Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Xbox Game Studios needs to sort out achievements going forwards

• Posted on 04 April 20 at 16:05
    I get that this is an achievement hunting website, but I think its a pretty good place to be if the biggest issues with your game is "the achievement didnt unlock."

Its not "the gameplay is terrible." or "its deleted my save" or "its not fun to play". If something as secondary (and achievements are secondary to a game. They aren't core to it, because there are plenty of games out there without them) as achievements are what your getting bad press for, I guess there are worst places to be,
    www.twitter.com/Mike_Langlois
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 04 April 20 at 16:06
    I am still waiting for a gears 4 achievement fix for my story related achievements...hopefully with their flaming weapons patch.
  • Posted on 04 April 20 at 16:07
    I just wish we could edit our gamercard and hide games or even delete them and just lose the score. There's a few games on my card that just annoy me lol. I know it's a minor complaint, but I would love to be able to remove them in some fashion.
  • BlackxRyanBlackxRyan968,507
    Posted on 04 April 20 at 16:08, Edited on 04 April 20 at 16:09 by BlackxRyan
    And before that, we had Forza 7, Dead Rising 4, Forza Horizon 4 and the list goes on
  • TrombonafideTrombonafide1,304,501
    Posted on 04 April 20 at 16:10
    Also, the common Halo 5 Lone Wolf glitch. I’m still affected by this one.
  • Posted on 04 April 20 at 16:11
    I think if the "achievement" fan base continues to make noise then xBOX studios will change it's policy to not all games are required to have achievements.

Definitely will be easier to get play anywhere games if you don't force achievements to be part of the completed product
  • SeitzzSeitzz1,098,065
    Posted on 04 April 20 at 16:14, Edited on 04 April 20 at 16:16 by Seitzz
    As much as we'd all like to have achievements work well, get fixed if broken, it has always just felt like achievements are way towards the bottom of their list, even trying to get certain things fixed or get attention to them is like pulling teeth sometimes. It's as if you're the asshole for asking for someone to fix what they should have gotten done on their own. I understand bugs pop up here and there, but there are some studios where maintenance on games just feels like it doesn't exist. Release is all they care about.

The achievement community is a fraction of their base, it's similar to them removing the optical port. Based on their numbers, people just didn't really use it that much, so it wasn't worth it from a cost point. Same thing for this pretty much, don't have the right numbers, doesn't matter as much.
  • BiLLzuMaNaTiBiLLzuMaNaTi3,657,662
    Posted on 04 April 20 at 16:18
    My achievement list is so buggy
    YouTube: AchievementLand
  • Posted on 04 April 20 at 16:22
    Mike Langlois said:
    I get that this is an achievement hunting website, but I think its a pretty good place to be if the biggest issues with your game is "the achievement didnt unlock."

Its not "the gameplay is terrible." or "its deleted my save" or "its not fun to play". If something as secondary (and achievements are secondary to a game. They aren't core to it, because there are plenty of games out there without them) as achievements are what your getting bad press for, I guess there are worst places to be,
    Absolutely this. In the modern era of game launches, a few achievements not unlocking aren’t gonna affect sales so much as bad frame dips or poor graphics would.
  • I GOT VVTII GOT VVTI239,190 239,190 GamerScore
    Posted on 04 April 20 at 16:26
    forza 7 needs a patch now mp laps and rival ones arnt registering didnt have problem with gears 4 whats wrong with horizon 4
  • Posted on 04 April 20 at 16:27
    It shouldn't matter how high/low on someone's priorities it is, it's careless and shouldn't be excused.
    Grand Slam Tennis 2 world #1
  • Bastian ReaderBastian Reader1,514,108
    Posted on 04 April 20 at 16:33, Edited on 04 April 20 at 16:34 by Bastian Reader
    And windows 10 games are even worse. Dead rising 4 and rise of the tomb raider released exclusively on Xbox and have unobtainable/discontinued achievements.
  • Posted on 04 April 20 at 16:41
    Isn't dead rising 4 a capcom game?
    Please excuse my typos I'm typing on my ducking phone.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead709,596
    Posted on 04 April 20 at 16:41
    I GOT VVTI said:
    forza 7 needs a patch now mp laps and rival ones arnt registering didnt have problem with gears 4 whats wrong with horizon 4
    Horizon 3 had barn finds that didn’t count.

As for FH4, I only remember the achievements that unlocked before you met the requirements.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • Posted on 04 April 20 at 16:42
    I agree, it is ridiculous that first party (and moon studios) games have any issues of any kind, Sea of Thieves I give the one exception to because they eventually unlocked and that was due to demand on the servers. But the other titles.. poor play testing I guess? Bad / lazy coding? Whatever the reason is, is kind of inexcusable. With that said, there are way worse things to complain about in this time that are more important than games. Hope you all are safe and doing well!
    Alladaskill17
  • DubstepEdgelordDubstepEdgelord2,436,017
    Posted on 04 April 20 at 16:43, Edited on 04 April 20 at 16:44 by DubstepEdgelord
    HolyHalfDead said:
    I GOT VVTI said:
    Horizon 3 had barn finds that didn’t count.

As for FH4, I only remember the achievements that unlocked before you met the requirements.
    If I remember correctly the Barn Find achievement was bugged but that was the only buggy-
    DubstepEdgelord
  • British LegendsBritish Legends1,066,787
    Posted on 04 April 20 at 16:44
    Agreed, Microsoft should enforce a penalty or fine against the studio for releasing a game with broken achievements. Particularly for a first party title.
  • Posted on 04 April 20 at 16:47
    Yeah no shit! All first party games have AT LEAST one fucked achievement these days
  • Posted on 04 April 20 at 16:48
    I would like to see the option of alternate unlock requirements more discussed. Why does this not happen?

If these could be added more widely with updates like it happened before in other games it would take away one of those lazy excuses from the gaming industry and bring peace to the simple achievement unlocker's mind.

And as a customer i really don't care which part of that industry's problem that would be and and who's second class quality control failed.

It just needs to be done.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.