Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Instant series collections from the current Xbox sales

• Bastian ReaderBastian Reader1,162,146
    Posted on 11 February 21 at 01:55
    Luke I really have enjoying your articles since you joined the team. Very refreshing and it seems like you are the go to guy on the news team when it comes to articles that we gamers will actually enjoy instead of aiming to get as many easy clicks on an article. Thanks!
  • Posted on 11 February 21 at 02:34
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    The Cherished said:
    Wait, what's this about Tales From The Borderlands coming back? Are the other Telltale games coming back too?
    Tales was confirmed literally as I was putting this together, getting relisted on the 17th I believe, and for new consoles as well. No word on anything else Telltale, as this came from the Borderlands social team.

That is beyond awesome! Good things can actually happen in gaming still apparently!
  • Posted on 11 February 21 at 02:46
    Not Jonni said:
    Edit: Burial at Sea Chapter 2 in Bioshock Infinite is one of the best DLCs I have seen and one of the best story telling in a game in a long time
    That ending literally had me like 😧

agree 100%.
  • GraymawrGraymawr215,681
    Posted on 11 February 21 at 03:02
    I already have the Xbox 360 version of Tales from Borderlands on disc, and the Xbox One version from Games with Gold. Completed both versions because I loved the game/story so much. I am so glad for everyone else it is getting relisted.

If the Guardians of the Galaxy game can get relisted, take my money!
    Strict Available Times: 10ish PM - 1 AM EST, United States
  • atryeu1atryeu1296,196
    Posted on 11 February 21 at 03:21
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    WebMan said:
    I have been on the fence about Borderlands for years. I know that it is a highly rated series but is geared towards coop for maximum fun. I am interested in single player games. Is it worth playing solo?
    Short answer: yes. Long answer: it depends entirely on which game, and how funny you find its schtick, but probably, yes. It's a fun series, and I've played a ton both solo and co-op. 2 has Raid Bosses that require a team, think 1 did as well, but everything in PS and 3 should be doable solo...
    All of the raid bosses on 2 and TPS are very doable solo. My last character on BL2 was taking the raid bosses down in 10-15 seconds in some cases on UVHM (some of the bosses took longer than others but a couple were very easy to take down fast). You just need the right skill setup and weapons. The only raid boss I didn't do solo so far is from a BL1 DLC (Knoxx DLC, I think?) but I took him out playing co-op with my nephew. Next time I play I intend to take him down solo (I hope). They are a lot of fun co-op but I had just as much fun playing solo. :D
  • Posted on 11 February 21 at 03:38
    Forcing one to choose between the Bioshock or Borderlands Series is considered Cruel & Unusual Punishment and therefore rightfully banned by the Geneva Convention correct? 🤡
    Love Title Updates, new achievements without spending a dime!
  • pezboybenpezboyben741,645
    Posted on 11 February 21 at 04:13
    Another great type of article. Bioshock trilogy would be my personal recommendation to everyone, it is fantastic.
    They are the last kind I tried lol.
  • Posted on 11 February 21 at 04:22
    BadRubberPiggy said:
    and MGS1 feels unlikely now after they missed their chance with HD Collection.
    MGS1 was recently released on GOG for PC so its maybe slightly more likely that we will see an Xbox port one day.
  • berrrnardberrrnard6,206
    Posted on 11 February 21 at 05:44
    I assume all the Doom games are going to be coming to Game Pass once the acquisition has gone through, so it may be a waste to buy those games if you're subscribed.
  • Posted on 11 February 21 at 06:27
    This moved the needle for me on the Mafia collection... but I'll probably wait a year or two in the hopes the backlog gets whittled a bit.
    (AC: Odyssey, RDR2, TW3 loom...)
    ok maybe never. But they sound really fun!
  • Posted on 11 February 21 at 06:38
    Stoic Slab said:
    I've never touched a Metal Gear Solid game. I would only consider doing so under the probably unlikely condition that all of the main series games be re-released on Xbox. Remakes being ideal; simple ports being acceptable.
    You're only missing 1 and 4. I just watched them on Youtube, there's a great channel for it. Although it's a shame not to actually play 1, each game reiterates it with better gameplay. And 4 is just a movie anyways. I don't know anyone that actually liked the game out of all of them
  • SkinfasstSkinfasst398,834
    Posted on 11 February 21 at 07:54
    berrrnard said:
    I assume all the Doom games are going to be coming to Game Pass once the acquisition has gone through, so it may be a waste to buy those games if you're subscribed.
    Assume away.
  • Posted on 11 February 21 at 07:54, Edited on 11 February 21 at 07:55 by LostSoul 301281
    To summarise, here’s a list of really good single
    player games.
    No need for all the drivel or fancy terms.
    Good.
    Single.
    Player.
    Games.
  • HUN playmoreHUN playmore1,293,611
    Posted on 11 February 21 at 08:10
    Borderlands is only fun with friends. The more the better.
    Doom 2016 had its achievements changed when the DLCs became free. Instead of buying the DLC and equipping the armors that came with it (thus getting the achievements right away) now those armors are hidden as unlock behind a terrible grind. I really enjoyed the multiplayer but that two achievement is way beyond any normal play. Needs two large group of people to boost.
    As for Mafia, if you didn't play it then 2 and 3 are both enjoyable but 3 is very tiresome to complete due to the large map and constant driving back and forth. If you already played them then the first game may worth replaying because that was really remastered and old enough to experience again. I may do it too eventually.
    As for MGS... I could never really get into the series despite playing many games. Those damn never ending cutscenes, overly convoluted plots and some ridiculously annoying mechanics always bothered me. It is pretty bad the HD ed of 2&3 has the same achievement list because 2 is pretty bad but 3 is much better. Not to mention the terrible VR missions if you are a completionist. Revengeance is not really an MGS game, it is an ridiculous hack'n'slash. Survive is not worth playing even if you like all the MGS games. I deliberately left MGSV Gorund Zeroes (basically a glorified demo) and Phantom Pain (the "main" game) last:
    So if you didn't like previous MGS that much or afraid they are too old fashioned (they are) or maybe you like western stealth games like Splinter Cell then try Ground Zeroes. It is short and doable for anyone so you don't lose much if you don't like it. But beware: it is a lie. The Phantom Pain is not like that. It has the basic mechanics down but it isn't like it (and not even a finished product due to internal struggles). Ground Zeroes is a tightly focused experience with a carefully crafted ecosystem for that exact base. The main game TPP is a mix between various open world games with tons of grinding. The 200 hour mark is not true anymore. Due to several patchesthat made resource gathering in the game easier it is more like 120 hours. And it is still a terrible grind so you can imagine how little content is actually in the game. Most of your time will be spent on loading screens, watching the exact same unskippable deployment cuscenes over and over and micromanaging developments of things only existing on paper. There are only a very small amount of "bases" in the game and most of the content is about infiltrating them over and over and over and over and over until you are sick of it and you are nowhere near the end. The setups rarely if ever change, if you know the ideal route then even if you may be interested in experimenting you will eventually do the fastest route anyway. Your advancement is throttled by the artificially bloated resource gathering / researching and personal gathering systems in place, the game is basically unplayable until you get ridiculous upgrades that should have been in from the start. And of course the game wasn't finished so around halfway you get to visit the same bases as you did before as the main missions just with a "different" objective.
  • ElyohElyoh864,885
    Posted on 11 February 21 at 08:27, Edited on 11 February 21 at 08:28 by Elyoh
    WebMan said:
    I have been on the fence about Borderlands for years. I know that it is a highly rated series but is geared towards coop for maximum fun. I am interested in single player games. Is it worth playing solo?
    Personally, I never enjoyed them solo. Doesn't mean you won't, but I only ever enjoyed it while playing with friends.
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
  • St3phosaurusSt3phosaurus196,371
    Posted on 11 February 21 at 08:32
    I really like these articles, thanks Luke! Only game I have played from this list is Borderlands 1 haha...the backlog is unreal. I do keep meaning to play through Bioshock but heard it was pretty spooky shock
    Good vibes only <3
  • Posted on 11 February 21 at 08:37
    I enjoyed the article, thank you.

Mafia Trilogy I will bite. I've played the first one many years ago but don't remember much about it, Mafia 2 I did and again was enjoyable other than the grindy distance achievement part of one of the DLC. Mafia 3 - I don't know whether to start as I understand a number of cumulative achievements can randomly reset.

Bioshock - I own the collection due to a friend purchasing it - is it really that good? I played some of the first one on windows a while ago and whilst it was ok, I find the whole experience a little unsettling and as I'm not a fan of horrors I wasn't jumping to go back in!
  • o Heres Jonny oo Heres Jonny o1,212,939
    Posted on 11 February 21 at 08:42
    The Manic Moose said:
    I enjoyed the article, thank you.

Mafia Trilogy I will bite. I've played the first one many years ago but don't remember much about it, Mafia 2 I did and again was enjoyable other than the grindy distance achievement part of one of the DLC. Mafia 3 - I don't know whether to start as I understand a number of cumulative achievements can randomly reset.

Bioshock - I own the collection due to a friend purchasing it - is it really that good? I played some of the first one on windows a while ago and whilst it was ok, I find the whole experience a little unsettling and as I'm not a fan of horrors I wasn't jumping to go back in!
    I really enjoyed bioshock and the atmosphere it offered, while I enjoyed all 3 the first one was my favourite. Played it on release on the 360 and remember being amazed at how good the water looked, spent a few minutes just looking at a leak! I played the re-master of it and re-enjoyed it. Throughly recommended.
    Happy Gaming
  • Posted on 11 February 21 at 09:03
    I would urge anyone to play any of these series in their entirety, the only series I havnt played out of the ones mentioned is Mafia so I might buy all of them.
    Gaming is a life of pure indulgence, world hoping at will - Leon Brown
  • Posted on 11 February 21 at 09:08
    Meh, none of those interest me, played the ones I like but I never ever touch 360 games. I prefer live service games or small indie SP games to any AAA SP title. Dragging myself through any of these old games sounds more like punishment than fun to me :P Some even have static 1990 corner cameras 'Shudder' like the early MGS and I never liked anything Bioshock either :( No 360 game is worth playing in my mind unless your playing for achievements but that is the only reason. I enjoyed the 360 era at the time but in hindsight it was probably the lowest point in the gaming industry for me, this gen has smashed it out of the water. 360 is all about nostaslgia but when you actually play them you realise how bad they are :D Playing Borderlands 1 or 2 now would be like pulling teeth :D

I can understand why people would like to play them if they didn't experience them back in the day and more power to you but for me, no thanks.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.