Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Touhou Luna Nights: Game Pass first impressions

  • Czech FalconCzech Falcon431,071
    Posted on 05 September 20 at 22:52
    Honestly couldn’t read past the sixth or seventh paragraph, it’s so poorly written. At a loss as to how anyone could enjoy this style of writing for a review
  • Posted on 05 September 20 at 23:04
    Game is fine, but the article brings up too many other games which aren't relevant to game in question. Also how does this game even resemble the genre in question.

    I would sincerely consider next time leaving other universes out, especially X-man kinda cringed hard when you brought that up.

    People like the style of writing since it's written how a teen would write it and that's so "cool".
    Weirdflex: #1 0'13"25 Boulder Harbour A track in Truck Racer
  • Zorlac0666Zorlac0666184,175
    Posted on 05 September 20 at 23:06, Edited on 05 September 20 at 23:07 by Zorlac0666
    Redanian said:
    Zorlac0666 said:
    Redanian said:
    Zorlac0666 said:
    That type of enemy placement is exactly like every other static metroidvania game.
    What the hell is a 'static metroidvania'?
    Symphony of the Night is static meaning it doesn't change when you exit and re-enter a room. So is bloodstained for example.
    I don't mean to call you a liar, but I'm fairly certain you just made that definition up.
    Tell me I made it up again. It fits the style of Symphony, Bloodstained, and this game perfectly.

    static
    [ˈstadik]
    ADJECTIVE
    lacking in movement, action, or change, especially in a way viewed as undesirable or uninteresting.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/zorlac Please subscribe!! Xbox live Zorlac0666, Steam-Zorlac666 battle.net Zorlac#1875 Nintendo network Zorlac666
  • Posted on 06 September 20 at 04:04
    Czech Falcon said:
    Honestly couldn’t read past the sixth or seventh paragraph, it’s so poorly written. At a loss as to how anyone could enjoy this style of writing for a review
    It’s not a review, though. That’s the point. It’s just an anecdotal account of my first few hours with the game. That’s all it’s supposed to be, and the tone is intentionally different to that of a review in order to put some distance between the two. I’ve been writing about games for years and would never dream of approaching a proper review in this style, as I’d hope would be clear from the actual reviews I’ve done. Hopefully they’re not too poorly written for your taste. wink
  • RedanianRedanian651,453
    Posted on 06 September 20 at 05:48
    Zorlac0666 said:
    Redanian said:
    Zorlac0666 said:
    Redanian said:
    Zorlac0666 said:
    That type of enemy placement is exactly like every other static metroidvania game.
    What the hell is a 'static metroidvania'?
    Symphony of the Night is static meaning it doesn't change when you exit and re-enter a room. So is bloodstained for example.
    I don't mean to call you a liar, but I'm fairly certain you just made that definition up.
    Tell me I made it up again. It fits the style of Symphony, Bloodstained, and this game perfectly.

    static
    ['stadik]
    ADJECTIVE
    lacking in movement, action, or change, especially in a way viewed as undesirable or uninteresting.
    I’m well aware of what the word static means.

    However, there is no such sub-genre as a ‘static Metroidvania’ because it seems you completely made it up. The term is not used.

    Hit me up with some gaming articles or reviews where they detail that popular sub-genre by name, yeah?
  • Zorlac0666Zorlac0666184,175
    Posted on 06 September 20 at 07:53
    Redanian said:
    Zorlac0666 said:
    Redanian said:
    Zorlac0666 said:
    Redanian said:
    Zorlac0666 said:
    That type of enemy placement is exactly like every other static metroidvania game.
    What the hell is a 'static metroidvania'?
    Symphony of the Night is static meaning it doesn't change when you exit and re-enter a room. So is bloodstained for example.
    I don't mean to call you a liar, but I'm fairly certain you just made that definition up.
    Tell me I made it up again. It fits the style of Symphony, Bloodstained, and this game perfectly.

    static
    ['stadik]
    ADJECTIVE
    lacking in movement, action, or change, especially in a way viewed as undesirable or uninteresting.
    I’m well aware of what the word static means.

    However, there is no such sub-genre as a ‘static Metroidvania’ because it seems you completely made it up. The term is not used.

    Hit me up with some gaming articles or reviews where they detail that popular sub-genre by name, yeah?
    I didn't say it was a sub-genre did I? You took that from what i said and twisted my words. Point is the description I used works. The games have static enemy placement, and honestly not caring one bit for your stupid argument, my description works.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/zorlac Please subscribe!! Xbox live Zorlac0666, Steam-Zorlac666 battle.net Zorlac#1875 Nintendo network Zorlac666
  • RedanianRedanian651,453
    Posted on 06 September 20 at 08:05
    Zorlac0666 said:
    Redanian said:
    Zorlac0666 said:
    Redanian said:
    Zorlac0666 said:
    Redanian said:
    Zorlac0666 said:
    That type of enemy placement is exactly like every other static metroidvania game.
    What the hell is a 'static metroidvania'?
    Symphony of the Night is static meaning it doesn't change when you exit and re-enter a room. So is bloodstained for example.
    I don't mean to call you a liar, but I'm fairly certain you just made that definition up.
    Tell me I made it up again. It fits the style of Symphony, Bloodstained, and this game perfectly.

    static
    ['stadik]
    ADJECTIVE
    lacking in movement, action, or change, especially in a way viewed as undesirable or uninteresting.
    I’m well aware of what the word static means.

    However, there is no such sub-genre as a ‘static Metroidvania’ because it seems you completely made it up. The term is not used.

    Hit me up with some gaming articles or reviews where they detail that popular sub-genre by name, yeah?
    I didn't say it was a sub-genre did I? You took that from what i said and twisted my words. Point is the description I used works. The games have static enemy placement, and honestly not caring one bit for your stupid argument, my description works.
    Not for Metroidvania games it doesn’t. There is no such thing as static Metroidvanias.
  • Zorlac0666Zorlac0666184,175
    Posted on 07 September 20 at 07:49
    I perfectly describes the games I mentioned. It doesn't matter if it's an "official term or genre". It still fits them. I simply used it as a descriptive term, and that's what it is, and what they are.

    Just like you can call mario games, games about jumping. It's not all that they are, but it certainly does fit them and is a good description.

    Also I won't argue with you anymore. I don't really care if you don't understand how this word works to describe the games. You're petty for arguing about this to begin with. I hope you have a good day and week.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/zorlac Please subscribe!! Xbox live Zorlac0666, Steam-Zorlac666 battle.net Zorlac#1875 Nintendo network Zorlac666
  • FiveWizzFiveWizz425,818
    Posted on 07 September 20 at 08:30
    Dutch x Monster said:
    Game is fine, but the article brings up too many other games which aren't relevant to game in question. Also how does this game even resemble the genre in question.

    I would sincerely consider next time leaving other universes out, especially X-man kinda cringed hard when you brought that up.

    People like the style of writing since it's written how a teen would write it and that's so "cool".
    What about X-Men is cringe? I really don't understand what you mean.

    You don't like X-men? ok fair enough
    OR you think it's cringe mentioned in the context of a combat video game? I don't see the issue. People reference movies all the time especially for combat references. Movies have used every combat "style" going so there's always going to be a comparison to use.

    Just an odd thing to have an issue with :)
  • FiveWizzFiveWizz425,818
    Posted on 07 September 20 at 12:15
    Chill. It's not that deep
  • AnxsighetyAnxsighety1,568,516
    Posted on 07 September 20 at 12:34
    Def worth playing. I played through it yesterday and it's great. I'm not the biggest Metroidvania fan, but the game mechanics keep it way more action focused than exploration heavy and I love it. Deciding when to fight/freeze time and rush rooms is really rewarding. Boss Rush is only a problem because you have to grind to level up after beating the game, which I'm not a fan of. Practicing it will probably get those levels, but it's still annoying.
  • Posted on 07 September 20 at 20:14
    Thinking I might start this one up soon.
  • Czech FalconCzech Falcon431,071
    Posted on 11 September 20 at 20:22
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    Czech Falcon said:
    Honestly couldn’t read past the sixth or seventh paragraph, it’s so poorly written. At a loss as to how anyone could enjoy this style of writing for a review
    It’s not a review, though. That’s the point. It’s just an anecdotal account of my first few hours with the game. That’s all it’s supposed to be, and the tone is intentionally different to that of a review in order to put some distance between the two. I’ve been writing about games for years and would never dream of approaching a proper review in this style, as I’d hope would be clear from the actual reviews I’ve done. Hopefully they’re not too poorly written for your taste. wink
    Maybe I came in expecting the wrong thing? It still is technically a review and was posted up on the main page so it’s a fair assumption to make. I watch a lot of reviewers on YouTube and would expect the same style from them if they did a first thoughts etc but again this is just feedback.

    I did enjoy the analogies used though, it was fresh reading
  • Czech FalconCzech Falcon431,071
    Posted on 11 September 20 at 20:35
    Redanian said:
    Zorlac0666 said:
    Redanian said:
    Zorlac0666 said:
    Redanian said:
    Zorlac0666 said:
    Redanian said:
    Zorlac0666 said:
    That type of enemy placement is exactly like every other static metroidvania game.
    What the hell is a 'static metroidvania'?
    Symphony of the Night is static meaning it doesn't change when you exit and re-enter a room. So is bloodstained for example.
    I don't mean to call you a liar, but I'm fairly certain you just made that definition up.
    Tell me I made it up again. It fits the style of Symphony, Bloodstained, and this game perfectly.

    static
    ['stadik]
    ADJECTIVE
    lacking in movement, action, or change, especially in a way viewed as undesirable or uninteresting.
    I’m well aware of what the word static means.

    However, there is no such sub-genre as a ‘static Metroidvania’ because it seems you completely made it up. The term is not used.

    Hit me up with some gaming articles or reviews where they detail that popular sub-genre by name, yeah?
    I didn't say it was a sub-genre did I? You took that from what i said and twisted my words. Point is the description I used works. The games have static enemy placement, and honestly not caring one bit for your stupid argument, my description works.
    Not for Metroidvania games it doesn’t. There is no such thing as static Metroidvanias.
    I mean, there totally is. Static level design, procedural level design etc are all different ways to design games and a lot of games today use procedurally generated mostly so the dude using static to describe a type of Metroidvania style game is pretty apt. You’re just being a pedantic bastard 😂
  • Zorlac0666Zorlac0666184,175
    Posted on 11 September 20 at 21:04
    Czech Falcon said:
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    Czech Falcon said:
    Honestly couldn’t read past the sixth or seventh paragraph, it’s so poorly written. At a loss as to how anyone could enjoy this style of writing for a review
    It’s not a review, though. That’s the point. It’s just an anecdotal account of my first few hours with the game. That’s all it’s supposed to be, and the tone is intentionally different to that of a review in order to put some distance between the two. I’ve been writing about games for years and would never dream of approaching a proper review in this style, as I’d hope would be clear from the actual reviews I’ve done. Hopefully they’re not too poorly written for your taste. wink
    Maybe I came in expecting the wrong thing? It still is technically a review and was posted up on the main page so it’s a fair assumption to make. I watch a lot of reviewers on YouTube and would expect the same style from them if they did a first thoughts etc but again this is just feedback.

    I did enjoy the analogies used though, it was fresh reading
    The title clearly says first impressions and nothing about a review. Many websites (even ign) do first impression videos, so this isn't a new thing.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/zorlac Please subscribe!! Xbox live Zorlac0666, Steam-Zorlac666 battle.net Zorlac#1875 Nintendo network Zorlac666
  • Posted on 12 September 20 at 00:37, Edited on 12 September 20 at 00:40 by BadRubberPiggy
    Czech Falcon said:
    Maybe I came in expecting the wrong thing? It still is technically a review and was posted up on the main page so it’s a fair assumption to make. I watch a lot of reviewers on YouTube and would expect the same style from them if they did a first thoughts etc but again this is just feedback.

    I did enjoy the analogies used though, it was fresh reading
    Appreciate the measured response, and the feedback. All proper reviews on the site are tagged and titled with ‘review,’ and have a score at the end. We’ve set up tags now for first impressions pieces too, so tags and titles there should again help set expectations. There should also be a recommendation graphic at the end to help distance further from full review content, but it doesn’t look like this is working properly on mobile at the moment, which may not be helping with clarity and has been flagged with the dev team.

    Your YouTube comparison is actually pretty spot-on. These pieces are supposed to be more conversational, more personal, and more playful - more stream-of-consciousnesses stuff like you might see in video form. Sometimes we might go too far, or sometimes not far enough, and it might fall flat. It’s a new format for us so we’re still working out how best to do it, but we’ll find a balance that works eventually! I do want to do more video stuff, so it could even be that this becomes a video series instead at some point if we feel that would work better. I’m keen to try out all kind of new types of content for TA, so we’re rarely gonna get it right the first time. But genuine, reasoned constructive criticism and feedback will help us get there quicker...
  • Czech FalconCzech Falcon431,071
    Posted on 12 September 20 at 22:22
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    Czech Falcon said:
    Maybe I came in expecting the wrong thing? It still is technically a review and was posted up on the main page so it’s a fair assumption to make. I watch a lot of reviewers on YouTube and would expect the same style from them if they did a first thoughts etc but again this is just feedback.

    I did enjoy the analogies used though, it was fresh reading
    Appreciate the measured response, and the feedback. All proper reviews on the site are tagged and titled with ‘review,’ and have a score at the end. We’ve set up tags now for first impressions pieces too, so tags and titles there should again help set expectations. There should also be a recommendation graphic at the end to help distance further from full review content, but it doesn’t look like this is working properly on mobile at the moment, which may not be helping with clarity and has been flagged with the dev team.

    Your YouTube comparison is actually pretty spot-on. These pieces are supposed to be more conversational, more personal, and more playful - more stream-of-consciousnesses stuff like you might see in video form. Sometimes we might go too far, or sometimes not far enough, and it might fall flat. It’s a new format for us so we’re still working out how best to do it, but we’ll find a balance that works eventually! I do want to do more video stuff, so it could even be that this becomes a video series instead at some point if we feel that would work better. I’m keen to try out all kind of new types of content for TA, so we’re rarely gonna get it right the first time. But genuine, reasoned constructive criticism and feedback will help us get there quicker...
    Another reason why I love this site is you guys are able to take positive and negative feedback well, this being the perfect example. I’ll keep an eye on more pieces, who knows it might stick with me as I’m beginning to feel genuine classic game journo is dying out I feel :(
  • Posted on 13 September 20 at 03:53
    Czech Falcon said:
    Another reason why I love this site is you guys are able to take positive and negative feedback well, this being the perfect example. I’ll keep an eye on more pieces, who knows it might stick with me as I’m beginning to feel genuine classic game journo is dying out I feel :(
    Absolutely! Check a few more out and if they’re still not for you, the tags and titles should let you know which articles to avoid! wink

    Intrigued to know what you meant by the last comment, though - could you elaborate? There are a ton of great games journos out there putting in work on amazing stuff... what is it that you think is missing?
  • Czech FalconCzech Falcon431,071
    Posted on 14 September 20 at 20:23
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    Czech Falcon said:
    Another reason why I love this site is you guys are able to take positive and negative feedback well, this being the perfect example. I’ll keep an eye on more pieces, who knows it might stick with me as I’m beginning to feel genuine classic game journo is dying out I feel :(
    Absolutely! Check a few more out and if they’re still not for you, the tags and titles should let you know which articles to avoid! wink

    Intrigued to know what you meant by the last comment, though - could you elaborate? There are a ton of great games journos out there putting in work on amazing stuff... what is it that you think is missing?
    I think mainstream journalism is on the way out. You don't see any more truly honest reviews and there is a lot of bias/external influence (some places you can feel it). TA is one of the few places I still enjoy keeping up with gaming news as it feels genuine.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm469,702
    Posted on 02 October 20 at 18:12
    Thanks, again, for your first impressions. I would not have played this game had I not run across your article. I found it an enjoyable game. Since it's a 2D platformer, I played it with an arcade stick. I feel the game plays better with a stick than with the regular controller though that may only be my personal preference as an older gamer.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.