Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Microsoft closing servers for numerous Windows 8 Microsoft Casual Games in April

• SILVAF0XXSILVAF0XX1,447,553
    Posted on 26 March 21 at 07:01
    I will have done all of these except the one on iOS . The last achievement bugged out in me and I have no means to install this on any of my devices.

My only chance is to try and force old software into my really old ipad2 but I’ve no idea if it’s at all possible.

Will have to google this!
    Richard
  • Hysteria89Hysteria891,482,417
    Posted on 26 March 21 at 09:44
    Does anyone know where to find wordament (wp)? I tried looking in the store, but it's been replaced by the updated version.
  • TreviosoTrevioso398,609
    Posted on 26 March 21 at 15:37
    Anyone know if their is an IOS Emulator like Android Blue Stacks? Is it possible to sideload this.
  • Woolyguy24Woolyguy24765,152
    Posted on 27 March 21 at 21:08
    VisibleRaptor5 said:
    JDawgg77 said:
    Anyone have the Win8 version of Minesweeper? Turns out the download I got was Win10 instead. Found it out when I popped the first of my last three achievements and checked TA.

Talk to me.
    Have it 2. Everybody inbox me your emails. Don’t ask me if I have it plz, just inbox emails. U have until April 5th.
    Ahawk30
  • Posted on 27 March 21 at 22:43
    Hysteria89 said:
    Does anyone know where to find wordament (wp)? I tried looking in the store, but it's been replaced by the updated version.
    Go back to the Store and download it. It will give you the old WP version of Wordament. It is still there on the server. The real name of the files is Microsoft Wordament. Microsoft Ultimate Word Games is simply Microsoft Wordament Version 3. The WP version is there.
    Posted on 27 March 21 at 22:58
    Ah amazing. Thank you! I didn't check that. I just figured it was the newer version.
  • Posted on 28 March 21 at 15:08, Edited on 28 March 21 at 15:09 by VisibleRaptor5
    Hysteria89 said:
    Ah amazing. Thank you! I didn't check that. I just figured it was the newer version.
    It was the same with Microsoft Minesweeper but sadly, they removed all versions from their servers, leaving only the latest version for Windows 10. Same for Microsoft Mahjong. The WP version of Solitaire is there on the server but installing it on Windows 10 Mobile will give you the UWP version instead. That is why we have to use XAPs. Somehow, Solitaire and Wordament dodged that bullet but they will be gone for sure by next Monday.
    Posted on 28 March 21 at 18:00
    Yeh, it's a real shame they removed minesweeper from their servers.
  • Dont Copy MineDont Copy Mine1,045,119
    Posted on 28 March 21 at 18:40
    So the server closure is disabling ALL ONLINE AND OFFLINE ACHIEVEMENTS??

SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN : ((
    Posted on 28 March 21 at 18:54
    Unfortunately, I don't think it is known. I would personally try to finish up everything (focusing first on the online achievements). That's how I've been tackling the games.
    Posted on 28 March 21 at 19:53
    Hysteria89 said:
    Unfortunately, I don't think it is known. I would personally try to finish up everything (focusing first on the online achievements). That's how I've been tackling the games.
    Yeah, I've been working towards the online achievements, but now I am scared that it won't be enough, considering how unpredictable Microsoft is...
  • FoolontheHill24FoolontheHill241,043,942
    Posted on 28 March 21 at 21:48
    I got everything done, but id assume someone could disable their internet connection and try booting up taptiles and unlocking an achievement. Id think just dailies would be affected as the console companion app might still be able to pull the data of local unlocks, but I'm not positive.
  • Posted on 30 March 21 at 04:01
    Dont Copy Mine said:

So, I've only tested Solitaire WP8 as it's the only one I have left to do, but I can pretty much confirm it will be 100%able after closure. I did the following on my Windows 8.1 phone:

1. Put phone in Airplane Mode
    2. Booted up Solitaire (it showed me as not being connected to Live, obviously)
    3. Unlocked an achievement
    4. Completely closed out of the game

I noticed the Gamerscore was already added to my account (on Xbox One) so the following is moot information really, but I reconnected my phone to the internet, booted up the Games app and the Gamerscore+achievement showed up there as well (with a timestamp even!) all without ever relaunching the actual game.
    Posted on 30 March 21 at 04:27
    AtomicToast15 said:
    Dont Copy Mine said:

So, I've only tested Solitaire WP8 as it's the only one I have left to do, but I can pretty much confirm it will be 100%able after closure. I did the following on my Windows 8.1 phone:

1. Put phone in Airplane Mode
    2. Booted up Solitaire (it showed me as not being connected to Live, obviously)
    3. Unlocked an achievement
    4. Completely closed out of the game

I noticed the Gamerscore was already added to my account (on Xbox One) so the following is moot information really, but I reconnected my phone to the internet, booted up the Games app and the Gamerscore+achievement showed up there as well (with a timestamp even!) all without ever relaunching the actual game.
    Woah, well that's good then! This saves me time then from doing the WP games then.. Do you know if the offline achievements for the WIN 8 games will still be possible to unlock after the closure?
    Posted on 30 March 21 at 04:34
    FoolontheHill24 said:
    I got everything done, but id assume someone could disable their internet connection and try booting up taptiles and unlocking an achievement. Id think just dailies would be affected as the console companion app might still be able to pull the data of local unlocks, but I'm not positive.
    Yeah, that makes sense, but after reading the Wordament closure article, the Microsoft Casual Games Team sounded like they are implementing an update forces the game to update to the current version of the game.. who knows, I could have read it as the way it wasn't intended..
  • planchetflawplanchetflaw989,701
    Posted on 30 March 21 at 06:13
    Good information but also risky to rely on it if you can get it done before closure.
  • LvxLvx388,696
    Posted on 31 March 21 at 07:23
    From what I can tell it's the daily challenges and cloud saving that's going. Considering cloud saving is what makes games like Mahjong and Minesweeper much quicker to complete, I'd just get them out of the way. Solitaire WP looks like it can just be completed for as long as WP exists although 1 achievement is much easier when using cloud saves.
  • Mike PitchMike Pitch1,976,248
    Posted on 31 March 21 at 13:42
    Can anyone give me an estimate of how much time it takes to get a Gold Medal in Taptiles? Don't have much experience in that one, and it is the only set of dailies I haven't done. Might make a last ditch effort with premium depending on time needed.

Wish we knew with more certainty what was going to become unobtainable and I could prioritize the few games I'm wrapping up more efficiently.
    Posted on 31 March 21 at 13:53
    Mike Pitch said:
    Can anyone give me an estimate of how much time it takes to get a Gold Medal in Taptiles? Don't have much experience in that one, and it is the only set of dailies I haven't done. Might make a last ditch effort with premium depending on time needed.

Wish we knew with more certainty what was going to become unobtainable and I could prioritize the few games I'm wrapping up more efficiently.
    With premium, I would say in the order of 1h-1.5h per gold.
  • IRL Games XIRL Games X1,115,368
    Posted on 05 April 21 at 00:15
    Does anyone know when this closes for wordament? I don’t think I will have enough time for the last 3cry
    IRL Games X
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads