Industry News

News about the Industry itself, as opposed to a specific game. Only TA Newshounds can start threads here.

Microsoft announces the 2020 Special Olympics Xbox Virtual Gaming Event

• Posted on 21 May 20 at 17:22Permalink
    Show me new games.....
  • Posted on 21 May 20 at 17:36Permalink
    JeDiMlnDTrlcks said:
    Show me new games.....
    Are you serious. On this news story.
  • Skanker irlSkanker irl679,917
    Posted on 21 May 20 at 18:08Permalink
    Pretty awesome toast
    Pick it up, pick it up, pick it up!
  • EazyE2285EazyE2285318,616
    Posted on 21 May 20 at 18:13, Edited on 21 May 20 at 18:13 by EazyE2285Permalink
    Dogs In Bushes said:
    JeDiMlnDTrlcks said:
    Show me new games.....
    It's just a news story. They can want Microsoft to spend time showing new games.

As a matter of a fact, this publicity stunt would make an even bigger splash if it was Series X gameplay considering how terribly they bombed the last event.
  • Posted on 21 May 20 at 19:29Permalink
    EazyE2285 said:
    Dogs In Bushes said:
    JeDiMlnDTrlcks said:
    Show me new games.....
    It's just a news story. They can want Microsoft to spend time showing new games.

As a matter of a fact, this publicity stunt would make an even bigger splash if it was Series X gameplay considering how terribly they bombed the last event.
    I think any marketing efforts beyond the sponsorship itself will come across poorly. Microsoft has made a point of making accessibility a core focus of the platform. This sponsorship reaffirms that and is a strong marketing play to a large contingent of underrepresented and potential gamers.

Co-opting an event meant for disabled competitors into a Series X marketing event for the general population would almost definitely backfire, because it would make the event about Microsoft. Sponsorship works. People see it, but they still get to focus on the competitors. Adding game reveals steals that spotlight, and the very people who regularly spectate and compete at Special Olympics events would be extremely turned off by it.
  • Posted on 21 May 20 at 19:37, Edited on 21 May 20 at 19:38 by Elite1111111111Permalink
    Stryker can has said:
    *** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
    Nicely put.
  • EazyE2285EazyE2285318,616
    Posted on 21 May 20 at 20:40Permalink
    Stryker can has said:
    EazyE2285 said:
    Dogs In Bushes said:
    JeDiMlnDTrlcks said:
    Show me new games.....

I think any marketing efforts beyond the sponsorship itself will come across poorly. Microsoft has made a point of making accessibility a core focus of the platform. This sponsorship reaffirms that and is a strong marketing play to a large contingent of underrepresented and potential gamers.

Co-opting an event meant for disabled competitors into a Series X marketing event for the general population would almost definitely backfire, because it would make the event about Microsoft. Sponsorship works. People see it, but they still get to focus on the competitors. Adding game reveals steals that spotlight, and the very people who regularly spectate and compete at Special Olympics events would be extremely turned off by it.
    The fact it's just showcasing one game, albeit a pretty standard and easy one, does nothing to help show their accessibility. Where were these events before?

Maybe I'm wrong but I just see a company using this during their Series X lead up promotional run.
  • GRAND NOBLEGRAND NOBLE343,967
    Posted on 22 May 20 at 01:05Permalink
    Good on Microsoft and Xbox. The past few years I've been very proud to be an xbox owner.
    Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
  • Posted on 22 May 20 at 01:35Permalink
    These events are normally held at local colleges at the regional and state levels. This is where the athletes gather to compete in the games. From there the World Games occur, but I have never been a part of one of these. With restrictions on gatherings, this is them trying to something for the athletes and raise some awareness for the program. It would be nice to see some other games represented, but if you look at it from a fairness perspective, this might be the best game that many will be able to play and not exclude athletes.
  • PankerizatePankerizate200,334 200,334 GamerScore
    Posted on 22 May 20 at 05:51Permalink
    special Olympics
    Is this for the disabled?
  • ElyohElyoh808,740
    Posted on 22 May 20 at 07:02Permalink
    Pankerizate said:
    special Olympics
    Yes.
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
  • The Wet ChefThe Wet Chef289,914
    Posted on 22 May 20 at 12:12Permalink
    Which countries?
    I mean a list should be available.

I just like to chear on my fellow country people.
    I definitely tune in to chear on them.
    There is NO stupid questions. Only stupid answers!
  • Posted on 22 May 20 at 16:23Permalink
    Pankerizate said:
    special Olympics
    No its not thats the Paralympics, this is an event for people who have cognitive disabilities or was that what you meant. Just think of people with learning disabilities or Autism
  • r1khilr1khil34,872
    Posted on 23 May 20 at 05:04Permalink
    EazyE2285 said:
    Stryker can has said:
    EazyE2285 said:
    Dogs In Bushes said:
    JeDiMlnDTrlcks said:
    Show me new games.....

The fact it's just showcasing one game, albeit a pretty standard and easy one, does nothing to help show their accessibility. Where were these events before?

Maybe I'm wrong but I just see a company using this during their Series X lead up promotional run.
    Forza is nothing close to easy. Sure, if you have all the assists on, and playing against beginner AI, it will be easy. But when these drivers have to keep track of their tires, fuel, damage, and stay focused on the race, it becomes a very difficult mind game.
  • GsO LightGsO Light152,465 152,465 GamerScore
    Posted on 23 May 20 at 18:21Permalink
    These comments.. lol
  • NetechmaNetechma176,894
    Posted on 24 May 20 at 11:11Permalink
    I may be wrong but it occurs to me to be a naive common misconception here that a promotional event is equal to evil intent. I fail to see as a business they can't have a vested interest in disabled people and their game titles and launch success at the same time.

In the xbox ambassador program they make a repeating effort to recognize accessibility and that we should be inclusive to gamers with disabilities or backgrounds.

It makes me proud to be a part of the community when these types of things are recognized. Even if they're small efforts.
    please check out my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DidntknowIwantedthis/
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.