Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Here is every announcement from July's Xbox Games Showcase

• SilentJay76SilentJay76546,260
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 09:36, Edited on 24 July 20 at 09:38 by SilentJay76
    mer0u1 said:
    I'm very disappointed. I was expecting Forza Horizon 5, not the rubbish Forza Motorsports...
    There's a difference between wishing and expecting. FH5 likely won't be released until late 2021, so there's no reason to expect an announcement at this time. It was always going to be Forza Motorsport (8.) And just because it's not Horizon doesn't make it "rubbish." It's a different game.

If it makes you feel any better, I think it's safe to expect some new FH4 DLC to coincide with the launch of the Series X.
  • Posted on 24 July 20 at 09:37
    Quesodrew said:
    I was satisfied with what they had to show (Halo, Fable, State of Decay) and somewhat pleasantly surprised (STALKER 2, Dragon Quest, Avowed, Echo Generation). Genuinely curious what you would be interested in to make it blow you away, though. This is honestly the best Xbox has been in a while, in terms of games lineup.
    I don't know. It's hard to put my finger on. Don't get me wrong I really liked what they had to show but so much of what I would want to play (Forza, Avowed, Fable) is EARLY in development. I was hoping to see why I should be buying a Series X in the here and now. Even Halo is kind of soft launching on the X and getting a patch to add things like RT. That was my main complaint about the PS5 presentation. So I should buy a PS5 to play Spiderman and Astro's Playroom? Get out of here.
  • Posted on 24 July 20 at 09:38
    Woolyguy24 said:
    YaIrishMick96 said:
    Don't know why Xbox keep putting every game they claim is an "exclusive" on PC. PlayStation literally sell consoles like hotcakes because of their exclusive games you have no choice but to play on their console, and their console alone.
    Not true. just recently you was able to play spiderman on PC with PSNOW. This whole "exclusive" thing people are so pressed about, overshadows you actually playing the game. What does exclusives do for you?
    I seem to remember several games which scored extremely well and have won many awards that are only playable on the PS4.
    One does not simply stop playing xbox
  • Springbok NLSpringbok NL662,224
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 09:57
    AcousticMayo said:
    Crossfire X caught me off guard. Really excited to see what Remedy can do with a FPS, they're games are always high quality.
    Max Payne, Control and Quantum Break cannot answer that question?
  • psybOltOnpsybOltOn257,372
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 10:22
    YaIrishMick96 said:
    Woolyguy24 said:
    YaIrishMick96 said:
    Don't know why Xbox keep putting every game they claim is an "exclusive" on PC. PlayStation literally sell consoles like hotcakes because of their exclusive games you have no choice but to play on their console, and their console alone.
    Not true. just recently you was able to play spiderman on PC with PSNOW. This whole "exclusive" thing people are so pressed about, overshadows you actually playing the game. What does exclusives do for you?
    I seem to remember several games which scored extremely well and have won many awards that are only playable on the PS4.
    What most people finds hard to understand that those games didn't score well because they were exclusives. They scored well because they were good games.
    So you actually don't want exclusives you want good games. Furthermore, if there wouldn't be any exclusivity, you could play those games on your Xbox.
  • psybOltOnpsybOltOn257,372
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 10:23
    Springbok NL said:
    AcousticMayo said:
    Crossfire X caught me off guard. Really excited to see what Remedy can do with a FPS, they're games are always high quality.
    None of them is FPS? They make great games, but OP was curious about FPS I think.
  • drewblesdrewbles285,622
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 10:54
    I don't know why so many are upset with xbox. This was purely first party stuff. Some have been delayed due to the virus. We had the big announcements, Fable and Avowed. Really keen to learn more about both. A lot will prob be pushed but that's not xboxs fault, there is only so much you can do working from home. Plus we have a big event in August with 3rd party stuff and the details about the console. Dying to know what changes with subscriptions since rumours are Gold is going. I still want my free games with gold stuff, its given me the chance to find new games I love over the year.
    I was never big on First party stuff anyway, enjoyed Gears and Forza Horizon stuff, may play the odd Halo but now way more choice.
    I mostly play 3rd party so hoping to see Batman Gotham knight, Suicide squad, new saints Row, Dead rising, be amazing to see Sleeping dogs 2, Fallout 3 and New Vegas remasters with added content such as building your own home/base. Really hope they're saving Perfect Dark for the next event. Biggest surprise which I know will never happen is if someone actually got Goldeneye, remastered it like they did Perfect dark, not like that horrible Daniel craig version they did.
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 11:20
    psybOltOn said:
    Springbok NL said:
    AcousticMayo said:
    None of them is FPS? They make great games, but OP was curious about FPS I think.
    That might be a good point, although I think that the gunplay will be similar to those games. It's just a different camera position.
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 11:23, Edited on 24 July 20 at 11:23 by Springbok NL
    drewbles said:
    I don't know why so many are upset with xbox. This was purely first party stuff. Some have been delayed due to the virus. We had the big announcements, Fable and Avowed. Really keen to learn more about both. A lot will prob be pushed but that's not xboxs fault, there is only so much you can do working from home. Plus we have a big event in August with 3rd party stuff and the details about the console. Dying to know what changes with subscriptions since rumours are Gold is going. I still want my free games with gold stuff, its given me the chance to find new games I love over the year.
    I was never big on First party stuff anyway, enjoyed Gears and Forza Horizon stuff, may play the odd Halo but now way more choice.
    I mostly play 3rd party so hoping to see Batman Gotham knight, Suicide squad, new saints Row, Dead rising, be amazing to see Sleeping dogs 2 (1), Fallout 3 and New Vegas remasters with added content such as building your own home/base. Really hope they're saving Perfect Dark for the next event. Biggest surprise which I know will never happen is if someone actually got Goldeneye, remastered it like they did Perfect dark, not like that horrible Daniel craig version they did. (2)
    1) Sleeping Dogs 2 would be fantastic, only the studio that made SD1 doesn't exist anymore and 2) I found Quantum of Solace quite enjoyable. Believe that MP was on the COD4-engine.
  • KJer25KJer25692,797
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 11:29
    Where were the “mic drop” moments promised? This was mostly awful. Trailers don’t excite me. Gameplay is king. It’s pretty clear Xbox is going to a live service type model with their 1st party games. Halo looks the exact same as it did 15 years ago. That’s not bringing in new players who dropped off years ago. 20 second trailer for Fable? It’s a game that’s been in development for years. Gimme a break. Do better. This was disappointing by any measure.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead561,920
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 11:39, Edited on 24 July 20 at 11:56 by HolyHalfDead
    a44Special said:
    What happened to no Xbox game studios games will be exclusive to Series X for at least a year
    SweetArkhane said:
    So what happened to the "No first party Series X exclusive" ?
    MS already breaking promisses?
    At least two years - https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/16/players-first-you-are...

But if they don’t release them for a couple of years they will remain true to their word. It was a stupid promise to make anyway. Why limit their game studios to hardware from 2013, while other developers are creating amazing Series + Win 10 + PS5 games?

Hard to believe there will be a 5 year gap between Forza Motorsport though.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 11:49
    LeXXuz said:
    No console exclusives? Why then bother with the new console?
    (Gosh, never expected me to say this after 15 years of buying countless Xboxes.)
    The Microsoft console is for people who don’t have a Microsoft PC. They make the same amount of money regardless of where you play the game.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • WizzArtWizzArt350,956
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 12:11, Edited on 24 July 20 at 12:11 by WizzArt
    Just curious... Why do I see people shortening the Xbox Series X to XseX or SeX, the right way would be XSX would it not!? Maybe they are 12 or something....
  • Posted on 24 July 20 at 12:14, Edited on 24 July 20 at 12:16 by ProjectOasis
    psybOltOn said:
    Boy I was mistaken.
    You can't please people these days.
    You get a show with interesting, broad range of games. Both long waited sequels and new IPs. Gameplay in 4k 60FPS. Smart delivery. More to come.
    And yet people are still call it boring. It seems people need a world war at least to call it exciting.
    Then the complaints about exclusives: "oh I can't enjoy my game of choice because people on other platforms can play it too!"
    "I'm not convinced to upgrade to Series X!"
    You know what? Don't! Buy your PS, build your PC and enjoy that! MS does not need to convince every one of you personally why you should get their new console, they are doing fine, thank you.
    I think MS is delivered, they offer a quite good hardware and a broad selection of games to play them on it. There will be 3rd party games too, and all my backlog with faster loading times and enhanced graphics.
    What else you need?
    Boy you seem angry only because people have a different opinion. But different opinions are not accepted anymore these days it seems...
    Still I'll counter your arguments:
    For me most of the games are not even interesting, some few are, one excites me a bit (Stalker 2).
    Gameplay in 4k was almost non existent and not everyone is waiting for Halo. Also it would be sad if everyone buys an Xbox only for Halo.
    Yeah I call it boring, it was boring, and no I don't need a WW and the comparison is really something tbh.
    Let me explain something about exclusives to you: First of all yesterdays event was explicitly about exclusives. It was highly appraised and anticipated and it didn't deliver to that expectations for many. It has NOTHING to do with 3rd party games or one would not enjoy them because they're available on other consoles thats just stupid. A console not only lives from it's hardware, exclusives are as importent everything else. Thats how the company generates customers as much as with services and hardware. Otherwise we'd only need one console producer, right?
    So yeah I'm not convinced to upgrade but you definately don't tell me what to buy. And since I do own both (X1X and PS4Pro) I have a good comparison. Exclusives in the last years were by far not as good as on the PS. So yes, MS has to convince gamers. Especially since exclusives are their entrance way for gamers to subscribe to their services. Thats what generates their income. Not the XSX! That will be a negative business.
    So in the end yes, they have a vast lineup but their exclusives - at least in my opinion which I'm entitled to - are lacking the wow experience.
    I still remember when I first watched the Gears of War 1 trailer which blew me away. The Halo 3 Announcment trailer, which was so well executed. Or the first Forza Horizon trailer which opened a whole new door to the racing experience. Thats what is missing for years now in Xbox IPs and presentations.
    And that's why people are complaining. And they have every right to do so.
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 12:24, Edited on 24 July 20 at 12:28 by HolyHalfDead
    Elyoh said:
    Shinnizle said:
    rob25X said:
    If the Series X costs £400-£500 it will make more sense to just spend that money on a PC or upgrade the graphics card. And with the PC option you could also play all high requirements games on the entire Steam library as well.

Series X just doesn't seem to offer anything really. It's certainly not going to compete with PS5 that's for sure. It will be PS5 vs PC now.
    Thing is, pretty much the only way to get a PC powerful AND cheap enough for that (and it'll still be a few hundred dollars more than a Series X) is to build it yourself. I'm sure 90% of the gaming population has no clue how to do that.
    And to add, live in a country with cheaper PC parts. Building a PC in New Zealand, you'd spend far more than twice as much just to match (And that's without any optimization).
    These “build a PC” crowd forget they have to buy a controller, mouse & keyboard (and HDMI cable if they are connecting to a TV). What they have left over has to pay for the case, psu, mobo, 8 core 3.8ghz cpu, 16gb gddr6, 1TB NVMe, 4K bluray drive, fans, cables, W10 license, and the big cost item - a 12tf gpu capable of 4K @ 60fps up to 8K and 120fps with ray tracing. I’m assuming the mobo audio output is good enough.

I challenge anyone to do that with $500. I don’t even think $700 would be enough.

My issue with PC gaming, is a 10 year old PC cannot play the latest games, even on the lowest setting. Whereas a 10 year old console still can (a 2005 X360 could play the games released in 2016, as will an Xbox One in 2023).

Also, try trading in a 4 year old PC towards a new one, and you will get laughed at.
  • Posted on 24 July 20 at 12:34
    psybOltOn said:
    YaIrishMick96 said:
    Woolyguy24 said:
    YaIrishMick96 said:
    What most people finds hard to understand that those games didn't score well because they were exclusives. They scored well because they were good games.
    So you actually don't want exclusives you want good games. Furthermore, if there wouldn't be any exclusivity, you could play those games on your Xbox.
    I didn't say I wanted exclusives. I merely pointed out how odd it is that Xbox do not have ANY exclusives that can't be bought on PC which is superior graphically. PS4 however DO and plenty of them are great games as you say, which makes much more sense and surprise, surprise PS4 sold a shit ton whereas Xbox didn't.
    One does not simply stop playing xbox
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 12:42
    ProjectOasis#676 said:
    The Halo 3 Announcment trailer, which was so well executed.
    I was in a large dark conference room at a Microsoft Vista + Office 2007 event, and they played that before the keynote. It gave me goosebumps.

To be fair it is hard to generate that atmosphere in these times of Covid. Although I do think the XSX launch party should be in New Zealand, land of the Covid free and one of the first places to hit midnight. Live stream that to the rest of the world and it will create a buzz Sony will not be able to rival.
  • rob25Xrob25X599,431
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 12:45
    HolyHalfDead said:
    LeXXuz said:
    No console exclusives? Why then bother with the new console?
    (Gosh, never expected me to say this after 15 years of buying countless Xboxes.)
    The Microsoft console is for people who don’t have a Microsoft PC. They make the same amount of money regardless of where you play the game.
    There really is no benefit to owning an Xbox console anymore. Those who don't have a Windows 10 PC will probably invest in one now instead of a Series X. A Win 10 PC will do everything Series X can do and a whole lot more.

If a person can afford a Series X at launch (£500?) and have a 4K TV to play it on, they can most likely afford, or already own, a high spec PC.
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 12:51
    WizzArt said:
    Just curious... Why do I see people shortening the Xbox Series X to XseX or SeX, the right way would be XSX would it not!? Maybe they are 12 or something....
    They are. Remember they called the last one X Bone.

Worst still there are already people calling it the X. Thankfully Microsoft discontinued the Xbox X v1 before the Xbox X v2 is released. But if they go ahead and call a new console the Xbox S the confusion will remain. Imagine the disappointed kids getting an Xbox One S from Santa, when they wanted a Xbox Series S.
  • Posted on 24 July 20 at 12:54
    Some good games, I never watch these shows so i'm never disappointed :P My mate who watches said it was pretty average though. I'm not bothered still plenty of games,
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.