Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Forza Motorsport brings the Forza franchise to Xbox Series X

• Posted on 23 July 20 at 18:17
    What I love about Forza Motorsport games is how they feel with a controller. How realistic it is is moot to me. All I want from a new FM game are new ways to experience that feeling, and that feeling itself doesn't have to change at all. One addition in FM7 had me playing that game more than any other in the series, and that was the option to extend race lengths in the career. Set it to extra-long and every race is an endurance race - not everyone's cup of tea, sure, but hypnotic - almost meditative - to me. The changing track conditions, even if it was just a subtle change from sunny to cloudy or sunset to night, helped to make every race feel different. I actually got up earlier in the morning before work so I could complete one race, and let me tell you, it's a great way to start the morning.

So, anyway, now I've made it clear that I love what many consider the most disappointing game in the series, so you might understand that I was ready to pre-order a Series X just for FM8 alone. But now? I don't know. I assumed the next Forza game would be a launch title (after all, it has been 3 years since the last game in this series that typically sees a release every 2 years), but 'early in development' in July doesn't suggest a release in December. I'm disappointed.
    Also, no suggestion of dirt racing. What was suggested was, perhaps, a narrower pool of cars like in GT Sport, starting at screens like in F1 career modes, perhaps more focus on... actual motorsport. Which sounds good but I actually like how races in Forza Motorsport can play out like polite destructions derbys. Multiplayer requires respect and racecraft to be enjoyable, but to me, the single-player is a contact sport. Until I get ahead of the pack and can enter my transcendental, hot-lapping state of mind.

So anyway! That was my over-long way of expressing my disappointment and announcing that I probably won't be pre-ordering a Series X anymore. But I still do love Forza Motorsport 7.
  • Posted on 23 July 20 at 18:18
    HolyHalfDead said:
    TheGillesMuller said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    TheGillesMuller said:
    It will look pretty is about the only certainty, FM6's career was a disgrace and by the sounds of it FM7 is more about car collection than you know...motorsport.
    Not sure you know what the FM series is about:
    Forza Motorsport 2All Cars from the United StatesThe All Cars from the United States achievement in Forza Motorsport 2 worth 76 pointsCollect all of the cars from the United States in your Career garage.
    Forza Motorsport 3ConnoisseurThe Connoisseur achievement in Forza Motorsport 3 worth 125 pointsOwn (at least) one car from every manufacturer.
    Forza Motorsport 4Ferrari CollectorThe Ferrari Collector achievement in Forza Motorsport 4 worth 155 pointsOwn every Ferrari included on Disc 1.

I know FM isn’t for everyone, especially those who want it to be like FH.
    Right so the achievement list of a game tells you what a game is about...

Those were all optional like a lot of achievements and weren't encouraged in any way by their respective games.
    okay smartarse, what exactly made you have to collect all the cars in FM7 that none of the previous games forced you to do? Oh, wait, you have never even played it and so have no idea what you are talking about laugh

FM has always been about the car collection, compared to other driving games where you can only select between 5-20 cars.
    I always thought you was an alright poster yet clearly I was hugely wrong.

I played FM6 and that headed the same way, do a series - change car - do a series - change car, you never got a chance to have any meaningful time in career with any car unlike in the 360 era.

FM7 added the driver gear crap and has car collection points for each car + the tier system similar to FH4 which no Forza game before these 2 most recent ones has had anything similar to.
    Grand Slam Tennis 2 world #1
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead784,419
    Posted on 23 July 20 at 18:33, Edited on 23 July 20 at 18:44 by HolyHalfDead
    TheGillesMuller said:

I played FM6 and that headed the same way, do a series - change car - do a series - change car, you never got a chance to have any meaningful time in career with any car unlike in the 360 era.

FM7 added the driver gear crap and has car collection points for each car + the tier system similar to FH4 which no Forza game before these 2 most recent ones has had anything similar to.
    I have enjoyed every Forza game I’ve played. The low point in the entire series was RNG mods in FM6 and Back of the Pack achievements. But I have no interest in each game being FM4 remastered.

When people trash talk games they have never played, then I will respond with evidence to the contrary. I’m sorry that you were offended.

Even in FM4 you had to collect and constantly change cars for
    Forza Motorsport 4Bucket ListThe Bucket List achievement in Forza Motorsport 4 worth 505 pointsFinish 1st in every single race in the Event List in Career play mode.

And let’s not talk about how you could hire a driver. Or how they added a rewind button to FM3. So yes each game has had it’s flaws, and each new game has tried to do something differently, although not always successfully or to everyone’s liking.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • Posted on 23 July 20 at 18:40
    HolyHalfDead said:
    TheGillesMuller said:

I have enjoyed every Forza game I’ve played. The low point in the entire series was RNG mods in FM6 and Back of the Pack achievements. But I have no interest in each game being FM4 remastered.

When people trash talk games they have never played, then I will respond with evidence to the contrary. I’m sorry that you were offended.

Even in FM4 you had to collect and constantly change cars for
    Forza Motorsport 4Bucket ListThe Bucket List achievement in Forza Motorsport 4 worth 505 pointsFinish 1st in every single race in the Event List in Career play mode.
    But you could hire a driver to do those too.

But I have no interest in each game being FM4 remastered.
    Pfft. Not a single one of the games released on the XB1 have been better than 3 or 4. 5 was barebones as hell. 6 was a grind fest. 7 was just a bad idea all the way around.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead784,419
    Posted on 23 July 20 at 18:53, Edited on 23 July 20 at 18:57 by HolyHalfDead
    DURDENS WRATH said:
    Pfft. Not a single one of the games released on the XB1 have been better than 3 or 4. 5 was barebones as hell. 6 was a grind fest. 7 was just a bad idea all the way around.
    Totally agree about 5, perhaps they had to cut it down to meet the launch date. It did look gorgeous, but had so many less tracks. 6 was an improvement (except for the two things I already mentioned) and I don’t see driving cars round tracks as a grind - that is what Motorsport is all about. 7 wasn’t very memorable, especially when sandwiched between FH3 and FH4.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • Posted on 23 July 20 at 18:54
    HolyHalfDead said:
    TheGillesMuller said:

But when people trash talk games they have never played, then I will respond with evidence to the contrary. I’m sorry that you were offended.

Even in FM4 you had to constantly change car for
    You could make it open class if you just wanted to burn through a whole bunch of them ASAP in an X class LMP.

I thought it was a grind in 3 + 4 at the time but I'd rather do them event lists again than the 6 runs of the exact same 80-90 odd races needed to complete SOM in FM6.
    Grand Slam Tennis 2 world #1
  • Posted on 23 July 20 at 18:55
    Looking forward to this
    Blakeeee
  • Posted on 23 July 20 at 19:07, Edited on 23 July 20 at 19:16 by DURDENS WRATH
    HolyHalfDead said:
    DURDENS WRATH said:
    Unless you're a troll, nobody denies that FM5-FM7 were hollow shells of the games that were on the 360. Graphical Fidelity over gameplay and fun.
    Lame response calling me a troll for stating the fact car collecting has always been part of Forza. And yes, I know what I am talking about - do you see my name on this list - Forza/leaderboard Series

FM3 and FM4 were truly great games, I never said they weren’t. But FM6 and FM7 were more than just pretty. Dynamic weather and time of day, especially on 2+ hour races, made pit stop and tyre choices much more important.

And yet you claim FM6 is hollow when you have never played it. That makes you the troll wave
    After Drivatards and the Front to Back achievement, I refused, and just watched my friend play FM6. It was nothing to write home about. A grindy, soulless game, like all the XB1 versions.

The worst thing they did was put in Drivatars.

6 runs of the exact same 80-90 odd races needed to complete SOM in FM6.
    I hated that. So much of the same old same old. OVER AND OVER.

and I don’t see driving cars round tracks as a grind - that is what Motorsport is all about.
    But at least in FM3 and FM4 it didn't feel like running the same dang track over and over a million times. Plus in FM3 and FM4 there wasn't a Horizon that made Motorsport feel so dull.

After Horizon I basically lost interest in FM. With FM7 killing the whole desire to play Motorsport again unless they went back to 3 or 4.

Lame response calling me a troll
    NO, I DIDN'T. I said unless you're a troll, FM4 and FM3 were the high water marks of the series. Water, weather, and times of day doesn't make up for how shallow the game feels otherwise. They lost a lot of magic, and concentrated on pretty.
  • Iggsy81Iggsy81705,212
    Posted on 23 July 20 at 20:46
    This is a real surprise to me, sounds like this game is still way off, i expected a Forza this year and was looknig forward to it, kinda disappointed it sounds 2-3 years away : (
  • Doomski85Doomski85665,829
    Posted on 23 July 20 at 22:16
    Looks like thry taking sometime to make this one so hopefully single player campaign will be much of a improvement over previous releases. If its early development my guess is we won't see it until 2022 or very late 2021.
  • LeGagnanLeGagnan502,305
    Posted on 23 July 20 at 23:14
    I was expecting this to be released at launch with XSX, so feeling kinda disappointed. One less reason to buy XSX day one. What have Turn 10 been doing since FM7?
  • Christoph 5782Christoph 57821,028,070
    Posted on 23 July 20 at 23:36
    Not sure why they aren’t just sticking with a new Horizon game every 2 years, that’s really what Turn 10 is good at. Their sim racing games, whilst infinity better than anything Kylotonn has put out, really are pretty below average
    Let's Go!
  • JdobemJdobem1,089,100
    Posted on 23 July 20 at 23:46
    So disappointed FM isn't coming this year....
    J
  • QuantStealthQuantStealth930,322
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 01:26
    show
  • matszematsze595,245
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 07:55
    Really disappointed that it is only in "early development". I would have hoped this was further along :/
  • Iggsy81Iggsy81705,212
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 08:31
    Christoph 5782 said:
    Not sure why they aren’t just sticking with a new Horizon game every 2 years, that’s really what Turn 10 is good at. Their sim racing games, whilst infinity better than anything Kylotonn has put out, really are pretty below average
    Turn 10 doesn't even make the Horizon games you complete n00bfactory. And for the record Motorsport is about a billion times better than Horizon anyways.
  • psportalpsportal237,528
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 09:33
    I have a feeling Turn10 will forego the numbering system and just call the next game 'Forza Motorsport' and keep building/adding content to that game for years. Like an F2P model.
    M.A.K.
  • SilentJay76SilentJay76817,796
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 10:27, Edited on 24 July 20 at 10:28 by SilentJay76
    Iggsy81 said:
    Christoph 5782 said:
    Turn 10 doesn't even make the Horizon games you complete n00bfactory. And for the record Motorsport is about a billion times better than Horizon anyways.
    A lot of people don't know that the two series are made by different developers. No need for insults.

And "the record" you're stating is your personal opinion. As you can tell from the comments here, plenty of people would think the opposite.

@Christoph: Horizon is made by Playground Games, for what it's worth. (Although I'm sure there's a cooperation with Turn 10 regarding the tech, etc.)
  • DersDrumsDersDrums278,130
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 12:48
    I want to be excited for this, but I'm afraid it's going to be grinding the same few tracks against the same lifeless, AWFUL AI. I'm hoping they got rid of the Driveatards. In FM7, I remember grinding the 3-hour GT3 endurance race at Spa, and after 80+ laps, all 23 AI cars were STILL within about 20 seconds of each other, following each other in a line. It was probably the most boring race I've ever done in any racing game. No strategy, no field spread, nothing that makes motorsports great. It was an absolutely lifeless experience.

Hopefully this game brings in some realism and isn't another arcade-y, lifeless cash grab. I'll wait for reviews before being duped.
  • Christoph 5782Christoph 57821,028,070
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 12:48
    Iggsy81 said:
    Christoph 5782 said:
    Weird, I feel like I’ve seen that Turn 10 logo in booting up the Horizon games before but maybe not. That’s my mistake then.

But like the Mororsport games don’t have any sense of reason behind them, it’s just complete a random set of races until the game decides you can stop! Wanna race Spa in reverse in the dark? Well too bad, have fun not being able to see on an iconic track very clearly designed to go the other direction on!
    Let's Go!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads