Game Discussion: Growtopia

What is this game and why are there no completions?

  • vSullyvSully1,134,190
    Posted on 09 April 20 at 14:46
    It looks awful.
  • Facial La FleurFacial La Fleur1,286,891
    Posted on 09 April 20 at 15:28
    It is awful. It's like a horrifically bad Terraria. I played for a couple hours back when it first released on XBOX and didn't get anywhere with it thanks to it controlling so badly and, on general, being feeling overly complicated. Thankfully I didn't pop any achievements in that time. I think there are no completions just because no one wanted to suffer through what is required to get there.
  • Johnny SinisterJohnny Sinister1,421,213
    Posted on 09 April 20 at 19:16
    I remember when it first came out, it had 'survival horror' as a genre. It was funny when you see that then look at the cartoony boxart.

    This is typically the kind of game I try to complete just to see if it is possible. I don't mind getting the occasional unattainable to help out the community.

    I will have to see how this pandemic effects my work schedule for the next month. Maybe I will give it a shot and let you know. Looks like some good ratio, especially with that 200 GS achievement sitting there with a potential 20+ ratio.
  • Johnny SinisterJohnny Sinister1,421,213
    Posted on 09 April 20 at 23:15
    I went ahead and downloaded it after watching a video. I may give it a go, but the game already seems to be a bunch of bullshit.

    First off, the video I watched showed that the Ubisoft rewards allowed you to get 9,000 gems when you start the game. That has apparently been removed. It also showed that as an Xbox Gold member, you get daily rewards as a bonus. That has apparently been removed as well.

    Also, before I even got far enough into the tutorial to get the lock to keep people out of my world, a group of assholes jumped in, wrecked the place, and starting making barricades that prevent me from even getting outside my door.

    Fucking children.
  • Facial La FleurFacial La Fleur1,286,891
    Posted on 10 April 20 at 20:11
    Even when I played it at launch the free gems and rewards didn't seem to work. Maybe the UI is such shit that I couldn't find it though?
  • Johnny SinisterJohnny Sinister1,421,213
    Posted on 10 April 20 at 20:18
    Facial La Fleur said:
    Even when I played it at launch the free gems and rewards didn't seem to work. Maybe the UI is such shit that I couldn't find it though?
    I watched the Achievement Land video and the gems were available in the Ubisoft Club rewards, along with the Unicorn and stuff. Those items are still available, but the gems are no longer available.

    I have actually decided to keep playing through it. The game doesn't seem to run for more than 2 minutes before I get disconnected and the game has to try to reconnect me.

    Today, I haven't even been able to log in. You can't do anything while not connected to the server.

    Also, I bought a cheap VIP package just to get a jump on the achievements. MS sent me a receipt for my payment, but I have yet to receive anything in-game.

    Complete fucking joke.
  • Facial La FleurFacial La Fleur1,286,891
    Posted on 10 April 20 at 20:24
    Why do you hate yourself?
  • Johnny SinisterJohnny Sinister1,421,213
    Posted on 10 April 20 at 20:41
    Facial La Fleur said:
    Why do you hate yourself?
    lol. Nobody is enjoying games to earn Gamerscore these days anyways, it would seem.

    Let this be a testament to others. Learn from my mistakes.
  • Posted on 28 April 20 at 01:50
    Thought the same thing. Weird that not only has the game been out for a little less than a year but only ~750 TA members have even played it. Found it while scouring the website for some free games to add to my backlog lol.
  • Johnny SinisterJohnny Sinister1,421,213
    Posted on 28 April 20 at 19:26
    Update:

    I have continued playing and making decent progress. The game is oddly addicting, but still extremely flawed.

    I would highly suggest people not start this game. Even though the game came out less than a year ago on Xbox, Ubisoft has already discontinued support. This is a good indication that the game may find it self delisted and servers closed without much notice.

    The achievements are not only a huge grind, but also require a bit of luck. For instance, the Ringmaster one requires you to perform specific and grindy tasks, but the events are only available for about a 72 hour period per month.

    Also, the leveling system for the roles require daily tasks. Even if you completed the daily task each day, it would potentially take many months to get the levels you need for the achievement.

    If I can snag one or two of the elusive ones, I will consider it a win. But at this point, it may be a race against the clock.
  • Johnny SinisterJohnny Sinister1,421,213
    Posted on 01 May 20 at 00:01
    Update:

    Definitely don't start this.

    Ubisoft just made an announcement today; Console version of Growtopia will shut down on July 30th.
  • vSullyvSully1,134,190
  • Posted on 03 May 20 at 01:54, Edited on 03 May 20 at 01:55 by SneezeSomeMilk
    Johnny Sinister said:
    Even though the game came out less than a year ago on Xbox, Ubisoft has already discontinued support. This is a good indication that the game may find it self delisted and servers closed without much notice.
    Good call.

    Thanks for biting the bullet for us. Interesting read. Will you continue to play until server closure?
  • vSullyvSully1,134,190
    Posted on 03 May 20 at 02:04
    SneezeSomeMilk said:
    Thanks for biting the bullet for us. Interesting read. Will you continue to play until server closure?
    The game is online only and once the servers close, then game is essentially shut down.
  • Johnny SinisterJohnny Sinister1,421,213
    Posted on 03 May 20 at 11:55
    SneezeSomeMilk said:
    Johnny Sinister said:
    Even though the game came out less than a year ago on Xbox, Ubisoft has already discontinued support. This is a good indication that the game may find it self delisted and servers closed without much notice.
    Good call.

    Thanks for biting the bullet for us. Interesting read. Will you continue to play until server closure?
    There are a couple of achievements left that I expect to complete before they shutdown. I think I can hit level 99, but it will be a grind.

    A lot also depends on how many players choose to stick around until closure, as it is heavily society based.
  • acedawg4acedawg42,091,303
    Posted on 04 May 20 at 02:15
    I'll be playing until close if anyone will be still trying to get anything done.
  • CalyrisCalyris291,982
    Posted on 24 May 20 at 19:46
    Johnny Sinister said:
    There are a couple of achievements left that I expect to complete before they shutdown. I think I can hit level 99, but it will be a grind.

    A lot also depends on how many players choose to stick around until closure, as it is heavily society based.
    Since you can spend money in the game would that speed up progress enough to get the completion in time or is that not an option? If it is possible that way would you have an estimate as to how much it'd cost to get it done?
  • Johnny SinisterJohnny Sinister1,421,213
    Posted on 25 May 20 at 17:31
    Calyris said:
    Johnny Sinister said:
    There are a couple of achievements left that I expect to complete before they shutdown. I think I can hit level 99, but it will be a grind.

    A lot also depends on how many players choose to stick around until closure, as it is heavily society based.
    Since you can spend money in the game would that speed up progress enough to get the completion in time or is that not an option? If it is possible that way would you have an estimate as to how much it'd cost to get it done?
    The microtransactions weren't actually that helpful. They were mostly for gems, but once established, you can easily make more than what they were selling.

    Regardless, when the announcement to close servers was made, the store for buying microtransactions was shut down.
  • CalyrisCalyris291,982
    Posted on 25 May 20 at 18:44
    Johnny Sinister said:
    The microtransactions weren't actually that helpful. They were mostly for gems, but once established, you can easily make more than what they were selling.

    Regardless, when the announcement to close servers was made, the store for buying microtransactions was shut down.
    Ah, so that's not an option then. Thanks for the information.
  • Prof BOOMProf BOOM194,821
    Posted on 30 May 20 at 09:38
    Given this game a try. Like someone said oddly addictive. Wished I started playing a year ago probably be well ahead. But I’m going to “attempt” to do like what someone had said an grind for some of the elusive ones. Rather not hard to get along in the game. It’s just a pain. Kinda sucks they shut the console side off, be better to just merge it into the computer/mobile side.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.