The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

Xbox Sale Roundup: January 12th, 2021

• Matodion 1stMatodion 1st510,589
    Posted on 14 January 21 at 11:21, Edited on 14 January 21 at 11:34 by Matodion 1st
    TymanTheLong said:
    Matodion 1st said:
    halohogg said:
    Matodion 1st said:
    ... but in the mean time I would like to valid some of my purchased backlog before it starts to fills me with regret that I bought them at a higher price before a better discount showed up on dwg and I end up lamenting over being a massive shopaholic than a gamer.
    Now I'm lamenting. redface
    We all end up lamenting. fomo and buyer's remorse comes for us all.
    I was effectively destitute for 1.5 years at one point and I found how much cheaper it was to simply buy things when I was going to play them that very day, sales be damned. I’ve not completely gotten rid of that attitude but I do buy stuff I don’t see coming to Gamepass and end up not playing it at times.

If you really want to save money, ignore the sales and just click “Buy” when you’re ready to play it. Bonus that you’ll usually get the version with all the DLC for a pittance too. Even if it’s a $60 game most of our limiting factors is time, you’ll save money.
    That sounds really expensive, I rather buy AC odyssey ultimate for £14.99 than for £79.99 or the entire Lego Marvel Collection for £12.49 instead of £49.99.

Or better yet, pause on buying and finish my backlog pile and hopefully by the time I even get to half the pile, most of the games on my wishlist will have far better discounts.

Frankly, I blame the microtransactions for my backlogs, can't finish as many games on time these days because they are made to be extra grindy so you can buy shortcuts. I remember when games took standard 9-20 hours to complete now you end up spending 60-80 hours on an Assassin's Creed game unless you have buy timesavers consumables.
    Posted on 14 January 21 at 11:56, Edited on 14 January 21 at 23:54 by Matodion 1st
    Blue n Gold Eel said:
    This is just another reminder why we can't go all digital, with sales that are crap like this, and so little games on sale (less than 1% of total games on the marketplace and for an entire week) its beyond crazy to only have one place to get video games.
    As much as westerners go yay digital, the truth is physical is here to stay because the Internet isn't uniformly unlimited in most parts of the world and data demands of these games would break the bank. Imagine spending £40 worth data just to download or update a £8 game.
    I bet the next question is why does this matter? Well it's because while game sales are recorded as UK or US market, it really should say UK, US and the massive amount of English speaking countries with sunpar Internet that order and import US/UK copies worldwide.
  • TymanTheLongTymanTheLong349,959
    Posted on 14 January 21 at 21:14
    Matodion 1st said:
    Blue n Gold Eel said:
    This is just another reminder why we can't go all digital, with sales that are crap like this, and so little games on sale (less than 1% of total games on the marketplace and for an entire week) its beyond crazy to only have one place to get video games.
    As much as westerners go yay digital, the trust is physical is here to stay because the Internet isn't uniformly unlimited in most parts of the world and data demands of these games would break the bank. Imagine spending £40 worth data just to download or update a £8 game.
    I bet the next question is why does this matter? Well it's because while game sales are recorded as UK or US market, it really should say UK, US and the massive amount of English speaking countries with sunpar Internet that order and import US/UK copies worldwide.
    I used to be like you guys, hard core physical media, pro-archival, owned every piece of obscure hardware back to the 80s, etc. I owned crates of PC and console games in addition too 1000s of DVDs (my first DVD player cost $400 US). I still have some of that stuff but most of it is gone and I’m not sorry. It turns out that as you get older you just acquire more stuff, until it’s a giant pain in the butt. Moving it was always a nightmare and storing it in a way that it was accessible was almost as difficult.

You just can’t use it all or even a good portion of it after awhile. It wasn’t at all clear in the early 00s that we weren’t going to be losing media to aging hardware that was no longer produced and had a limited lifespan. PC games were especially a nightmare, with all the various patches, 3rd party fixes/mods, and whatnot, there was justified fear that this stuff was going to be lost (indeed we’d already lost some historic games at the time, though very rarely one is later found).

But with the rise of GOG.com (previously Good Old Games), emulation enthusiasts, and even Steam to some extent this just became less and less true.

Every version of every movie that still has existing celluloid (some of have lost historically) eventually gets re-released (look at the Star Wars “Han Shot First” controversy over that version of the film) and even when it’s not there’s always something on a certain pirate themed website.

Anyway, to each their own, but what I’ve learned is that I can take an entire library with me on a single USB key, along with every Sega Genesis game, and a massive box of more modern XBox games on one external SSD.

There is and will be an issue with external services for games disappearing, but physical media doesn’t solve that either.
  • wookieepuppywookieepuppy631,334
    Posted on 14 January 21 at 22:38
    star wars episode 1 racer is half price too at the moment. It is not showing in this sale but it is half price!

YIPPEE!!!!!
    Posted on 14 January 21 at 23:53, Edited on 14 January 21 at 23:55 by Matodion 1st
    TymanTheLong said:
    Matodion 1st said:
    Blue n Gold Eel said:
    As much as westerners go yay digital, the truth is physical is here to stay because the Internet isn't uniformly unlimited in most parts of the world and data demands of these games would break the bank. Imagine spending £40 worth data just to download or update a £8 game.
    I used to be like you guys, hard core physical media, pro-archival, owned every piece of obscure hardware back to the 80s, etc. I owned crates of PC and console games in addition too 1000s of DVDs (my first DVD player cost $400 US). I still have some of that stuff but most of it is gone and I’m not sorry. It turns out that as you get older you just acquire more stuff, until it’s a giant pain in the butt. Moving it was always a nightmare and storing it in a way that it was accessible was almost as difficult.

You just can’t use it all or even a good portion of it after awhile. It wasn’t at all clear in the early 00s that we weren’t going to be losing media to aging hardware that was no longer produced and had a limited lifespan. PC games were especially a nightmare, with all the various patches, 3rd party fixes/mods, and whatnot, there was justified fear that this stuff was going to be lost (indeed we’d already lost some historic games at the time, though very rarely one is later found).

But with the rise of GOG.com (previously Good Old Games), emulation enthusiasts, and even Steam to some extent this just became less and less true.

Every version of every movie that still has existing celluloid (some of have lost historically) eventually gets re-released (look at the Star Wars “Han Shot First” controversy over that version of the film) and even when it’s not there’s always something on a certain pirate themed website.

Anyway, to each their own, but what I’ve learned is that I can take an entire library with me on a single USB key, along with every Sega Genesis game, and a massive box of more modern XBox games on one external SSD.

There is and will be an issue with external services for games disappearing, but physical media doesn’t solve that either.
    Yeah having piles of physicals can be a pain to store, I have boxes and boxes of 7th and 8th gen games in storage. Anyway the problem still remains that digital is still too expensive in some parts of the world with limited data to have as your primary library form. Imagine buying Gears 5 during xmas for £8.00 but still have to spend £50-£60 worth of data to download it.
  • Blue n Gold EelBlue n Gold Eel1,046,063
    Posted on 15 January 21 at 07:53, Edited on 15 January 21 at 07:56 by Blue n Gold Eel
    Matodion 1st said:
    TymanTheLong said:
    Matodion 1st said:
    Blue n Gold Eel said:

Yeah having piles of physicals can be a pain to store, I have boxes and boxes of 7th and 8th gen games in storage. Anyway the problem still remains that digital is still too expensive in some parts of the world with limited data to have as your primary library form. Imagine buying Gears 5 during xmas for £8.00 but still have to spend £50-£60 worth of data to download it.
    My post is not about buying games and finding places to store them, its about if we go all digital, the Xbox store will be the ONLY place to buy games, and you won't be able to price match with other stores, you cant trade in for money off another game, or sell on Ebay etc. And you will only be able to buy a game on special when MS decides to make game specials each week, and we know MS look after big publishers like Ubisoft, EA etc, and a lot of the smaller games don't go on sale very often, and the dlc's hardly ever.

Besides games aren't like they were back in the day where they were collectible where games like Panzer Dragoon Saga had only 10,000 PAL copies released and made it an instant collectible. Nowadays millions of copies are made and then there's digital which makes games worthless.
    #philspencerneedstoresign
    Posted on 15 January 21 at 09:56
    Blue n Gold Eel said:
    Matodion 1st said:
    TymanTheLong said:
    Matodion 1st said:
    Blue n Gold Eel said:

My post is not about buying games and finding places to store them, its about if we go all digital, the Xbox store will be the ONLY place to buy games, and you won't be able to price match with other stores, you cant trade in for money off another game, or sell on Ebay etc. And you will only be able to buy a game on special when MS decides to make game specials each week, and we know MS look after big publishers like Ubisoft, EA etc, and a lot of the smaller games don't go on sale very often, and the dlc's hardly ever.

Besides games aren't like they were back in the day where they were collectible where games like Panzer Dragoon Saga had only 10,000 PAL copies released and made it an instant collectible. Nowadays millions of copies are made and then there's digital which makes games worthless.
    True, Microsoft now has a sort of monopoly on digital and smaller games are easily forgotten and don't even go on sale at all compared to steam or pc. In fact, most xbox digital price aren't as good as their physical counterparts especially new games, which is just weird because its not the same with pc games and the argument of yesteryear has always been digital is cheaper than physical.

Judging from how most games barely get sales compared to pc, I am beginning to think Microsoft has something to do with it by creating or enacting some sort of restriction or barrier in their platform.
  • Blue n Gold EelBlue n Gold Eel1,046,063
    Posted on 15 January 21 at 10:04
    Matodion 1st said:
    Blue n Gold Eel said:
    Matodion 1st said:
    TymanTheLong said:
    Matodion 1st said:
    Blue n Gold Eel said:

True, Microsoft now has a sort of monopoly on digital and smaller games are easily forgotten and don't even go on sale at all compared to steam or pc. In fact, most xbox digital price aren't as good as their physical counterparts especially new games, which is just weird because its not the same with pc games and the argument of yesteryear has always been digital is cheaper than physical.

Judging from how most games barely get sales compared to pc, I am beginning to think Microsoft has something to do with it by creating or enacting some sort of restriction or barrier in their platform.
    Yeah here in Australia physical is normally $20 cheaper on average, which is ridiculous considering there is no cover, no middle man etc, digital should be the one that is $20 cheaper.

I try not to buy digital unless its super cheap or only available digitally.
    #philspencerneedstoresign
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.