Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Instant series collections from the current Xbox sales

• Posted on 10 February 21 at 23:26
    Ever stop and realise that there are entire classic game series that you've never gotten around to playing? This week's sales offer a few opportunities to remedy just that issue...

Please click here to read the full story: Instant series collections from the current Xbox sales
  • Stoic SlabStoic Slab395,441
    Posted on 10 February 21 at 23:44
    I've never touched a Metal Gear Solid game. I would only consider doing so under the probably unlikely condition that all of the main series games be re-released on Xbox. Remakes being ideal; simple ports being acceptable.
  • Zorlac0666Zorlac0666184,166
    Posted on 11 February 21 at 00:01
    You Completely left out Symphony of the Night which most consider the best castlevania ever made.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/zorlac Please subscribe!! Xbox live Zorlac0666, Steam-Zorlac666 battle.net Zorlac#1875 Nintendo network Zorlac666
  • Posted on 11 February 21 at 00:05
    If you only play one...
    MGS3: Snake Eater on the HD collection, all day long.
    I second that.

World-class stealth mechanics make a strong case for MGSV here, too, although its story goes completely off the rails, and then forgets to end...
    I don't think it was that they forgot, but rather the heavy corporate drama unfolding caused the development to just, well...stop. Which sucks.
    Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness.
  • Posted on 11 February 21 at 00:08
    Stoic Slab said:
    I've never touched a Metal Gear Solid game. I would only consider doing so under the probably unlikely condition that all of the main series games be re-released on Xbox. Remakes being ideal; simple ports being acceptable.
    Sadly, that's about as likely to happen as me heading up development of MGS6. MGS4 is probably locked on PS3 forever as that system was notoriously a pig to code for and Konami forgot how to make games, and MGS1 feels unlikely now after they missed their chance with HD Collection. I'd argue that neither was a reason to stay away, though. 2 and 3 both build on the original in significant ways, and 4 didn't really offer all that much, especially when 3 and 5 could comfortably claim best-in-genre mechanically.
  • Posted on 11 February 21 at 00:14, Edited on 11 February 21 at 00:17 by BadRubberPiggy
    a Fi1thy Casual said:
    I don't think it was that they forgot, but rather the heavy corporate drama unfolding caused the development to just, well...stop. Which sucks.
    I agree, and hence the wording... they didn't forget, I'm sure the devs had some wild ideas. It just feels like it forgets to end.

Zorlac0666 said:
    You Completely left out Symphony of the Night which most consider the best castlevania ever made.
    It was mentioned, but article relates primarily to sale stuff. SotN is amazing, yes, but not on sale right now.
  • Posted on 11 February 21 at 00:30
    Wait, what's this about Tales From The Borderlands coming back? Are the other Telltale games coming back too?
  • GilCAnjosGilCAnjos133,388
    Posted on 11 February 21 at 00:34
    "Later [Doom] games tend to clock in at around 25 hours on average for the full list"

Well, maybe the base game achievements can take only 25 hours, but the DLC achievements for Doom'16 are gonna take way longer. There's an insane multiplayer grind required for the Computing with Style and Beauty is Pain achievements. To be more specific, according to my Completion Times page there was a 30+ hour difference between my completion of the base game and my unlocking of the final multiplayer achievement
  • LMGLMG130,593
    Posted on 11 February 21 at 00:35
    Can't go wrong with any of these all great games imo especially the bioShock an Doom series
  • SeitzzSeitzz988,983
    Posted on 11 February 21 at 00:39
    BioShock all the way! Amazing classics(?)! I guess they're old enough by now, at least I am. The initial pair of Borderlands are also great to get into, didn't mind pre-sequel either, though the best experience was 2 for sure.
  • Posted on 11 February 21 at 00:40
    The Cherished said:
    Wait, what's this about Tales From The Borderlands coming back? Are the other Telltale games coming back too?
    Tales was confirmed literally as I was putting this together, getting relisted on the 17th I believe, and for new consoles as well. No word on anything else Telltale, as this came from the Borderlands social team.

GilCAnjos said:
    "Later [Doom] games tend to clock in at around 25 hours on average for the full list"

Well, maybe the base game achievements can take only 25 hours, but the DLC achievements for Doom'16 are gonna take way longer. There's an insane multiplayer grind required for the Computing with Style and Beauty is Pain achievements. To be more specific, according to my Completion Times page there was a 30+ hour difference between my completion of the base game and my unlocking of the final multiplayer achievement
    That's fair, I mainly looked at base lists when putting this together, but I can imagine the MP stuff would take a good while longer on top. Pardon me while I go for a quick edit...
  • Alchemist xPTKxAlchemist xPTKx1,240,556
    Posted on 11 February 21 at 00:50
    I just want the Doom Eternal DLC or Season Pass to go on sale
  • SoulyDconteSoulyDconte269,484
    Posted on 11 February 21 at 00:56
    Love getting collections on sale. Don't really understand why Borderlands legendary collection doesn't offer any financial benefit if you get the whole bundle or just get them separately. actually, it's around 10 cents cheaper that way.
    I sometimes wonder, I'm hunting achievements or they're haunting me...
  • Posted on 11 February 21 at 00:57, Edited on 11 February 21 at 00:58 by GR34TD3STR0Y3R
    Stoic Slab said:
    Never gonna happen even if MS bought Konami. Sony and Konami won't even touch MGS 4 with a 1000 foot pole. There have been discussions about how insanely hard the ps3 is to program for. It's 99.9999% impossible to port that game. Even the PS3 emulators which can run tons of ps3 games struggles with that game. It would have to be re-made from the ground up. Since Konami fired Kojima and Konami is more than happy to just make cellphone games and pachinko games, they would not commit 1 yen to get that game re-released. MGS 4 being playable on anything at all other than a ps3 is probably one of the most unlikely events in the entire world. Trust me this truth pains me greatly. I keep my PS3 around because there are so many great ps3 only games. But my ps3 controller broke and ps4 controllers have issues with some games... like MGS 4. I don't feel like getting another ps3 controller.
    Cool story bro.
  • Posted on 11 February 21 at 01:03, Edited on 11 February 21 at 01:06 by DarkKnightKefka
    Keep in mind dark souls is also easier, and more fun, in coop. Plus if you know someone with all weapons and rings for part 1 and 3 it takes a HUGE chunk out of the completions.
    Last thing I'll mention ds2 while the weakest, is still fun. It also has an event that starts relatively soon called return to drangleic.it's an annual event that brings people back to the game to coop through it and do pvp. And tbh ds2 is well worth 10 bucks. Edit- event is going on now through March 11th. Details are on reddit. Plus I'm always down for ds1 and 3.
    Xbox Ambassodor
  • troyoytroyoy861,902
    Posted on 11 February 21 at 01:06
    Waiting as long as you can is the best way to go. The prices will be at their lowest.
    Back into gaming as much as possible while sharing my bad ass TV with the GF.
  • WebManWebMan870,316
    Posted on 11 February 21 at 01:08
    I have been on the fence about Borderlands for years. I know that it is a highly rated series but is geared towards coop for maximum fun. I am interested in single player games. Is it worth playing solo?
  • Posted on 11 February 21 at 01:22
    WebMan said:
    I have been on the fence about Borderlands for years. I know that it is a highly rated series but is geared towards coop for maximum fun. I am interested in single player games. Is it worth playing solo?
    Short answer: yes. Long answer: it depends entirely on which game, and how funny you find its schtick, but probably, yes. It's a fun series, and I've played a ton both solo and co-op. 2 has Raid Bosses that require a team, think 1 did as well, but everything in PS and 3 should be doable solo...
  • Not JonniNot Jonni806,920
    Posted on 11 February 21 at 01:29, Edited on 11 February 21 at 01:31 by Not Jonni
    Bioshock all the fucking way, I skipped them back in the day cause I don't do scary games but September 2020 I was going through the backlog during Lockdown, all 3 are amazing and not scary just eerie, I'm even considering going back and buying the 360 versions and playing them!

Edit: Burial at Sea Chapter 2 in Bioshock Infinite is one of the best DLCs I have seen and one of the best story telling in a game in a long time
  • Posted on 11 February 21 at 01:43
    a Fi1thy Casual said:
    If you only play one...
    MGS3: Snake Eater on the HD collection, all day long.
    I second that.

World-class stealth mechanics make a strong case for MGSV here, too, although its story goes completely off the rails, and then forgets to end...
    MGS2 > MGS3
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.