Site Wishlist

Got some ideas about how to make the site better? Post them here

Completion Guides

• ElyohElyoh808,740
    Posted on 22 May 20 at 05:45, Edited on 22 May 20 at 05:50 by ElyohPermalink
    For the longest time, I have wanted some sort of achievement guide that people could create just purely for the purpose of being a completion guide. Currently, we have walkthroughs. Now generally speaking these walkthroughs are great walkthroughs, but sometimes (Often) I don't personally want my hand held through a game. I just want some direction, a few sign posts, and a general guide as to what I should prepare for.

How to implement this though, I have never really been able to come up with a good way of doing so. There are always lots of problems with any way you do it, but after few too many nights playing the same game (Fourth playthrough of Van Helsing 2 at the moment...) and I think I've come up with the best middle-ground that also requires the least amount of dev work (i.e please do this Rich, I've tried making it easy laugh).

>What is the point of a completion guide?
    -Completion guides (CGs), also known as things like runthroughs and road maps, are a watered down walkthroughs designed just with the purpose of setting you off with everything you need to know so that you can do it all yourself, but still in the most efficent manner possible. They are not designed to tell you how you will do things, just what you should do. They're also fantastic for glancing at a game to get an idea of what you'll be in for if you're planning on getting it.

>How will it be implemented?
    -Currently, I believe the best way to implement this would be to use a feature mirroring how reviews are currently done. Users can post their own guides, and they can be voted on by the general public just the same, as well as commented. When posting a CG, users will have a standard guide of things they should include, such as-
    While creating your CG, here are some things you should ensure you mention:
    -Anything that is missable (Will require extra playthroughs, or repeating levels, if missed)
    -How many playthroughs are required using your guide
    -An estimate as to how long it will take to complete the game
    -How many players/Xboxs/Controllers are required for the completion
    -How difficult you believe the completion to be (Relative to similar games, if possible)
    -etc...

>Is this designed to replace walthroughs?
    -No. This is purely an additional tool/feature that the community can use. That being said, some games will be so simple that they'll get CG's and not WT's. Others will be so complicated that a CG won't really suffice, but they are designed to complement each other.

>Why not have a system where we have one CG at a time, like WT's?
    -Simply, the community will be better in deciding how best they want the CG's to be written. They're much shorter than WT's so many more people will be willing to input, and with the positive/negative system, after a few months of having this implemented you'll get a good idea of what is considered a good or bad CG. Eventually a 'standard' would be created for what you consider a CG to contain, and how it displays it.

>This is a dumb idea
    -I agree, but someone had to take one for the team and post it.

>How do you propose people get credit?
    -As these will often not be very long, sometimes shorter than individual achievement guides, I would propose these just give credit like a normal achievement guide does towards badges.

>Give us an example
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2

Welcome to the completion guide for Van helsing 2! This game will take you about 30 hours to complete, and you will need a friend for one 2-player achievement (Seperate consoles required!). Overall it is an easy game with no real difficulty, a part from perhaps the Hardcore achievement (But you can cheese it using the cloud save system if you must).

To start, to complete Van Hesling 2, you'll need to do three playthroughs with each character to get them all to level 60 (1 Playthrough each). Make sure you start at level 30, as ifyou start at level 1 all you're doing is adding another playthrough.
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing IIAdeptus MechanicusThe Adeptus Mechanicus achievement in The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II worth 101 pointsReach level 60 with an Arcane Mechanic (character class).

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing IIThe Wonderful WizardovThe The Wonderful Wizardov achievement in The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II worth 95 pointsReach level 60 with a Thaumaturge (character class).

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing IIMonster Hunter ExtraordinaireThe Monster Hunter Extraordinaire achievement in The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II worth 72 pointsReach level 60 with a Hunter (character class).

While doing this, one of the characters will have to be in hardcore to get these achievements
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing IISecret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II worth 126 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing III'm so Hardcore!The I'm so Hardcore! achievement in The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II worth 255 pointsFinish the game with a Hardcore character.

I personally found the Arcane Mechanic to be the easiest to do this on, as you can summon spiders to do all the work for you. You can also use the save expolit to delete your save from your console if you die, then redownload it from the cloud, if you die to recover your character.

Meanwhile the only co-op achievement you'll need to get out of the way is this one, it's easy to do but you will need two people on different consoles playing to get it
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing IISt. HelsingThe St. Helsing achievement in The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II worth 57 pointsHeal other players for a total of 50.000 HP.

The following achievements are side-quest related. You will get three oppurtunites to get these during your playthroughs and they're all easy to get, but you can check their individual guides for how to get them if you wish
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing IISecret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II worth 12 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing IISecret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II worth 9 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing IISecret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II worth 16 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement

While playing through the game there are 10 collectables you need to get for the following achievement. 7 of them are found in the actual world, but the rest you will need to fill up by sending your squad's on missions. As long as they don't fail the missions, you'll get the collectables (Ask the generals their opinon on the missions before sending them, if they sound unsure then don't send them!). There are 12 in total, so you can miss a couple and get this, but if you don't have this after completing the second character then you definitely need to focus on this for the third!
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing IIIn your face, Jones!The In your face, Jones! achievement in The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II worth 52 pointsCollect 10 Relics for the Resistance.

There are two bosses fighting it out at the end, and you need to focus on and make sure you get the final hit on the Dryad queen for this one
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing IIThe Roots of EvilThe The Roots of Evil achievement in The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II worth 46 pointsDefeat the Dryad Queen.

Make sure you also keep all green set items, as you need to wear a full set
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing IIA hunter with styleThe A hunter with style achievement in The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II worth 29 pointsEquip a full collection of Set items.

And last important note, as soon as you unlock the Chimera (Story related) add him as skill to use as you need to get 500 kills with him over the course of the three playthroughs (Plenty of oppurtunity, but might as well get it out of the way as early as possible!)
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing IIChimera of WarThe Chimera of War achievement in The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II worth 50 pointsLet your Chimera kill 500 enemies.

Every other achievement you will either get in the process of the three playthroughs, or will be very easily cleaned up at the end.
    I'd probably normally put more information in there, but I'm sick of typing at this point so I'll just leave it as it is and let this run smile
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
  • Posted on 22 May 20 at 08:44Permalink
    Id love something like this. Especially for missable achievements.

I just want a quick notice on where the missable achievements can be earned. Not a step by step on the entire game
  • Posted on 22 May 20 at 09:05Permalink
    I like the concept of seeing at a glance what the completion entails, but I think the walkthrough already accommodates this in hte form of the overview - it just isn't being used properly.

Look at this walkthrough overview for Inside:
    INSIDE Walkthrough

It is an overview of the game, not the walkthrough.

It should say something like:
    "You will need to complete the game once and pickup a dozen collectibles. The collectibles can be very quickly picked up after completing the game using chapter select if you prefer to playhtorugh without a guide."

This would be in contrast to say Murdered: Soul Suspect (Xbox 360) Walkthrough)
    where its hundereds of collectables, and missing one more or less means a repaly of the game. So if you want the completion, you probably want to guide it first time.

OXENFREE Walkthrough does a pretty decent job of this, but that walkthrough is pretty poor in most other aspects.
  • ElyohElyoh808,740
    Posted on 22 May 20 at 10:01Permalink
    That's a problem I see with walkthroughs, there's a split of opinion on if they're just for us achievement hunters wanting the achievements as fast as possible or if they're there to actually walk you through the games, and get all the achievements while you're doing it.

I'd see this as a clear defined line between the two. If you only want to keep it simple, just the CG. If you want to actually write a walkthrough, then properly go write the WT. I know the overview page can be used for a summary, but it often isn't, which leads me to this. There's also the problem that not everyone agrees on the best path, so multiple CG's would cover that (Thinking Dishonered for example. Some would say minimize it to just two playthroughs, others reckon three is better. With this, you'd get all the options and get to choose what matches you better).
  • halohogghalohogg101,228
    Posted on 22 May 20 at 13:24Permalink
    I have experienced the difference in approach for a walkthrough also. Sometimes they are presented as a normal gameplay, while others are immediately shoved into an express fast play. THIEF (Xbox 360) Walkthrough for example, asks you as a first time player, to complete the game on the hardest level first, then go back and clean up the easy stuff in a partial second playthrough. Although efficient, this method doesn't always lend itself to enjoying the game as intended.

In most cases a good Overview on the WT would likely satisfy. A second optional CG could be useful for a secondary method of completion that focuses on efficiency.
  • Posted on 22 May 20 at 20:52Permalink
    Great idea, whenever I make a walkthrough I plan to have a detailed WT and then an abbreviated WT like what you’re suggesting.
  • ElyohElyoh808,740
    Posted on 23 May 20 at 07:29Permalink
    A good walkthrough overview would satisfy, and definitely does - when it exists. It's not mandatory, so some writers do it and others just start straight into the game with no prior advice at all.

The other problem is finding walkthrough writers. A completion guide is only a toe in the water compared to writing a full walkthrough, so they'll go up much faster and many more people will be willing to input. I'll write the CP for the exampled game, for example, but I wouldn't write he walkthrough as at the moment I don't have the ability to throw that sort of time into a project (I have just recently got a PC again though, so hope to be able to get started on writing walkthroughs again in the future! Not something you want to do purely on a phone...). It also gives walkthrough writers a good backbone to work off, as essentially they'll just be fleshing out a completion guide to a proper walkthrough.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.