Genre Discussion: Island Saver

A messageboard for all things genres

Island Saver Multi-Genre Discussion

Related game: Island Saver

• Posted on 17 May 20 at 22:50
    Please use this thread to discuss this game's classification under the multi-genre system.

If you disagree with the current genres, please click the "Add genre disagreement" button below.
  • ChooseMyFateChooseMyFate434,314
    Posted on 17 May 20 at 22:51
    Sorta like Viva Piñata in a way.
    -CMF
  • HamerHamer239,179
    Posted on 19 May 20 at 13:10
    It's a viva piñata / mario sunshine clone :)
  • SnoozedsSnoozeds88,119
    Posted on 19 May 20 at 15:36
    Hamer said:
    It's a viva piñata / mario sunshine clone :)
    wouldn't call it a "clone", but yeah I agree
  • aww0aww0366,960
    Posted on 19 May 20 at 20:53
    It's clearly a straight up Slime Rancher clone, where are you getting Super Mario Sunshine or Viva Pinata from in any of this?

Exploring a world with basic platforming that involves collecting resources to purify animals, clearing up waste and killing enemies that are associated with dirt, all while filling up an encyclopedia and upgrading your suction gun.
  • Tandar1Tandar11,079,878
    Posted on 19 May 20 at 22:02
    Slime rancher
  • SluggorSluggor235,991
    Posted on 23 May 20 at 09:38
    Would this game fit in the Educational/Trivia genre? There's a clear aim with this game to teach children basics about finance and environmental issues so there's a clear underlying educational purpose.
  • A1exRDA1exRD343,827
    Posted on 23 May 20 at 14:46
    For me, it's an action-adventure game with educational elements.

I got strong Viva Pinata vibes too (I haven't played Slime Rancher), but ultimately, in Viva Pinata you're primarily managing an ecosystem (which is why it's a simulation game), whereas in Island Saver you're primarily exploring, picking things up, engaging in simple combat and platforming - and saving the creatures happens naturally as a byproduct.

Eg there's no habitat building, breeding, etc etc... you're primarily going on an adventure while you explore the island.

The educational elements, around finance and the environment, are also fundamental: the main thing that sets it apart from other educational games is that it's better-made & so it feels more fun!
  • DubstepEdgelordDubstepEdgelord1,121,442
    Posted on 27 May 20 at 22:07
    Platformer should be added since there are parts in the game that require jumping from one spot to another.
    DubstepEdgelord
  • Mal0d0rouSMal0d0rouS330,206
    Posted on 24 June 20 at 20:37
    Adventure.
    Felt like an adventure to me.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.