Game Discussion: Microsoft Flight Simulator

Controller set up?

• SimpsoSimpso394,162
    Posted on 24 August 20 at 07:07
    Hi Guys,
    First time playing a flight sim and was curious as to what controller up you guys use.?
    Ive tried using mouse and keyboard and flinding key pressing to be way over sensitive.
    So tried switch to xbox pad but noticed that you still have to use teh mouse to be able t select instrument panels as they dont show up when looking around with the xbox pad. Unless im missing something, finding it very difficult to play.
    Check out my site.A provider of Unique movie/TV themed canvas, tshirt and poster prints.[b]Http://www.LaughingSeagull.co.uk[/b]
  • Acurate BobAcurate Bob825,357
    Posted on 24 August 20 at 07:55
    All the important ones are on the controller.

cn_LB will lower flaps, cn_RB will raise flaps.
    cn_LT and cn_RT controller the rudder, so turning on the ground is easier.
    cn_Y are the brakes, and cn_Y+cn_B is the ground brake.
    cn_A to increase engine power, cn_B is to reduce power.
    cn_X is the smart view thingy, looking at star landmarks etc.
    cn_dpad quick swaps the view to the panels, windows, seat position etc.
    cn_Y and cn_up/cn_down adjust the trim on the yaw, for fine tuning the attitude.

This is what I have memorised so far. But there are load that are controlled by mouse in the more technical planes. But if you use the d-pad to get to the panels quickly, it's not too bad.
    100,000- 28/10/10. Apache Air Assault = Touchdown 200,000- 25/10/15. HALO 5 = Sentinels 300,000- 21/04/19 Fledgling Summoner = Final Fantasy VII
  • SimpsoSimpso394,162
    Posted on 24 August 20 at 12:14, Edited on 24 August 20 at 12:19 by Simpso
    Acurate Bob said:
    All the important ones are on the controller.

cn_LB will lower flaps, cn_RB will raise flaps.
    cn_LT and cn_RT controller the rudder, so turning on the ground is easier.
    cn_Y are the brakes, and cn_Y+cn_B is the ground brake.
    cn_A to increase engine power, cn_B is to reduce power.
    cn_X is the smart view thingy, looking at star landmarks etc.
    cn_dpad quick swaps the view to the panels, windows, seat position etc.
    cn_Y and cn_up/cn_down adjust the trim on the yaw, for fine tuning the attitude.

This is what I have memorised so far. But there are load that are controlled by mouse in the more technical planes. But if you use the d-pad to get to the panels quickly, it's not too bad.
    This great thank you.
    So if i use the dpad to navigate the instrument panels can i operate any of the switches or is that when i have to switch to using the mouse?
    Check out my site.A provider of Unique movie/TV themed canvas, tshirt and poster prints.[b]Http://www.LaughingSeagull.co.uk[/b]
    Posted on 24 August 20 at 12:58
    That's the point I use the mouse.

Use the d-pad to make the view go to the instrument I need, then use the mouse to interact with any dials or check them.

Then just go back to your preferred window view.
    100,000- 28/10/10. Apache Air Assault = Touchdown 200,000- 25/10/15. HALO 5 = Sentinels 300,000- 21/04/19 Fledgling Summoner = Final Fantasy VII
  • SimpsoSimpso394,162
    Posted on 24 August 20 at 14:19
    Acurate Bob said:
    That's the point I use the mouse.

Use the d-pad to make the view go to the instrument I need, then use the mouse to interact with any dials or check them.

Then just go back to your preferred window view.
    Got it . Really helpful. Actually managed to take off and land in the training missions now.
    Just got to get used to pressing the buttons with finesse instead of like I would in an fps :D
    Posted on 24 August 20 at 14:54
    I'm glad it helped. I found the KB alone a little hard to use, then again this is really meant to be played with a flight stick not a keyboard.

My pad will do it enough for me. Have fun...
  • DinocycleDinocycle338,165
    Posted on 03 September 20 at 23:36, Edited on 03 September 20 at 23:36 by Dinocycle
    I found the keyboard was very digital. The yoke would just go more and more with each push and not recenter. I get it, but there was no inbetween for each movement. almost an all or nothing feeling. I did manage to land though, which is good.

prob get flight stick.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads