Investigations Questions

Question for the Investigations Team? Please remember to keep posts civil, abusive posts can result in loss of posting privileges. Posts in this forum can be read by anyone on the site. Please do not attempt to hijack a thread by posting information not relevant to the original post, start a new thread instead.

Is one person with numerous accounts repeatedly completing the same games an issue?

• vSullyvSully939,229
    Posted on 27 June 20 at 10:53Permalink
    I've noticed an instance of one person with multiple accounts replaying the same handful of games. Is there any sort of site rule or guideline for this sort of action?

The impact on game stats ranges from negligible to considerable based on how many players and completions these games have.

As an example, I've recently completed Insane Robots. With the knowledge I now possess, I could constantly make new accounts, replay the game over and over, and tank the ratios. Are there site rules to prevent this behavior?
  • Posted on 27 June 20 at 13:20Permalink
    Is one person with numerous accounts repeatedly completing the same games an issue?
    no
  • Posted on 27 June 20 at 13:25Permalink
    Why would it be? The achievements are earned legitimately. If someone wants to do the same game a 1000 times then thats on them
  • Inferno118Inferno1181,601,178
    Posted on 27 June 20 at 14:45Permalink
    It’s an odd scenario but no that’s not cheating. They could definitely do that
  • Posted on 27 June 20 at 15:34Permalink
    TA cares about getting achievements legitimately. So making new accounts is allowed.
  • Johnny SinisterJohnny Sinister1,132,299
    Posted on 28 June 20 at 01:17Permalink
    No site rules per se, but I am pretty sure that some community events have rules against this. Pretty sure something like this resulted in disqualifications on the team side of the latest GTASC.

I actually would think the opposite would be more likely. Have an alternate start every game you have completed to give every one of your ratios a bump.
  • Inferno118Inferno1181,601,178
    Posted on 28 June 20 at 02:29Permalink
    That’s so weird why would someone do that 🤣🤣
  • vSullyvSully939,229
    Posted on 28 June 20 at 16:03, Edited on 28 June 20 at 16:05 by vSullyPermalink
    Can I get clarification of (or a link to) the site callout policy? I just read through the Forum, Chat, and General Posting Guidelines and I don't see anything there that relates to listing a dozen or so different registered users from game completion pages and why that would be unacceptable.

I don't mean to be fatuous- I'm honestly confused and don't want to break site rules moving forward. I could understand if I made an accusation or a potentially slanderous comment but all I did was gather some evidence to try to paint a clearer picture of the original question posed in the thread. It seems that what these players have done is within site rules, so simply listing them in a forum post seems like an odd thing to prevent and I'm trying to find the line or distinction that would cause a future problem.

Could I make a list in a forum post that was relevant to a discussion of players with very high overall ratios, odd gamerscore values, or all ACA NEOGEO games on their profile?
  • Posted on 28 June 20 at 18:20Permalink
    You identified a user you suspect of having multiple accounts and linked to their achievements pages.

You called out those users.
    Ask me about my rock collection.
  • vSullyvSully939,229
    Posted on 28 June 20 at 18:54Permalink
    dropK1CK ninJA said:
    You identified a user you suspect of having multiple accounts and linked to their achievements pages.

But there's apparently no crime in having multiple accounts, so how is calling someone out for doing something allowed a callout?

It looks like you've played every Assassin's Creed game. Am I calling you out?
  • Posted on 28 June 20 at 19:57Permalink
    vSully said:
    dropK1CK ninJA said:

But there's apparently no crime in having multiple accounts, so how is calling someone out for doing something allowed a callout?

It looks like you've played every Assassin's Creed game. Am I calling you out?
    Don't be dense. You've been here long enough to know the difference.

If you believed a rule was actually broken, you would've brought it to the attention of the moderators. Instead you felt the need to identify and list each suspected profile here.
    Ask me about my rock collection.
  • ZalexzyZalexzy1,505,591
    Posted on 30 June 20 at 04:55Permalink
    Johnny Sinister said:
    No site rules per se, but I am pretty sure that some community events have rules against this. Pretty sure something like this resulted in disqualifications on the team side of the latest GTASC.
    Pretty sure you shouldnt talk about things you have no clue at all.
    Any problem solved is a new problem made.
  • Johnny SinisterJohnny Sinister1,132,299
    Posted on 30 June 20 at 06:22Permalink
    Zalexzy said:
    Johnny Sinister said:
    Ok guy. I see it is still a touchy subject.

The accounts in that case may have not exclusively belonged to the same person, but the same principle is in place. Based on this precedent, Sully couldn't make a team owned by himself and play the same games. So there is definitely some accurate information here.

Besides, I know I don't know all the details (no one seemed to), which is why I stated 'something like this'. If you have some useful information to help clarify, it would be appreciated. Otherwise, snarky comments don't help contribute to the issue at hand.
  • ZalexzyZalexzy1,505,591
    Posted on 30 June 20 at 08:24Permalink
    Johnny Sinister said:
    Zalexzy said:
    Johnny Sinister said:
    Ok guy. I see it is still a touchy subject.

The accounts in that case may have not exclusively belonged to the same person, but the same principle is in place. Based on this precedent, Sully couldn't make a team owned by himself and play the same games. So there is definitely some accurate information here.

Besides, I know I don't know all the details (no one seemed to), which is why I stated 'something like this'. If you have some useful information to help clarify, it would be appreciated. Otherwise, snarky comments don't help contribute to the issue at hand.
    Ah, my bad, didn't think it thru and "something like" seemed quite vague.

Yet, there is no issue with outside competitions/events. If someone wants to waste their time... Impact on ratios is very small unless they do it on game no one plays or do it thousands of times.
    Any problem solved is a new problem made.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.