Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

PS5's DualSense reveal puts Xbox Series X at an accessibility advantage

• Posted on 10 April 20 at 14:12
    Love how the new PS controller looks like an Xbox controller...You're welcome PS
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 April 20 at 14:18
    Let rip guys.......
    #illholdyourbeer
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 April 20 at 14:20
    I don’t want to be a fanboy – that’s just silly, we all should stop, – but I can’t ignore the fact that MS is just better at it. I would still be able to use my Elite 2 (I use my old Elite 1 with Switch, btw) with Series X and a lot of people would be able to use Adaptive Controller (also, I’m guessing here, third part solutions too). How cool is that!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 April 20 at 14:20
    At first I thought it was the “Elite Pro Stadia Controller”
    #illholdyourbeer
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 April 20 at 14:21
    Growing up, we used the older DualShocks - which were smaller than the current DS4 and Xbox One Controllers - so to a 10 year-old with 10 year-old sized hands, they worked just fine. Now I like ergonomic design of the Xbox controller (and so-far the DualSense's) as it rests comfortably in my now adult hands.

I never really considered what it would have been like if a much younger me had to use them...
  • FuchsdhFuchsdh547,164
    Posted on 10 April 20 at 14:23
    onsamyj said:
    I don’t want to be a fanboy – that’s just silly, we all should stop, – but I can’t ignore the fact that MS is just better at it. I would still be able to use my Elite 2 (I use my old Elite 1 with Switch, btw) with Series X and a lot of people would be able to use Adaptive Controller (also, I’m guessing here, third part solutions too). How cool is that!
    Has Sony said anything about backwards compatibility of their accessories?
  • Posted on 10 April 20 at 14:26
    I love the Xbox controller, it’s the best. But I will say that PS5 controller is the best looking controller.
  • Dakrkplayer2Dakrkplayer21,445,504
    Posted on 10 April 20 at 14:28
    I have feeling SONY will fail next gen due to this and no good marking for accessibility. This upcoming gen is not just about the game. But if all jeople can played the game. Either by a disabled gamer or non disabled gamer.
    XBOX 4 LIFE
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 April 20 at 14:33, Edited on 10 April 20 at 14:34 by
    Fuchsdh said:
    onsamyj said:
    I’m pretty sure that they didn’t say anything about that, with exception of PSVR (would work on PS5). Part of this article is actually about it: clear messaging on MS part and not so clear on Sony’s.

That doesn’t mean that you not gonna be able to use DualShock 4 on PlayStation 5. Maybe you will. You can use DualShock 4 on PlayStation 3, for example, which is … forward compatibility? :) Also, some speculated that DualSense looks a bit weird because it needs to work with PlayStation 4 games and maybe that an indicator that DualShock 4 would still work… but DualSense doesn’t have a light bar, that you need for some games and almost all VR games (as I said, we know that existing VR headset would work on PS5). So, in the end, we don’t know. Muddy messaging :)
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 April 20 at 14:33
    The lack of colour on the PS5 controller buttons really does make it look like a prototype to me. It certainly won't help accessibility. Respect to Xbox for their attention to detail on that front. Always seem to be pushing for better.
  • New ParalyzerNew Paralyzer1,338,086
    Posted on 10 April 20 at 14:34
    Fuchsdh said:
    onsamyj said:
    Sony uses an older input which enables a lot of Controllers to function on a PS3 and PS4.

The PS4 controller can work on a PS3

The PS3 move controllers work on a PS4.

Rock Band Controllers use a USB Dongle (Xbox 360 didn't) so that dongle works on PS3 and PS4.

The playstation classic controllers work on a PS3 so if you want to play some PS1 games on a PS3 with a USB PS1 controller you can totally do that.

That's why there so many third party Nintendo and Playstation Controllers (especially cheap $10 Chinese ones) where you don't see that with Microsofts consoles.
  • FuchsdhFuchsdh547,164
    Posted on 10 April 20 at 14:42
    New Paralyzer said:
    Fuchsdh said:
    onsamyj said:
    Sony uses an older input which enables a lot of Controllers to function on a PS3 and PS4.

Rock Band Controllers use a USB Dongle (Xbox 360 didn't) so that dongle works on PS3 and PS4.

The playstation classic controllers work on a PS3 so if you want to play some PS1 games on a PS3 with a USB PS1 controller you can totally do that.

That's why there so many third party Nintendo and Playstation Controllers (especially cheap $10 Chinese ones) where you don't see that with Microsofts consoles.
    Thanks for the info! I knew a bit about the controller stuff from third-party utilities to get my 360 controller to work on my Mac, but didn't know it extended to such a degree to their own hardware.
  • mkdfanmkdfan944,901
    Posted on 10 April 20 at 14:47
    I borrowed my brother’s PS4 to play FF7 Remake and I gotta say I hate the controller. The big pad thing and the badly placed buttons either side of it are just so awkward to use. Don’t get me started on the “triggers”. If this new one feels anything like that, I won’t want to use it.
    I do like the smoothness of the PS4 dash though. No lag compared to the One X dash.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 10 April 20 at 14:51
    New Paralyzer said:
    Fuchsdh said:
    onsamyj said:

Just to clarify, nor Sony, nor MS has any sort of open free-for-all policy about accessories. Is it easier to make them for PS3/4? Maybe. But, for example, as I understand it (from, speaking of, SpecialEffect YouTube channel) PlayStation 4 checks if legit DualShock 4 controller is connected, and that is why some third party accessories ask you to plug DualShock 4 into them. How others do that I don’t know. And, yeah, Nintendo seems to be more open to licensing to third parties.
  • Thief000Thief0001,082,415
    Posted on 10 April 20 at 15:02
    It looks like a pale corpse in a black tank top.
  • Major BonesMajor Bones427,129
    Posted on 10 April 20 at 15:04
    Never been a fan of the analog stick placement. Just looking at that makes my hands ache.
    Major Bones
  • JullianGGJullianGG996,558
    Posted on 10 April 20 at 15:16
    One feature that's Dramatically better than the Xbox controller is The PlayStation Controller has a built in Mic. I don't know how many times I've had to buy a mic because they always break over an over, Hope Xbox adds that with time.
    JuIIIian
  • Posted on 10 April 20 at 15:17
    im really interested in the console design now! the ps5 controller looks awesome but i still prefer the xbox stick placement
    my wifes boyfriend helps me with local coop achievements!
  • Posted on 10 April 20 at 15:27
    That controller looks horrible!!!!
    Mind you I don't like white consoles, even the X1S looks horrible in comparison to the X1X.
    Apart from my retro consoles there all black.
    [URL=https://www.trueachievements.com/gamer/theonlydragonsi][IMG]https://www.trueachievements.com/gamercards/theonlydragonsi.png[/IMG][/URL]
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.