Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Publisher Xitilon told to reverse easy achievement changes for some of its games

• AllgorhythmAllgorhythm577,964
    Posted on 24 May 21 at 21:02
    AgileDuke said:
    Thanks for the info, will play some more on my days off
    Good luck. As you’ve no doubt seen, the game does a very good job at atmosphere & interesting use of color to create a lurking sense of dread. It’s probably around an 8-10 hour completion now since you need a little patience to learn the maps.
  • NetechmaNetechma482,073
    Posted on 18 February 22 at 18:48
    EveryBase said:
    I find this hilarious that they go after them for this but not publishers and developers with broken achievements.
    While I hate the blatant cash grab of this process I am still going to do it, especially for events etc. I wish it didn't exist and therefore no temptation. It should go without saying broken and uncompleteables should be of higher priority than chasing this blatant cash grabber though.

Are we allowed to refund the titles after completion within our rights of refund policy? -Normally I wouldn't ask but this publisher seems just as much or more unethical. (I do buy them and hate myself each time for them)
    please check out my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DidntknowIwantedthis/
  • SashamorningSashamorning2,505,982
    Posted on 18 February 22 at 19:03
    Netechma said:
    EveryBase said:
    I find this hilarious that they go after them for this but not publishers and developers with broken achievements.
    While I hate the blatant cash grab of this process I am still going to do it, especially for events etc. I wish it didn't exist and therefore no temptation. It should go without saying broken and uncompleteables should be of higher priority than chasing this blatant cash grabber though.

Are we allowed to refund the titles after completion within our rights of refund policy? -Normally I wouldn't ask but this publisher seems just as much or more unethical. (I do buy them and hate myself each time for them)
    Why? They're cheap, short, and a lot are actually fun. Get past the "easy achievement" aspect, and I think most of these are worth at least $5.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. / I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
    Posted on 18 February 22 at 19:14, Edited on 18 February 22 at 19:15 by Netechma
    Sashamorning said:
    Netechma said:
    EveryBase said:

Why? They're cheap, short, and a lot are actually fun. Get past the "easy achievement" aspect, and I think most of these are worth at least $5.
    I should have specified. I don't hate all of these games for the mere thought of them. I hate the getting 3 achievements in 3 seconds set by (my understanding) the publisher and not the creator of the game what so ever. At least in these cases and appealing to the achievement hunter by giving me something to buy for 5-8$$ when I normally would have sought the $1.50 ones on sale simply because this one (probably bad and by that I mean rated 1-2 stars at most by my peers) jacked it up to 3-4k gamerscore which makes me feel cheap and hate myself. Mind you I have genuinely enjoyed some 'crap tier' I just hate this particular aspect and consider it a cash grab I go for but gripe about.
    please check out my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DidntknowIwantedthis/
  • Posted on 18 February 22 at 20:54
    Sashamorning said:
    Netechma said:
    EveryBase said:

Having played most/all of them- I think the majority are trash, and def not worth $5. Obviously everyone has different tastes, but these are no better than the shovelware that's infected steam. I did kinda like 80 years and Cold Silence, but the rest are pure trash. I'm guilty of partaking in them, and I regret wasting my time with them, even if they gave decent GS. I still haven't done the most recent TU's on most because I hate to think about firing them up again.
    Hola
    Posted on 18 February 22 at 21:07
    To each their own. That $5 supports indie developers.
  • FejerFejer1,230,982
    Posted on 18 February 22 at 21:42
    I even got down-voted for saying that I personally liked Cold Silence in my review cry
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm577,964
    Posted on 18 February 22 at 22:43, Edited on 19 February 22 at 00:41 by Allgorhythm
    Fejer said:
    I even got down-voted for saying that I personally liked Cold Silence in my review cry
    Well, I just upvoted it. It’s a well-structured review. The information is presented objectively so people can decide whether or not their personal preferences run along the same lines as yours.

You may want to edit it to correct an inaccuracy. This article is incorrect in stating that Xitilon was told to reverse achievement changes. Microsoft merely pointed out that changing achievement unlock conditions did not conform to policy. There was an implied, “In future, please comply with the policy.” But, even that, was not explicitly stated. I confirmed this with Xitilon at the time. He said Microsoft was polite & low key. He said he made the changes on his own initiative because he wanted to follow the rules.

I also liked Cold Silence. I played the PC Steam version where the achievements were never changed to make them easier. I discuss that in my 24 March 2021 above - Publisher Xitilon told to reverse easy achievement changes for some of its games

Reviews should not be judged, though, on whether you like the same games as the reviewer. A good review should provide enough information so one can decide if the game reviewed is worth buying. Your review does that. Thumbs up.
    Posted on 18 February 22 at 23:28
    Sashamorning said:
    In this case does it? Genuinely asking. My impression was this guy purchased primarily third party or retired titles (did not revamp them in the least) and then did a cash grab in terms of the cliche TLA spam B walk forward for 8 seconds get 600 gs etc kind of appeal.

To be more clear I'm saying I don't dislike these games but I do dislike the 'practice' of hey here's 600 gamerscore for 5$ and the guide is literally a paragraph with little exaggeration.

I've developed a bit of a gamblers mentality about them. My gt is loaded with trash like those but I get starry eyed seeing some of the highlighted profiles on here. I'm just one to admit it. It wasnt always and shouldnt be that way.

TLDR Microsoft should be slightly more hands on with this OR they should just allow 'publishers' to sell gamerscore and

let the guide be press B 100 times here is your 1k gamerscore -because we're getting damn close sometimes 🙄
  • Johnny SinisterJohnny Sinister1,569,939
    Posted on 18 February 22 at 23:29
    Fejer said:
    As a fellow review writer, I am all too familiar with petty voting tactics from disgruntled gamers. It is crazy to think that user reviews may hold an opinion that differs from others.

+1 from me for a well constructed review.
  • Groudon199Groudon199730,647
    Posted on 18 February 22 at 23:44
    Man, I can only imagine the backlash if Breakthrough Gaming were allowed to do on Xbox what they've been doing on PS4.
    Posted on 19 February 22 at 00:52
    Netechma said:
    Sashamorning said:
    In this case does it? Genuinely asking. My impression was this guy purchased primarily third party or retired titles (did not revamp them in the least) and then did a cash grab in terms of the cliche TLA spam B walk forward for 8 seconds get 600 gs etc kind of appeal.

To be more clear I'm saying I don't dislike these games but I do dislike the 'practice' of hey here's 600 gamerscore for 5$ and the guide is literally a paragraph with little exaggeration.

I've developed a bit of a gamblers mentality about them. My gt is loaded with trash like those but I get starry eyed seeing some of the highlighted profiles on here. I'm just one to admit it. It wasnt always and shouldnt be that way.

TLDR Microsoft should be slightly more hands on with this OR they should just allow 'publishers' to sell gamerscore and

let the guide be press B 100 times here is your 1k gamerscore -because we're getting damn close sometimes 🙄
    The relationship, as well as the revenue distribution, between developer and publisher is constructed on a case-by-case basis.

I personally believe that this new trend of selling gamerscore (Ratalaika, eastasiasoft, Xitilion, etc) is actually the worst thing to ever happen to indie developers on home consoles. I have considered writing a blog or something on the subject, as many people don't understand the negative effects this model may have on indie developers and gamers.

But long story short, it is bad for everyone except the publishers and people who like effortless gamerscore. The publishers in this case are exploiting devs that have (no offense) no business in a premier marketplace such as Xbox Marketplace or Playstation Store. These game exist here solely on the basis that a publisher understands the niche market of selling gamerscore and can sell games without any regards to quality. The publishers know this and can give the devs whatever cut they see fit. The developers are probably happy to take this cut. Even 1% from the Microsoft Marketplace or Sony Store is 1% more than their game should ever make on such a marketplace.

Regular indie developers are suffering because the indie marketplace (which has always been a bit volatile) has now become oversaturated and casual players are losing confidence in the indie market due to arbitrary titles (gamerscore for sale) that are now flooding the stores.
    Posted on 19 February 22 at 02:01
    Okay, I'll fall back on the old argument.

No one is forcing you to play them.
  • Oriole2682Oriole26823,708,668
    Posted on 19 February 22 at 03:33
    Or buy them...
    All Hail Xitilon!!!
  • FejerFejer1,230,982
    Posted on 19 February 22 at 07:36
    Allgorhythm said:
    Well, I just upvoted it. It’s a well-structured review. The information is presented objectively so people can decide whether or not their personal preferences run along the same lines as yours.

You may want to edit it to correct an inaccuracy. This article is incorrect in stating that Xitilon was told to reverse achievement changes. Microsoft merely pointed out that changing achievement unlock conditions did not conform to policy. There was an implied, “In future, please comply with the policy.” But, even that, was not explicitly stated. I confirmed this with Xitilon at the time. He said Microsoft was polite & low key. He said he made the changes on his own initiative because he wanted to follow the rules.
    Thank you for the upvote and thanks for the correction, I will update my review soon with details you provided.

Johnny Sinister said:
    Fejer said:
    As a fellow review writer, I am all too familiar with petty voting tactics from disgruntled gamers. It is crazy to think that user reviews may hold an opinion that differs from others.

Thank you.

I was think of quitting with the reviews. My intention was to provide some details to players who are undecided if they want to buy one of these cheap games or not. But a few weeks ago apparently someone found some issue with me or my reviews and down-voted nearly every review which I wrote, which resulted in my review score being low. If my reviews are perceived as "bad reviews" the there is no point in continuing.

To be honest I try to find something positive in some of these games, like for example in "Promesa", "Out of Line", "AntVentor" or of course "Cold Silence" (I was positively surprised about the game once I gave it a try). I know that these aren't AAA games, but some indie devs put some thought and effort into these games and if you can look past the graphics and the quick 1000G points you can find some beauty and quality in them.
    Posted on 19 February 22 at 08:31
    Fejer said:
    Allgorhythm said:

Thank you for the upvote and thanks for the correction, I will update my review soon with details you provided.

Johnny Sinister said:
    Fejer said:

Thank you.

I was think of quitting with the reviews. My intention was to provide some details to players who are undecided if they want to buy one of these cheap games or not. But a few weeks ago apparently someone found some issue with me or my reviews and down-voted nearly every review which I wrote, which resulted in my review score being low. If my reviews are perceived as "bad reviews" the there is no point in continuing.

To be honest I try to find something positive in some of these games, like for example in "Promesa", "Out of Line", "AntVentor" or of course "Cold Silence" (I was positively surprised about the game once I gave it a try). I know that these aren't AAA games, but some indie devs put some thought and effort into these games and if you can look past the graphics and the quick 1000G points you can find some beauty and quality in them.
    I personally wouldn't worry too much about your review score. I am pretty sure that doesn't effect badge colors any more and is only visible if you hover over the badge.

Speaking of which, if you are concerned about people mass down-voting you, I would suggest going into your site settings and change the access settings for your reviews (as well as your solutions if you wanted). While people can still downvote you, this prevents people from clicking on your reviewer badge, seeing your whole list of reviews, and then downvoting them.

I keep mine public, because I like to keep my reviews easily accessible and I am not really worried the occasional downvote. But in case you didn't know this was option, I figure I would share.
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce1,546,931
    Posted on 19 February 22 at 11:15
    Fejer said:
    It’s a great review and I’ve upvoted it. Keep up the good work.
    @ChewieOnIce | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing' | discord.io/ah101
  • Posted on 19 February 22 at 15:51
    Sashamorning said:

Absolutely. That doesn't mean people can't have or share their opinions here.
    Hola
    Posted on 19 February 22 at 17:11
    ThreeHaddock62 said:
    Sashamorning said:

Absolutely. That doesn't mean people can't have or share their opinions here.
    Right. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one.
  • FejerFejer1,230,982
    Posted on 19 February 22 at 18:18
    Johnny Sinister said:
    I personally wouldn't worry too much about your review score. I am pretty sure that doesn't effect badge colors any more and is only visible if you hover over the badge.
    I think what bothers me is not really the "score" or the "color of the badge" but rather that due to the negative votes in general my reviews were rated as mostly negative and bad.

If someone doesn't like my review or my achievement solution guides then I would love to get feedback in the comments to help me improve. My intention with the reviews is to inform other players what the games are about and try to help them decide if it's for them.

ChewieOnIce said:
    It’s a great review and I’ve upvoted it. Keep up the good work.
    Thank you for the vote. smile
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.