Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Here is every announcement from July's Xbox Games Showcase

• Posted on 24 July 20 at 12:59
    This was just as bad as PS5/Ubisoft. Only thing that really caught my eye is Crossfire and Senua of course. I'll probably play Halo too but other than those two, nothing for me. Not a fan of cartoon looking games anymore.
  • Posted on 24 July 20 at 13:03
    The SCHWARTZ 00 said:
    Wasn't impressed by the show, but Avowed, Fable, Halo, Darktide, Destiny: Beyond Light, and The Medium all got me excited. I just wish they had a knockout tentpole game like Ghosts Of Tushima to show off. I was also hoping beyond hope that we would get a NInja Gaiden teaser or even just an announcement, which would have had me throwing my wallet at the screen with the force of a shuriken.
    I had my Dabilahro Ultimate Technique charged up ready to hit my TV if they announced a new NG!
  • Posted on 24 July 20 at 13:07
    rob25X said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    LeXXuz said:
    No console exclusives? Why then bother with the new console?
    (Gosh, never expected me to say this after 15 years of buying countless Xboxes.)
    The Microsoft console is for people who don’t have a Microsoft PC. They make the same amount of money regardless of where you play the game.
    There really is no benefit to owning an Xbox console anymore. Those who don't have a Windows 10 PC will probably invest in one now instead of a Series X. A Win 10 PC will do everything Series X can do and a whole lot more.

If a person can afford a Series X at launch (£500?) and have a 4K TV to play it on, they can most likely afford, or already own, a high spec PC.
    No they don't :P I could afford one but don't, we do have one in the house, my daughter bought herself one and nobody else is allowed on it. Don't forget many of us are parents and can't justify at least £1000 to buy a gaming platform. Many will but I can't agree, I have much more important things to spend £1000 on, plus even for £1000 I wouldn't be able to build the PC I want, probably more like £1300.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead562,324
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 13:16, Edited on 24 July 20 at 13:32 by HolyHalfDead
    rob25X said:
    There really is no benefit to owning an Xbox console anymore. Those who don't have a Windows 10 PC will probably invest in one now instead of a Series X. A Win 10 PC will do everything Series X can do and a whole lot more.

If a person can afford a Series X at launch (£500?) and have a 4K TV to play it on, they can most likely afford, or already own, a high spec PC.
    You didn’t even read my other reply, or if you did you chose to ignore it.
    HolyHalfDead said:
    These “build a PC” crowd forget they have to buy a controller, mouse & keyboard (and HDMI cable if they are connecting to a TV). What they have left over has to pay for the case, psu, mobo, 8 core 3.8ghz cpu, 16gb gddr6, 1TB NVMe, 4K bluray drive, fans, cables, W10 license, and the big cost item - a 12tf gpu capable of 4K @ 60fps up to 8K and 120fps with ray tracing. I’m assuming the mobo audio output is good enough.
    You CANNOT buy/build a PC with those specs for anything close to the price of a XSX, or expect that PC to play new games 10 years from now without paying for a single upgrade.

And with xCloud you don’t even need a gaming PC or a console.

Whilst many people grew up console gaming, I was a PC gamer. I easily spent $1000 USD per year on my gaming PC ($2000 in the first year). The GameCube was my first console, and there is no way I am going back to PC gaming.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • psybOltOnpsybOltOn257,520
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 13:21
    ProjectOasis#676 said:
    Boy you seem angry only because people have a different opinion. But different opinions are not accepted anymore these days it seems...
    Still I'll counter your arguments:
    For me most of the games are not even interesting, some few are, one excites me a bit (Stalker 2).
    Gameplay in 4k was almost non existent and not everyone is waiting for Halo. Also it would be sad if everyone buys an Xbox only for Halo.
    Yeah I call it boring, it was boring, and no I don't need a WW and the comparison is really something tbh.
    Let me explain something about exclusives to you: First of all yesterdays event was explicitly about exclusives. It was highly appraised and anticipated and it didn't deliver to that expectations for many. It has NOTHING to do with 3rd party games or one would not enjoy them because they're available on other consoles thats just stupid. A console not only lives from it's hardware, exclusives are as importent everything else. Thats how the company generates customers as much as with services and hardware. Otherwise we'd only need one console producer, right?
    So yeah I'm not convinced to upgrade but you definately don't tell me what to buy. And since I do own both (X1X and PS4Pro) I have a good comparison. Exclusives in the last years were by far not as good as on the PS. So yes, MS has to convince gamers. Especially since exclusives are their entrance way for gamers to subscribe to their services. Thats what generates their income. Not the XSX! That will be a negative business.
    So in the end yes, they have a vast lineup but their exclusives - at least in my opinion which I'm entitled to - are lacking the wow experience.
    I still remember when I first watched the Gears of War 1 trailer which blew me away. The Halo 3 Announcment trailer, which was so well executed. Or the first Forza Horizon trailer which opened a whole new door to the racing experience. Thats what is missing for years now in Xbox IPs and presentations.
    And that's why people are complaining. And they have every right to do so.
    I'm not angry, I just simply don't understand people. We agree on that, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that was mine. And yes, maybe not everyone liked everything what they've seen. But was it REALLY trash? Garbage? Borefest? Not even a bit of interesting?
    Almost nonexistent 4k gameplay? We must've seen different streams, all gameplay was 4k there.
    Then the other thing. Exclusives. I'm aware yesterday was about exclusives. What I was saying, if those are not for you, it is not like you can't play anything else on the box. But me thinking exclusives are the stupid and shouldn't exist at all.
    When I'm looking at two console I pick based on services and such. Never had any issue that I ran out of good games.
    And why would I tell you what to buy? But you seem to eager to have a company tell you what to buy. All I said you have the choice. MS's priority is not to sell the most console anymore, they said it clearly but some of you still holding on that a company's success is measured by units sold.
    If this new Xbox is not good for you then simply don't buy it. Why hurts people if they don't have to buy something they are clearly not interested?
    To finish up, remember, what you said. People can have different opinion. And my different opinion is this: people want too much and feel way too entitled. You can't please everyone.
  • psybOltOnpsybOltOn257,520
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 13:32
    HolyHalfDead said:
    rob25X said:

You didn’t even read my other reply, or if you did you chose to ignore it.
    HolyHalfDead said:
    These “build a PC” crowd forget they have to buy a controller, mouse & keyboard (and HDMI cable if they are connecting to a TV). What they have left over has to pay for the case, psu, mobo, 8 core 3.8ghz cpu, 16gb gddr6, 1TB NVMe, 4K bluray drive, fans, cables, W10 license, and the big cost item - a 12tf gpu capable of 4K @ 60fps up to 8K and 120fps with ray tracing. I’m assuming the mobo audio output is good enough.
    You CANNOT buy/build a PC with those specs for anything close to the price of a XSX, or expect that PC to play new games 10 years from now without paying for a single upgrade.

And with xCloud you don’t need a gaming PC or a console.
    This. Here a new graphic card is more expensive than an Xbox One X. And that is only the graphic card. People count 4k tv into the Xbox price while most people would have a tv just to watch series and movies anyway. Also to be able to do "a whole lot more" you don't need a gaming PC. I have a good laptop for all the PC stuff and the console for all the gaming.
    But generally people tend to forget it is not alway about money. It was said before, but I also prefer playing on the sofa in the living room, with my tv and surround setup. And I love that I buy a console once and than all I have to think about are games. No drivers, no hardware replacement, no compability issues, no finetuing graphical settings just playing.
    I know it might be fun for some, but there are different people with different preferences. Those like me (and I'm sure there are some) will pick a console over a gaming PC anytime.
  • Posted on 24 July 20 at 13:37
    I was hoping for a big surprise but am definitely looking forward to the slate of games that was announced. And with all being on gamepass is a huge bonus
  • Posted on 24 July 20 at 13:45
    HolyHalfDead said:
    WizzArt said:
    Just curious... Why do I see people shortening the Xbox Series X to XseX or SeX, the right way would be XSX would it not!? Maybe they are 12 or something....
    They are. Remember they called the last one X Bone.

Worst still there are already people calling it the X. Thankfully Microsoft discontinued the Xbox X v1 before the Xbox X v2 is released. But if they go ahead and call a new console the Xbox S the confusion will remain. Imagine the disappointed kids getting an Xbox One S from Santa, when they wanted a Xbox Series S.
    Maybe we should call it Xbox 4. smile
  • I Boz lI Boz l791,170
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 13:49
    Stalker and The Medium caught my eye...the rest not at all. Hopefully everything comes to GP.

IMPORTANT QUESTION: any info about the achievements? Games will have just 1 version running on both consoles (and so, the same list) or there will be stacks?

With the new-gen i'd definitely say goodbye to stacks....time is running out
  • Posted on 24 July 20 at 13:56, Edited on 24 July 20 at 14:00 by SantaUndercover
    EngineerJared said:
    I'm a huge Xbox guy and I've been crazy defending them but this presentation just didn't blow me away. It felt on par with the PS5 presentation which is fine but they needed to knock it out of the park.
    Presentations are just presentations. Bunch of trailers and pre-recorded clips. Just trying to create hype around the console/platform/game.
    They just need to set a good price and keep up the quality of first party and indies on their platform. That is probably how they can steal some of the market.
    But they probably will do the same like every launch and over focus on NA/UK, leaving the rest up for grabs for Sony.

SweetArkhane said:
    So what happened to the "No first party Series X exclusive" ?
    MS already breaking promisses?
    Launch exclusive for console. Everything will probably be available on PC.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead562,324
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 14:20, Edited on 24 July 20 at 14:23 by HolyHalfDead
    I Boz l said:
    Stalker and The Medium caught my eye...the rest not at all. Hopefully everything comes to GP.

IMPORTANT QUESTION: any info about the achievements? Games will have just 1 version running on both consoles (and so, the same list) or there will be stacks?

Only true of games that support Smart Delivery or Play Anywhere. If you spend $180 buying 3 copies of the same game (X1, XS, W10) it will have 3 achievement lists. Overcooked already has a stack, as will NBA21.

Minecraft, the king of stacks, will be interesting because if the Series version is released within 2 years we should get it for free through Smart Delivery so it won’t have a stack.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • Rista BRista B532,627
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 14:37
    After reflecting on the show I think there is a lot of potential shown but I don't think they did a very good job of offering up or getting people excited about the potential.

Either way if their intent was to get me ready to pre-order the Series X or even buy one at launch they failed. I'm excited about the next gen but at this point I see no reason not to wait a year or more for price discounting and/or game bundling to come along before picking one up.
    Rest in peace Ryan Hayward, a fellow gamer taken too soon.
  • I Boz lI Boz l791,170
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 14:58
    HolyHalfDead said:
    I Boz l said:

Only true of games that support Smart Delivery or Play Anywhere. If you spend $180 buying 3 copies of the same game (X1, XS, W10) it will have 3 achievement lists. Overcooked already has a stack, as will NBA21.

Minecraft, the king of stacks, will be interesting because if the Series version is released within 2 years we should get it for free through Smart Delivery so it won’t have a stack.
    Thanks for clarifying.
    (I might be wrong but Overcooked is basically a collection so it's not really "the same exact game").

I read that Smart Delivery can be used by any developer/publisher so the point is only one here: will they prefer to develop multiple stacks (using different programming systems i guess?) to sell more copies or will they use this feature?
    I feel the 360/One transition was a different thing so i can't compare
  • SilentJay76SilentJay76546,672
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 15:29
    psybOltOn said:
    But generally people tend to forget it is not alway about money. It was said before, but I also prefer playing on the sofa in the living room, with my tv and surround setup. And I love that I buy a console once and than all I have to think about are games. No drivers, no hardware replacement, no compability issues, no finetuing graphical settings just playing.
    I know it might be fun for some, but there are different people with different preferences. Those like me (and I'm sure there are some) will pick a console over a gaming PC anytime.
    My opinion exactly. A console is just so much easier to run. That and the comfort of playing on the sofa are the main reasons for me. I don't care that I could get slightly better graphics on PC... for several times the price... if I look at comparison screenshots side by side.

I actually have a pretty decent gaming PC. But I very rarely use it for gaming... unfortunately.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm434,431
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 16:12
    Rista B said:
    After reflecting on the show I think there is a lot of potential shown but I don't think they did a very good job of offering up or getting people excited about the potential.

Either way if their intent was to get me ready to pre-order the Series X or even buy one at launch they failed. I'm excited about the next gen but at this point I see no reason not to wait a year or more for price discounting and/or game bundling to come along before picking one up.
    I buy consoles at launch because I'm an early adopter. Consoles rarely have an impressive library at launch. The original XBox comes to mind as the exception that proves the rule. Its 20 launch titles included the blockbusters: Halo: Combat Evolved, Dead or Alive 3, & Project Gotham Racing. In contrast, the launch of the original Playstation in Japan featured just over half a dozen forgettable titles. The only one I got was a train sim: A. IV Evolution.

My assessment from yesterday's show is that the XBox Series X is well above the average in terms of the quality & variety of launch titles. But, I expect the best games available when the XBox Series X launches will be 8th gen titles and not 9th gen titles. The developers will simply not have learned to leverage the potential of the new hardware and the games are bound to have issues because of developer inexperience.

This is simply the nature of the beast. There's a great deal of hype surrounding the arrival of a new console with words like megabytes and teraflops. The Sega Saturn was an impressive peace of machinery with dual CPUs. Unfortunately, developers found them overly complex. So, even though the Saturn had a better array of game titles than the Playstation at launch and was a more powerful machine; developers favored the simpler internal architecture of the Playstation & left the Saturn in the dust.

I think the Series X will be a great console with a great library. I like hype--it generates buzz and enhances the gaming experience. Your disenchantment with yesterday's event was probably because you sensed it was a marketing event and not a true gamer's open house. The bottom line is if you want the early adoption experience, buy at launch. If you want great games, buy a year or two after launch. Console production will have improved--fewer quality issues--and the prices of the console will have diminished.
  • pjamelevenpjameleven111,297
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 17:17
    Great showcase and I'm so hyped that Fable was finally officially announced!
  • Posted on 24 July 20 at 17:44
    Will Dragon Quest XI S be on xbox one or only series X, and will it have a physical copy
  • NO1KEVNO1KEV2,043,112
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 19:19
    It was what i expected, 90% cg and next to no actual gameplay. Virtually anything can look good on a cgi trailer. Still nothing that makes me feel that i need to buy the new console for awhile
  • x athiktos xx athiktos x210,810
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 20:05
    As far as excitement on these games, it's...Fable > Halo > everything else.
    I tlain you life!
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm434,431
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 20:34
    Cyberpunk 2077 continues to be my most anticipated series X game
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.