Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Xbox Hall of Fame: one man's journey into the dark world of quick completions

• LeXXuzLeXXuz951,614
    Posted on 03 October 20 at 06:28
    Great article to read. clap Two thumbs up!

Now consider how much money a player has to spend to play all this crap you played yesterday.
    Crap he doesn't really care about and he's not really interested in. roll

The big winner here is Microsoft. They make a lot of money with this so called 'contest'. It kind of reminds me of those stupid Radio/TV shows where people have to call expensive phone numbers for a slim chance to win a price. And the station is the big winner by getting lots of money from those calls. Way more money than the prices are worth. facepalm
  • SkinfasstSkinfasst444,845
    Posted on 03 October 20 at 06:48
    Addicted2RPGs said:
    Some games that I personally feel that are quick (0-2 hours) but are great stories or just enjoyable to play are:

Tacoma
    What Remains of Edith Finch
    Gone Home
    The Park
    The Gardens Between
    Distraint 1 & 2
    Contrast
    Transference
    Abzu

Hope this gives you a little variety to enjoy your climb through some gamerscore instead of just the sludge that is quick and easy gamerscore.
    If Tacoma wasn't buggy as hell I might agree with you. Abzu is crap.
  • The AllslayerThe Allslayer1,160,269
    Posted on 03 October 20 at 07:18
    Ace said:
    Just a heads up for those complaining about alt accounts, in the rules for the HoF it states newly created accounts are ineligible so Microsoft will be looking for alts competing and denying them.
    I'm sure the majority of them aren't using new accounts, I've got an alt that's like 3-4 years old.
  • darkwing1232darkwing12321,203,859
    Posted on 03 October 20 at 07:54
    There have been numerous games that I've played solely for the easy completion that I thoroughly enjoyed. Lot of the 2d platformers bring a great sense of nostalgia to the Super Mario Bros 3 era. Sure there were plenty of duds but for the most part, they are usually more than worth the 4-5 bucks you spend on them.
  • darkwing1232darkwing12321,203,859
    Posted on 03 October 20 at 07:57
    The Allslayer said:
    Ace said:
    Just a heads up for those complaining about alt accounts, in the rules for the HoF it states newly created accounts are ineligible so Microsoft will be looking for alts competing and denying them.
    I'm sure the majority of them aren't using new accounts, I've got an alt that's like 3-4 years old.
    This. I have an alt account that has less than 4k gamerscore that I made close to a decade ago. If I truly was going to go after the big prizes, I would utilize that account along with every easy game I've ever completed on my main account.
  • Only1PJAOnly1PJA346,883
    Posted on 03 October 20 at 09:24
    I'm just after the 10,000 MS reward points for 10,000gs - I'm under no illusions about being anywhere near the top of any leaderboards but I will gladly use cheap & easy games to get me to my goal. If I happen to enjoy some along the way then great, if any of them frustrate me I'll quit out and come back to them later (or not - I'm not bothered in the slightest about completion ratios)
  • Catatonic NaliCatatonic Nali1,149,265
    Posted on 03 October 20 at 10:06
    The range in quality across the sub 3 hour completions is ridiculous.

On the plus side you've got some truly excellent narrative exploration games, visual novels, art games and short puzzlers/platformers and a number of these (Gone Home, Abzu, Brothers, Gang Beasts etc etc etc) could be considered up there with the GOATs and just happen to be short experiences or have easy achievements.

But the dark side is the dozens of games that would be (and probably are in a lot of cases) free on phones/tablets or sites like Newgrounds. As a general rule avoid anything that looks like it's got tons of levels and a 3 star scoring system for every level. Most of these seem to be complete rubbish that get shat out onto every platform possible. Overcooked notwithstanding.
    Remember when RoboCop shot that dude in the dick?
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 03 October 20 at 10:44
    Great article and may aswell and say it now: We’ll done Bond and enjoy your XBSX 👍🏻💪🏻
    #illholdyourbeeryeah,
  • tsu4311tsu4311256,995
    Posted on 03 October 20 at 12:28
    I enjoy cheevo hunting but grinding through trash titles simply for gamerscore sounds terrible
  • A1exRDA1exRD861,905
    Posted on 03 October 20 at 12:36
    Thank you for this article. It's fun to read and I find it much more useful than the simple list of 300 we had before... even though these aren't my kind of games and I'm unlikely to play any of them.

Great to hear about your (temporary) adventures down the rabbit hole!
  • ShulammShulamm1,530,199
    Posted on 03 October 20 at 13:55
    Good and funny story to read. Although when I read at the beginning "when I finished work" I knew instantly you are not gonna win this contest 😆
  • Posted on 03 October 20 at 14:32
    Haha, makes a mockery of the whole system. Ratailika, rofl, they try and make it sound like the best gamer will win but of course it will come down to Ratailika games :P Those games should have a cap of 200 points. I'd like to see a list of all games bought after the starting date to see how much this is going to cost people. Gotta give it to MS this is a win, win move for them, imagine the boost in sales for the easy games that people will buy for this competition. Impossible to win without dropping a fair few quid on this, ker'ching! You have no chance if all you are relying on is your backlog or games in your library. Now's the time to whip out your Hannah Montannas, Hannah and Conan walking down the street!!....Is it even completions? You could just rinse as many as you could out of one game and then move on to the next Ratailika when they become to difficult to get quickly enough. This tritle will cost someone a lot of monmey, depending where you stand on the social ladder I suppose :P
  • Y2Kasper10Y2Kasper101,830,739
    Posted on 03 October 20 at 15:11, Edited on 03 October 20 at 15:12 by Y2Kasper10
    This is a disappointing article. I was hoping for more feeling and the hows/whys of the situation. You basically just told what you played and a brief explanation of the game. Pointless.

I was hoping you'd talk about how dropping $10 for 20 minutes wasn't worth it. How the games gave you no sense of accomplishment. How getting 100% in a harder game, even one that "only" takes 10 hours gives you a sense of pride but the short games can make you feel shame. Write SOMETHING of substance. This article was the Ratalaika of stories.
    I like stuff
  • Posted on 03 October 20 at 15:32
    I don't think I'll ever play a Ratalaika game, reading about Sean playing them was all I needed!
  • EarthboundXEarthboundX1,886,274
    Posted on 03 October 20 at 15:41, Edited on 03 October 20 at 15:44 by EarthboundX
    Just finished The Station, actually quite enjoyed it. it's about a 2 hour game, it's only 20-30 minutes if you follow the walkthrough and skip everything, which I would recommend you not do.
  • I ASK NO ONEI ASK NO ONE767,600
    Posted on 03 October 20 at 16:45
    That was a good article lol I have done them all except Journey Down. It's difficult trying to rack up points while not having much time to stop and play. I have scored 2200 points in the past 2 days so I'm on schedule for the 10k by the 19th. I likely won't go beyond that. I'm good with the quests and free MS money associated with it.
    I ASK NO ONE
  • EveryBaseEveryBase427,938
    Posted on 03 October 20 at 16:53
    EarthboundX said:
    SheBeatsYou said:
    NismoR034 said:
    “I played it just for the Gamerscore without paying attention to the story“

This right here is my biggest issue with playing the easy games. Don’t get me wrong, it can be immensely satisfying popping achievements in quick succession. Just last night I did four easy games myself. So I’m not trying to dismiss the idea of playing games for score. But as someone who also plays games for their stories, for their worlds and spaces to inhabit, and for the ‘experience’, it hurts to see some people gloss over good games like Edith Finch or Firewatch in favour of scoring as quickly as possible.

Of course not all games justify the time but of the two mentioned in this article, I actually quite liked The Station (haven’t played the other one) and wouldn’t have been in that position if I just sped through it for the easy GS.

I get it, Hall of Fame is a competition so there’s that innate desire to compete, and when things like it aren’t occurring there is still pleasure in scoring high or popping fast. Again, not dismissing anyone playing easy games at the moment, either for HoF or just in general. Merely observing that it’s a shame that some decent stories get overlooked in the process.
    I felt that way until I used Coffee shop as my LeapFrog game of choice. 5 minutes in and I felt my IQ starting to drop. I now realize some games can be used just for GS as they have nothing else of value to offer but an easy GS. Otherwise trying to play it legit will only be giving you a headache and some drool from their catatonic stories.

But you should at least give them a 5-minute window before quick completion.
    I agree for sure, so many of us are just zooming through games without paying attention.

But at the same time...there are games that you start playing and realize they just aren't for you, but you still want to complete them.

That just happened to me with Fearful Symmetry & The Cursed Prince, within 2-3 levels I knew I wasn't a fan. So I ended up following the walkthrough word for word, which is something I pretty much never do. I just imputed the movement commands, sometimes not even looking at the screen. Not proud of it, as I'm the type of person who likes to play games for games first, and the achievements are a fun bonus.
    That game is pretty difficult I had to use a guide on a few levels my brain just can't handle watching both sides lol. In your defence that game has no story really so not missing out on much. wink
  • AnxsighetyAnxsighety1,871,246
    Posted on 03 October 20 at 21:09, Edited on 03 October 20 at 21:09 by Anxsighety
    I’ve made it a legitimate mission of mine to never touch a Rat game unless it’s actually kinda fun. I’m not against an easy 1000 here and there, but they are single-handedly ruining gamerscore and achievements.

I actually wish I could delete some of the easy games I’ve done.
  • SqueezefanSqueezefan773,294
    Posted on 03 October 20 at 22:43
    Ratalaika achievements are fake and company should be banned from making these crap 15 minute completions. Just dont let this company have any achievements in their games. See if sales continue
  • SqueezefanSqueezefan773,294
    Posted on 03 October 20 at 22:47
    Anxsighety said:
    I’ve made it a legitimate mission of mine to never touch a Rat game unless it’s actually kinda fun. I’m not against an easy 1000 here and there, but they are single-handedly ruining gamerscore and achievements.

I actually wish I could delete some of the easy games I’ve done.
    Agreed these take the pss. Someone a year ago was level with my gamerscore 1 year later he is 150000 points higher than me. Using walkthroughs obviously doesnt like the games.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.