Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Xbox Hall of Fame: one man's journey into the dark world of quick completions

• CanezzaCanezza204,004
  • Posted on 02 October 20 at 17:11
    Great read, will definitely be giving storm boy a look now. :)
  • vK KnavevK Knave1,159,991
    Posted on 02 October 20 at 17:11
    I hate that in my region, there is people using alt accounts to win. I will try my best to keep up but the highest one has 33k already.
  • Posted on 02 October 20 at 17:13
    Bond is a madman.
    Try and break our cookie system.
  • EveryBaseEveryBase427,938
    Posted on 02 October 20 at 17:18
    I hope you didn't buy all those games just for this... shock
  • Tendoman77Tendoman774,321,676
    Posted on 02 October 20 at 17:21
    If only I didn't went on my major hotstreak of 0-1 hour games back in February in a pointless attempt to be featured in the former "TA Players of the Week" thing that was going on at the time and saved it all for something like this instead lol.
  • Posted on 02 October 20 at 17:24
    I do hope microsoft do a thorough investigation into some people's legitimacy. The forza challenge will undoubtedly get smashed by a modder and language stacks are against the competition TOS since they count as competing in the other region.
  • Har MiggidoHar Miggido1,576,032
    Posted on 02 October 20 at 17:24, Edited on 02 October 20 at 17:29 by Har Miggido
    I thought of using an alt for this but that didn't feel right. I have plenty of free time and cheap score and I could give anyone a run for their money with HOF but I would feel wrong if I had used a alt. My main is the account I'd want recognition for if I won something like this.

Edit. I was thinking about recognition. Imagine getting a personalised item from Microsoft but it has your alt accounts gamer tag on it and not the profile you are known for!?!?!?! That would suck ass right?
  • ChknFingrsChknFingrs1,085,500
    Posted on 02 October 20 at 17:29
    I could go for some discounts on these titles...
  • Posted on 02 October 20 at 17:30
    When I get an xbox (been PC gamer til now) I definitely am not buying games for 'ease' of GS. I want to enjoy any games I play (of course some may enjoy these games like Jack n Jill I suppose?). Not surprised alt accounts would happen given how easy it must be to rack up score.
  • Posted on 02 October 20 at 17:31
    Har Miggido said:
    I thought of using an alt for this but that didn't feel right. I have plenty of free time and cheap score and I could give anyone a run for their money with HOF but I would feel wrong if I had used a alt. My main is the account I'd want recognition for if I won something like this.

Edit. I was thinking about recognition. Imagine getting a personalised item from Microsoft but it has your alt accounts gamer tag on it and not the profile you are known for!?!?!?! That would suck ass right?
    I was in the same boat. I couldn't care less about the free Xbox. I wanted HOF status and on my main tag... that was the real prize. Using an alt just felt like a cheap way to get a free system.
  • TheIrishBeastTheIrishBeast1,712,205
    Posted on 02 October 20 at 17:36
    Stay away from all the ACA games. Some incredibly cheap AI in those fighters and one of the football games I couldn’t play at all and got a refund for.

There is some good easy competition games too though.
  • 粉丝游戏粉丝游戏1,053,740
    Posted on 02 October 20 at 17:38
    looking forward to getting Journey Down tri-set upon discounting sale in the future
  • Har MiggidoHar Miggido1,576,032
    Posted on 02 October 20 at 17:39
    spankyNspronkle said:
    Har Miggido said:

I was in the same boat. I couldn't care less about the free Xbox. I wanted HOF status and on my main tag... that was the real prize. Using an alt just felt like a cheap way to get a free system.
    I'm glad you agree.
  • Posted on 02 October 20 at 17:39
    i really loved storm boy too one of the only games id actually recommend for kids
  • Sol76Sol761,090,300
    Posted on 02 October 20 at 17:39
    WoW , I am one of the few who thinks that this is all kinds of wrong.
    They should not add microtransactions in games , but with this promotion , where lots of people who are vulnerable for this are buying their asses off to get a big ammount of GS for something that is not achievable for 99,9% of the players , is a good and nice thing ? I don’t get it anymore.
  • Rista BRista B750,522
    Posted on 02 October 20 at 17:42, Edited on 02 October 20 at 17:43 by Rista B
    I was stunned to see in the US the top players are over 20k points in a day.
    I got 53 pts in Doom yesterday that was good enough for me. Have nothing against the short easy GS games, I play some of them and enjoyed the story in Winter's Daydream that I did last week.
    Rest in peace Ryan Hayward, a fellow gamer taken too soon.
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong478,981
    Posted on 02 October 20 at 17:45
    Drummer said:
    i really loved storm boy too one of the only games id actually recommend for kids
    It’s based on a popular children’s book (or book series, not sure) so the story is, of course, solid. I imagine there’s room for all the big ones, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and whatnot. You could make Storm Boy quality level games or better out of most.

There are piles of crappy, easy completions out there and I’ve played several. Thankfully most have at least something somewhat interesting about them, even if they failed at their vision (I’m looking at you ELEA). However in the 4-10 hour category I’d argue there are 100s of pretty good to great options.
  • NismoR034NismoR0341,001,093
    Posted on 02 October 20 at 17:49
    “I played it just for the Gamerscore without paying attention to the story“

This right here is my biggest issue with playing the easy games. Don’t get me wrong, it can be immensely satisfying popping achievements in quick succession. Just last night I did four easy games myself. So I’m not trying to dismiss the idea of playing games for score. But as someone who also plays games for their stories, for their worlds and spaces to inhabit, and for the ‘experience’, it hurts to see some people gloss over good games like Edith Finch or Firewatch in favour of scoring as quickly as possible.

Of course not all games justify the time but of the two mentioned in this article, I actually quite liked The Station (haven’t played the other one) and wouldn’t have been in that position if I just sped through it for the easy GS.

I get it, Hall of Fame is a competition so there’s that innate desire to compete, and when things like it aren’t occurring there is still pleasure in scoring high or popping fast. Again, not dismissing anyone playing easy games at the moment, either for HoF or just in general. Merely observing that it’s a shame that some decent stories get overlooked in the process.
  • EveryBaseEveryBase427,938
    Posted on 02 October 20 at 17:59
    NismoR034 said:
    “I played it just for the Gamerscore without paying attention to the story“

This right here is my biggest issue with playing the easy games. Don’t get me wrong, it can be immensely satisfying popping achievements in quick succession. Just last night I did four easy games myself. So I’m not trying to dismiss the idea of playing games for score. But as someone who also plays games for their stories, for their worlds and spaces to inhabit, and for the ‘experience’, it hurts to see some people gloss over good games like Edith Finch or Firewatch in favour of scoring as quickly as possible.

Of course not all games justify the time but of the two mentioned in this article, I actually quite liked The Station (haven’t played the other one) and wouldn’t have been in that position if I just sped through it for the easy GS.

I get it, Hall of Fame is a competition so there’s that innate desire to compete, and when things like it aren’t occurring there is still pleasure in scoring high or popping fast. Again, not dismissing anyone playing easy games at the moment, either for HoF or just in general. Merely observing that it’s a shame that some decent stories get overlooked in the process.
    I felt that way until I used Coffee shop as my LeapFrog game of choice. 5 minutes in and I felt my IQ starting to drop. I now realize some games can be used just for GS as they have nothing else of value to offer but an easy GS. Otherwise trying to play it legit will only be giving you a headache and some drool from their catatonic stories.

But you should at least give them a 5-minute window before quick completion.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.