Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Why I want an Xbox Series S all-digital console

• CanezzaCanezza220,180
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 02 May 20 at 15:07
    I think a diskless Lockhart for 250 or under will make a killing. 1080@60 is still the standard for a lot of people. I can't wait to see what the form factor looks like. Thursday's going to be insane. I can't wait !
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 02 May 20 at 15:10, Edited on 03 May 20 at 00:44 by Elite1111111111
    There are so many stores selling Disks. Microsoft will make good money with discless consoles.

Mod Edit: I'm going to assume that was a typo.
  • lethelerrorlethelerror735,225
    Posted on 02 May 20 at 15:24, Edited on 02 May 20 at 15:26 by lethelerror
    no thanks, disks only for purchases, they are generally cheaper and will not have issue with drm or pulled from sale etc.

there is probably room for a digital only for people who only use game pass etc
  • AceAce1,356,575
    Posted on 02 May 20 at 15:34
    I mean the article somewhat touched on it but I feel like the headline could've been followed by 1 word:

Price

Undoubtedly an all-digital console would be cheaper, or the same price but with more storage. I would be very happy if there was an all digital option, I wound up with all of 2 discs for the xbox one throughout the console lifespan. One came with my X1S when I bought it after my original X1 broke and the other was 75% off of a game that was 1 month old while the digital version on sale was only 33% off. Both games which I now own digitally due to the DLC being much cheaper to buy in bundle.

So yeah, bring on digital.
  • Posted on 02 May 20 at 15:36
    That would be a bad move for the Lockhart model, most people that get it are the more casual gamers that only play Fifa, Madden, 2k COD every year, and in my experience they always do it through disks. And anyone who buys it simply because they can't afford the more expensive one, would prefer to have the disk drive as it keeps their options open, not stuck waiting for a digital sale.

That being said it wouldn't be the worst idea for a third, even cheaper model though.
    I would be Unstoppable, if not for Law Enforcement and Physics
  • KanchanaburiKanchanaburi1,328,635
    Posted on 02 May 20 at 15:39
    If the specs are the same for performance, i'd go discless. Less moving parts, the better. Although, I don't think the disc verisions actually read the disc after the game is installed. i think they only act as a lock and key that shows you own the game. but i am working towards clearing out my disc backlog and never buying a new disc game again. last one i bought was MassEffect And.
  • WicelowWicelow1,602,477
    Posted on 02 May 20 at 15:48, Edited on 02 May 20 at 15:49 by Wicelow
    I'm totally against the "all digital".
    New games on the M$ store are usually 69,99€ while the disk version is almost always 10-20€ cheaper.
    And the price difference is even worse after a few weeks/months.
    Plus I don't have (as many people in the world) a tremendous bandwith available so dowloading a 100+Go game would take me about... forever.
    Eat. Play. Love.
  • Posted on 02 May 20 at 15:52
    I would much prefer and would buy the all digital as long as it has the same specs. I've never used the disk drive in my 1X, not once. It's literally a waste of hardware/plastic/space/money for me. I would even pay the same price as the one with a disk drive.

I found out recently that MW took up 165 GB, even though it says different if you list your games in the library by size. I only noticed because I was transferring games between consoles and MW was a wopping 165 GB but in the library it said 109 or something like that.
  • Posted on 02 May 20 at 15:59
    lethelerror said:
    no thanks, disks only for purchases, they are generally cheaper and will not have issue with drm or pulled from sale etc.

there is probably room for a digital only for people who only use game pass etc
    I'm mostly with you on this. While I'm not 100% against purchasing digital games, I do so sparingly with the knowledge that because of things like A) DRM; B) Licensing issues; C) Account issues; etc. that I could lose those digital games forever, because you don't "buy" digital games, you pay for the use of a license, which can be taken away. Will I play my games forever? Unlikely, but I'm still an old-school gamer (and likely older than a decent number of people here) so I like to own what I pay for.

There is also the financial side of it. Sure, a digital only console might be cheaper to purchase than one with a disc drive, but in the long run it's possible and perhaps probable that you'll pay more in the long run if you just get games as you want them. I've seen over and over how digital prices rarely go down to match the discount found at retail stores or the secondary market for most games. If the Microsoft Store / Xbox marketplace is the only place you can get your games, what incentive does Microsoft have to make these games more affordable when they get older? It's not like you can go anywhere else to get your game without buying an entirely new console (be it an Xbox with a disc drive or a competitor's console). Those players who play often enough to make something like GamePass worth it may not end up seeing much, if any, increase in their gaming spending, however.

With that said, I'm not against them making a digital only console an option because I know that other people don't mind them. I just won't buy a console without a disc drive. To each their own. :)
  • ILethalStangILethalStang785,016
    Posted on 02 May 20 at 16:00
    All digital is good for those that have extremely fast internet and/or that live far away from a store. Some people that have slow internet are against it cause 100+ GB games, even smaller games. takes days to download. Personally I'm not a big fan of it cause im not a collector and once im done with a game I sell it and with digital only you can't.
  • DiesskayDiesskay916,359
    Posted on 02 May 20 at 16:13
    If Microsoft decides to allow the consumer to sell is digital license of a game to the market it would be a big deal and a big win win.
  • Posted on 02 May 20 at 16:15
    Nobody said all digital (I don't think :P cba reading it again) but the option would still be nice. I don't think disks will be gone completely for many many years, there will always be people that prefer disks so they will always keep that option open. I don't like disks but I understand why people do, cheaper, resale etc etc but I still prefer digital. It's more preferance than competition and hopefully they can keep both available.

Just wait until streaming becomes the next big thing :P
  • Posted on 02 May 20 at 16:16, Edited on 02 May 20 at 16:17 by TVthePunisher
    As an option? Sure, why not. People like digital only it’s a thing. As the only way to play? Eh...I’ve had reservations of the digital future for awhile. Delisting is one issue even the 360 faced. There’s also the issue of a game not going backwards, say a spinoff title of Resident Evil or something else that you’d want to play. Well if online support is cut off for the system down the line good luck trying to play it ever unless you already owned it.

For big or moderately successful games they’ll probably keep getting ported or made available through backwards compatibility down the line. For everything else well...digital only isn’t future proof. Not to mention the prices...waiting forever on a sale or you could pick up a disc for a lot cheaper.

Anyways I’m still a collector of physical media so I do hope this remains for years to come.
    dat Jill Valentine >=D
  • Posted on 02 May 20 at 16:16
    Lose access to all my physical 360 and xbox one disc games plus I only buy overpriced digital games? Thats a no for me bud.
  • pukem0nnpukem0nn283,166
    Posted on 02 May 20 at 16:18
    they could stop all production on One S and One X immediately and only have the discless Series S or the powerful Series X. Series S must be 250 or less to be acceptable, while Setries X will have to match or undercut PS5 price to have a chance at success.
  • Johnny Fl3xJohnny Fl3x779,435
    Posted on 02 May 20 at 16:22
    I think the X1 all digital console was way overpriced so I'm not looking forward to what they price this console at
    Every game with DLC that you pay for is a paid update.
  • Posted on 02 May 20 at 16:25
    This would kill the second hand market. Something people would not stop complaining about when they tried to do this with the One. 7-8 years now seems like people are having a massive turn around.
  • The CherishedThe Cherished1,818,351
    Posted on 02 May 20 at 16:27
    Wicelow said:
    I'm totally against the "all digital".
    New games on the M$ store are usually 69,99€ while the disk version is almost always 10-20€ cheaper.
    And the price difference is even worse after a few weeks/months.
    Plus I don't have (as many people in the world) a tremendous bandwith available so dowloading a 100+Go game would take me about... forever.
    That's the thing they never mention in these "go digital air" articles: MANY people are on metered connections still and several downloads kills all their allotted data for the month, NOT TO MENTION the endless massive patches to their betas masquerading as finished games that almost every studio releases.

There's also the issue of a disc you can always deleted the "patches" that only broke the game further (I'm looking at you My Riding Champion and the Occupation). With the digital air version I'm forever stuck with a broken game I can't resell... Which of course is the endgame for all these studios.
  • NO1KEVNO1KEV2,629,250
    Posted on 02 May 20 at 16:30
    Digital only? No thanks. The digital pricing for the big releases is absurd, and you have to download it. The reason most pc stuff is digital is because very few place do trade ins on pc games. If it goes digital only all the shops go cos all they would have to sell is pads n codes. No competitors equals price increases
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.