Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Call of Duty's "racist content" should have been stamped out a long time ago

• CanezzaCanezza220,643
  • XynvincibleXynvincible1,101,774
    Posted on 06 June 20 at 16:08
    I'm sure this article will facilitate a healthy and civil discussion.
  • ShadowRaven9ShadowRaven9408,152
    Posted on 06 June 20 at 16:12
    I respect Sean's opinion. He's not wrong but I wouldn't cast a shadow on people trying to reform now.

Saying that they should have done it long ago assumes they should just stay the course now and not try. You're right though, your opinion is sound.

Hindsight is always 20/20 though.
    Posted on 06 June 20 at 16:14, Edited on 06 June 20 at 16:15 by ShadowRaven9
    @TrueAchievements lol Opinion pieces should be colored or marked differently. I dont mind a good opinion but it is slightly bait-ey. Ill entitle anyone to an opinion, but game news and opinions need to be separated for the betterment of civil dicussion.

EDIT: I know the orange tab says opinion, but consider making it a big part of the headline when on the page.
  • SLAM PIG 86SLAM PIG 861,000,742
    Posted on 06 June 20 at 16:14
    ShadowRaven9 said:
    I respect Sean's opinion. He's not wrong but I wouldn't cast a shadow on people trying to reform now.

Saying that they should have done it long ago assumes they should just stay the course now and not try. You're right though, your opinion is sound.

Hindsight is always 20/20 though.
    The truth many don't want to acknowledge. Modern Warfare 2 lobbies though....
  • AlgurAlgur416,122
    Posted on 06 June 20 at 16:16
    Shouldn't you have been able to report these people for violations of Xbox TOS from the beginning?
    Posted on 06 June 20 at 16:18
    Algur said:
    Shouldn't you have been able to report these people for violations of Xbox TOS from the beginning?
    Sure, but they could have done more to educate people that it isnt right. Many people dont really care about TOS, and disregard it. Then they are shocked when they get banned lol
  • SilentRich69SilentRich69975,448
    Posted on 06 June 20 at 16:23
    I mean they were okay with people making swastikas in previous games, so do they really care? Hell I saw a guy who modded his name to something very awful and they do NOTHING about it because the game is past its one year cycle and let modders run riot.
    I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill em all!
  • AlgurAlgur416,122
    Posted on 06 June 20 at 16:24
    ShadowRaven9 said:
    Algur said:
    Sure, but they could have done more to educate people that it isnt right. Many people dont really care about TOS, and disregard it. Then they are shocked when they get banned lol
    Pretty sure most everybody realizes that prejudice is a problem. I would wager that the vast majority people hollering racial slurs or putting swastikas as their pictures are doing it expressly to offend others. No reason to be shocked at a ban in this scenario. Folks need to be proactive in reporting violations such as this.
  • Posted on 06 June 20 at 16:24
    They should have done it a while ago, but they didn’t. The past is the past, people learn and people improve. If they have truly learned and will keep pushing against the racist content, good. Lets not have a go at companies for taking to long to realize things.

On the same note, I’m also not going to lavish praise and companies for doing what should be the norm. They should be blocking racist, because that’s the normal thing to do. That’s what good people do.
  • rocking23nfrocking23nf614,812
    Posted on 06 June 20 at 16:25
    cant say i have ever seen racism on any xbox game i have played.

but then again, i dont get offended by colors, or feelings. so maybe i dont notice it.
  • Elite1111111111Elite11111111111,065,393
    Posted on 06 June 20 at 16:25
    Algur said:
    Not sure how it would work compared to a normal "bad" GT. Normally if you report a GT they just force a name change. This is either the Activision account name, or you can change your display name in CoD regardless (don't play it so I haven't been able to confirm that). Activision needs to get their name moderation on the level of Microsoft and Sony, especially when their game is free and cross-platform.
  • gallardoSVKgallardoSVK220,537
    Posted on 06 June 20 at 16:27, Edited on 06 June 20 at 16:31 by gallardoSVK
    And that's exactly why I consider Activision/Blizzard a hypocrite company that uses such a disaster only for its own PR profit. Considering how they actually care about people, I strongly believe these newly announced measurements to prevent racism wouldn't apply to newer titles.

Edit: Another issue that's deeply related to their games, is SWATting, which I don't think they "prevented" enough although it's been connected to Call of Duty games for years
  • AlgurAlgur416,122
    Posted on 06 June 20 at 16:28
    Elite1111111111 said:
    Algur said:
    Not sure how it would work compared to a normal "bad" GT. Normally if you report a GT they just force a name change. This is either the Activision account name, or you can change your display name in CoD regardless (don't play it so I haven't been able to confirm that). Activision needs to get their name moderation on the level of Microsoft and Sony, especially when their game is free and cross-platform.
    Fair enough. I'm not a COD fan so I don't know how these in-game tags work. I would think you could still report them to Microsoft though but maybe I'm wrong.
  • Elite1111111111Elite11111111111,065,393
    Posted on 06 June 20 at 16:30
    Algur said:
    Fair enough. I'm not a COD fan so I don't know how these in-game tags work. I would think you could still report them to Microsoft though but maybe I'm wrong.
    Unfortunately I've found Microsoft moderation pretty lax in anything that isn't clear cut. Bad GT or message? Quick response. Anything that requires more than a quick glance? Who knows.
  • F TANKF TANK1,078,586
    Posted on 06 June 20 at 16:45
    Lazy cry on command activism isnt going to fix anything. Its going to make petty racists on both sides more racist in the end.
    Planned Parrenthood lobbies to eradicate half the black population in this country yet I bet a PP logo would probably even be endorsed by Activision because a group of white board members running that racket have more power than every black person protesting in every city combined.
  • yossarianoyossariano452,547
    Posted on 06 June 20 at 16:46
    Back in 2014 I witnessed an unprovoked attack on an Indian guy with remarks making reference to personal hygiene, showers and gas chambers. I took screenshots of the game chat and sent them to Microsoft.

I also made a report to the police.

Not a thing happened. No ban, nothing.
    Yossariano
  • Posted on 06 June 20 at 16:47
    Only making it a priority now after seemingly a decade of very little should tell you whether this is PR or not.

Only ever doing something after some form of provocation indicates said thing wouldn't happen otherwise.
    Grand Slam Tennis 2 world #1
  • IRL Games XIRL Games X932,300
    Posted on 06 June 20 at 17:00
    As an ambassador for Xbox, I will say that if people aren’t reporting this content it’s hard for us to tell what is happening in every game all the time. I have seen a spike in racist reports the past few weeks and it is very sad. I like to think of Xbox as a welcoming community and encourage people to be positive when online and offline. If racists comments are made ask them to remove and stop making comments like that. Make sure to let Xbox know that you tried to make a difference when reporting people. This will help make our community a better and safer place. Everyone can truly help make a difference!
    Shadow2327
  • Posted on 06 June 20 at 17:01
    Ever since they introduced custom emblems in BO1 I think there’s been more days where I’ve seen a swastika or confederate flag than days where I haven’t, across every game since.

ActiVision-Blizzard only seem to see anything about American protests though. Don’t recall any support for Hong Kong.
This thread has been locked by Elite1111111111