The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

The Xbox Game Awards Sale 2020 is now live with big discounts on a range of games

• PsiScreamPsiScream455,434
    Posted on 10 December 20 at 20:42
    HolyHalfDead said:
    Elite1111111111 said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    Elite1111111111 said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    Perhaps you missed that part. I don’t think Ubisoft would be happy about the extra 10% XBL Gold member discount coming out of their “cut”.

Microsoft want to make XBL Gold look like an attractive proposition, and DwG and GwG are ways to do that. You can’t surely believe that is done at the expense of Ubisoft or their other suppliers.
    Which makes the logical explanation that Microsoft takes that extra discount out of their own profit on said product.
    Exactly :)
    Not sure if whoosh or...

I'm agreeing with SheBeatsYou, I'm just saying Microsoft takes a hit to their "cut" to offer an extra discount.
    You are agreeing with my very first statement that kicked this all off, that it is Microsoft that set’s the sale prices, same way a supermarket does.

If a supermarket knocks an extra 5% off than the one down the road, it comes out of their cut, not the suppliers.

If Ubisoft have set Far Cry 3 pricing to $2, and Microsoft sell it for $3 and Sony sell it for $2.50, it is the store that set the sale price. You were even able to buy it from the Ubisoft store, where neither Sony or Microsoft would get a storefront cut, although they will still get their license fee.
    SheBeatsYou is definitely on the right track. There's a lot more to product pricing that simply cost paid + markup = retail price. Even in supermarket goods, manufacturers will offer discounts to retailers, cross-promotions, payments for shelf positioning, end-cap displays, help with advertising, manufacturer's coupons and so on. You're not thinking clearly if you think Microsoft is the sole determinant of digital sales prices.
  • Posted on 10 December 20 at 20:47, Edited on 10 December 20 at 20:57 by Elite1111111111
    HolyHalfDead said:
    $39.95 is not a discount on $34.80 as stated TWICE on that page. Microsoft need to either refuse to publish that statement as it is not a fact, take down the store listing, or get the publisher (Xbox Studios in this case, lol) to either increase the price of the DLC or reduce the price of the pass.
    Unless my storefront page is wigging out, there is currently only 1 DLC available. It's possible the future DLC is a different price (see Overcooked 2 pass).

Edit: I see on TA that there are currently 3 DLC available for the same price (with the assumption the 4th will be the same). In which case yes they have priced it poorly and should be called out for it.

Seems to be because for whatever reason the pass is US$20 vs NZ$40, but the DLC are $6 vs $9.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead607,906
    Posted on 10 December 20 at 20:57, Edited on 10 December 20 at 21:01 by HolyHalfDead
    PsiScream said:
    SheBeatsYou is definitely on the right track. There's a lot more to product pricing that simply cost paid + markup = retail price. Even in supermarket goods, manufacturers will offer discounts to retailers, cross-promotions, payments for shelf positioning, end-cap displays, help with advertising, manufacturer's coupons and so on. You're not thinking clearly if you think Microsoft is the sole determinant of digital sales prices.
    I don’t think at any point I said that, and if that is what others thought I said then I am sorry for the confusion.

It would be madness (and probably illegal) for Microsoft to charge $10 for Far Cry 3 when it’s price is set to $2, and $2 for Far Cry 4 when it’s price is set to $10.

But we have seen time and time again Microsoft setting a cheaper price than the one being set by the publisher.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • Rista BRista B629,127
    Posted on 10 December 20 at 20:58
    PsiScream said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    Elite1111111111 said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    Elite1111111111 said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    Perhaps you missed that part. I don’t think Ubisoft would be happy about the extra 10% XBL Gold member discount coming out of their “cut”.

Microsoft want to make XBL Gold look like an attractive proposition, and DwG and GwG are ways to do that. You can’t surely believe that is done at the expense of Ubisoft or their other suppliers.
    Which makes the logical explanation that Microsoft takes that extra discount out of their own profit on said product.
    Not sure if whoosh or...

I'm agreeing with SheBeatsYou, I'm just saying Microsoft takes a hit to their "cut" to offer an extra discount.
    You are agreeing with my very first statement that kicked this all off, that it is Microsoft that set’s the sale prices, same way a supermarket does.

If a supermarket knocks an extra 5% off than the one down the road, it comes out of their cut, not the suppliers.

If Ubisoft have set Far Cry 3 pricing to $2, and Microsoft sell it for $3 and Sony sell it for $2.50, it is the store that set the sale price. You were even able to buy it from the Ubisoft store, where neither Sony or Microsoft would get a storefront cut, although they will still get their license fee.
    I would also add one comment and in many cases, especially between larger organizations there are agreements in place regarding pricing & promotions. The maker of the goods generally won't let anyplace that sells them just sell that at whatever price they want or guess what...all their other customers get pissed off. So even on a digital storefront if MS is selling someone's else goods you can pretty sure that promotional discounts are discussed and aligned with the originator of the product.

Or to use your example who sets the price of a Coke in the store? You better believe Coke has a very large say in it.
    Rest in peace Ryan Hayward, a fellow gamer taken too soon.
    Posted on 10 December 20 at 20:59
    Elite1111111111 said:
    Seems to be because for whatever reason the pass is US$20 vs NZ$40, but the DLC are $6 vs $9.
    Yes, $20 is clearly a discount on $24 :)

But who is responsible for setting the prices? laugh
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • Posted on 10 December 20 at 21:05, Edited on 10 December 20 at 21:07 by Elite1111111111
    HolyHalfDead said:
    Elite1111111111 said:
    Yes, $20 is clearly a discount on $24 :)

But who is responsible for setting the prices? laugh
    It's a first party Microsoft game, so it'd be on them no matter which of us is right.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm512,314
    Posted on 10 December 20 at 21:31
    Great! I can get the legendary hero edition of Like a Dragon for about the regular cost of the standard edition.
  • BlackxRyanBlackxRyan813,434
    Posted on 10 December 20 at 22:00
    Looks like I started a debate again lmao

I had 7 notifications shock
  • J2B9J2B9929,124
    Posted on 10 December 20 at 22:22
    Elite1111111111 said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    $39.95 is not a discount on $34.80 as stated TWICE on that page. Microsoft need to either refuse to publish that statement as it is not a fact, take down the store listing, or get the publisher (Xbox Studios in this case, lol) to either increase the price of the DLC or reduce the price of the pass.
    Unless my storefront page is wigging out, there is currently only 1 DLC available. It's possible the future DLC is a different price (see Overcooked 2 pass).

Edit: I see on TA that there are currently 3 DLC available for the same price (with the assumption the 4th will be the same). In which case yes they have priced it poorly and should be called out for it.

No you were right in the first place. The first 2 DLC's are part of the hero pass which is cheaper than buying the first 2 separately in both regions. The 3rd one on TA is the first one that's part of the new Season Pass. So there is still 3 more to come for that pass. If it follows the same pricing then yeah it'll end up cheaper separately then buying the Season pass only in Holy's region. But Holy you're complaining before you even know the future prices so its a pointless premature argument because countless games have dlc with different prices so for all you know the next 3 will be way more expensive so that the Season pass is cheaper for you as well.
  • J2B9J2B9929,124
    Posted on 10 December 20 at 22:32
    Rista B said:
    PsiScream said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    Elite1111111111 said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    Elite1111111111 said:
    HolyHalfDead said:

Not sure if whoosh or...

I would also add one comment and in many cases, especially between larger organizations there are agreements in place regarding pricing & promotions. The maker of the goods generally won't let anyplace that sells them just sell that at whatever price they want or guess what...all their other customers get pissed off. So even on a digital storefront if MS is selling someone's else goods you can pretty sure that promotional discounts are discussed and aligned with the originator of the product.

Or to use your example who sets the price of a Coke in the store? You better believe Coke has a very large say in it.
    and as even another point, Holy do you think Microsoft randomly would decide to put an indie game on sale out of the thousands of games in existence? Clearly the publisher of that game would come to Microsoft and tell them they want to put their game on sale and for what price. Your argument would imply Microsoft chooses random indie games to go on sale and for a specific price which would make no sense.

In addition, when you have times like when The Division 2 or NBA 2k20 go on sale for $3 across all platforms. In these moments you think the stores all come to an agreement to price-match and sell at a loss as opposed to the publishers of the games telling the stores what to put the sale at?
  • RiIeyRiIey637,152
    Posted on 10 December 20 at 22:36
    brunopcosta1 said:
    May I suggest a separate section for "Optimized for the Series X|S" sales? Just like how TrueTrophies handles the PS5 sales.

In the way it is currently in the site it looks like the Series X|S don't even exist :( No specific leaderboards, every backwards compatible game is also labeled as a Series X|S game, etc...
    That’s because pretty much every game is backwards compatible for both systems with the exception of a few sports games that released a new version for the next gen. Console just came out what are you expecting?
  • HosseinGTHosseinGT250,474
    Posted on 10 December 20 at 23:00
    "Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice" is one of my best experiences especially because of its 3D sounds even with a cheap headphone that I use.
    I recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it yet but you may need to use a walkthrough for its hard riddles.
    I wish I had money to escape from fucking Iran.
  • rIKmANrIKmAN615,527
    Posted on 10 December 20 at 23:06
    uyadaddysson said:
    I've been eyeing Wreckfest for a while, not quite at that magical $20 mark. RE2 has been cheaper no?
    Download and play the free trial first to see what you think.

I was eying it for ages as I hoped it'd be a modern day Destruction Derby, but played the free trial and it saved me from wasting money on it as it got boring quick.
  • Boots OrionBoots Orion775,564
    Posted on 11 December 20 at 00:49
    SheBeatsYou said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    SheBeatsYou said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    When you buy a digital item from Amazon, who do you think sets the price? ;)
    Not the same thing at all. Amazon sells codes, not digital games themselves.
    Amazon sells digital MP3 music ;)
    OMG...roll I give up belive what you want dude
    If you belive, they put a man on the moon. Man on the moon.
    Do you belive in life after love?
    If you want it you got it, you just got to belive. Belive in yourself. Yeah.
    This comment has been approved by Boots Orion.
    Posted on 11 December 20 at 03:05, Edited on 11 December 20 at 03:11 by HolyHalfDead
    J2B9 said:
    Elite1111111111 said:
    HolyHalfDead said:

No you were right in the first place. The first 2 DLC's are part of the hero pass which is cheaper than buying the first 2 separately in both regions. The 3rd one on TA is the first one that's part of the new Season Pass. So there is still 3 more to come for that pass. If it follows the same pricing then yeah it'll end up cheaper separately then buying the Season pass only in Holy's region. But Holy you're complaining before you even know the future prices so its a pointless premature argument because countless games have dlc with different prices so for all you know the next 3 will be way more expensive so that the Season pass is cheaper for you as well.
    This is not the first time it has happened where the pass is more expensive than the combined total of all the released contents. I have complained to Microsoft before with no results. I don't mind bundles being more expensive than all the contents (buyers should always do their research). What I object to is the page stating TWICE that buying the bundle saves you money when it doesn't - that is deception, misleading, immoral and possibly illegal.

Do you really think in the US there will be a $6 DLC followed by say 3x $10 DLC, while the season pass is $20. Yes, it is possible but highly unlikely as there have been 3 x $6 DLC already, and a $10 pass containing two $6 DLC, which indicates a $20 pass would include 4 x $6 DLC.

Let's say you do pay the $40, and then they only release 4 x $8.70 DLC. Do you think you would be able to claim a refund for the difference. I'm sure a lawyer could, but Microsoft have never listened to me before so why would I think this time would be any different.
    Posted on 11 December 20 at 03:40
    J2B9 said:
    and as even another point, Holy do you think Microsoft randomly would decide to put an indie game on sale out of the thousands of games in existence? Clearly the publisher of that game would come to Microsoft and tell them they want to put their game on sale and for what price. Your argument would imply Microsoft chooses random indie games to go on sale and for a specific price which would make no sense.

In addition, when you have times like when The Division 2 or NBA 2k20 go on sale for $3 across all platforms. In these moments you think the stores all come to an agreement to price-match and sell at a loss as opposed to the publishers of the games telling the stores what to put the sale at?
    Perhaps you missed it, I already settled that discussion.

If Ubisoft sell Microsoft Far Cry 4 for $10 reduced from $20 for a week, and Microsoft set the price on the store at $13, making 30% on every copy sold, and then Microsoft (not Ubisoft) set the price to $12 for XBL Gold subs, making just 20%, then it was Microsoft that set the price, not Ubisoft. They could even set the price to $11 for GPU subs, or $0 for GwG - Ubisoft will still be getting their $10 for every copy sold.

I wasn't inferring that Microsoft can set the supplied price, any more than a store can influence the price it pays for cans of Coke.
    Posted on 11 December 20 at 03:58
    Rista B said:
    It's as if you are suggesting competition is an illusion created to make the customer believe they are getting a good deal, because all the stores are in it together. :)
  • brunopcosta1brunopcosta1519,052
    Posted on 11 December 20 at 04:03
    RiIey said:
    brunopcosta1 said:
    May I suggest a separate section for "Optimized for the Series X|S" sales? Just like how TrueTrophies handles the PS5 sales.

In the way it is currently in the site it looks like the Series X|S don't even exist :( No specific leaderboards, every backwards compatible game is also labeled as a Series X|S game, etc...
    That’s because pretty much every game is backwards compatible for both systems with the exception of a few sports games that released a new version for the next gen. Console just came out what are you expecting?
    Every game is backwards compatible, but only around 60 are optimized for the new consoles. What am I expecting? A section for Series X|S sales so we are able to know when an optimized game is on sale.

Optimized for Series X|S is just a fancy expression to say that the game has a Series X|S version. If I'm looking for Series X games on sale, it would be much better to look at a dedicated list instead of scrolling through hundreds of Xbox One games.
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong408,552
    Posted on 11 December 20 at 06:25
    Fade to Silence is the only one that looks interesting. Anyone have an opinion on it?
  • FinderKeeperFinderKeeper126,243
    Posted on 11 December 20 at 08:39
    I'm pretty sure that's the lowest price Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition has been. That's the only one on my wishlist in this particular sale.
    "That was such über-pwnage." --Kyle Broflovski
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.