Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Here is every announcement from July's Xbox Games Showcase

• Woolyguy24Woolyguy24518,238
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 21:10
    ProjectOasis#676 said:
    psybOltOn said:
    Boy I was mistaken.
    You can't please people these days.
    You get a show with interesting, broad range of games. Both long waited sequels and new IPs. Gameplay in 4k 60FPS. Smart delivery. More to come.
    And yet people are still call it boring. It seems people need a world war at least to call it exciting.
    Then the complaints about exclusives: "oh I can't enjoy my game of choice because people on other platforms can play it too!"
    "I'm not convinced to upgrade to Series X!"
    You know what? Don't! Buy your PS, build your PC and enjoy that! MS does not need to convince every one of you personally why you should get their new console, they are doing fine, thank you.
    I think MS is delivered, they offer a quite good hardware and a broad selection of games to play them on it. There will be 3rd party games too, and all my backlog with faster loading times and enhanced graphics.
    What else you need?
    Boy you seem angry only because people have a different opinion. But different opinions are not accepted anymore these days it seems...
    Still I'll counter your arguments:
    For me most of the games are not even interesting, some few are, one excites me a bit (Stalker 2).
    Gameplay in 4k was almost non existent and not everyone is waiting for Halo. Also it would be sad if everyone buys an Xbox only for Halo.
    Yeah I call it boring, it was boring, and no I don't need a WW and the comparison is really something tbh.
    Let me explain something about exclusives to you: First of all yesterdays event was explicitly about exclusives. It was highly appraised and anticipated and it didn't deliver to that expectations for many. It has NOTHING to do with 3rd party games or one would not enjoy them because they're available on other consoles thats just stupid. A console not only lives from it's hardware, exclusives are as importent everything else. Thats how the company generates customers as much as with services and hardware. Otherwise we'd only need one console producer, right?
    So yeah I'm not convinced to upgrade but you definately don't tell me what to buy. And since I do own both (X1X and PS4Pro) I have a good comparison. Exclusives in the last years were by far not as good as on the PS. So yes, MS has to convince gamers. Especially since exclusives are their entrance way for gamers to subscribe to their services. Thats what generates their income. Not the XSX! That will be a negative business.
    So in the end yes, they have a vast lineup but their exclusives - at least in my opinion which I'm entitled to - are lacking the wow experience.
    I still remember when I first watched the Gears of War 1 trailer which blew me away. The Halo 3 Announcment trailer, which was so well executed. Or the first Forza Horizon trailer which opened a whole new door to the racing experience. Thats what is missing for years now in Xbox IPs and presentations.
    And that's why people are complaining. And they have every right to do so.
    No, ppl are complaining because they want MS to do what SONY does. This is why you hear ppl saying things like "MICROSOFT needs a game that can combat GOD OF WAR, HORIZON 2) instead of actually being grateful what you get. Most ppl sugarcoat what SONY puts out which can be an experience that only lasts a week compared to the experience MS provides. SONY direction is to give you cinematic story driven games. Nintendo direction is to give you house party games. MS direction is games as services but they are only ones that ppl want to hold to such a unfair expectation. MS gives you AAA games, oh the fidelity is outdated, oh the game loads 2 secs long give me a break! If you like SONY games, than u are better off staying on that platform MS does not care what you want from them from a SONY viewpoint. MS only cares about the gamers they already have within their ecosystem. Also it is time to stop the "sales" narrative that only consumers keep bringing up. BOTH SONY and MS admits that they lose money manufacturing consoles. Sales does NOT equal REVENUE. REVENUE will always be better than sales. You know its bad when consumers care so much about pocketwatching a companies assets, more than the company itself. We have lost our direction in actually enjoying the damn games we buy and play!!!
    Ahawk30
  • Woolyguy24Woolyguy24518,238
    Posted on 24 July 20 at 21:24
    YaIrishMick96 said:
    Woolyguy24 said:
    YaIrishMick96 said:
    Don't know why Xbox keep putting every game they claim is an "exclusive" on PC. PlayStation literally sell consoles like hotcakes because of their exclusive games you have no choice but to play on their console, and their console alone.
    Not true. just recently you was able to play spiderman on PC with PSNOW. This whole "exclusive" thing people are so pressed about, overshadows you actually playing the game. What does exclusives do for you?
    I seem to remember several games which scored extremely well and have won many awards that are only playable on the PS4.
    Did you read what I quoted? Spiderman and GOD OF WAR were available last month on PC through PSNOW. What does it being exclusive to PS4 have to do with a good score?
    Ahawk30
  • Darklord1899Darklord1899383,645
    Posted on 25 July 20 at 00:26, Edited on 25 July 20 at 00:31 by Darklord1899
    State of Dudcay. Originally it was such a fun zombie game on 360. The Xbox I game was good but very glitchy. They never fixed it. Then came out state of decay 2. The dumped the perspective.
    The biggest mistake was to make it less about the zombies and more like a weird Day z clone. Then after which it felt like a tower defence game. You could not explore as you kept needing to go to the base. Nothing like the original game. Although we saw this new game only as a trailer it does not bode well. Now it is a hunting game with zombie deer... oh dear.

Apart from that Halo I looks amazing and the dlc of outer worlds.

There is nothing there that made me want to buy a series X as it is coming out on pc as well. Plus total sour grapes of Gold.

Well perhaps we will get some good stuff coming out soon. Though putting total sh** like Fallout 76 on games pass.. they should pay us money to play that.. No mans sky.. yawn...
  • Darklord1899Darklord1899383,645
    Posted on 25 July 20 at 00:33
    Last point. At least we have a games system. Some people plonked down $400 for a New Atari VCS. It has been coming out for the last 3 years and show 0 sign of ever being released. So we can play games.. spare a thought for chumps who stomped up for that turkey.
  • Posted on 25 July 20 at 01:28
    Allgorhythm said:
    Rista B said:
    After reflecting on the show I think there is a lot of potential shown but I don't think they did a very good job of offering up or getting people excited about the potential.

Either way if their intent was to get me ready to pre-order the Series X or even buy one at launch they failed. I'm excited about the next gen but at this point I see no reason not to wait a year or more for price discounting and/or game bundling to come along before picking one up.
    I buy consoles at launch because I'm an early adopter. Consoles rarely have an impressive library at launch. The original XBox comes to mind as the exception that proves the rule. Its 20 launch titles included the blockbusters: Halo: Combat Evolved, Dead or Alive 3, & Project Gotham Racing. In contrast, the launch of the original Playstation in Japan featured just over half a dozen forgettable titles. The only one I got was a train sim: A. IV Evolution.

My assessment from yesterday's show is that the XBox Series X is well above the average in terms of the quality & variety of launch titles. But, I expect the best games available when the XBox Series X launches will be 8th gen titles and not 9th gen titles. The developers will simply not have learned to leverage the potential of the new hardware and the games are bound to have issues because of developer inexperience.

This is simply the nature of the beast. There's a great deal of hype surrounding the arrival of a new console with words like megabytes and teraflops. The Sega Saturn was an impressive peace of machinery with dual CPUs. Unfortunately, developers found them overly complex. So, even though the Saturn had a better array of game titles than the Playstation at launch and was a more powerful machine; developers favored the simpler internal architecture of the Playstation & left the Saturn in the dust.

I think the Series X will be a great console with a great library. I like hype--it generates buzz and enhances the gaming experience. Your disenchantment with yesterday's event was probably because you sensed it was a marketing event and not a true gamer's open house. The bottom line is if you want the early adoption experience, buy at launch. If you want great games, buy a year or two after launch. Console production will have improved--fewer quality issues--and the prices of the console will have diminished.
    🍻🤘I could hug you.
    Very well said.
    I am tired of all the crybaby BS.
    I started on Atari. Then NES. When my parents bought those for me and my brother for Christmas, they cost MORE than an Xbox One S, and ALMOST as much as what we presume the Series X will cost. The level of value of gaming bliss cannot even be compared in ANY logical manner.
    Console gaming has ONLY gotten better.
    *PC has always been the most powerful option, but that gap is now WAY smaller, but PC is still more expensive.
    *Exclusives have ALWAYS been a driving force behind console sales, but some people are not realizing that Gamepass is basically an evolved version of a console exclusive, that also includes ALL of the actual first party games.
    *The multiple versions of consoles allows us to pick what we individually need/want
    * How can anyone be a fan of Halo and not be excited for Infinite?
  • K8 AUSTENK8 AUSTEN265,618
    Posted on 25 July 20 at 02:06
    OMG OOOOMMMMGGGGGG!!!!! FABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has been a long, slow, laborious hiatus - but I'm sure the wait will have been worth it!! I am super pumped for this, the trailer looks delightful - this can't come soon enough for me!
  • Posted on 25 July 20 at 05:30
    Visions of Gore said:
    Allgorhythm said:
    Rista B said:
    After reflecting on the show I think there is a lot of potential shown but I don't think they did a very good job of offering up or getting people excited about the potential.

Either way if their intent was to get me ready to pre-order the Series X or even buy one at launch they failed. I'm excited about the next gen but at this point I see no reason not to wait a year or more for price discounting and/or game bundling to come along before picking one up.
    I buy consoles at launch because I'm an early adopter. Consoles rarely have an impressive library at launch. The original XBox comes to mind as the exception that proves the rule. Its 20 launch titles included the blockbusters: Halo: Combat Evolved, Dead or Alive 3, & Project Gotham Racing. In contrast, the launch of the original Playstation in Japan featured just over half a dozen forgettable titles. The only one I got was a train sim: A. IV Evolution.

My assessment from yesterday's show is that the XBox Series X is well above the average in terms of the quality & variety of launch titles. But, I expect the best games available when the XBox Series X launches will be 8th gen titles and not 9th gen titles. The developers will simply not have learned to leverage the potential of the new hardware and the games are bound to have issues because of developer inexperience.

This is simply the nature of the beast. There's a great deal of hype surrounding the arrival of a new console with words like megabytes and teraflops. The Sega Saturn was an impressive peace of machinery with dual CPUs. Unfortunately, developers found them overly complex. So, even though the Saturn had a better array of game titles than the Playstation at launch and was a more powerful machine; developers favored the simpler internal architecture of the Playstation & left the Saturn in the dust.

I think the Series X will be a great console with a great library. I like hype--it generates buzz and enhances the gaming experience. Your disenchantment with yesterday's event was probably because you sensed it was a marketing event and not a true gamer's open house. The bottom line is if you want the early adoption experience, buy at launch. If you want great games, buy a year or two after launch. Console production will have improved--fewer quality issues--and the prices of the console will have diminished.
    🍻🤘I could hug you.
    Very well said.
    I am tired of all the crybaby BS.
    I started on Atari. Then NES. When my parents bought those for me and my brother for Christmas, they cost MORE than an Xbox One S, and ALMOST as much as what we presume the Series X will cost. The level of value of gaming bliss cannot even be compared in ANY logical manner.
    Console gaming has ONLY gotten better.
    *PC has always been the most powerful option, but that gap is now WAY smaller, but PC is still more expensive.
    *Exclusives have ALWAYS been a driving force behind console sales, but some people are not realizing that Gamepass is basically an evolved version of a console exclusive, that also includes ALL of the actual first party games.
    *The multiple versions of consoles allows us to pick what we individually need/want
    * How can anyone be a fan of Halo and not be excited for Infinite?
    Well said through out! Day one for me no doubt
    If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have Hot Dogs!!!
  • mer0u1mer0u1287,670
    Posted on 25 July 20 at 06:42, Edited on 25 July 20 at 06:49 by mer0u1
    SilentJay76 said:
    mer0u1 said:
    I'm very disappointed. I was expecting Forza Horizon 5, not the rubbish Forza Motorsports...
    There's a difference between wishing and expecting. FH5 likely won't be released until late 2021, so there's no reason to expect an announcement at this time. It was always going to be Forza Motorsport (8.) And just because it's not Horizon doesn't make it "rubbish." It's a different game.

If it makes you feel any better, I think it's safe to expect some new FH4 DLC to coincide with the launch of the Series X.
    Forza Motorsports is boring. Same tracks, same environments, only racing cars. It does not make me dream, nor travel. It will probably be a highly detailed technical demo but I don't need this kind of things. And I don't want it. I hate driving in the real world so no need to do the same in the virtual one.

Sure, there is a big difference between expecting and wishing but this keynote was a huge disappointment and not the one I expected to decide whether or not I will upgrade to the new generation.

Now I have my answer. I will stick to my Xbox One (maybe I will upgrade it to the X model) but Series X is definitely not for me right now since it does not have any game that really is worth the purchase. I bought Xbox One because of Ori and the Blind Forest.
    Each console I bought was only because there was a chosen one game. On Series X, there is not a single one right now.
    I understand people enjoyed what they watched. But not me. I'm 40, with more than 700 games at home, and have been playing on consoles since the mid-80s, and I only like solo games (with exceptions like Monster Hunter).
    Fable, Everwild and The Medium are probably the only games I noticed. But the first one is an already known franchise and The Medium is more like a Silent Hill game. So there is no big surprise.
    Everwild looks great but makes me think about ThatGameCompany and GiantSquid games. So, once again, not a revolution.
    The rest is too common, like games we've already seen or played, or with bad game design, bad level design and poor creativity level. And if graphics and resolution are the only things that matter, I suggest to those people to stop playing games and start watching movies only.
    Gaming concept stands on two essential things : interactivity and entertaining. This keynote shew nothing that way to me, only brainless game designs... No wow effect!
    Do or do not. There is no try.
  • SilentJay76SilentJay76546,260
    Posted on 25 July 20 at 09:13
    mer0u1 said:
    Forza Motorsports is boring.
    No, it's boring to you. Some people enjoy playing it every day for 3 years. It's simply a matter of preference. Not every game appeals to everyone.

Sure, there is a big difference between expecting and wishing but this keynote was a huge disappointment and not the one I expected to decide whether or not I will upgrade to the new generation.

Now I have my answer. I will stick to my Xbox One (maybe I will upgrade it to the X model) but Series X is definitely not for me right now since it does not have any game that really is worth the purchase.
    That's fair enough. I think there are a lot of people with the same thoughts right now. The PS5 show wasn't any better. Nothing wrong with waiting for the developers to catch up to the technology.

I understand people enjoyed what they watched. But not me. I'm 40, with more than 700 games at home, and have been playing on consoles since the mid-80s, and I only like solo games (with exceptions like Monster Hunter).
    Very similar to my gaming "career." Except that I started on C64 and PC. wink

Fable, Everwild and The Medium are probably the only games I noticed. But the first one is an already known franchise and The Medium is more like a Silent Hill game. So there is no big surprise.
    Everwild looks great but makes me think about ThatGameCompany and GiantSquid games. So, once again, not a revolution.
    We really didn't see much gameplay at all. So (for me) it was quite hard to tell what to expect. Some of these games look interesting. But it will all come down to the actual gameplay. Everwild looks cool. But what is it actually about... what do you do in the game?

And if graphics and resolution are the only things that matter, I suggest to those people to stop playing games and start watching movies only.
    Unfortunately most people are still buying "numbers." If it's higher than before, they'll buy it. Nothing else matters. Sad but true. I wonder how long until we get 16K TVs, because 8K obviously sucks.

(I'm still thrilled with my ancient HD plasma, for what it's worth.)

Gaming concept stands on two essential things : interactivity and entertaining. This keynote shew nothing that way to me, only brainless game designs... No wow effect!
    Agreed. But as mentioned, we really didn't see a whole lot of actual gameplay.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm433,978
    Posted on 25 July 20 at 14:30
    SMOLDERPICKEM44 said:
    Great! You and me both.
  • Posted on 25 July 20 at 19:19
    No overly excited about the games, but pretty happy that they are all coming on Game Pass. Good to see Microsoft really adding value to the subscription. Good option rather than having to pay full retail for everyone of those games.
  • Drazer76Drazer76595,037
    Posted on 26 July 20 at 18:17
    The article has picked somethings out as coming to Game Pass.
    But thy said everything previewed is.
  • Posted on 26 July 20 at 21:45
    PG is on Fable. It's time for the studio to stop the FH 4 updates. It's boring to always do the same races, stupid achivement ... The game must retire.
  • GoyetteQCGoyetteQC722,917
    Posted on 26 July 20 at 22:56
    XxThanatosxX said:
    PG is on Fable. It's time for the studio to stop the FH 4 updates. It's boring to always do the same races, stupid achivement ... The game must retire.
    The Fable team is a totally different team from the Forza Horizon one. They have 2 studios.
    Will you love me when there's nothing left to love?
  • Posted on 27 July 20 at 08:42
    The one i think is most promising is Dragon Quest, maybe also Halo Infinte (after the desaster of 5, I'm doubting the series continuation)

Avowed _could_ have been good, if it had a bit more of the actual gameplay in its trailer. As it stands now, it looks like a lot of forged "eye candy" to make it look more awesome than it actually will be later on. What I dislike even more so than bugged releases are unrealistic promises or lies for marketing purposes.

I've been a die-hard fan of Halo, up to 4. Halo 5 was like a gravestone for the series, as such i'm very sceptical about Infinite. The gameplay in the trailer looked very promising... until MC opened the World Map. I really hope this does not become another "Far Cry"-like open world exploration shooter. Boy, i'm so sick of these kind of games. There's no immersion, no feeling of drama or tension in these games.

Fable? Meh... I've played the second one once and dropped any thought of continuing it when they released that strange kinect-controlled spin-off variant "Journey". Fable just never really clicked with me.
  • bennjjeebennjjee367,090
    Posted on 28 July 20 at 06:23
    Allgorhythm said:
    SMOLDERPICKEM44 said:
    Great! You and me both.
    I'm with you guys :-)
  • wildwest08wildwest081,070,147
    Posted on 01 August 20 at 01:59
    Really enjoyed the show and the lineup that Microsoft has coming to game pass. I will be getting the new console day 1 and continue with game pass when it is up. Phil has done a lot better job than those previous to him. He might come off as more enthusiastic than people like, but I think he really cares about doing the best job
  • Lord MidasLord Midas290,792
    Posted on 12 August 20 at 12:59
    Watch Dogs Legion, Senua 2, Stalker 2 and Mad Streets . Very exciting.
    Would you kindly
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.