Forum for the Twelve Days of Christmas 2020 Contest

12 Days of Christmas 2020 Discussion

• builder dirgebuilder dirge1,387,264
    Posted on 25 December 20 at 08:49
    Been told by the challenge creator that Freedom Finger causes problems. I need to buy a game with an achievement with a Y now as the one valid ones I have i don't own anymore or a couple are too difficult for me.
    Fear is the element that unites all losers - Motto of the Decepticon Dirge.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm473,185
    Posted on 25 December 20 at 16:51, Edited on 25 December 20 at 17:03 by Allgorhythm
    builder dirge said:
    Been told by the challenge creator that Freedom Finger causes problems. I need to buy a game with an achievement with a Y now as the one valid ones I have i don't own anymore or a couple are too difficult for me.
    Sorry to hear about that. My recommendation is My Big Sister

The first achievement you pop, within seconds is:
    My Big SisterYummy NoodlesThe Yummy Noodles achievement in My Big Sister worth 15 pointsThe look delicious!

More importantly, it ends with an S which is one of the best letters you can have. The game is short and interesting. Unfortunately, most of the other achievements end in punctuation so they won't count.

For the rest of what you need, I strongly recommend Swordbreaker The Game. Achievements can be cherry picked and unlocked within seconds. Just use the exceptional walkthrough to do so.

Edited to add: To unlock Yummy Noodles. As soon as you start the game, turn left & talk to the person. Then, go to the bottom of the room & talk to the person on your left. This is the Ramen shop. You get a bowl of Ramen and unlock the achievement. You also get chopsticks which the first person you talk to needs.

If you like noir stories, you'll enjoy My Big Sister tremendously. Its dark humor is hilarious. It takes about an hour with a guide and two hours without one.
    Posted on 25 December 20 at 16:56
    Allgorhythm said:
    builder dirge said:
    Sorry to hear about that. My recommendation is My Big Sister

The first achievement you pop, within seconds is:
    My Big SisterYummy NoodlesThe Yummy Noodles achievement in My Big Sister worth 15 pointsThe look delicious!

More importantly, it ends with an S which is one of the best letters you can have. The game is short and interesting. Unfortunately, most of the other achievements end in punctuation so they won't count.

For the rest of what you need, I strongly recommend Swordbreaker The Game. Achievements can be cherry picked and unlocked within seconds. Just use the exceptional walkthrough to do so.
    Really appreciate that and have just bought it! Cheers.
    Posted on 25 December 20 at 17:07
    builder dirge said:
    Really appreciate that and have just bought it! Cheers.
    You're welcome. I edited my previous post to include a solution. Like I said, it takes seconds. You'll probably want to set it aside once you pop the first achievement & work towards the rest of the challenge. You probably already have the letters & don't need Swordbreaker. If so, you can keep Swordbreaker as an ace in the whole next time there's another spelling-type challenge. It's got 58 achievements that you can unlock in just about any order you want.
    Posted on 25 December 20 at 17:30
    Appreciate all the pointers! Got the Yummy achievement done.
    Everyone else, avoid Freedom Finger for the challenge!
    Posted on 25 December 20 at 17:49
    builder dirge said:
    Otherwise, how is Freedom Finger? I like SHMUPs. I considered getting it when it came on sale last spring but the discount wasn't big enough. I thought I'd wait for at least 50% off.
  • Posted on 25 December 20 at 18:14
    So weird to hear that freedom finger causes problems for the challenge, why is it any different to any other game?
    Posted on 25 December 20 at 18:50
    Allgorhythm said:
    builder dirge said:
    Otherwise, how is Freedom Finger? I like SHMUPs. I considered getting it when it came on sale last spring but the discount wasn't big enough. I thought I'd wait for at least 50% off.
    One I would recommend for sure! It's absolutely mad crazy story and quite a fun shmup.
    Posted on 25 December 20 at 18:51
    I8ITackyticsI8I said:
    So weird to hear that freedom finger causes problems for the challenge, why is it any different to any other game?
    I'm unsure why, but I spoke to the challenge coordinator and they said it's caused a few issues.
    Posted on 25 December 20 at 22:37
    builder dirge said:
    Allgorhythm said:
    builder dirge said:
    One I would recommend for sure! It's absolutely mad crazy story and quite a fun shmup.
    I’ll definitely get it—sounds like my kind of game.
  • Posted on 26 December 20 at 00:10
    builder dirge said:
    If you're wondering why: it's because the achievements actually have a non-printing character at the start of the achievement names, specifically a zero width no-break space. TA however does see the character, it doesn't match the alphabet, and so fails as a valid achievement.

How did that character get there? NFI. Devs screwed up, I suspect it's something like a copy paste error when they added the achievements, and because it's invisible nobody noticed. I doubt it will be fixed either.

@planting42 probably warrants a FAQ or some kind of callout for future events.
    Check out the Real Gamerscore podcast (https://realgamerscore.com) and the Random To Do List Challenge (https://randomtodolist.com)!
    Posted on 26 December 20 at 00:39
    zzUrbanSpaceman said:
    If you're wondering why: it's because the achievements actually have a non-printing character at the start of the achievement names, specifically a zero width no-break space. TA however does see the character, it doesn't match the alphabet, and so fails as a valid achievement.

How did that character get there? NFI. Devs screwed up, I suspect it's something like a copy paste error when they added the achievements, and because it's invisible nobody noticed. I doubt it will be fixed either.

@planting42 probably warrants a FAQ or some kind of callout for future events.
    I thought it might be the case. So I I ran the search: https://www.trueachievements.com/xbox-achievements.aspx?easy...

The two Y achievements from Freedom Finger showed up. I guess the scan works differently from the search.

It’s a shame. The game has a good selection of letters for spelling-type challenges.
  • Lyy7512Lyy7512282,512
    Posted on 26 December 20 at 05:27
    I want to know if this combination is effective?

No Mains(Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition (Win 10))
    Sail the 7 Seas (minecraft)
    Sleep with the Fishes (minecraft)
    So I've Got That Going for Me (minecraft)
  • Timww572Timww572983,464
    Posted on 26 December 20 at 06:07
    Lyy7512 said:
    I want to know if this combination is effective?

No Mains(Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition (Win 10))
    Sail the 7 Seas (minecraft)
    Sleep with the Fishes (minecraft)
    So I've Got That Going for Me (minecraft)
    Those four should chain together, just make sure you click the button to start day 12 before you start unlocking achievements.
  • eayragteayragt231,213
    Posted on 26 December 20 at 06:33
    And be aware that you'll run out of E's quicker than any other common letter...
    Say everything with a smile
  • Posted on 26 December 20 at 15:14
    Well that as a fun event!
  • JetSetJustinJetSetJustin149,275
    Posted on 26 December 20 at 16:31
    Almost done. Can anyone recommend a Y achievement? Something cheap/f2p/game pass
    4 more achievements for day 12 and I’m done.
  • Posted on 26 December 20 at 17:04
    JetSetJustin said:
    Almost done. Can anyone recommend a Y achievement? Something cheap/f2p/game pass
    Halo MCC: Your Journey Begins
    Complete a campaign mission or a match of multiplayer.
    Titanfall 2 :You can be my Wingman anytime
    Destroyed an enemy Titan as a Pilot in the Campaign
    Wolfenstein 3D ($5.00) : You Are Death Incarnate
    Complete one floor on "I Am Death Incarnate"
  • JetSetJustinJetSetJustin149,275
    Posted on 26 December 20 at 17:45
    RowshexMaxima said:
    JetSetJustin said:
    Halo MCC: Your Journey Begins
    Complete a campaign mission or a match of multiplayer.
    Titanfall 2 :You can be my Wingman anytime
    Destroyed an enemy Titan as a Pilot in the Campaign
    Wolfenstein 3D ($5.00) : You Are Death Incarnate
    Complete one floor on "I Am Death Incarnate"
    Excellent! Thank you.
  • Bradyguy99Bradyguy99300,931
    Posted on 26 December 20 at 18:59
    Hi uh how do I start the 12th day? It's not tracking and I can't find the start button....
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.