, public gatherings of x amount of people banned, and even travel restrictions outside the United States.

In addition to that, various federal, state, and local governments close or require employees to work from home.

Here is the latest news from my job (in Maryland):
    Governor Larry Hogan and State Superintendent Dr. Karen Salmon announced today, March 12, that all Maryland public schools must close in response to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic. In light of this announcement, all BCPS [Baltimore County Public Schools] schools will be closed from Monday, March 16, through Friday, March 27.
    All field trips and athletic events are canceled starting Friday, March 13, until further notice.
    Additional information will be provided to the community shortly. Please visit our Coronavirus webpage or www.bcps.org to stay up-to-date on the latest information.
    My job is with the safe transport of students to and from school. If the kids don't go to school, I don't report to work.

The biggest question on everyone's mind is...
    - How will this affect my pay for the month of March? I have bills to pay just like everyone else.

I'm a little frustrated and concerned.
  • Posted on 13 March 20 at 02:31, Edited on 13 March 20 at 02:32 by spankyNspronklePermalink
    There is no one-size-fits-all answer for every company... best you can really do is ask your company what their intentions are during this time frame.

Some companies are paying staff while closed and some aren’t... really no way of knowing in advanced without inquiring.

Hope you get some good news as I can image the stress you’re starting to feel.
  • SighrisSighris1,605,019
    Posted on 13 March 20 at 02:37Permalink
    My work offering 2 weeks 100% pay
    Moo
  • Posted on 13 March 20 at 03:43Permalink
    I was just informed tonight I have to report to work tomorrow, and than we all take the next 3 weeks off. Won't effect my pay, because I make a set amount a year....but I will have to make up the hours later (I'll lose days off I had later)
    Hola
  • Rossco7530Rossco75301,351,564
    Posted on 13 March 20 at 10:52Permalink
    My employer is still "in discussion" with my union, which pretty much means neither of them have any idea of what to do. A common problem, I think.

HUGE fail for governments and health organisations around the world. If there is a genuine plague 2.0 we're all done for. shock
  • lightsup55lightsup55247,147
    Posted on 13 March 20 at 21:53Permalink
    UPDATE: My employer has emailed me with a list of all unions, classification, who needs to report, and how we get paid.

I'm with AFSCME (American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees) as a 10-month transportation employee. They said this in regards to the current situation with closed schools and offices:
    Do not report. Paid for the day, no leave charged.
    So I do not need to report and I will get paid. This will not affect any sick leave.

I should've also noted that I only just got full time as of 20 February 2020.

The only thing I don't know is how this will affect our spring break (6 April 2020 - 10 April 2020 + 13 April 2020). Only time will tell.

I guess now I'll start on some spring cleaning. My room is a mess.
  • Posted on 14 March 20 at 02:41Permalink
    My Uni got switched over to virtual classes after spring break and thankfully my job shifted to telecommuting! A little spooked about how sudden all of this is happening but at least now I get a little extra time to work on my backlog hahaheadspin
  • Posted on 14 March 20 at 04:07Permalink
    ThreeHaddock62 said:
    I was just informed tonight I have to report to work tomorrow, and than we all take the next 3 weeks off. Won't effect my pay, because I make a set amount a year....but I will have to make up the hours later (I'll lose days off I had later)
    We were informed today that we would NOT have to make up our time missed :) Whoo. of course, that could change if we miss more.....
    Hola
  • Posted on 15 March 20 at 12:08Permalink
    time perfect for grind %
  • QuickdontdieQuickdontdie500,462
    Posted on 20 March 20 at 18:19Permalink
    I work at McDonalds. Right now people can't eat-in, but nobody is coming inside anyway. Sometimes people come in the drive-thru, but its mostly completely dead.
    Hoping it closes down soon
  • Posted on 01 April 20 at 22:37Permalink
    so far it doesn't seem "real" I don't know anyone where I live that has it or any extended friends that have it

only 118 presumed positive cases in my county with two deaths of people over 70 (very sad)

Very lucky here I guess

My family is a local first family so I feel for those local business that will probably never return
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.