Game Discussion: NHL 94 Rewind

Easy Completion?

• MeetTheCynicMeetTheCynic460,785
    Posted on 07 December 20 at 17:02
    As someone who has never played the original...is this an easy completion?

There’s only 11 achievements and they all look doable but I’ve no idea how forgiving the AI will be.

Thanks!
  • CuddIe BunnyCuddIe Bunny1,410,780
    Posted on 08 December 20 at 07:33
    I have found that every achievement aside from winning the Stanley Cup is relatively easy. It seems the AI become harder to score on even with the "cheat shot". It will definitely take some practice.
    ????
    Posted on 08 December 20 at 13:55
    CuddIe Bunny said:
    I have found that every achievement aside from winning the Stanley Cup is relatively easy. It seems the AI become harder to score on even with the "cheat shot". It will definitely take some practice.
    Thanks for the reply. I’m assuming the Stanley Cup is a knockout tournament of some sort? Can you save before every match?
  • Mysterio400Mysterio4001,725,716
    Posted on 08 December 20 at 14:25
    I did the Stanley Cup this past weekend and yes, it saves between every round. I believe it took 4 wins in total. I quit out 3 or 4 times when the other team got a goal before I did and was able to restart at the same round without losing any progress.

The AI is also very dumb. As soon as I scored I just took control of the puck and kept on my side of the field, near my own goal. The AI very rarely came over to try take it back and when they did I could just skate away and they'd leave me alone and go back to their side. Easy to run the clock out and quickly. Make sure the periods are on 5 minutes to speed it up. Also, the clock moves faster than real time so a 5 minute period is closer to about 3 and a half real minutes.

I haven't finished it fully yet, holding off to see if any achievements are useful for the 12 Days of Christmas event. But so far I'm under 2 hours in and at least half way done so I'd say it's pretty easy. I've only ever played a couple hockey games before this (Wayne Gretzky on the N64!).
  • CuddIe BunnyCuddIe Bunny1,410,780
    Posted on 08 December 20 at 19:37
    The Stanley Cup - otherwise labelled Playoff/Best of 7 is first to four. You start off in quarterfinals, then semifinals, then finals to compete for the cup. My suggestion would be to pick a team like Boston (although my heart lies in the Leafs) because their rating is on the higher end from what I have seen.

Like the user above stated, 5 minute games, otherwise you'll be playing longer than you need to, and also try to knockout the overtime win and the pulled goalie achievements early on, as it does get harder the further you progress. Overall, the difficulty wasn't too bad. If the team i was facing was higher in skill, i would score a goal and then do circles around my net and my blueline to waste time. If I scored 2 or 3, I let the controller down and time passed by quickly that way as well. Overall, took me about 3-4 hours to complete.

Any further questions, I am happy to help!
    ????
    Posted on 08 December 20 at 22:20
    Thanks to everyone who has responded. I started the game tonight and got some of the easier achievements. Will definitely use your tips when going for the rest smile

Actually found myself really enjoying the game, I wish other sports games would do a similar thing for their older titles.
  • ChPainkillerChPainkiller552,631
    Posted on 09 December 20 at 15:52
    after seeing this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC3LNWNuZHU

and learning how to score easy goals this completion was very easy.

I would say a 2/10 and you can complete it in 2-3 hours.

Also a really nice nostalgia trip.
  • Posted on 10 December 20 at 23:56
    The "cheat shot" definitely gets harder to pull off in the semi finals and Stanley Cup final, but not impossible. Seems that the AI by the third game love to just bunch up by the goal. I ended up lucking out and had 3 of their players simultaneously get penalties so they were short players and capitalized on it.
  • Odog1234Odog1234475,302
    Posted on 11 December 20 at 17:50
    Ill throw my 2 cents into this. So when I got to the finals i actually lost. You can back out and the game should not have you lose progress. You can try the finals again. Also for the pulling the goalie away one. I pulled the goalie when I have complete possession of the puck on the opponents end of the ice. I skated around everybody until I had a shot or until I had someone open for a one timer. I did it twice and got it both times. Remember to put your goalie back after you scored the goal and going to ot after you tied it is ok
    Posted on 11 December 20 at 19:36
    Yeah I got the full 1000 yesterday. All in all was pretty painless. I watched Cheevo Guides’ video on the Strategic Mastermind achievement which was really helpful.

I also found it tricky to pull of the “cheat shot” reliably, but it is still probably the best strategy for newbies like myself.
  • DrewAsDFRAGDrewAsDFRAG446,833
    Posted on 12 December 20 at 03:47
    The game overall is pretty good. Achievement wise, it shares its fair share of difficulty. Most of them are easy, but two of them are kind of a pain. Winning the Stanley Cup is kind of a pain, but if you know you are about to lose, just quit the game (Press y then quit), you should still be in the final match of whoever you were facing. It doesn't matter who you face, they bring it rough. The Strategic Mastermind is really the biggest pain cause you need to yank your goalie in the last period with 3 minutes left and comeback and win. It may take several tries
    D-FRAG
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 12 December 20 at 16:20
    Strategic mastermind is definitely tricky, it can take a while depending on skill/luck.
  • BryanRPhBryanRPh696,104
    Posted on 17 December 20 at 13:44
    A warning for others looking to start. This game is AWFUL. Played 3 games and immediately uninstalled. The achievements sound easy but would be a miserable slog to actually complete. Stay far away!
  • notoriousJMZnotoriousJMZ452,401
    Posted on 20 December 20 at 21:54
    I concur, its brutal. I'll look into how to actually play it aa some are saying there's an easy way to score goals but if you are looking for an easy completion this is not it.
  • vSullyvSully1,179,376
    Posted on 29 December 20 at 21:56
    notoriousJMZ said:
    I concur, its brutal. I'll look into how to actually play it aa some are saying there's an easy way to score goals but if you are looking for an easy completion this is not it.
    Everyone's different, I guess. The completion took me less than 2 hours.
  • A DEAD B0DY MANA DEAD B0DY MAN1,465,288
    Posted on 31 December 20 at 02:52
    Super blood hockey was fun and not bad(in difficulty) .. similar?
  • fatDaddy21fatDaddy21493,136
    Posted on 06 January 21 at 18:20
    Is this game doable if you know nothing about hockey? I get you need to score goals, but know no rules of the game.
  • Posted on 12 January 21 at 17:42
    sorry for the off-topic

does anybody know if the 2020-2021 all-access pass of nhl tv includes the playoffs ?
    "I'm proud of you Sheldon" "yeah, I'm proud of me too" - lol
  • Posted on 06 May 21 at 13:39, Edited on 06 May 21 at 13:44 by Scenic Route 16
    Do not play this game it is horrible. It is not an easy 2-3 1000G no freaking where close. This game has unplayable controls and it is impossible to score. If you do, the computer scores immediately. You get fouled every 5 seconds and their goalie stops everything. Every so often that BS trick shot works but as soon as it does the computer scores another goal. I hate that this was suggested as an easy 1000 and it should be removed from all guides on easy 1000. You can’t swap players so they just stand there while the computer gets the puck, your players fall over all the time. It’s a nightmare game.
  • H3rmitardH3rmitard279,105 279,105 GamerScore
    Posted on 15 May 21 at 08:47
    fatDaddy21 said:
    Is this game doable if you know nothing about hockey? I get you need to score goals, but know no rules of the game.
    I would certainly say that you dont really need to know anything about hockey at all. The biggest thing is the learning the knack of scoring the goals. The videos that you see online of the "cheap" goals, makes it seem insanely easy, but it isnt.

The hardest part is actually scoring to equalise when your keeper is pulled, as defending is so/so with the controls..

I managed to complete the game, but it did take longer than the 2-3 hours
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.