Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Xbox Hall of Fame: how mayonnaise made me lose my appetite for achievements

• Capn BeavCapn Beav730,892
    Posted on 06 October 20 at 18:07
    This is exactly why I decided not to take part in the contest. I have my share of easy completions (and probably a couple other people's shares too), but the idea of hammering out a bunch of them just to find myself nowhere near the top of the list was just too easy to foresee.
  • Vok 250Vok 250278,363
    Posted on 06 October 20 at 20:00
    I wonder if quick completions are the correct approach. Maybe Bond OO7 is just targeting quick GamerScore. whether that's 20G for just booting a game, or 1000G for the completion. Like it may be more effective to play something like 90% of a game and skip the time consuming cheevos.
  • tsu4311tsu4311203,471
    Posted on 06 October 20 at 21:05
    This sounds like hell
  • DeceptiveTenDeceptiveTen998,351
    Posted on 06 October 20 at 21:21
    BobBoxBody29 said:
    So spend $1,000 in cheap games to get a $500 console? Hmm...
    Well, Microsoft had to figure out a way to make up that 7.5 billion they spent. What better way to get people to spend their money offer a free Xbox
    deceptiveten
  • Posted on 06 October 20 at 21:23
    Dutch x Monster said:
    I cannot bring myself to spend money on a bunch of crappers glad I never did the Tracks + Surviving Mars games on GP I can still do the insanely boring Telltale games and the Batman telltale that was GWG months ago, but dang it why not include 360 games then I can finally bum rush my 8-10hr backlog on there but alas shitty X1 games it is
    360 games do count towards the reward points.
    Grand Slam Tennis 2 world #1
  • Posted on 06 October 20 at 22:22
    I love my GS but I won’t buy a game that does not interest me, nor ignore a game due hard to get. Achievements, but I must admit I always try to at least get every achievement, even games it turns out I hate must be completed or it was shit and I feel I lost money lol.
  • AcaElic86AcaElic86154,248
    Posted on 07 October 20 at 02:56
    Certain lines should not be crossed. Finishing a thousand junk games is embarrassing. And it's more embarrassing to be remembered as the one who won playing only junk games laugh
  • EarthboundXEarthboundX1,510,668
    Posted on 07 October 20 at 04:29
    AcaElic86 said:
    Certain lines should not be crossed. Finishing a thousand junk games is embarrassing. And it's more embarrassing to be remembered as the one who won playing only junk games laugh
    Well what if they liked them? I've played quite a few quick and easy games that I've enjoyed.
  • SilentJay76SilentJay76585,644
    Posted on 07 October 20 at 10:14
    monkeybiscitz said:
    Maybe I am in the minority here, but I do not understand why people would pay money for a quick completion, like all the Ratailka games, for example. I get that we are all achievement hunters here but, first and foremost, I am a gamer that enjoys good video games. A game that costs $5 to complete in 20 minutes and never touch again seems weird. That is just my opinion.
    Well, some people probably enjoy boosting their Gamerscore more than playing proper games. Which is fine. Sadly, others have simply lost all perspective and should really consider getting some professional help. It's an addiction.

If you have fun boosting, that's great! But if you value your Gamerscore/completions above all else, including actually enjoying yourself, then you might have a problem.

For me personally, the occasional easy completion can be a nice break between more serious games. The important thing is that you have a good time, no matter what or how you choose to play.

crewdy#4923 said:
    I get the same feeling when people say they won’t play a great game because X achievement is too hard or it has an optional multiplayer with achievements. Seems alien to me... why not play it because it’s just a great game?!
    Exactly. "Gears 5 is garbage, I'm not doing Seriously 5.0!" Uhm... no, it's not garbage. It's actually pretty decent. Just enjoy the game and forget about the ridiculous achievements if you don't enjoy them. No one will think any less of you.
  • MastaGusMastaGus726,662
    Posted on 07 October 20 at 11:45
    Nice read!
  • CasualExileCasualExile1,476,673
    Posted on 07 October 20 at 12:00
    I think I'll be joining the rest of the burnouts on the site fairly soon.

It used to be I could rack up 15-20 completions a month playing nothing but the quick and mediocre. Now it seems I'm mostly moving into longer completions which I (mostly) enjoy, with a mindless grind thrown in every now and again that doesn't require attention.
    Sleeping is for sensible people, which is why I don't do it.
  • Posted on 07 October 20 at 13:08
    TheGillesMuller said:
    Dutch x Monster said:
    I cannot bring myself to spend money on a bunch of crappers glad I never did the Tracks + Surviving Mars games on GP I can still do the insanely boring Telltale games and the Batman telltale that was GWG months ago, but dang it why not include 360 games then I can finally bum rush my 8-10hr backlog on there but alas shitty X1 games it is
    360 games do count towards the reward points.
    Ah that's great to know this was not clear to me since it listed Xbox 1 games in the post for hall off fame. I'll deffo do a couple short ones then.
    Weirdflex: #1 0'13"25 Boulder Harbour A track in Truck Racer
  • Posted on 07 October 20 at 14:48
    Corrupt XBA said:
    Everyone games differently, everybody enjoys different things. Those endorphins are released by different triggers in different brains.
    Bla, bla, bla to try to justify what anybody sincere enough to admit it knows. This is the sick side of playing videogames. It's not healthy to the body nor the mind. It makes little sense to spend money and specially time on something you're not enjoying. Is gaming fun or is gaming work? Finally, no, the final recompense (virtual badge/score points) is hardly satisfying enough in the end to counter the amount of life time you've wasted putting yourself thru needless, senseless crap. Ah, this "modern" society...
    To do or not to do. THAT is the question.
  • Y2Kasper10Y2Kasper101,498,475
    Posted on 07 October 20 at 15:23, Edited on 07 October 20 at 16:56 by Y2Kasper10
    I'm interested in some stats. Bond007 managed to play all these 1 hour games to completion and in the middle of all that, finished up a game he apparently played for 85 hours? Plus the game requires like 700 online matches, but only 3 tracked gamers have unlocked it? So he and 1 or 2 other people just boosted for like 40 hours? I find it doubtful he devoted 80+ hours to a game and then just went back for 1 or 2 achievements to finish it off in the middle of a contest. Fishy IMO
    I like stuff
  • Y2Kasper10Y2Kasper101,498,475
    Posted on 07 October 20 at 15:25
    EarthboundX said:
    Well what if they liked them? I've played quite a few quick and easy games that I've enjoyed.
    For sure. Storm Boy was a touching story and one of the more memorable games I played. Gravity Duck was really fun for an hour. Sure most of these games have low replay draw, but some are quite entertaining even if it's just an hour. Some are great to play for the achievements and then let your kids play them after that for even longer.
    I like stuff
  • EarthboundXEarthboundX1,510,668
    Posted on 07 October 20 at 15:49, Edited on 07 October 20 at 15:50 by EarthboundX
    Y2Kasper10 said:
    I'm interested in some stats. Bond007 managed to play all these 1 hour games to completion and in the middle of all that, finished up a game he apparently played for 85 hours? Plus the game requires like 700 online matches, but only 3 tracked gamers have unlocked it? So he and 1 or 2 other people just booted for like 40 hours? I find it doubtful he devoted 80+ hours to a game and then just went back for 1 or 2 achievements to finish it off in the middle of a contest. Fishy IMO
    Yeah, I've wondered if these accounts are being shared and played 24/7. Though are there even rules against that for this?
  • Corrupt XBACorrupt XBA2,392,144
    Posted on 07 October 20 at 16:04
    togethawiistand said:
    Corrupt XBA said:
    Everyone games differently, everybody enjoys different things. Those endorphins are released by different triggers in different brains.
    Bla, bla, bla to try to justify what anybody sincere enough to admit it knows. This is the sick side of playing videogames. It's not healthy to the body nor the mind. It makes little sense to spend money and specially time on something you're not enjoying. Is gaming fun or is gaming work? Finally, no, the final recompense (virtual badge/score points) is hardly satisfying enough in the end to counter the amount of life time you've wasted putting yourself thru needless, senseless crap. Ah, this "modern" society...
    I'm sorry my opinion is clearly not aligned with your somewhat blinkered view

Ho
  • Posted on 07 October 20 at 17:15
    SilentJay76 said:
    monkeybiscitz said:
    Maybe I am in the minority here, but I do not understand why people would pay money for a quick completion, like all the Ratailka games, for example. I get that we are all achievement hunters here but, first and foremost, I am a gamer that enjoys good video games. A game that costs $5 to complete in 20 minutes and never touch again seems weird. That is just my opinion.
    Well, some people probably enjoy boosting their Gamerscore more than playing proper games. Which is fine. Sadly, others have simply lost all perspective and should really consider getting some professional help. It's an addiction.

If you have fun boosting, that's great! But if you value your Gamerscore/completions above all else, including actually enjoying yourself, then you might have a problem.

For me personally, the occasional easy completion can be a nice break between more serious games. The important thing is that you have a good time, no matter what or how you choose to play.
    Exactly! Achievements shouldn't be the primary reason you game. It should be that you game for fun and this is a supplemental bonus. A virtual "job well done." If you do not enjoy the game but fell the NEED for achievements, you may have an unhealthy habit :p
  • DirtyI30DirtyI301,045,528
    Posted on 07 October 20 at 18:02
    Wouldn't it be funny if the HoF was just a ploy to catch all the profile sharers? Cuz, let's face it, that's what is going on here.
  • KexolKexol423,770
    Posted on 07 October 20 at 18:44
    DirtyI30 said:
    Wouldn't it be funny if the HoF was just a ploy to catch all the profile sharers? Cuz, let's face it, that's what is going on here.
    You have a point lol
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.