Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Xbox Hall of Fame: one man's journey into the dark world of quick completions

• Posted on 03 October 20 at 23:35
    Unfortunately many people are not playing anymore the games for fun instead of all. I personally enjoy the game and after i finished the game i would try to do the achievements.
  • SilentJay76SilentJay76717,808
    Posted on 04 October 20 at 09:56
    SheBeatsYou said:
    I think its a valuable lesson although id be in the minority here. But 8000 GS with one night of work speeding thru games and however much money out and still nothing to show for on the Leader Boards is a great metaphor for how little value GS has.
    Well, you could say that about anything. You won your tennis match against a buddy at your local club yesterday? How pointless. Until you beat Novak Djokovic in the French Open final, your wins have no meaning. You have a stamp collection? How cute. But until you buy the Blue Mauritius for $1million, your collection sucks.

Very, very few people (quite literally one in a million) will ever compete for top honours in Gamerscore. Whether all-time or in a competition like this. Compete with your friends if you want, enjoy your own GS boost, reach your own milestones - and have a laugh at the insane scores put up by others.

If you feel like you always have to compete with the elite, you're going to suffer an awful lot of disappointment in life...
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy587,868
    Posted on 04 October 20 at 18:18
    Buying your way to a "free" xbox seems rather... counter intuitive
    Life, it's funny that way
  • Angels Kill TooAngels Kill Too1,836,224
    Posted on 04 October 20 at 20:38
    Tired of garbage games, people stacking, GS means nothing anymore; lost a lot of motivation because of it.
    Everything will be fine in the End... If it's not fine... Then it's not the End...
  • DementedSquire7DementedSquire71,378,873
    Posted on 04 October 20 at 22:34
    Top 2 are absolutely killing it in the UK. Currently sat 30k behind them, trying to keep up with the pack but I don't know for how long since I am not going to spend money in this competition, just using the unstarted and started games in my backlog at the moment
    Twitter = Dementedsquire7 "If an injury is to be done to a man it should be so severe his vengeance need not be feared"
  • vSullyvSully1,240,255
    Posted on 05 October 20 at 00:35
    1.0xx ratio shovelware has ruined the gamerscore system.
  • AnToN XnAnToN Xn576,460
    Posted on 05 October 20 at 08:45
    At the beginning of the Xbox One I was happy that every game had 1000G, but I think now it was a mistake, because the number of Gs a gamer has isn’t really representative. Now I rather focus on ratio and completion, even if doing that you’re not getting much G, it’s the only way I can feel a true challenge. I will now chose an hard game to complete over 10 0-1 hour games, because when I finish one, I’m proud of what I’ve succeed.
  • JOHN SWFCJOHN SWFC487,412
    Posted on 05 October 20 at 09:43
    Absolutely crazy that some people are near 100k after just 4 days. My only intention is to get as much of the 10k as I can, it feels like I've been grinding yet I've got round to playing a couple of the easier shorter completions and I'm still only on about 3k!

I've never even heard of Ratalaika until I read this article. How much do these games cost, about £3-4 each? So it's highly likely that somebody's going to be spending way more than the price of a new Xbox X just to get a "free" Xbox X and the "honour" of being in the "I spent 19 days spending a fortune and boring myself silly playing terrible games" Hall Of Fame!

And even more tragically, there are going to be people who have spent similar fortunes grinding terrible games and will win... sweet FA.
  • Posted on 05 October 20 at 09:57
    LeXXuz said:
    Great article to read. clap Two thumbs up!

Now consider how much money a player has to spend to play all this crap you played yesterday.
    Crap he doesn't really care about and he's not really interested in. roll

The big winner here is Microsoft. They make a lot of money with this so called 'contest'. It kind of reminds me of those stupid Radio/TV shows where people have to call expensive phone numbers for a slim chance to win a price. And the station is the big winner by getting lots of money from those calls. Way more money than the prices are worth. facepalm
    Best post here.
    I think that was very well said.
  • NetechmaNetechma553,327
    Posted on 05 October 20 at 17:29
    SheBeatsYou said:
    I hope you didn't buy all those games just for this... shock
    the only reason anyone buys ratalika is for the cult following. These titles are secretly all classics and time will show that they're pioneers in their respective genres. 11/10 graphics 10/10 story 11/10 gameplay I'm hoping the price doesn't spike when everyone figures out what wonderful gems they are. I uninstalled my final fantasy library after playing super wiloo demake for the second time. It's beautiful and charming. It makes for special conversation with friends and family later. I'm excited for when it gets its book/movie deal!
    please check out my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DidntknowIwantedthis/
  • EveryBaseEveryBase427,938
    Posted on 05 October 20 at 17:51
    Netechma said:
    SheBeatsYou said:
    I hope you didn't buy all those games just for this... shock
    the only reason anyone buys ratalika is for the cult following. These titles are secretly all classics and time will show that they're pioneers in their respective genres. 11/10 graphics 10/10 story 11/10 gameplay I'm hoping the price doesn't spike when everyone figures out what wonderful gems they are. I uninstalled my final fantasy library after playing super wiloo demake for the second time. It's beautiful and charming. It makes for special conversation with friends and family later. I'm excited for when it gets its book/movie deal!
    laugh I have yet to take that plunge.
  • wildwest08wildwest081,584,220
    Posted on 06 October 20 at 04:25
    Enjoyed the article. I enjoy easy and "harder" games alike. I knew when I read the Hall of Fame stuff I would have no chance with my work/life balance. Already have my Series X pre ordered and can't wait!!!
  • Dusk X2Dusk X21,732,864
    Posted on 07 October 20 at 00:57
    My favorite Ratalika game is One Night Stand. Made me laugh my butt off.
  • lotusfroglotusfrog230,180
    Posted on 07 October 20 at 07:45
    Rista B said:
    lotusfrog said:
    Rista B said:
    I was stunned to see in the US the top players are over 20k points in a day.
    I got 53 pts in Doom yesterday that was good enough for me. Have nothing against the short easy GS games, I play some of them and enjoyed the story in Winter's Daydream that I did last week.
    Ah, Doom has weird numbered achievements. Thank you, good to know. I nearly considered playing this :)
    There's only two. The first one is very easy to get and I don't think the second one is all that difficult either since it is just hitting a required number of demon kills. Solution says you will get it about halfway through the campaign, so unless you don't even think you would make it halfway through the game I wouldn't let these put you off.
    Ah okay, good to know, thank you. I'll keep that in mind if end up being drawn to play it again.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 13 October 20 at 09:25
    got storm boy. finished it. deleted it. forgot about it until now.
    maximadfox
  • Posted on 14 October 20 at 23:25
    I was crying laughing at some parts of your article! Thank you for the good read. I started plying Game Pass games because people in my friend's list skyrocketed past me and I thought they were trying to challenge me. I then learned (9,200 GS later and playing all the same games they were playing) why they were skyrocketing past me. Needless to say, registering after all those achievements didn't count. So these games that you listed had been on my list of easy achievement games for just such an occasion.
    AssassinSean426
  • sorininfsorininf310,450
    Posted on 15 October 20 at 20:04
    Nice article, good read! In the meantime, your hall-of-fame-concurrence finished 5 games :-)
    Most important about all this: when you put on that console, dont let it run you. It is still, for most of us, free-time and shouldn't be a hustle. Too much stress, pressure and work being pushed on all of us from everywhere. At least that screen time gotta be chill :-) Peace Boys and Girls!
  • DiegoTanDiegoTan457,627
    Posted on 20 October 20 at 10:42
    I don't even bother, as Poland is - as always - left out of the fun. God damn Microsoft. Sony, here I come...
    This website is great!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 21 October 20 at 10:25
    DiegoTan said:
    I don't even bother, as Poland is - as always - left out of the fun. God damn Microsoft. Sony, here I come...
    You're not alone, mate. I'm from HK, which was also left out of the fun.
    But even if HK were included I probably wouldn't have joined, because I as a completionist can't bring myself to rush through a game solely for the Gamerscores.
  • Posted on 24 October 20 at 01:52
    Play games for fun. Remember that always, remember that in your heart.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.