TA Playlist

Messageboard for all things TA Playlist

TA Playlist Game for July 2020 Announced

• I Boz lI Boz l670,374
    Posted on 26 June 20 at 17:49Permalink
    wave
  • Posted on 26 June 20 at 22:48Permalink
    Aww, Crackdown was behind by 40 votes. :(

Never cared for Mirror's Edge, but willing to give it a go. Might try it on a second account first to see if it's something I will want to continue playing.
    My old signature offended someone, so it got removed.
  • Posted on 27 June 20 at 08:24Permalink
    RadiantViper said:
    A game I will probably never complete thanks to those damn speed-runs ... I did 3 of them and wanted to chuck the game out a window.
    Story of my life xD
    No way I will ever get my hands back on this game to finish the remaining speedruns...

And I don't even have the DLC. One game I will never complete, but I guess my controller appreciates it :D
  • Lobo SamhainLobo Samhain489,024
    Posted on 27 June 20 at 11:24Permalink
    Seeing all the speed run comments is really making me apprehensive about starting this game. I have always viewed speed run/time trial achievements along the lines of leaderboard achievements. They do nothing for the overall enjoyment of the game and are added to increase their game play time metric while being lazy with game design. Most time trial goals are set based on a development team's in house testing where people are play-testing the game 40+ hours a week for several months, if not longer. Sometimes the developers put thier best runners' times as the goal instead of something slightly lower that is more realistic to what an avererage or even a good player of the game can attain with without devoting excessive practice runs to which leads to a very small percentage of people actually earning the achievement.
    What?
  • RadiantViperRadiantViper818,048
    Posted on 27 June 20 at 11:58Permalink
    Lobo Samhain said:
    Seeing all the speed run comments is really making me apprehensive about starting this game. I have always viewed speed run/time trial achievements along the lines of leaderboard achievements. They do nothing for the overall enjoyment of the game and are added to increase their game play time metric while being lazy with game design. Most time trial goals are set based on a development team's in house testing where people are play-testing the game 40+ hours a week for several months, if not longer. Sometimes the developers put thier best runners' times as the goal instead of something slightly lower that is more realistic to what an avererage or even a good player of the game can attain with without devoting excessive practice runs to which leads to a very small percentage of people actually earning the achievement.
    It's still a great game worth playing, I would play it on a secondary account if you don't want to get 100%.
  • EarthboundXEarthboundX1,325,387
    Posted on 27 June 20 at 12:11, Edited on 27 June 20 at 12:13 by EarthboundXPermalink
    So I've done the time trials in both Dying Light, and Just Cause 3(Or at least the wingsuit challenges, which I would compare to time trials), how would Mirror's Edge's trials compare to those?

Seem to recall both of those games' trial were considered pretty hard, but I personally don't recall having huge issues with them.
  • wildwest08wildwest08913,195
    Posted on 28 June 20 at 00:48Permalink
    netstryker said:
    This game seems to be good, but, I am a little tired from games that demands speedruns for while. I'm working on "...Becomes the Master" achievement from Titanfall 2 and the two achievements from speedruns for finish under 3 hours the campaigns of Halo 3 and Halo 4 from Halo: The Master Chief Collection. I need just these two achievements to complete the game. Is a lot of speedruns. 😫😫😫
    Best of luck, spent many long nights perfecting Halo speedruns. Titanfall wasn't that bad but took time to master
    Posted on 28 June 20 at 00:51Permalink
    Haven't tried the series but probably won't join this month. Will look forward to the discussion though
  • RadiantViperRadiantViper818,048
    Posted on 28 June 20 at 01:14Permalink
    EarthboundX said:
    So I've done the time trials in both Dying Light, and Just Cause 3(Or at least the wingsuit challenges, which I would compare to time trials), how would Mirror's Edge's trials compare to those?

Seem to recall both of those games' trial were considered pretty hard, but I personally don't recall having huge issues with them.
    I've done Dying Light time trials, and I would consider Mirror's Edge several magnitudes more difficult. Mirror's Edge has more complicated parkour controls and the story speedruns are naturally longer than the fairly short races in Dying Light.
  • EarthboundXEarthboundX1,325,387
    Posted on 28 June 20 at 01:29Permalink
    RadiantViper said:
    EarthboundX said:

I've done Dying Light time trials, and I would consider Mirror's Edge several magnitudes more difficult. Mirror's Edge has more complicated parkour controls and the story speedruns are naturally longer than the fairly short races in Dying Light.
    Alright thanks, guess I'll see next month.
  • netstrykernetstryker413,754
    Posted on 28 June 20 at 03:10Permalink
    wildwest08 said:
    netstryker said:
    This game seems to be good, but, I am a little tired from games that demands speedruns for while. I'm working on "...Becomes the Master" achievement from Titanfall 2 and the two achievements from speedruns for finish under 3 hours the campaigns of Halo 3 and Halo 4 from Halo: The Master Chief Collection. I need just these two achievements to complete the game. Is a lot of speedruns. ??????
    Best of luck, spent many long nights perfecting Halo speedruns. Titanfall wasn't that bad but took time to master
    Thanks pal. For "...Becomes the Master" achievement we must have a lot of patience and practice, many different moves are needed to complete the time under 33.65. Unfortunately I have a contusion on the thumb of my right hand and after a couple tries I feel pain in my hand and finger, it forces me to stop and let to try in other day. I got the "Devastating" (complete all Halo 3 Legendary campaign missions in under 3 hours) achievement two days ago. My total time was 2:54, not bad. Now I'll work on "You're Joking", the Halo 4 speedrun and the last achievement to complete Halo: TMCC.
    netstryker
  • netstrykernetstryker413,754
    Posted on 28 June 20 at 03:11Permalink
    wildwest08 said:
    Haven't tried the series but probably won't join this month. Will look forward to the discussion though
    I'll do the same.
    netstryker
    Posted on 28 June 20 at 05:42Permalink
    netstryker said:
    wildwest08 said:
    netstryker said:
    This game seems to be good, but, I am a little tired from games that demands speedruns for while. I'm working on "...Becomes the Master" achievement from Titanfall 2 and the two achievements from speedruns for finish under 3 hours the campaigns of Halo 3 and Halo 4 from Halo: The Master Chief Collection. I need just these two achievements to complete the game. Is a lot of speedruns. ??????
    Thanks pal. For "...Becomes the Master" achievement we must have a lot of patience and practice, many different moves are needed to complete the time under 33.65. Unfortunately I have a contusion on the thumb of my right hand and after a couple tries I feel pain in my hand and finger, it forces me to stop and let to try in other day. I got the "Devastating" (complete all Halo 3 Legendary campaign missions in under 3 hours) achievement two days ago. My total time was 2:54, not bad. Now I'll work on "You're Joking", the Halo 4 speedrun and the last achievement to complete Halo: TMCC.
    I don’t remember that one being hard compared to 3 and 2. Hopefully it won’t take you too long
  • Stevo6483Stevo6483214,609
    Posted on 29 June 20 at 08:29Permalink
    Fantastic game. Looks, sounds and plays great - might not be everyone's cup of tea but I was pleased to have picked this up back on the 360. I was so pleased when we got the sequel/reboot on the One and I enjoyed that one even more, yet somehow I think I'm in a minority with that opinion.
    Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm375,244
    Posted on 29 June 20 at 15:39Permalink
    Congrats to Mirror's Edge.
  • dakisbacdakisbac751,149
    Posted on 29 June 20 at 15:59Permalink
    For anyone wary of starting this game because of the speed runs I would say don't worry, they should be achievable by most people if you put in the time; there's more than enough videos on YT to show you what to do.

The campaign missions specifically are not difficult to complete - many of them you will complete with a lot of time to spare - however they major downside is that if you do make a major mistake it's a lot more you have to replay. The time trials have a lot less leeway but they're much shorter so having to restart doesn't suck as much.

Honestly I hate doing timed missions in pretty much every game, but I didn't mind them in Mirror's Edge even though some of them are pretty difficult. I think the main reason for that is that this game is fair; there is a small amount of RNG in the few trials including enemies with guns, but for the most part your success or failure is entirely dependent on you, and so you can definitely improve and results will come.
  • Posted on 29 June 20 at 18:50Permalink
    Great game. For anyone going for the 100% completion, best of luck.
  • SnoozedsSnoozeds80,830
    Posted on 30 June 20 at 02:19, Edited on 30 June 20 at 02:19 by SnoozedsPermalink
    A Dreadful Shot said:
    Great game. For anyone going for the 100% completion, best of luck.
    Started it yesterday and oh god this game is old laugh
  • DANIELJJ14DANIELJJ141,486,298
    Posted on 30 June 20 at 16:08Permalink
    I totally forgot about this, happy to see my choice got picked.
    The speedruns I don’t recall being too bad seeing as I did most of them 11 years ago while still in my teens. When I was probably far more clueless as a gamer than I am now.

I guess I’ll have to finally buy the time trial dlc to truly finish it off.
  • SaP RaZzorSaP RaZzor616,350
    Posted on 30 June 20 at 23:48Permalink
    Speed runs were fun and not to hard ,
    Missed almost every collectible years ago and not planning to replay a lot of missions for them ..
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.