Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Gears Tactics review: a fantastic strategy game that breathes new life into the Gears IP

• CanezzaCanezza54,391
  • HieronimusHieronimus432,681
    Posted on 27 April 20 at 13:04Permalink
    Good to hear this turned out well, but no word on the achievements?
  • CanezzaCanezza54,391
    Posted on 27 April 20 at 13:06Permalink
    Hieronimus said:
    Good to hear this turned out well, but no word on the achievements?
    Unfortunately, the achievements weren't live as I was playing and writing the review, so I couldn't see what had unlocked. It was only until this morning when the list went live I could see what had popped!
    TA & TT Staff Writer. Twitter: @SeanC159
  • Guirec730Guirec730325,357
    Posted on 27 April 20 at 13:09Permalink
    Good review. I've never played one of these tactics games before (I guess I tried FF tactics a million years ago for like 10 minutes but that's it) and now I feel like I get what this game is all about.

Not sure if it's for me unless it has some pretty important story stuff, though. I'm not sure I can persist 20 hours into a Gears game without any major story beats.
    State of the badass art.
  • FiveWizzFiveWizz359,648
    Posted on 27 April 20 at 13:15Permalink
    Really want to play this. But it's not on Xbox. Makes sense.
  • Grumpy BakeGrumpy Bake330,290
    Posted on 27 April 20 at 13:21Permalink
    Do we know if and when this is coming to Xbox? My laptop is only just a step up from a potato. It can run Football Manager and that's about it.
  • CanezzaCanezza54,391
    Posted on 27 April 20 at 13:39Permalink
    Grumpy Bake said:
    Do we know if and when this is coming to Xbox? My laptop is only just a step up from a potato. It can run Football Manager and that's about it.
    It's coming to console at some point later this year.
    TA & TT Staff Writer. Twitter: @SeanC159
  • Detox2033Detox2033209,268
    Posted on 27 April 20 at 13:42Permalink
    Why is this pc-only and not for xbox??? Other titles like Xcom were released the same day on all platforms. Wanna play this on my One, not Windows!
  • Posted on 27 April 20 at 13:42Permalink
    FiveWizz said:
    Really want to play this. But it's not on Xbox. Makes sense.

It will be on Xbox
    Grumpy Bake said:
    All we know for now is that it comes to Xbox, no confirmed release date yet.
    If not mistaken there will also be mouse and keyboard support
  • ndavis028ndavis02877,996
    Posted on 27 April 20 at 13:45Permalink
    Grumpy Bake said:
    I believe all they've said is end of the year
  • Posted on 27 April 20 at 13:48Permalink
    Still pretty irked it was not dropped on Xbox at same time. With exception of halo mcc they really seem to want to drop titles simultaneously for both pc and Xbox but this feels like a bit of a slap to Xbox players, given it will come to console eventually but really end of year that's super weak...
  • Smudgenat0rSmudgenat0r641,337
    Posted on 27 April 20 at 13:56Permalink
    This genre of game has always had more prominence on PC. It makes sense that they would put the majority of their effort behind a PC launch and deal with Xbox later. I get people are annoyed but this is a logical move for them to make.
  • Posted on 27 April 20 at 14:37Permalink
    Detox2033 said:
    Why is this pc-only and not for xbox??? Other titles like Xcom were released the same day on all platforms. Wanna play this on my One, not Windows!
    False.
    XCOM2 was released in February 2016 for PC, Xbox One version was released in September the same year.
  • Detox2033Detox2033209,268
    Posted on 27 April 20 at 14:37Permalink
    I also want COMMAND AND CONQUER for xbox!!!!but we won't get this 2020......it's hard enough for EA to remaster this glorious series.
  • NxblNxbl196,786
    Posted on 27 April 20 at 15:14Permalink
    nice!
  • Thief000Thief000762,345
    Posted on 27 April 20 at 15:44Permalink
    Definitely going to try this some time this year.
  • Posted on 27 April 20 at 16:21Permalink
    Looking forward to this coming to Xbox, though I still gotta get around to XCOM2.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead536,661
    Posted on 27 April 20 at 17:19, Edited on 27 April 20 at 17:20 by HolyHalfDeadPermalink
    Can members of your squad that you have invested 30 skills in, get killed on a mission?

Do you have a limited number of turns to complete some mission?

These are important aspects of TBS, so it doesn’t become some mindless RTS.

I still won’t be going anywhere near this game for at least 3 years, as I don’t trust TC on what they will do to it. Rest assured they will prioritise nerfing units and strategies, over fixing game breaking bugs.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • GerbasgamerGerbasgamer1,360,732
    Posted on 27 April 20 at 17:44Permalink
    HolyHalfDead said:
    Can members of your squad that you have invested 30 skills in, get killed on a mission?

Do you have a limited number of turns to complete some mission?

These are important aspects of TBS, so it doesn’t become some mindless RTS.

I still won’t be going anywhere near this game for at least 3 years, as I don’t trust TC on what they will do to it. Rest assured they will prioritise nerfing units and strategies, over fixing game breaking bugs.
    From what I remember reading previews, if a main characters dies, you fail the mission and have to replay it.
    This only makes sense as the game has a character driven story line and lots of cutscenes with these main characters.
    However, all other Gears can die during missions and they won't be available in any future missions.
  • GerbasgamerGerbasgamer1,360,732
    Posted on 27 April 20 at 17:46Permalink
    CHAOTIC IZUAL said:
    Still pretty irked it was not dropped on Xbox at same time. With exception of halo mcc they really seem to want to drop titles simultaneously for both pc and Xbox but this feels like a bit of a slap to Xbox players, given it will come to console eventually but really end of year that's super weak...
    The genre is/was pretty PC centric so I guess when development started, they only had PC in mind and later realized that there was demand for Xbox.
    On the plus side, this will likely be a launch title for Series X.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.