Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Xbox needs their own version of an Animal Crossing-style exclusive

• The Wet ChefThe Wet Chef479,807
    Posted on 28 March 20 at 17:05
    I wold like that to.
    Especially with xCloud on the horizon.
    Yes it will be awsom to play Forza, Hallo etc on my phone, but the screan is just to small for that.
    But with a non intense game, i can definitely se myself play that on my phone.
    There is NO stupid questions. Only stupid answers!
  • SeitzzSeitzz1,097,812
    Posted on 28 March 20 at 17:07
    Really looking forward to Everwild. Loved the look of it during X019 and it has shades of Princess Mononoke to me.
  • GXGX390,965 390,965 GamerScore
    Posted on 28 March 20 at 17:15
    Animal crossing is the lamest most pointless budget ass game ever though
  • Corrupt XBACorrupt XBA3,300,465
    Posted on 28 March 20 at 17:20
    Yeah, no thanks
  • Viridisx13Viridisx131,273,587
    Posted on 28 March 20 at 17:22
    I’d take a stand alone version of the chao garden from sonic adventure 👍🏻
  • MetalNuckMetalNuck704,340
    Posted on 28 March 20 at 17:32
    Outside of Nintendo, family friendly exclusives haven't really worked. The only one I can think of that really gained traction was Little Big Planet. Viva Pinata was a very niche title, along with something like Knack.

Nintendo has always been seen as the family fun type console which is why games like Animal Crossing are popular and work. People aren't buying a Nintendo console for Call of Duty, GTA etc. That market is Xbox and Playstation.

While I don't care what sort of games get released on the Xbox(the more the better) I think Xbox needs to focus on a more mature type of exclusive, something to get gamer's excited.
  • Maxumilli0nMaxumilli0n1,917,202
    Posted on 28 March 20 at 17:35
    No, no more little kiddie games.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead708,855
    Posted on 28 March 20 at 17:35, Edited on 28 March 20 at 17:51 by HolyHalfDead
    Yes, I’m sure Microsoft could get Rare to churn out a few Xbox exclusive sequels, such as Viva Pinata 2 or another Banjo game.

My youngest plays Minecraft, Roblox, Sims, Marooners, 2 Point Hospital, Overcooked, and various LEGO games (in that order of most time spent).
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • alphurralphurr348,644
    Posted on 28 March 20 at 17:42
    if you don't want it, don't play it. video games are more than just "me shoot", and games like animal crossing often serve as a gateway for less experienced players (kids, partners, people who didn't grow up with a console) to get into gaming with something simple and fun. personally, I'll always be down for more cute leisurely games :)
  • TredfghyuTredfghyu11,426
    Posted on 28 March 20 at 17:45
    Don’t listen to the wanna be tough guys Microsoft. I use to think I was a tough guy too until I played animal crossing for the first time. But nah i don’t think a type of game like animal crossing would fit well with Xbox. Nintendo does it best.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 28 March 20 at 17:48, Edited on 28 March 20 at 17:51 by
    I would rather see a third party (AAA or indie) take on “Animal Crossing” MMO, cross-play and all.

I’m not gonna say that console exclusives are the worst thing ever, but they not that great: let people play what thew want where they want. Personally, I’m gonna buy Series X (or S) not because of them, but because of Game Pass and an overall superb approach to accessibility (peripherals* and software).

Now, excuse me, I’m going to plant some trees and catch some fish on my island.

* – I’m using Elite Controller on my Switch :)
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 28 March 20 at 17:52
    I really hope that’s what Rare’s next game is.
  • mr wamr wa326,717
    Posted on 28 March 20 at 17:53
    There's definitely an audience for a game like that. It's not for me, but a wider portfolio of games can't hurt!
  • kugelblitz22kugelblitz22653,865
    Posted on 28 March 20 at 17:54
    Viridisx13 said:
    I’d take a stand alone version of the chao garden from sonic adventure 👍🏻
    That would be Awesome
  • White WyvernWhite Wyvern540,085
    Posted on 28 March 20 at 17:57
    Can't even get a switch right now anyway since everyone's reselling them for over £400 on ebay.
    Beep Boop
  • Spartan 343xSpartan 343x339,818 339,818 GamerScore
    Posted on 28 March 20 at 18:05
    I'd take a new a Splinter Cell any day
  • JohnnyRiverJohnnyRiver1,606,739
    Posted on 28 March 20 at 18:13, Edited on 28 March 20 at 18:21 by JohnnyRiver
    To be honest, I think "Sea of Thieves"'s problem is not about accessibility or complexity but actually about aggressive environments and, as they calling it, "living and breathing world" aka. interactions with other players.

Just by writing that stuff above got me thinking about how cool it would be to go sailing and fishing in SoT right now... but afterwards comes idea of having your fish stolen and your ship burnt.
    Eh... Yep, not cool.
    Like, when they released story campaign, me and my friend got soooo excited and so willing to spend all of our free time together in exploring cool lore and fishing between missions.
    Right. Unfortunately, 3 days in a row we were harassed by some random players and had to restart some missions over and over again (I believe cause of our story items were stolen... sheeesh), so in the end - my friend rage quited and never came back.
    Also, his job is nervous enough and taking a lot of his time to begin with, so wasting our and his little amount of free time somewhere, where we were in a constant loop of gaining and losing progression - that was too much for both of us.

And I believe, there are still no "passive mode" or private servers, right?

•••

So, yeah, Sea of Thieves would've been a great "Animal Crossing"-type game if there weren't chances to meet players, who's ways of having fun are including ruining my fun.
    ( •)____(• )
  • Posted on 28 March 20 at 18:20
    There is no exclusives on Xbox anymore. It is all about inclusivity and openness.
  • SPOONYxBARDSPOONYxBARD1,260,484
    Posted on 28 March 20 at 18:20
    Does anyone remember Ooblets? It looked like it could have been a relaxing game.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.