Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Oxford University study finds playing video games can contribute to positive wellbeing

• Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 16 November 20 at 19:29
    Oxford University researchers worked with EA and Nintendo on a study about video games and wellbeing
    Very credible research. I was about to joke with "who funded the reserach" when I read the title. I smiled when I read the first paragraph.

You can stimulate the brain in many ways. I love to make maps for Portal 2 on Steam. Not to play them, but to design puzzles around a theme. I did the same with maps for Door Kickers (an indie tactical top down shooter).
    Learning the editor was more fun than playing the game. Becoming fluent was even more rewarding. Design of the maps was awesome. Creating maps was enthralling.

You can do origami, you can learn graphical design, you can learn programming, you can learn web-design, you can play musical instrument, you can learn a language or you can do crosswords.

Funny research. It's like doctors sellouts recommending a drug/medicine (because they were paid to do so).
    FRAG'EM ALL
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm653,393
    Posted on 16 November 20 at 20:33
    playing video games can contribute to positive wellbeing
    I could have told them that decades ago. headspin
  • Posted on 16 November 20 at 20:38
    TheGillesMuller said:
    Try 4 hours of GTAO or any online game with those Brazilians who let you hear their entire house through their mic without using mute and see what your conclusions are then.
    Hahaha thats true, I'm from Brazil and the people here are crazy
  • Posted on 16 November 20 at 20:41, Edited on 16 November 20 at 20:44 by AnyBanterAbout
    Try living with a psychopath literally screaming at Fifa through your wall for 8 hours a day, during a lockdown. Not so good for my wellbeing. shock

Gaming in general is superb though.
  • Mossberg AZMossberg AZ263,067
    Posted on 16 November 20 at 21:17
    No Sh*t
  • wildwest08wildwest081,831,097
    Posted on 16 November 20 at 21:29
    Showing this to my wife....
  • Skanker irlSkanker irl1,032,565
    Posted on 16 November 20 at 21:32
    Agree.
    It's just an activity. If you overdo it, it can have negative effects. If you don't, it can have positive effects.
    Pick it up, pick it up, pick it up!
  • Posted on 16 November 20 at 21:41
    Sponsored research. Reminds me of how coke and pepsi funded research saying sodas don't contribute to obesity.

Some people have literally no life outside of gaming and no relationships to speak of. The proof is all the guys who play magic the gathering and games nonstop to the point their existence is nothing but an escape.

I just hope tax dollars didn't touch this research, because it's ridiculous.
  • Christoph 5782Christoph 57821,029,298
    Posted on 16 November 20 at 23:01
    Ostrowidzki1989 said:
    Sponsored research. Reminds me of how coke and pepsi funded research saying sodas don't contribute to obesity.

Some people have literally no life outside of gaming and no relationships to speak of. The proof is all the guys who play magic the gathering and games nonstop to the point their existence is nothing but an escape.

It’s ridiculous that a study found that people can be happy playing games? What’s next, you’re going to say it’s ridiculous that a study found that burning fossil fuels is bad for the environment?
    Let's Go!
  • Posted on 17 November 20 at 00:55
    Christoph 5782 said:
    Ostrowidzki1989 said:

It’s ridiculous that a study found that people can be happy playing games? What’s next, you’re going to say it’s ridiculous that a study found that burning fossil fuels is bad for the environment?
    Thanks for contributing.
  • PsiScreamPsiScream649,147
    Posted on 17 November 20 at 02:00
    I must admit I laughed when the study author suggested 4 hours/day of Animal Crossing - that's quite a bit. Looking briefly at his study data though, it looks like well being and time played are fairly steady for PvZ, and the effect appears to kick in almost right away. Animal Crossing shows increasing well-being with longer playtime, which makes sense given the objectives in the game; even still, positive effects show up almost right away.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 17 November 20 at 02:20
    Surprised Among Us was not one of the tested games, due to its social interactivity
  • MackslyMacksly216,770
    Posted on 17 November 20 at 10:43
    Halo 2 on legendary does most certainly not contribute to a good wellbeing
  • Sensei NeoSensei Neo1,700,102
    Posted on 17 November 20 at 11:18
    Rista B said:
    No, no, no...all the debunked research clearly shows that video games make you want to go on murderous rampages.
    My work colleagues legit believe this facepalm
  • Thief000Thief0001,243,120
    Posted on 17 November 20 at 12:11
    Say it ain't so...
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 18 November 20 at 00:24
    Positive wellbeing?
    Redundant.
    What does negative wellbeing look like?
    Picky picky. Always something.
  • guycarbguycarb486,460
    Posted on 18 November 20 at 14:25
    Macksly said:
    Halo 2 on legendary does most certainly not contribute to a good wellbeing
    Yeah, Regret and Gravemind on LASO comes to mind - I’m pretty sure I shaved a couple yrs off my life thanks to that! laugh
  • twztid13twztid1394,361
    Posted on 29 July 22 at 20:22
    Self reported data ..
  • twztid13twztid1394,361
    Posted on 29 July 22 at 20:25
    Omniscient Al said:
    Positive wellbeing?
    Redundant.
    What does negative wellbeing look like?
    They use it as a synonym for "health".
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm653,393
    Posted on 29 July 22 at 21:08
    Good games incorporate a 'fun factor.' Naturally, having fun improves your mental outlook and contributes to a sense of well being.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads